Gibbons School for the Unique (1x1, FreeForm)

Started by Cascalence, July 10, 2013, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascalence

Established in the early 1900s, the Gibbons School for the Unique is a school shrouded in mystery.  Known only for accepting students and staff based on some unknown criteria, the school has gone virtually unnoticed in its near century-long standing.  However, it has managed to produce some great minds that somehow have gone completely unnoticed by history.  Men and women that have contributed to society in lasting ways, but are not household names.  How very strange....

The players:
Demigod1945
Cascalence
We are not presently accepting any other players.  This is currently a 1x1 roleplay.  Feel free to follow/read.

Names to know:
Luc Gibbons (Headmaster, NPC)
Daniel Church (Student, Demigod1945)
Cody Lee (Student, NPC/Demigod1945)
Amanda Pratchett (English Teacher, Cascalence)
Casca's O/O's--A work in progress

Cascalence

Name: Daniel Church
Sexuality:  Straight
Played By: Demigod1945
Known relatives: none
Professions: (currently) student
Human Appearance
Werewolf Appearance
Supernatural Powers: Daniel is a hybrid of a vampire and werewolf, thus he has the following abilities.
Longevity: Do to his vampire side, Daniel has a greatly increased lifespan, but he is not immortal, because of his werewolf side.
Shape shifting: Daniel can shift in to three forms, human, wolf, and werewolf. This process is not very fast and is painful. He is in control of when he changes, and of himself, when he is in wolf and werewolf form.
Increased durability: Daniel can take severe punishment, being shot, stabbed, and even thrown off of high places has little effect on him. He does feel pain, and he must be given time to properly recover.
Increased strength and speed: Daniel has ten times the strength and speed of a normal human, and he is five times faster and stronger than normal vampires.
Regenerative factor: Daniel can heal much faster than humans, and can heal much graver wounds.
Fire resistance: While other vampires can be killed by fire, he can't, but he can be incapacitated by it.
Weaknesses: While being powerful Daniel does have weaknesses.
Sunlight: While it doesn't burn him, the sun does cause Daniel to get migraines, and he does become weaker in strength and speed.
Blood hunger: While his need and desire for blood isn't as strong for him compared to regular vampires, it is still present, and he must feed every two weeks.
Silver: If silver touches Daniels skin, he will get burned, silver weapons cause him more harm than other weapons.
Decapitation: The only true way to kill Daniel is to cut off his head and seperate it from his body.
Personality: On the outside, Daniel seems to only care for himself. But deep down, he cares too much, forcing himself to stay distant from others.
Background: Not much is known of his history or his place of birth.

Name: Amanda Pratchett
Sexuality:  Straight
Played By: Cascalence
Known relatives: Brother, Richard Pratchett
Professions: English Teacher
Appearance
Supernatural Powers: None; human.
Personality: Bright, passionate and quick witted, Amanda is ready to take on her first year of teaching, determined to be stern enough to discipline, compassionate enough to have an open ear for anyone that needs to talk, and still remain professional enough to be taken seriously by her peers.
Background:  Amanda is fresh out of college, and ready to begin teaching eager young minds.  After months of seeking employment, she finally gets a bite from a co-ed dormitory school.  After being interviewed and offered a position as an English teacher, she readily accepted.  Especially since the position came with the opportunity to live right on the campus, in the special teacher dormitories!  A job with free room and board?  What could possibly go wrong?

