Fable Meets the Avengers (Kinda) (Seeking GM and Players)

Started by That One Dingus, October 11, 2019, 07:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That One Dingus

Hello, all. There's something that I've wanted to do for a while now, but I am not sure on the best way to execute it.

For quite a while now, I have wanted to play a specific character from American folklore: John Henry, the Man Who Beat the Machine. Just like Steve Rogers/Captain America, it would be interesting to juxtapose his mindset and values against modern society and events. I also express in interest in Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, and the Headless Horsemen as further examples of American folklore, but John Henry is at the top of the list.

I don't want to just play a character that happens to resemble one of these figures. My idea is that, somehow, through the power of either belief (like in Fable) or some outside blessing, the original John Henry is brought back into our world. A game like this would present an opportunity for other underrepresented mythological figures to be represented. Perhaps there are spirits from Native American or African tribal lore, or maybe even some of the more exaggerated versions of the historical figures presented in China's Romance of the Three Kingdoms. These characters would all have their own perspectives and difficulties adapting to the modern age.

Together, all of these heroes would be rounded up to form a task force that helps protect humanity itself from various threats, both from within and from without. This is where Avengers part comes into play. I suppose this could be done as a solo RP, but I figured that having multiple players would allow for greater depth. Most of my indecisiveness about the idea comes from debating whether this should be freeform or a system game. Freeform would allow pure flavor to dictate situational outcomes, but system mechanics would make any situation tense even for these legendary figures. I'm guessing that Mutants & Masterminds would be the best system for something like this?

If anyone else is interested in something like this, feel free to drop any questions or suggestions as a reply.
Ons & Offs

Absences and Apologies (Updated for June 2018)

Lustful Bride

I would be open to this. How do you feel about having Goldilocks joining along? Only having become a hunter after getting to know and befriend the three bears? (And not as crazy as her Fables counterpart).

Though I could see about looking for more obscure characters to portray.

Also if no one picks the Headless horseman he could make a wonderful first villain to take down. *Thinking of many scenes from Sleepy Hollow*

Mathim

It's a bit like my Avengers Grimm game concept. I'm not sure whether I'm interested in this particular game but if anyone's looking for characters, I bet my previous games have some names in there to inspire, like Anansi the Spider, Sun Wukong the Monkey King, etc., for some non-American mythological beings.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).