News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A question! (Biology and Medicine)

Started by Sherona, November 30, 2007, 02:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Why are humans Prone to forget dreams, even when they seem so vivid upon waking. (over simplified question, :P)

Nitewalk

Quote from: Sherona on November 30, 2007, 02:01:40 PM
Why are humans Prone to forget dreams, even when they seem so vivid upon waking. (over simplified question, :P)

Due to the nature of human memory, that's the short answer. Over time detail fades from our memories until even the most vivid memories of your life can sometimes be something totally different than what actually happened in reality. This is why psychiatrists can implant memories into people under hypnosis and why individual perception of events (particularly when recalled years later) cannot always be trusted.

This is why I always write down my dreams (the ones I care to preserve) right after I wake up. :)

Sherona

Dreams tend to fade even faster then normal memory (or else wouldn't be much of a question) A little hint, Stumpell is the name of the author of the theory I am thinking of :)(not really a theory..more like a conjecture)

Edit: However your answer is partially correct but there is two more parts to this theory that all work in tandem together to cause our dreams to fade so quicklly :D

Nitewalk

I would imagine dream memories are created differently than real memories, so maybe that's why dream memories fade and real memories tend to be more vivid, longer...but then how could people experience sleep paralysis, experience being attacked as if it were happening in reality, and believe in their experiences wholeheartedly and refuse to believe they were dreams? Hmm.

Edit: Of course I could get into whether it's really a dream or a real entity attack... that's a whole other topic.

Sherona

Ok here is the complete answer in short.

http://www.psywww.com/books/interp/chap01d.htm

The first factor is as Nitewalk has stated, the normal reasons for forgetfulness in waking moments, happen to the dreamworld to. The second factor is the human mind tend to forget the one time events that occur and focus more on the repetitive (which is why people's long term memory over a single event can not be trusted as well as their long term memory about a routine event) Of much greater significance is a third cause of forgetting. In order that feelings, representations, ideas and the like should attain a certain degree of memorability, it is important that they should not remain isolated, but that they should enter into connections and associations of an appropriate nature. If the words of a verse of poetry are taken and mixed together, it will be very difficult to remember them. "Properly placed, in a significant sequence, one word helps another, and the whole, making sense, remains and is easily and lastingly fixed in the memory.

:)

Is someone elses turn to pose a question :D

Sherona

Queen Anne's Lace can be used in what process of making fabrics?

Sherona

*grins* I didn't know you wanted an explanation on what each was :) The eplanation was on the site I ot the info from, just kept it short and sweet :)

What function does Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum play?

Pumpkin Seeds

Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum's function is to synthesize and export proteins and glycoproteins. 

For a response question, why does the AV node of the heart delay the contraction?

Sherona

nice job Asku :D I will try and let someone else answer that question to give others a chance to play :D

Vekseid

I had to cheat and get a hint, Sherona provided this link about natural dyes for fabric.

Apparently, the seeds were also used as a natural contraceptive - interesting stuff for fantasy worlds.

Since you asked such a womanly question... :-p

Sherona

It is believed by many individuals that humans beat out primates like Chimpanzee's in all cognitive functions. Recent study has shown that this is not true, Chimpanzee's show one form of cognitive functions that best homosapiens. Indentify this function.

strangely made

Memory, specifically numerical recollection.

My turn.

In String theory is is possible to construct a string where the left-moving excitations think they live on a bosonic string propagating in D = 26 dimensions and the right-moving excitations think they belong to a superstring in D = 10 dimensions.

The mismatched 16 dimensions must be compactified on an even, self-dual lattice
How ever there are two possible even self-dual lattices in 16 dimensions, and it leads to two types of the heterotic string.

What are they?

Sherona

Vekseid

Post that under Physics, Strangely :-p

strangely made

Bugger...........that's what you get for posting when your not really with it.

Vekseid

I don't particularly much care for the study, myself - chimps naturally have faster reaction times so upping the speed rather than the complexity does not convince me.

Question! Near the human nose there appears to be a dilapidated organ that functions as another potential sensory organ, but is neither sight nor smell, but is still thought to be partially functional despite a great deal of atrophy. What is this sense?

strangely made

Would it be the vomeronasal organ (Jacobson's organ)?
Situated at the anterior edge of the neural plate and enclosed in a separate bony or cartilaginous capsule which opens into the base of the nasal cavity. It's a chemoreceptor organ and potentially used to detect specific chemical compounds contained within scents that are often, but not always, large non-volatile molecules.

There is controversy about whether adults have functioning VNO's although The presence of a VNO in human embryos goes undisputed In fact, the human embryonic VNO possesses bipolar cells and luteinizing hormone releasing hormone (LHRH) producing cells.

Vekseid

The organ I am referring to has nothing to do with chemical analysis and lies between the eyes.

Sherona

*gives up* every search I do gives me about 7 pages of articles about the Vomeronasal organ..and can't read any more about "the Sex Organ Up the Nose"...>.>

Vekseid

Magnetoception is the sense of magnetic fields, commonly possessed in birds and other animals, including, it is believed, bees.

Humans apparently have a small deposit of magnetite in the ethmoid bone, and some studies to suggest that humans possess a rudimentary compass. It is easily thrown off by visual cues, but blind studies have shown that humans are capable of telling direction which nearby magnets are capable of disrupting.

Sherona

Thats interesting :D I hadn't heard about this yet.

strangely made

So that why you get the little tingly sensation if you put something close but not touching just between the eyes?...........cool.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, nobody seemed to like my last question.  So here's another one.  Not sure if you can google answer this one nor do I even know if I'm asking it the right way.  Yet, here we go.

Post-op patient goes immediately into respiratory arrest while still on the surgery table.  There is no exchange of gases occurring in the lungs and so the CO2 levels are high.  Staff begins resuscitation of the patient.  Before the patient is intubated, the physician begins to administer epinephrine.  The patient receives nearly 15mg of epinephrine over the course of ten minutes to little effect.  Patient is then successfully intubated and gas exchange is achieved.  Suddenly the patient’s heart rate and pressure increases dramatically.

What caused the sudden rise in pressure and heart rate?

Vekseid

Quote from: Asku on December 03, 2007, 04:45:44 AM
For a response question, why does the AV node of the heart delay the contraction?

Eeep.

In order to give time for the Atria have released blood into the ventricles before the heart contracts?

QuotePost-op patient goes immediately into respiratory arrest while still on the surgery table.  There is no exchange of gases occurring in the lungs and so the CO2 levels are high.  Staff begins resuscitation of the patient.  Before the patient is intubated, the physician begins to administer epinephrine.  The patient receives nearly 15mg of epinephrine over the course of ten minutes to little effect.  Patient is then successfully intubated and gas exchange is achieved.  Suddenly the patient’s heart rate and pressure increases dramatically.

What caused the sudden rise in pressure and heart rate?

Epinephrine is adrenaline, apparently :-p

Vekseid

What mechanisms cause aging, and what can be done to stop or even reverse the process, at least in theory?

(There is a rather lot to this answer).