Cascalence

It was early.  Just before dawn.  And Amanda was awake.  She had been for almost an hour now.  She'd showered and dressed.  Made her bed.  And gathered her teaching supplies and plans into a large rolling suitcase.  Straightening her modest dark gray knee-length skirt, and smoothing her pink  V-neck tee, she glanced in the mirror, biting her lower lip.  "...Hair back," she murmured nervously, quickly moving and grabbing a hair tie off the dresser and securing her hair, which curled slightly at the ends, into a low ponytail.  Letting out a breath of nervous air, she decided she appearance was well enough and grabbed the suitcase.  She paused and pulled a piece of paper from her pocket, looking at the school floor plan once more.  The ground floor held cafeteria, gymnasium, and some classrooms, along with the main office and counseling offices.
The upper floors were all classrooms.  Student dorms were in two separate buildings to the left of the school, and teacher dorms were in a smaller building to the right of the school.
Her classroom was on the second floor.  Room 213.  Folding the paper back up once more, she tucked it back into her pocket and grabbed the suitcase, heading out of her room and locking it up.  Then she headed out of the teacher dorms, relatively silent save the small clack her comfortable flat heeled shoes made on the floor.
Walking into the school, she looked around the presently dimly-lit hallways.  It was empty...save a lone custodian that was mopping up the floors before the day began, further down to the left...in front of what Amanda was almost certain were the gymnasium doors.  He took no notice of her, so she continued on, moving up the main set of stairs, grunting a bit as she had to haul her suitcase up from the floor and carry it.
Finally making it to the landing for the second floor, Amanda set the suitcase back down and smiled broadly.  ...She was so excited.  She began to all but power-walk past classrooms, and quickly found hers.  Pulling out her keys, she flipped through them, deftly finding the key for the locked door.  Inserting the key, she thought she could hear the tumblers of the lock accepting the grain of the key.  Turning it, she opened the door and looked in, flipping on the light switches.  The room lit up, and...it was what she was expecting.  Empty, save seven rows of five desks each, with a large wooden desk at the forefront.  And dusty.  She was expecting that, too.  She'd brought a duster and was prepared to whip the room into shape.  Her eyes went to the whiteboard at the front of the classroom.  Good.  She preferred white boards over blackboards.  Though, there was a blackboard at the back of the classroom.  Oh, well.  She pulled her key from the lock and blocked the door open with a wooden triangle block that was on the inside of the room, then pulled her suitcase in, parking it next to the desk.
Opening the windows that made up the far wall of the classroom, Amanda breathed in the cool breeze that filled the room, then turned and extracted her duster, getting to work on dusting all surfaces in the room.  Slowly, she whipped it into shape.  Next came the motivational posters.  She placed them as strategically as she could along the wall of the classroom, giving the room some life and color.  And finally, she began to unpack lesson plans and important documents, filling the drawers of the desk.  A last touch was adding chalk to the shelf along the blackboard, and dry erase markers along the shelf for the white board.  Tomorrow morning, she would have to be in just as early.  That would be when her text books would be delivered, along with the first book her students were to read for the semester.  She was thankful that the delivery man, and not herself, would have to haul all those books up the stairs.
But now the hallways of the school were beginning to become busy, with teachers opening up their already-prepared classrooms, and students who were eager to learn.  Looking at the time, Amanda sighed softly.  Most students would be eating breakfast right then.  She had maybe half an hour before students really began to show up.  With that thought in mind, she looked at the windows.  ...The room was aired out already from her earlier dusting session.  So she stood and closed them up, and then went to her desk, pulling out the syllabus.  She thumbed at the papers and moved, slowly placing one on each desk as she waited for time to pass.

Demigod1945

The room was filled with the smells of well-cooked eggs, gravy and biscuits, and bacon. As well as it should be, considering that it was the schools cafeteria, and breakfast time. Daniel looked around the well lit room, which was rather large. Although he was hungry, Daniel wasn't here for the food, not that he would want to eat it. Really, he was here to find his best friend. Cody Lee. Daniel scanned the room for the tall and thin teenager. And there he was, on the far side of the cafeteria, eating by himself. Daniel made his way over to him, saying hi to anyone he knew along the way. He sat beside by Cody, and looked over at him. "You have a lot of courage my friend, to try such a bold stunt as last night." He said with mocking tone. Even though he hadn't laid foot in the Britain for well over 75 years, his accent was still present, not heavy, but you could easily tell he wasn't from the US. Cody looked over at him, a look of confusion on his face. "Not sure what you mean dude, I do a lot of stunts."
Daniel heaved a sigh, he figured that Cody would play dumb. But something as serious as this was not to be trifled with.
      "You know exactly what I'm talking about, you know the guy from your neighborhood. The one who hates your guts?" Cody nodded. "Well he turned up dead this morning, his body ripped apart." A look of understanding dawned on Cody's face. Which twisted into a look of annoyance.
"You think I did this?" he asked sternly, Daniel looked around, Cody's response had been loud, but no one paid attention to the two. "I'm not saying that, I'm just-" He was interrupted by the school bell, announcing that classes were about to start. "We'll discuss this later." Daniel then stood up from the table and left the cafeteria, he made his way through the hallways to his first class, English, in room 213. Eventually he was standing right in the doorway, he saw that several students had already taken seats in various parts of the room. He walked up to the first seat in the row closest to the door. He took his seat, and looked at the new teacher. The new teacher was a woman, she looked to be in her twentys, in the back of his mind, Daniel thought that she was attractive. He looked away and studied the motivational posters, many of them with corny phrases designed to get students to work harder or turn homework in on time. After reading about five of them, he turned away, and looked at his desk, where he noticed the syllabus sitting on top. He picked it up and flipped through it couple of times. "So this new teacher was organized" he thought to himself."I just hope she not strict" he set the syllabus down and looked forward. Waiting for class to finally start.

