News:

Main Menu

Gritty Reboot

Started by Sabby, September 10, 2010, 08:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Tell us your gritty reboot, no matter how unneeded or terrible the idea :)

For instance... how would you handle Super Mario Brother's if made into a dark, realistic film? Would Mario be a part of Italian organized crime with a pistol, and his arch-nemesis Bowser be the obese crime lord he worked for, who had a hit put out on him, and was brutally mutilated when the fight caused the building to collapse, riddling his back with metal spikes?

Maybe he has a love of flammable alcohols and can breath fire :) and maybe Mario was a cage fighter before his mob days and favours breaking limbs with his steel boots by jumping on opponents. Maybe 'Princess Peach' is just the stripper name of his junkie girlfriend. And maybe his twin brother Luigi took a bullet in the head and was never quite right after the surgery.

What's your gritty reboot? Power Rangers? Scooby Doo? Sonic? Zelda?

Literal Chaos

A pink-haired girl moves quickly and quietly through the dirty streets and alleyways of a now deserted city, avoiding the acid rain wherever possible.  Her manner of dress is ann odd combination of girly and leather, her unnatural hair color being the cherry on top of her rebellious appearence.  She dashes quickly from a torn awning to the front stoop of what used to be an apartment building, then an all-out sprint to the decrepit, half-destroyed gazebo in the park nearby.  Her scalp still stings from the exposure to the acidic death falling from the sky.  In the distance she can see the twin columns of pure pollution rising to meet the stormclouds above, only one of hundreds in her former home, she knows.  The lucky one that will cease to exist tonight.

She reaches for the small device kept in a waterproof bag at ther belt, flipping a switch and sending out an encrypted message to her fellow rebels.  "Rose in position."

One by one her comrades respond.

"Sally here, we're good to go."

"Miles in position."

"Rotor, almost there."

"Je suis prêt."

One by one they send their confirmations.  Each of the others has a small team with them, but Rose doesn't need a team.  She looks back in the direction she came and sees the only backup she'll need today.  He stands atop a nearby building, his long, blue, spiked hair hidden beneath a hood.  He peers into the distance, having a better vantage on the target factory than her.  Good people will die today, they both know, but they will not die in vain.  If everything goes as planned, one more factory will be so much rubble and more of their friends and family will be free to resume the lives they had when they were made of flesh and blood.

The chaotic force of nature known only as Sonic backs away from the rooftop's edge, bouncing up and down slightly as he limbers himself up.  He goes into a three point crouch as he turns back towards the factory, and he puts on one of his trademark smirks before flicking on the device attached to his headset. 

"Let's go!" he shouts, taking a running leap off of the building and accelerating to well beyond the speed of sound.

Cyberpunk hedgehog, anyone?
Did I say irregular?  I apparently meant nonexistent.  Well, I'm back!  Newly improved with a 600% increase in stability!*
The Method of the Madness

*this statement has not been evaluated by the food and drug administration
*six-hundred percent of zero is still zero

Sabby

I love it. Does it have a tacked on political message about recycling? :)

Literal Chaos

Certainly.

"Hey there, Eggman here.  Be sure to recycle your old, unwanted, useless pets into power sources for my ever-growing legions of robotic minions.  Give them to me freely, and I won't have to come after you."
Did I say irregular?  I apparently meant nonexistent.  Well, I'm back!  Newly improved with a 600% increase in stability!*
The Method of the Madness

*this statement has not been evaluated by the food and drug administration
*six-hundred percent of zero is still zero

Jude

Orff's O Fortuna - Translated

In a world of ever-falling blocks, one man will make a difference.

"You've got to align them if we'll ever have a chance of making order of this chaos!"

Action!

(Cue image of a z block sliding horizontally into place in a daring maneuver that defies the laws of Tetris Gravity)

Mystery.

"What block is coming next?"  Please be an L, I need an a L.

Romance.

"I LOVE YOU STRAIGHT FOUR.  CLEARED 4 LEVELS IN A ROW; YEEES."

Coming this summer:  Tetris.

Remiel

Aw, Jude, you stole my idea.  >:(

It is the year 2300.  The stratosphere has been so cluttered with satellites, derelict spacecraft, and meteor debris that the Earth is completely enclosed in a geosynchronous shell.  This layer of "space junk" has gotten so bad, in fact, that, in some places, it has started to eclipse the sun.

Worse, due to collisions between some of the objects, the orbits of some of the satellites and spaceships have started to decay, with the result that bits and pieces of debris have started to fall back to earth with increasing frequency.  At first this phenomenon was largely ignored by the media; however, as more and more buildings and more and more people were hit by falling detritus the nations of the Earth started to wake up.   Additionally, it was discovered that many of the remnants were dangerously radioactive.  Clearly, something had to be done about the problem.

