PDF Reader

Started by Saerrael, February 01, 2012, 06:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

I have a clean PC and I need a PDF reader, but I'm not so thrilled about what I've read about Adobe's reader.
I'm wondering what would come recommended. And why.

On the system I'm going to install it on, I run Vista (yes, I know), if that's info you'd want.

jouzinka

I used to like Foxit Reader, but at some point it started to freeze Firefox for me, so I moved back to Adobe.

Not sure if it was bug or a problem on my part.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Saerrael

Quote from: jouzinka on February 01, 2012, 06:58:22 PM
I used to like Foxit Reader, but at some point it started to freeze Firefox for me, so I moved back to Adobe.

Not sure if it was bug or a problem on my part.

Hm, good question. Firefox is what I use, too.

Oniya

Quote from: Saerra on February 01, 2012, 06:53:52 PM
I have a clean PC and I need a PDF reader, but I'm not so thrilled about what I've read about Adobe's reader.
I'm wondering what would come recommended. And why.

On the system I'm going to install it on, I run Vista (yes, I know), if that's info you'd want.

You might want to check this thread.  Veks lists a couple of PDF readers that you can add to your research as well as a bunch of other helpful utilities.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on February 01, 2012, 07:00:10 PM
You might want to check this thread.  Veks lists a couple of PDF readers that you can add to your research as well as a bunch of other helpful utilities.

I did :) I just didn't find;
QuoteHow is Adobe's PDF Reader like a swiss cheese factory? If you don't need Adobe's bells and whistles, kill it with fire and download Sumatra PDF or Foxit's free reader instead.
all that explanatory.

Vekseid

I link to Sumatra PDF:
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

I've never had it break Firefox, though it isn't as aggressive about loading in-browser - if the website doesn't have mime types set correctly, you end up downloading instead of opening in the browser.

There are a few pdfs it didn't read well a couple years back - should check to see if that's fixed.

Primarily, though, it just loads faster than Adobe does, in addition to not having the security issues.

Saerrael

*nods* Sounds like it's interesting. I'll test it for what I want to use it for and see if it does the trick.

Merci!