(WoW) Why the Alliance Hate and Why is the Horde so Popular?

Started by LunarSage, July 04, 2011, 07:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

Pugs are often.. quite able to make me want to strangle someone.
And then you get a dream run with friendly people and wonder why Blizz didn't make it possible to FL cross realm, only ignore >.>

Alucarddalv

I have heard they are talking about extending the real id groups to include raids. If this is true that could make for some awesome groups with some of my friends who have transferred off my server.
What is it to a man if he gains the world but loses his soul.

Twilight doesn't exist nor should it ever had existed. Those things are not vampires no matter how much she wants to say they are. They are fey simple as that.

Does not sparkle.....

Character Might and Magic 2: Valenar

Saerrael

Hmm... It's relatively easy to ignore list someone you just pugged with, then to ask for their real ID.

Alucarddalv

I miss understood the FL reference. I thought you meant Fire Lands not Friends list.

Twilight doesn't exist nor should it ever had existed. Those things are not vampires no matter how much she wants to say they are. They are fey simple as that.

Does not sparkle.....

Zakharra

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 04, 2011, 06:44:44 PM
Example. We had 3 plate wearers.. (DK, Ret Pali (me) and Warrior).. Shield drops that the warrior already has.. so I can roll on greed. (for off spec). The two tanks roll on plate items that drop that are tanking.. I can roll if they pass .

OMG! You raid now with a ret paladin?  I've had to retire mine because I cannot  get her anywhere near to where she should be dps wise.  The playstyle changed too much for me in Cata and I hate it  Holy Power can go DIAF for all I care and the people who let that change go through should be castrated.

/sigh  not really, but the HP change took a LOT of the fun out of playing a Ret pally for me and I cannot get the hang of playing one anymore.

Saerrael

Quote from: Alucarddalv on September 04, 2011, 08:53:17 PM
I miss understood the FL reference. I thought you meant Fire Lands not Friends list.

Hehheehe. Yeah, sorry, I meant Friends List.

Alucarddalv

Quote from: Zakharra on September 04, 2011, 08:58:43 PM
OMG! You raid now with a ret paladin?  I've had to retire mine because I cannot  get her anywhere near to where she should be dps wise.  The playstyle changed too much for me in Cata and I hate it  Holy Power can go DIAF for all I care and the people who let that change go through should be castrated.

/sigh  not really, but the HP change took a LOT of the fun out of playing a Ret pally for me and I cannot get the hang of playing one anymore.
I both like and hate the HP change to ret pallies. It makes it so I have more buttons to push and so that I actually have to pay attention a bit more. I know we don't pull quite the same as some of the other dps at first but once we get an epic weapon and the CD rotation and spacing down we can pull nice numbers in raids.

Does not sparkle.....

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 04, 2011, 08:24:03 PM
I had one guy whisper me not to MD to him.. he was a mage. Apparently the last hunter he'd paired with would MD to him 'by accident'. I've heard all manners of stories from folks.

...I must confess, there have been times I purposely TotT'd one of the other dps in the group.

They deserved it. Honest.

>.>
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Saerrael

Quote from: Shjade on September 04, 2011, 09:09:13 PM
...I must confess, there have been times I purposely TotT'd one of the other dps in the group.

They deserved it. Honest.

>.>

*laughs*

I think I love you, Shjade ;D

Zakharra

Quote from: Alucarddalv on September 04, 2011, 09:01:13 PM
I both like and hate the HP change to ret pallies. It makes it so I have more buttons to push and so that I actually have to pay attention a bit more. I know we don't pull quite the same as some of the other dps at first but once we get an epic weapon and the CD rotation and spacing down we can pull nice numbers in raids.

I haven't raided with my pally, but she's capable of doing heroics. Although I have only done two on her.  I did most of the Cata dungeons as Holy/healer, so that is what I am comfortable with now. Unfortunately, I have latency issues that make it real hard to heal in the afternoon/evenings, so no instances and the two heroics I did (Throne of Tides BOTH times!) were less than helpful in healing.

