News:

Main Menu

Is the PS3 like a PS2?

Started by BΣKKΞT, June 28, 2011, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BΣKKΞT

I heard a little about the PS3 before I started training. But I do not think I was in the States when it came out. I was always a pretty heavy Gamer. Played alot of Nintendo 64 (Old), PS1, PS2. And I think that's it. How good does a PS3 run? And by all the "Off-Topic" Threads of talking about Games like InFamous, I am guessing it is Pretty good.

Tsenta

PS3 are pretty solid systems but there's some key differences from a PS2, the controllers are primarily wireless like 360 controllers.   There's no slots for memory cards (all built-in) and newer models of PS3's won't be able to play PS2 games unfortunately.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

BΣKKΞT

Hmm... Thank you for a good semi-description.

NotoriusBEN

get a ps3 if there are a few exclusive titles to it that you *REALLY* want to play.
I own one, and for the most part, it's been collecting dust since there isnt really any decent titles on it. (to me at least). I've only played Valkyria Chronicles, Infamous 1 and 2, Demon Souls and a couple other titles (very worth it to me). I personally HATE Killzone and Uncharted IPs. I think the handling is atrocious in those titles.

also, the playstation network got hacked, TWICE, a month or so ago. there was a real big stink about it in the gaming community.
the first time was a political statement or some stupid thing, the second time stole most users' info (stored credit card info among other stuff)

PSN has been trying to do damage control, but from what news I've been hearing, they put the network back up, but havent done anything to remedy their security. Im sure they have, but I havent heard anything about.

personally, Id go with a PSP (the handheld). A PSP is to the PS3 like a Nintendo DS is to the Wii. its the cooler little brother of the big system, and there are more, awesomer titles for them.

that's my breakdown

Tsenta

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on June 29, 2011, 02:29:22 AM
personally, Id go with a PSP (the handheld). A PSP is to the PS3 like a Nintendo DS is to the Wii. its the cooler little brother of the big system, and there are more, awesomer titles for them.

that's my breakdown

Not to mention the PS1 titles you can digitally download and play ON the PSP. :P
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Malefique

Well, I have a PS3 (along with lots of other consoles, mine is a house of teched up weirdoes) and it sees a lot of use.  The network hack didn't affect any account in my household, we had no problems at all apart from the net being down, but we have had repeated technical outs of the Xbox live network which has caused much distress when it's gone down in the middle of games of Left 4 Dead.  The ps3 won't play ps2 games, which I agree sucks, but it does play some ps 1 games and it also plays blu-ray discs, which is a big bonus; we do have a separate blu-ray player, but sometimes I don't feel like jacking it in to the slots (too many devices to leave it plugged in) so we can just use the ps3.  And no need for extra controllers to play the blu rays, you can use the normal controller.  Plus it works through my home router with no extra gadgets or wires, connected wirelessly from the word go - and our Xbox 360 elite needed a special wireless adapter which only connects to the router properly about one try in 3, so we usually wind up with a cable across the room to connect it the old way.  And I have to say there are some good ps3 games - like Little Big Planet, Disgaea 3, God of War, Heavy Rain, Killzone,  and Resistance.  Though Naughty Bear was a letdown.
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Tekimoto

Well the PS3 is much faster than the ps2 of course.
It has like 7 processors I thought.  It has less RAM than the xbox though but it isnt really needed. 
In my opinion it runs perfectly as its supposed to and the 3d compatibility is great ;)