Interest check for freeform Star Wars game

Started by RedEve, January 20, 2008, 09:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryvaken

Ok first off, nothing in the EU is as poorly written as the movies. Secondly, the movies have more internal disagreements than most of the EU...although the Legacy era really swung out in left field; that can clearly be traced to authors trying to be more like the movies. The conclusion is that the closer to the movies you get, the lower the quality becomes. There are no exceptions.

As to this 'game' of yours, as interesting as it does, in fact, sound, the number of things you've gotten wrong already tell me that whatever merits it had...well see the above conclusion.

Oh, the promotion to General was out of a comic book. OK, that's a different story entirely; those things scrape the slimy filth out of even the best authors' minds. Still not as bad as the movies.
In creativity, meaning.

Longspeak

What have I gotten wrong?  Other than discarding EU, which if you feel is wrong I will accept your judgment, what exactly have I gotten wrong?

Longspeak

Quote from: Rydia on February 15, 2008, 08:53:57 AM
I must have flown a million missions in a TIE cockpit and never made Admiral...

You probably didn't have the cocky, scruffy grin Han had.  It goes a long way come promotion time.

Ryvaken

Well without the EU there are no examples to cite, but you state that no Jedi survived the purge, no records remain intact. You're suggesting that a literally galaxy-wide organization going back thousands of years has been erased in the span of a few decades. That a group of psychic, precognizant sentients was unable to hide material or people where they would be safe from harm. As Leia said in A New Hope, "the more you tighten your fingers, the more will slip through your grasp." Or was it tighten grasp and slip through fingers? Bah, been a decade since I watched ANH. EU Grand Admiral Pellaeon had a similar opinion expressed in Force Heretic I: Remnant.

Then we have Luke's little quest. He's taking one Nebulon-b, not even enough to be called a task force, into a largely hostile galaxy, and he's looking for Jedi secrets instead of students to train. EU and movies agree that finding Force Sensitives ain't easy, and his death would be a devastating loss to Republic morale. Farmboy's got more sense than that -- you go in hard or you go in quiet, you don't try to split the difference.
In creativity, meaning.

Longspeak

Okay, so your opinion is based on my choices; you weren't trying to imply that I'd made non-EU related factual errors.  I can live with that.

Longspeak

I would appear to have two interested parties.  That is what I call enough to start the ball rolling.  Any other who might be interested are welcome to say so.

Before I open an OOC room, I need to know where to put it.  Serena and Rydia, what limits will you prefer?

Serenity Vixen

As long as the story is good, and the site limits are observed, I am happy
Although I reserve the right to quietly mention things if I discover that I am wrong about this and something actually does make me feel uncomfortable, I do not anticipate that happening though as events in my other games have caused me to re-think and expand my own personal literary limits and comfort zones :)
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Bladestorm

Ack, I missed so much...

I was thinking of playing the first male Twi'lek who isn't a fat sack of fat, a swordsman with a dancer's physique.  According to SOME of the EU, the Twi'lek are a hardy race with a long martial tradition.  Some of the books even mention some of the greatest Sith and Jedi swordmasters being Twi'lek.  Besides, lekku are hot.

Since I'm new to this site and its navigation, any help would be greatly appreciated. It's always a little difficult adjusting to a new community. ^_^

Longspeak

Bladestorm, Not sure what sort of help you're looking for but what I can give, I will.

RedEve

I'm back. Sorry, work got a little hectic there, but I see this thread got some action in my absence.

And I'm not sure how much say I still have in matters, but I would go for the remnant era myself now, for a variety of reasons.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list