LFD  pugs are -not- new healer friendly. I got a ration of shit about what spells I should use, what gems and enchantments to use, what I should be doing and 'What a fucking phailhealer. L2P!'  (exact quote) from some of the other players. And this is after I told them I hadn't done any heroics.

" Yes, we WILL wipe several times guys I am LEARNING here so just have some patience."    /sigh   Unfortunately, the first group kicked me even though we -were- downing the bosses within two tries.  I guess I wasn't good enough.

I got the same sort of crap on my 82 DK  last week too.  We did the entire instance, with 2 wipes, yet I wasn't good enough. Not enough dps, no gems or enchantments (I am not going to enchant or gem leveling gear that I will be replacing fairly soon. It's a waste of gold and time.) Some mouthy gnome mage was telling me exactly what I -had- to use. Anything less was a fail tank. And the healer left after it was over with a 'L2P'.

"Come ON people! I'm a DK. We are, by definition, squishy tanks. No shield."

It's groups like that, that make me want to reach through the screen and beat the players upside the head with a crowbar.

Alucarddalv

Well if you get back into playing and want to heal I would be more then happy to offer my services to you if you happen to play horde....otherwise I am sorry I can't help....

Does not sparkle.....

meikle

I played a frost DK and a holy paladin before I stopped playing (over this summer).

Getting a DK tank was almost always like a groan-inducing event.  Not because I think DK players are bad (but, despite playing one, it's usually the impression that I get with pugs), but because DKs are inordinately difficult to heal, especially if they're not on top of making the best of their abilities.

Also, there are a lot of people who are still in WotLK mode, where the healer is responsible for everything and DPS and tanks aren't interested or willing to do their part to mitigate the damage they take.  I remember one instance where I got dropped into a pug with a DK tank in Stonecore who ran head first into the first group and died before I could cast Flash of Light (less than 1.5 seconds!)

Then I got kicked.

Then I immediately went on to heal my way to an Amani War Bear ... so I have a hunch my healing wasn't their problem.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Zakharra

She's a blood elf paladin. Velliria on Sentinels, US realm.

Saerrael

Quote from: meikle on September 04, 2011, 09:41:22 PM

Also, there are a lot of people who are still in WotLK mode, where the healer is responsible for everything and DPS and tanks aren't interested or willing to do their part to mitigate the damage they take.

This. Very much so.

Shjade

Quote from: Saerra on September 04, 2011, 09:11:42 PM
*laughs*

I think I love you, Shjade ;D

I don't remember much of my dungeon-running in the most recent expansion as most of it was pretty rote and dull, but I do remember at one point a pretty bad hunter was being a jerk to our tank - who was a little undergeared and inexperienced, but clearly trying and apologetic when things went wrong - as we worked our way through one of the heroic instances. On the second or third boss things looked like they were going bad and the hunter feigned death rather than try to finish off the boss before it killed us all. I kept stabbing away, healer kept me up as long as he could I vanished agro onto the healer for a little extra stabbing time, almost got him, couldn't quite. Right before he turned back around to kill me after finishing our other dps, I dumped tricks threat onto the still-feigned hunter.

He didn't think it was as funny as the rest of us did.
◕/◕'s

meikle

Also, my timer to kick people when I quit was 4 hours.

I couldn't initiate kicks ever. :(

O and O and Discord
A and A

Alucarddalv

The dungeon finder can either be a very forgiving and nice tool, or it can be the most pain in the ass unfair piece of garbage you have ever used. Or so this is my experience. I either get a good group...or the guys that think they know how to do everyone else's job better and try to drag everyone through with out using the proper tools at their disposal.

Does not sparkle.....

Shjade

Quote from: meikle on September 04, 2011, 09:41:22 PM
Also, there are a lot of people who are still in WotLK mode, where the healer is responsible for everything and DPS and tanks aren't interested or willing to do their part to mitigate the damage they take.