An emergency council of the world's best and brightest scientists was hastily assembled.  Most of the space junk, it was discovered, still had limited functionality and could actually be controlled to a limited extent on common radio frequency bands.  While the space objects fell at a uniform rate, they could be rotated on an axis or even pushed in a certain direction. 

Most of the objects were very large, they noticed, and tended to assume geometrical shapes.  During the course of his experiments, a Russian astrophysicist noticed that, if the objects could be manipulated into forming a solid line, the semi-functioning power cores would magnetically fuse, forming a harmless, inert composite that could be safely salvaged.  Unless this happened, however, the individual pieces would continue to remain dangerously radioactive.

Additionally, some scientists theorized that if too many of the objects accumulated in one location, without being converted to inert scrap,  they would reach a critical mass, resulting in a thermonuclear explosion that would make Chernobyl look like Fourth of July fireworks.   Time was rapidly running out.   Could the Earth be saved, or was this mankind's final hour?

Remiel

The doors swung open at the Fairview Asylum for Mental Health and Well-Being.  Dr. Torrance watched as a pair of orderlies walked through it, guiding between them a patient strapped to a gurney.  The patient was a young man, plump and round; he was bald, and had a jaundiced, yellow complexion.  His eyes stared blankly at nothing, and his mouth opened and closed repetitively, like a dying fish. 

"New arrival?" Dr.  Torrance asked the admissions nurse.

"Yes, sir."  She referenced his sheet.  "Looks like an addict.  Methamphetamines." 

"Name?"

"He didn't say.  He just kept rambling about ghosts, being chased by ghosts.  The ghosts of people named..."  she turned a sheet over.   "...Inky, Binky, Pinky, and Clyde."

"Delusional, then?"

"When they found him, he had overdosed on methamphetamines.  Between his incoherent ramblings, he kept referring to them as his 'power pellets', and said they kept away the ghosts.  He was convinced it was the only thing that kept him safe.  Also, his apartment was full of empty boxes of vanilla wafers.  Apparently they were the only things that he'd eat."

Dr. Torrance whistled.  "Sounds like a difficult case."

The young man finally seemed to notice him, and frantically waved, his mouth opening and closing over and over.

Intrigued, the doctor approached him.  The patient beckoned him to come closer still.   Dr. Torrance hesitated, then leaned over, listening.

"Wakka wakka wakka,"  said the Pac Man, weakly.

Host of Seraphim

Too lazy to make up my own, so I'll post someone else's!

Pokémon Apokélypse: Live Action Trailer HD

And Remiel's second post reminded me of this:

Pacman: The Movie Trailer by Therefore Productions
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

King_Furby

LongN4

In a magical land filled with rainbows, blue moons, and shooting stars

"LOOK! They dissolve in the milk!" "AWESOME!"

A cereal far too sweet
http://fire-sabean.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/lucky-charms.jpg
"Look! Its Lucky! Lets get him!"

A leprechaun pushed to far

"You've got to ask yourself one question, Do I feel Lucky? Well do you, punk?"

"Robin Hood has thou been stealing my valuables and giving them to the poor?"
"Yes"
"and you've stolen my girlfirend to?"
"Yes"
"and now your giving her to the poor?"
"YES!"
"Your giving her to the poor?"
"Yes, that is what I said!"

Rollard

I don't know if this is quite what you were asking for, but I would have liked to see a Legend of Zelda-esque game set in the far future, with Link travelling in his starship, the King of Red Lions, from planet to planet as he gathers a variety of useful gadgets to help him put the Triforce back together so that he may rescue Princess Zelda from the evil galactic overlord Ganon.

Kunoichi

...Well, I wouldn't mind seeing a Gritty Reboot of Reboot... :P

Oniya

Quote from: LongN4 on September 23, 2010, 05:38:29 PM
A leprechaun pushed to far

"You've got to ask yourself one question, Do I feel Lucky? Well do you, punk?"

That depends.  Would Lucky consider that 'bad touch'?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Kunoichi on October 02, 2010, 10:00:54 PM
...Well, I wouldn't mind seeing a Gritty Reboot of Reboot... :P
I know right. That's what I was thinking.

Still I'll come up with my own:

In a post-apocalyptic prison state. Innocents and convicts alike are pushed into politically endorsed bloodsport to appease the masses of uneasy viewers. Bloody, dangerous, violent grand prix racing like no one had seen before. Downright Wacky...

Oh God that's so horrible...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Geeklet