Cascalence

Amanda had moved to her desk, working on a copy of the syllabus to outline how she was going to address the students about it as they began to trickle in.  She heard the warning bell and bit her lower lip, reviewing her notes on her copy of the syllabus quickly.  Then the starting bell for class rang.  She looked up to see her classroom seats were full, save two seats in the very back of the classroom.  Not absent students, she knew, from reviewing her roster.  Just the average size of the classes allowed for a few spare seats every now and again.  She stood, softly pushing back the rolling desk chair as she did so, looking over the chattering student.  She squared her shoulders and lifted her head, speaking up.  "Everyone, please quiet down!" she spoke.  The students more toward the front, and most of them toward the middle immediately quieted and turned to face her.  She almost smiled, happy they had listened.  ...But there were still plenty of students, not in their seat and talking and laughing the back of the class.  "Please get to your seats and quiet down!" she spoke again.
When the teens continued to ignore her, a flicker of annoyance came to her eyes, though she kept it from her features.  She opened the top middle drawer of the desk, mostly for pencils, pens, and markers, and extracted a wooden ruler.  Without turning, she struck it hard against the whiteboard, a resounding crack filling the room.  The students all stopped and stared and she smiled gently.  "Please, sit down in your seats and quiet down," she ordered in a firm voice.  Slowly, they all took on their seats, some looking disgruntled for the interruption to their conversation.  Giving a nod as the last one was seated, Amanda tucked the ruler back it the desk drawer and closed it.
"On your desks, you all will find a copy of the syllabus for the school year, broken down by semester and then week.  Today, we are going to spend the majority of the class time reviewing the syllabus, and toward the end of class, I will take role call.  After that, you will be able to use the rest of class time to ask me any questions you feel have been left unanswered, or, if there are none, you may talk quietly amongst yourselves," she said.
"Let us start with the class rules.  Firstly, arrive to class on time.  It is disruptive if you stumble in here late, especially if it is excessively so.  I'm not saying not to come to class if you wake up late; you may miss something important if you do.  But I am saying to please avoid such a scenario.  It is best to be on time, or even early, to ensure that you don't miss out on something that could potentially be on a quiz.
Second, class participation is a requirement, and counts toward your grade.  If you sleep during class, I will take off your participation grade for it.  Likewise, if I notice you not even attempting to answer questions for more than two weeks in a row, I will take off on your participation grade for it.
Next, no food or open containers in the classroom.  I will allow bottles of soda or water, but they must be kept closed when you are not drinking from them.  I'm sorry if you woke late and missed breakfast, but you will just have to tough it out until lunch.
...I will allow gum in the classroom.  But the first time I hear it popping during a lecture, or find it stuck to the floor, wall, or on any surface it does not belong on, I will revoke this option.  I am not here to clean up after all of you...I am here to educate you," Amanda spoke, a stern look moving about the classroom.  She then glanced down at the syllabus, before looking back up.
"Music devices are also allowed.  However!" she started, as some students murmured excitedly, waiting for it to die back down, "They are only to be used during quiet reading times, and not loudly enough to disrupt another student.  If I receive a complaint, you will have to put it up.  I will also permit music devices to be used during essay writing, though not during tests," she stated.
Glancing back down, she then looked back up.  "No passing notes in class.  It's disruptive, especially if the note is going from the front of the class to the back, or vice versa.  If I catch a note being passed, I will take it and read it to the entirety of the class."

She looked back down.  That looked like it was all for the rules.  She looked up.  "Any questions?" she spoke, giving a chance before she moved on with the syllabus and detailed the lesson plan for the semester for students to offer their input.

Demigod1945

Daniel listened carefully as Ms. Pratchett, explained the rules of the class, and was quiet during her entire  speech. When she asked for questions, he raised his hand and then immediately asked his question. "Can I have your number?" he said with a grin. The whole class laughed.

