What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caehlim

Quote from: Dashenka on March 09, 2015, 03:57:59 AMYes Australia is in the news more and more, doing exactly that. Indonesia, Russia... Both sovereign nations and both suffering the Australian mockery for doing things differently. I love Australia and the people in it I just think the prime minister has lost it a little bit.

Well I certainly won't disagree with you that our prime minister certainly leaves a lot to be desired. His threats to "shirtfront" Putin for example had all of us here scratching our heads in confusion and wondering what was going through his brain at the time. Australians were just as confused as Russian were over that bizarre incident.

However in regards to Indonesia it would be hypocritical to criticize Australia for protesting over the execution of our citizens for crimes in Indonesia, given that the Indonesian government is presently engaged in exactly the same behaviour with other sovereign states around the world to gain amnesty for their own nationals facing execution overseas.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Dashenka

Quote from: Caehlim on March 09, 2015, 07:44:38 AM
Well I certainly won't disagree with you that our prime minister certainly leaves a lot to be desired. His threats to "shirtfront" Putin for example had all of us here scratching our heads in confusion and wondering what was going through his brain at the time. Australians were just as confused as Russian were over that bizarre incident.

However in regards to Indonesia it would be hypocritical to criticize Australia for protesting over the execution of our citizens for crimes in Indonesia, given that the Indonesian government is presently engaged in exactly the same behaviour with other sovereign states around the world to gain amnesty for their own nationals facing execution overseas.

Okay I didn't know that last one.

On the other hand, they are convicted people. Not sure how fair the trials were but Australia has no influence over other countries and their legal system. I know the same thing happened to a Dutch national who was executed for drug posession or dealing. Dutch government tried exactly the same as the Australian prime minister but where the Australians got cancelled again, the Dutch guy got executed anyway.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Caehlim

Quote from: Dashenka on March 09, 2015, 07:59:03 AMOkay I didn't know that last one.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/indonesia-got-its-own-citizens-off-death-row-but-aussie-bali-nine-duo-still-await-execution/story-fni0cx12-1227252877434

QuoteOn the other hand, they are convicted people. Not sure how fair the trials were but Australia has no influence over other countries and their legal system.

To quote Indonesian President Joko Widodo “As a head of state of course I’m going to try to save my citizens from execution”.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Dice

The whole thing stinks though. I am likely one of the few people in this country that could care less about the Death Penalty, I just think you treat the event with the respect that it is due. I do not feel that has happened here. You have two men that really have made good changes and one of them is personally funding art classes in goal to help rehabilitation with others. So if you are going to knock back clemency, at lest do so on its own merits and not as a single sweeping political statement. Give a better reason other then "The crime committed means that I can care less about these people and will not look into their cases".

Making this event "A show of force" is really what gets me though. Why is it we have to do everything in out power to keep this relationship oiled and smooth while they get to give us the finger and all round say fuck you to us? Anyway, this probably is not the place for this conversation, I am just pissed that two men can not die with something akin to dignity because some hardliners want to prove how fucking strong they are when no one is going to stop them anyway. Yes, I can be really powerful too when there is zero threat to me... Sigh.

Blythe

The SAE fraternity at OU in Oklahoma has been disbanded/banned for some freakin' awful racism.

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. Yet another reason I don't like living in Oklahoma. >_<

Dice

http://mobile.news.com.au/world/north-america/protests-erupt-in-ferguson-following-resignation-of-police-chief/story-fnh81jut-1227260257221

Well, the story ends on that ever fateful line "More to come". Can I hope it will be good news from now on that's incoming?

Lustful Bride

Sir Terry Pratchett has passed away today....T_T  Rest in Peace sir. He was a great writer and his depiction of Death made me a lot less afraid of it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

consortium11

In South Africa they're breeding mutant animals as hunters will pay more to shoot them.

I've seen this in B-movies. It never ends well.

Deamonbane

Quote from: consortium11 on March 12, 2015, 03:43:43 PM
In South Africa they're breeding mutant animals as hunters will pay more to shoot them.

I've seen this in B-movies. It never ends well.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Blythe

Oklahoma House passed a bill about marriage licenses. It's going to our Senate, who I seriously hope will not pass it. This looks like it could wreak havoc on marriage where I live. This bill was the response in Oklahoma to same-sex bans being struck down.

*sigh*

I've really got to move out of this state. I really do.

Whyyy Oklahoma. Why do you have to be like this? ;_;

Dashenka

Never ceases to amaze me how the 'land of the free' is still so homophobic. Good luck with that bill Blythe. (And everybody else being oppressed by their own government)
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Dashenka on March 13, 2015, 06:28:13 AM
Never ceases to amaze me how the 'land of the free' is still so homophobic. Good luck with that bill Blythe. (And everybody else being oppressed by their own government)

*nods* It shames me. As I always say "Either we are all free or none of us is free." the rights of anyone shouldn't come halfway.

consortium11

A German biologist and vaccine-sceptic stated that measles isn't a virus and said he'd pay €100,000 to anyone who could prove it was.

