Legalize it NOW!

Started by Kane Gunlock, February 23, 2010, 05:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravyn

Quote from: Will on April 04, 2010, 01:32:14 PM
* Will gives Ravyn a cookie!  Huzzah!

On that same subject...I noticed that the dangers of smoking were mentioned above.  It is entirely possible to consume cannabis in food, and it still retains the same effects.  So I say load me up on snickerdoodle pot cookies! :)
Ons and Offs

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it's worth.
-Terence McKenna

Oniya

Have you no respect for tradition?  Hash brownies, dude!  O8) O8)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lady Ayame

I'd have to disagree with the fact that people are saying that people are using Marijuana just because it's illegal, and to make it legal would "take the fun out of it"

I don't smoke because it's illegal, in fact I've stopped smoking for periods of time because I don't want to go to jail for enjoying a joint.
I smoke because it's relaxing after a long day of work, and it doesn't make me throw up, or have a hangover or act the fool like I do when I drink. I don't like the person I become when I drink.

A lot of people I know look down on me for smoking Marijuana
but in my opinion it's a lot better than getting alcohol poisoning.

It's pretty much impossible to overdose on marijuana... if you smoke too much you just go to sleep, and it's probably one of the best sleeps you'll ever have.

EDIT: also, all this talk about the dangers of mental addiction to marijuana is completely ridiculous. You can get mentally addicted to TV, hamburgers, riding your bike every day, the internet (hello, those like me on elliquiy alot haha)  ANYTHING.
it's all a matter on self control and knowing when to stop and what is the limit. For example, I enjoy a good drink every once in a while but I know once I start drinking I won't stop and bad things happen. So I choose not to drink if I can help it.

When I don't have marijuana I don't go into cold sweats, get cranky at my friends, or become sick.
I might be a little sad because I don't have anymore weed, but it's not something I'd go insane over.

all in all, it comes down to the specific person. If you have an addictive personality, you should probably stay away from substances in general.

Kate

Lady Ayame,

your views of the drug plant I agree with entirely.

Noelle

There's no reason to strike out calling it a drug. It is what it is, it's just the stigma involved with the word that makes people flip out when they hear it. Caffeine is a drug. Alcohol is a drug. Tobacco is a drug. Catnip is a drug. People (especially politicians) just like to drum up immediate, knee-jerk reactions of fear and disgust.
I still find it weird to consider myself a 'drug user' simply because of the image it conjures up in most people's minds when they hear it -- and that's not an image I particularly want to be associated with or care for -- but as I said, it is what it is. It's all just semantics anyway, I guess.

Doomsday

Quote from: Oniya on April 01, 2010, 06:05:02 PM
I seem to recall that when the German exchange students came over when I was in high school, that they didn't really 'get' the whole fascination with alcohol that we American teens had.  We, on the other hand, were amazed that one could buy beer in a McDonalds over there.

"In America sex is an obsession, in other parts of the world it is a fact."

I imagine this also applies to everything else that makes puritans cry.

Will

I've never understood why calling it a plant is supposed to make it better.  There are lots of dangerous plants in the world.  "It's a plant, so there's nothing wrong with it," right?  I seriously can't follow that logic.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

auroraChloe

Quote from: Will on April 07, 2010, 12:00:09 PM
I've never understood why calling it a plant is supposed to make it better.  There are lots of dangerous plants in the world.  "It's a plant, so there's nothing wrong with it," right?  I seriously can't follow that logic. 

goes to the point that natural is better than man made, i suppose.  and it doesn't make it 'better' per se, it's just fact. 

not at all like tossing a bunch of man made chemicals in a tub until they form crystals that will rot your brain and your teeth.  ugh. 

a/a 8/21/17

Will

But why is natural supposed to be better than manmade?  And better how?  Is salvia divinorum better for you than tylenol?  Changing the label on a substance doesn't change what it is; it's just a distraction technique.

Weed is a far sight better than crystal meth, sure.  But you can't take that one relationship and expand it to mean "plants > chemicals."
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

auroraChloe

Quote from: Will on April 07, 2010, 12:42:10 PM
Weed is a far sight better than crystal meth, sure.  But you can't take that one relationship and expand it to mean "plants > chemicals."

why can't i ? 

you have your druthers, i have mine. 

i'd love to afford organic everything, but it tends to get expensive.   >:( 

most anything man touches is perversed somehow, in my opinion.  yeah advancement is great but they more often than not bite us in the ass eventually. 
this belongs in another thread entirely, too.  sorry   :-\

a/a 8/21/17

Oniya

'Man-made' stuff tends to filter out the impurities and increase the concentration.  Swallowing two or three apple seeds won't kill you, but swallowing a cyanide capsule the same size as two or three apple seeds will.  The nicotine obtained by smoking a pack of natural tobacco probably won't kill you, but if you boil it down into sludge to extract the nicotine, you can induce a heart attack.

So, man-made is not 'better' in the sense of 'more beneficial', but in the sense of 'more effective at what it does'.  Even if that's being poisonous.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jude

Quote from: auroraChloe on April 07, 2010, 01:03:55 PM
why can't i ?

you have your druthers, i have mine. 

i'd love to afford organic everything, but it tends to get expensive.   >:( 
Well, you have the right to do and believe whatever you want and I support that.

Quote from: auroraChloe on April 07, 2010, 01:03:55 PMmost anything man touches is perversed somehow, in my opinion.  yeah advancement is great but they more often than not bite us in the ass eventually. 
this belongs in another thread entirely, too.  sorry   :-\
That's your opinion, yes, but everyone has the right to their own opinion, not their own fact, and that's not factually correct.  There is no scientific consensus that supports anything that the organic movement claims.  The studies are conflicting, contentious, and inconclusive at best, and outright show that the organic movement is counterproductive at worse.

This idea that somehow natural > unnatural is completely unfounded, not to mention largely a false premise.  Human beings have been affecting the genetic makeup of plants and animals ever since the Neolithic Revolution thanks to farming and livestock raising practices.  The whole idea of designed by nature is idiotic to begin with, when you realize that everything that's happened was essentially the result of survival of the fittest.  There is no overriding naturalistic spirit or direction; the whole concept of mother nature is entirely fabricated and really without a place in the evolution-aware modern world.

It's just one big application of the naturalistic fallacy.

Kane Gunlock

Revalation 22:2 " the river of life proceeded to flow from the throne of God, and on either side of the bank there was the tree of life, and the leaf from that tree is for the healing of the nations"

Kane Gunlock

EDIT: also, all this talk about the dangers of mental addiction to marijuana is completely ridiculous. You can get mentally addicted to TV, hamburgers, riding your bike every day, the internet (hello, those like me on elliquiy alot haha)  ANYTHING.
it's all a matter on self control and knowing when to stop and what is the limit. For example, I enjoy a good drink every once in a while but I know once I start drinking I won't stop and bad things happen. So I choose not to drink if I can help it.

When I don't have marijuana I don't go into cold sweats, get cranky at my friends, or become sick.
I might be a little sad because I don't have anymore weed, but it's not something I'd go insane over.

all in all, it comes down to the specific person. If you have an addictive personality, you should probably stay away from substances in general.

thats why I just get a gram of shwagg
[/quote]