Medical Terms - Resolved

Started by Jag, September 28, 2010, 08:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

I'm back with another medical term in a dictation that I just cannot for the life of me figure out. This man has the worst accent I've ever heard and he is listening to a radio while doing his dictation...I've already figured out (after much frustration) a lot of what he is saying, such as 'segmental demyelination' and 'Novantrone'...but I cannot get this sentence, or rather part of this sentence.

Anyways...it sounds like this 'She has had a anna wexing in wenning course but till recently she has never been in.....permission'...I'm at a complete loss for this.

The paragraph is:

'I had the opportunity of seeing -Name Omitted-  in my office today for treatment of her multiple sclerosis with the agent novantrone. Her diagnosis was made twelve years ago with foresight of segmental demyelination detected. She has had a..................................................but till recently she has never been in.......................................................... She has now developed progressive disease particularly with weakening atrophy of her lower extremities. Sometimes exhibiting marche à petit pas.'

I thought it might be 'waxing and waning during her course' and then I'm not even close to figuring out what he said that I think is 'permission'...I think it might be intermission, but that doesn't seem right.

~Michi

*goes to cry in a corner now*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Trieste

Could it be vitreous? As I recall, the eye has vitreous fluid. I think.

Edit: According to this page, vitreous hemorrhages do exist and diabetics are especially prone to them.

Jag

Very well could be. I considered that word and even stared at it while repeating that part of the dictation over and over...but I keep wanting to think it starts with a 'b'. It might just be her accent throwing me off. She says a lot of things strangely.

Trieste

That was the only thing in an eye I could think of that might sound even remotely similar to betrus...

Jag

Quote from: Trieste on September 28, 2010, 08:20:53 PM
Edit: According to this page, vitreous hemorrhages do exist and diabetics are especially prone to them.

*luffles on Trieste*

Thank you. I really think that's it. If not, my instructor will send it back to me with a big red circle and a 'WTF?' next to it. I think he hates me...

Trieste

I'm pretty sure, too. All the other terms are talking about things that could go rather abruptly wrong with the eye,but have not done so. It sounds like a checklist. "He has a heart. He has two kidneys. He has a liver. Absence of organs are not the cause of this man's terrible state."

Jag

This guy was a 'special' kind of guy. He went into the ER with a foot ulcer and terrible burns to that foot. He thought it would be okay to soak a foot with an ulcer in scalding hot water...then some how they get onto diabetic retinopathy...*shakes head* I want to know what monkey is making up these reports to send out to us taking this course. Then again, some people are 'special' like that.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

*luffles on Trieste more and gives her chocolate*

Oniya

Foot ulcers are relatively common in diabetics.  Something about the disease affecting the nerves so that you feel this tingling all the time, and don't realize it when you get an actual injury.  *saw a really nasty case on Dr. G*  But then again, Dr. G lends itself to the really nasty cases.  ::)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

Oh! I love watching Dr. G and all the medical shows they put on Discovery Health on Sundays. ^_^

Oniya

I have it set up on DVR so I can watch it at night when the little one is asleep.  Can't wait for the new season to start up!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jag

I never get to use our DVR anymore. New seasons of all the stuff my in-laws watch are on now and the baby has her Blues Clues to record...so I just have to try and catch things when they are on. V_V

Anyways...locking thread since the issue has been taken care of.

Jag

-Updated first post with new need for help!

I've been working on this one for a few hours now. I think my head is going to pop. If the guy would just turn off his damn radio, I could probably figure it out. Who the hell watches football while doing a dictation for a serious medical condition?!

*cries*

Oniya

Permission might be 'remission' from context.  Not sure about the rest of it, though.

Jag

That does sound much better than intermission. I had thought about that, but for some reason it just never clicked...*goes back to listen to audio for the 100th time*

Trieste

Permission = remission

And it sounds like you're looking for a medication for the first part, possibly ending in something like 'lexyn' or a similar sound. A quick google of MS meds doesn't give me anything likely, but you may have more resources than I do.

Jag

I know she is being treated with novantrone for her MS. He said that in the first line.

Actually, the only information I have for this case is:

QuoteReport 8: Correspondence

'Her oncology consultant sends a letter to -name omitted-'s primary care physician, the requesting doctor. The results of her exam and her treatment plan are described. A copy of the letter was forwarded to the psychiatrist to whom the patient has been referred. See figure QC8-1, Structures of a Neuron.'

Glossary:
Marche a petits pas [Fr.] - abnormal gait, taking very short steps.

Then a pretty pictures of a neuron.

Other than google, that's about all the resources I have for this case. :P

I'm starting to think it might be 'She has had a waxed and waned course, but till recently she has never been in remission.'...waxed and waned meaning that her symptoms have been coming and going, but never into remission.

Gah, I think I figured it out on my own! Just needed to rant about it without listening to his football game.

*facepalms*

Trieste

Oh! You know, I didn't even think of that, just saw 'course' and thought 'meds'. Good job, Michi.

Jag

*luffs on Trieste and Oniya*

Thank you both, again!