Someone did but, as in most such internet challenges the guy tried to avoid paying.

Then the courts stepped in.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: consortium11 on March 13, 2015, 10:04:23 AM
A German biologist and vaccine-sceptic stated that measles isn't a virus and said he'd pay €100,000 to anyone who could prove it was.

Someone did but, as in most such internet challenges the guy tried to avoid paying.

Then the courts stepped in.

GLORIOUS! Justice!

gaggedLouise

Some allegations are stranger than others: The NRA is wondering whether Grover Norquist is a crony of the Muslim Brotherhood and they are going to open their own investigation.  :D

It will be interesting to see what some people who might be planning to run for the presidency, or some other high offices, next year, will be saying of it.

No, not big news over here, but couldn't resist posting it. Besides Norquist's ancestors came from these shores (his last name is an instant indicator)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dice

Peter Scully was arrested and is planing a TV interview of some kind. These are the links of people that should be executed.

The worst part was looking into his past led me to a text description of a video he made. Even that gives me chills and I am a not an easy man to unhinge. I wish is was not so curious some times.

Oniya

I got as far as looking up his name and hit the 'nopenopenope' wall.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dice

Oniya

No, no - you were fine.  I was able to get headlines and that was all I needed.  The nopenopenope wall was in my brain.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Dimir

Quote from: Dice on March 15, 2015, 09:06:58 AM
Peter Scully was arrested and is planing a TV interview of some kind. These are the links of people that should be executed.

The worst part was looking into his past led me to a text description of a video he made. Even that gives me chills and I am a not an easy man to unhinge. I wish is was not so curious some times.

I'm sadly an expert on true crime cases and Peter Scully is one of the most deprived and vile child sex offenders I have ever read about. Sadly it is so easy for Western pedophiles to get away with mass victimization of children in the developing world. I can not stand it when they do that.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Oniya

On the topic of true crime cases, apparently Robert Durst has been arrested again.

gaggedLouise

It had to happen at some point: Zlatan lashes out in words against a referee over a very contentious decision at a critical point in a match, adds the taunt that "France is a crappy country that doesn't deserve a team like Paris Saint-Germain" - and Marine le Pen of the far-right wing Front National party erupts and effectively tells the football star to retract or shut up and go home (to the ghetto, to the Balkans or the like).

Even if Zlatan hasn't played for a club team here in Sweden since his early breakthrough days, the cocksure and brilliant immigrant kid from the ghetto is still a vital part of his public persona - he's like one of those black US basketball stars: showy, proud, funny and technically dazzling - and it's a big reason why he is so cherished at home. No wonder he would run into this kind of affair (and it probably hurts even more coming on the heels of the tragic deaths of three French Olympic athletes in a helicopter crash in Argentine).

Dice

This just showed up in my feed, it's fucking amazing.

3 Storeys in Each Day, China's New Normal, J57 BSB 一天三层 中国新常态: https://youtu.be/veNf-bz99cI

consortium11

I assume most people are already aware but there's been a terror attack in Tunis, with somewhere between 19 and 22 people killed (reports differ), primarily tourists, killed in the main museum by two gun men. It's worth noting that the museum is right next to the parliament building and deputies were discussing anti-terror legislation at the time; the attack may have originally been directed there with the museum being a "back up" if security was too high. Early reports seem to indicate it was ISIS members/sympathisers who carried it out; Tunisia is notable for providing large numbers of ISIS' foreign fighters

On the domestic English front, any female genital piercing now constitutes female genital mutilation and will be classified as a "harmful procedure". In and of itself this could lead to distorted statistics where the number of genuine cases of FGM is exaggerated but perhaps more worrying is the fact that this may open up legitimate tattoo and piercing studios who offer genital piercing to consenting adults to prosecution. Moreover it's yet another attack on alternative sexualities and kink in general.

gaggedLouise

Well, supposedly an ~80-85% solar eclipse is passing over this part of Europe, but the sky is too clouded around here to even get an idea it is happening. I was out in the open twenty minutes ago and had a fairly good view to the east, but there was no perceptible dip in the lighting factor. Not a big surprise actually - there was a 60% partial eclipse around here a couple of years ago and that one I managed to get to see without too much cloudiness, but the lunar shadow covering that much of the sun doesn't diminish the amount of overall light in any way. Gazing from the side, I could only just make out that the disk of the sun was getting "cut into" a bit, but the covered bit essentially looked like part of the sky behind it: all blue to grey. Nothing near the stuff you'd see in a taping of a real, total eclipse.