Very much so. It was always immediately obvious who hadn't been playing pre-LK and who had when entering a heroic. People who'd done BC heroics were on the ball with their CC for marked targets regardless of class. I was a rogue and throwing kidney stuns and blinds in the middle of fights (usually to save the healer - screw the other DPS if they can't handle their threat - but sometimes due to one of the most reliable CC's getting broken early or unexpectedly). I saw warriors switch stances to shield slam things, druids who'd hope into bear form for some impromptu tanking, some other examples of fine control, but it was far less common than the types who seemed to think the answer to things getting out of control was MORE BERSERKER ATTACKS. -.-
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zakharra on September 04, 2011, 08:58:43 PM

I don't LIKE my dps.. it's too spikey.. some Raids I'm doing 9k and tearing my hair out.. others I'm doing 14k and wondering what is going on and what have I been missing.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on September 04, 2011, 09:58:43 PM
Very much so. It was always immediately obvious who hadn't been playing pre-LK and who had when entering a heroic. People who'd done BC heroics were on the ball with their CC for marked targets regardless of class. I was a rogue and throwing kidney stuns and blinds in the middle of fights (usually to save the healer - screw the other DPS if they can't handle their threat - but sometimes due to one of the most reliable CC's getting broken early or unexpectedly). I saw warriors switch stances to shield slam things, druids who'd hope into bear form for some impromptu tanking, some other examples of fine control, but it was far less common than the types who seemed to think the answer to things getting out of control was MORE BERSERKER ATTACKS. -.-

I LOVE being a Survival hunter for CC when i do my main alt (Dwarf Hunter).. you get TWO long term CC tricks.. Ice trap AND Tranq Shot

Saerrael

Quote from: Shjade on September 04, 2011, 09:58:43 PM

*recalls 'offtanking' in TBC on his rogue*
Fuuuuun times...!

meikle

I played a DK ... the only crowd control we have is kill it faster!

I haven't played since the most recent patch, and I won't say I was the best geared DK ever (because I wasn't), but pulling 18k~ or so in a heroic makes 'not controlling your aggro' into kind of a joke.  When my DPS is 50% of the party's output (which occasionally happened when I'd end up with a group that was just geared enough for heroics, say), 'reigning it in' means 'standing around and not doing anything'.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Shjade

Quote from: meikle on September 04, 2011, 10:28:28 PM
I played a DK ... the only crowd control we have is kill it faster!

Icy Chains. If you're full frost, Hungering Cold. In a pinch, pop IBF and Death Grip or, if whatever needs to be pulled away from a squishy would also squish you, Taunt it from far enough away that it won't reach you before the taunt wears off or before it can be re-taunted by the actual tank.
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on September 05, 2011, 12:58:33 AM
Icy Chains. If you're full frost, Hungering Cold. In a pinch, pop IBF and Death Grip or, if whatever needs to be pulled away from a squishy would also squish you, Taunt it from far enough away that it won't reach you before the taunt wears off or before it can be re-taunted by the actual tank.

those work.. but even then.. of the tanks.. I think DKs are the softest for threat/agroo generation. I'm wondering what this upcoming patch will do to the mechanic..

meikle

Quote from: Shjade on September 05, 2011, 12:58:33 AM

Hungering Cold is not good crowd control.  It lasts like 10 seconds, and if you've already engaged a mob, it will break to someone's dots pretty much instantly.  Similarly, I'm about a million more times useful in a fight actually killing things than I am kiting things in circle with chains.  Crowd control which removes my DPS from the fight is just not a good idea.  If giving up 16k+ damage is worth it for a tiny bit of not-actually-CC, I'm going to be curious why the dungeon assembler put me in with four warriors!

I don't think I've ever seen someone call for off-tank as CC (not since vanilla, anyway).  It's easier just to heal the extra damage on the tank in my experience.  I mean, there's always room for emergency stuff, but I don't think of things like 'pulling an add off the healer' as crowd control (I'm referring to ways to remove targets from a fight in a more permanent kind of way when I say 'crowd control')

Talking about heroics, anyway.  I took a break from WoW toward the beginning of Cata, and no experience + no guild = no raiding, ever, so I don't play anymore. :p

O and O and Discord
A and A