Save Messages and Posts

Started by MasterMischief, February 01, 2012, 02:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

How would one go about saving their messages and posts locally to their hard drive.  With the likely server change coming up, I want to save my stuff.

Autumn Sativus

One by one, copy/pasta...

I host mine on GoogleDocs.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Lord Drake

Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

GothicFires

File -> Save page as in firefox.
File -> Save as in Internet explorer

I've been saving all of my current games after every post for about a year now. Your computer will create a folder with the name that you label the file. When you open it it will open in your web browser.

note if you have more posts than is allowed with the 'all' function I would save each page and label the post numbers in the file name. On this site each page holds 25 post. So if you save with a file name of 'story post 1-25.php.htm' When you have the 1st 25 posts... you will save to a new file 26-50 until you hit post 50 and then change the file name again once you hit post 51.

Hope that makes sense.

I also keep my post on a usb memory key so I will always be able to work regardless of what computer I am on or availability of an internet connection.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Vekseid

Quote from: MasterMischief on February 01, 2012, 02:56:52 PM
How would one go about saving their messages and posts locally to their hard drive.  With the likely server change coming up, I want to save my stuff.

As I mention in the post, we do a snapshot backup each day, and that gets pulled after a several hours offsite. Thus, we never risk losing more than ~30 hours worth of posts/pms. So you don't need to worry about saving them -all- if that's a concern.

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Vekseid on February 01, 2012, 03:13:14 PM
As I mention in the post, we do a snapshot backup each day, and that gets pulled after a several hours offsite. Thus, we never risk losing more than ~30 hours worth of posts/pms. So you don't need to worry about saving them -all- if that's a concern.
Will there be some warning before the server change so that we know to save our last two days posts?
Us against the world

MasterMischief

Quote from: Vekseid on February 01, 2012, 03:13:14 PM

I did see that.  I am just overly paranoid.  Been burned a few times.

Caeli

If you don't care so much about appearances, the easiest way to save a long thread is to hit the "print" button in the thread options (the menu with "reply" & "add bookmark" & "notify" & "mark unread") and then save the HTML file. Unlike saving from the forum view, you get rid of all unnecessary stuff (like profile information, avatars, signatures, etc.), and all of your posts appear on one page. It's certainly not the prettiest option, but it's probably the fastest way to go about backing up your threads. If you had any images or embedded links in the posts, they show up in parentheses, so you don't lose any additional/complementary information for your roleplay.

I've actually sometimes sent these versions to my Kindle, so I can catch up on or re-read them (after picking them up in the post-hiatus stage of coming back to Elliquiy).
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

Quote from: Saffron on February 01, 2012, 03:15:18 PM
Will there be some warning before the server change so that we know to save our last two days posts?

?

We're not going to lose posts in that situation, why would we?

Autumn Sativus

Maybe I'm not understand when/why we'd need to save our posts then? I thought it was going to be because of the server changing.
Us against the world

Vekseid

Quote from: Saffron on February 01, 2012, 04:06:08 PM
Maybe I'm not understand when/why we'd need to save our posts then? I thought it was going to be because of the server changing.

It's highlighted in red because I'm planning on pulling down the slave server, which means changes to the database aren't automagically duplicated to the slave. Right now the only feasible way to lose a post after it's made is if something physically destroys the cage the servers are located in.

The drives on the main server are still on twin RAID 1. Losing data is not particularly likely.

Oniya

Perhaps a notice when you actually pull the slave server, and we reach the time period when data loss is more likely.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MasterMischief

Sorry to have added confusion.

Elina

No, don't apologize!  This was helpful.