Cascalence

Amanda blinked and stared, feeling her cheeks begin to heat in embarrassment.  Trying to contain the blush, she swept a stern gaze across the classroom to quell the laughter, before turning it back to the teen that had spoken the question.  Her expression still stern, she added a frown to her lips.  "Young man, it is perfectly alright to ask that question of one of your peers, but I will not tolerate such behavior directed toward me," she spoke in a just-calm-enough voice.  Her eyes then swept back to the rest of the class.  "The same applies to all of you.  I had better not receive any such unprofessional behavior from any of you directed toward me," she stated clearly, raising her head authoritatively.  "Now...are there any real questions, specifically directed toward the syllabus or the rules?" she asked.  When she received none, she nodded and looked down at the syllabus, continuing on with it.
For the next half hour, she went over the syllabus for the year.
There would be four essays, one of which would be at the end of the first semester, and the last being at the end of the second semester, leaving the other two for midterms.
They would be reading three books that year.  To Kill A Mockingbird, Cold, Sassy Tree, and Of Mice and Men.  All of which she would be providing copies of.
There would be small quizzes, some tests...with only two big tests, placed at the end of each semester.
Finally, she finished and asked if there were any questions once again, looking about.

Demigod1945

Daniel's goal with unnerving teacher, seemed successful at first, then went down hill almost instantly. He looked directly at Ms Pratchett scolded him and the rest if the class for laughing. Then it was like the joke never even happened. She immediately started on going over the syllabus. Daniel paid little attention to it, electing to open his notebook and draw doodles about halfway through the class instead. He continued to do so until he heard Ms. Pratchett ask for questions again. He again raised his hand, but waited to be called on first.

Cascalence

Amanda's wary eyes shot to the teen from earlier as he raised his hand, but she quickly erased the emotion from her eyes and expression, trying to keep calm in front of the class.  Having not yet taken role and learned anyone's name, she simply nodded toward him in acknowledgement.  "Yes?  You have a question?" she queried, hoping he wouldn't try to embarrass her further.  She'd yet to come up with any real consequences for offenses, and could only think of having him serve detention, which probably wasn't the best option given the boy's apparently flirty nature.  However, it was promising that he had waited to be called on first this time, before asking his question.  ...She hoped.

Demigod1945

Once Ms. Pratchett gave him permission to speak, Daniel didn't hesitate. "Of the three books you said we would read Cold, Sassy Tree was written by Olive Ann Burn correct?" He paused then continued. "I was wondering if we could read that first?" He smiled sheepishly he remembered when he first bought the book in 1989, it had instantly become a favorite of his. He could hear his classmates grumble among themselves, disappointed that he didn't make another crack at their new teacher. He just hoped that his question be taken seriously.

Cascalence

Listening to the question, Amanda felt herself relax, her tense shoulders slumping just slightly.  Oh, dear, she didn't mean to have appeared so tense in front of her students.  Giving a slow upward curl of her lips-a smile-she looked down at the syllabus.  Really, she had intended the books to be read in the order she'd listed them...but it wouldn't take too much work to switch around the first two books.  Looking up, she gave a slow nod.  "We can do that," she said, giving a somewhat warm and encouraging smile.  She looked around.  "Everyone, please mark the change on your syllabus.  We will be reading Cold, Sassy Tree first, and To Kill A Mockingbird second," she stated.  After the change was made and it seemed there were no further questions, she moved and opened a leather binder on her desk, beginning role call, noting each student's face with their name as best as she could.  It would take time for her to actually learn, but she was always quick on the uptake, so she was confident she'd have faces matched to names by the end of the week.  After that, she sat down, signaling that the students could talk amongst themselves until class was over.

Demigod1945

After having request accepted, Daniel was contempt with sitting quietly in seat. When his name was called he raised his hand and immediately said "present" somehow his accent got a lot thicker in the word, but his teacher either didn't notice, or didn't care. When she sat down and signaled for everyone to talk quietly, he turned around to mingle with his classmates. Mostly just small talk, and making fun of each other. Eventually he grew bored, and decided to make conversation with his teacher. He stood up from his seat and walked over. "Hi" he said a bit sheepishly. You think that over 300 years he would learned how to confront people a bit better. He also wondered if what kind of supernatural she was. She certainly wasn't a vampire, if she was werewolf he couldn't tell. And she was definitely not a spirit of some kind. He hoped to find out soon.

Cascalence

As the students had begun to talk, the previous silence of the room was quickly shattered.  Quiet talking became chattering, and chattering became a moderate torrent of noise.  Still, Amanda was focused on a new task and didn't bother with hushing the students back down to a quieter volume.  She was working on rearranging the lesson plan to accommodate Daniel's request.  She was only drawn from her busy scribbling when she heard a nearby voice speak.  Looking up at the word of greeting, she met the teen's sheepish gaze with azure hues.  She stared almost owlishly for a moment, her mind pulling from her work, before she gave a small smile, her hands moving to clasp over the paperwork as her attention switched to her student.  "Hello...Daniel, right?  What did you need, honey?" she asked with a fairly polite and warm smile.