R.I.P Twinkies

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 16, 2012, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Beguile's Mistress

I wonder if the union would be interested in buying the company?

Avis habilis

Good question. I wonder if they could form some kind of collective, make it an employee-owned business. Hmm...

Callie Del Noire

I figure they'll go chapter 11 and work things out.. Twinkies is a very big name in snacks.

Silver

Indeed it is and there would just be too many angry people out there for them not to figure something out quickly and quietly.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Avis habilis

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 16, 2012, 09:53:00 AM
I figure they'll go chapter 11 and work things out.. Twinkies is a very big name in snacks.

Radio news said they've already been through bankruptcy twice. Management has declared they're going to take their ball & go home this time, liquidate the company & wrap it up. (Roll it up? Wrap it up? There's some official term for dissolving a company, but I can't think of it.)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 16, 2012, 09:57:24 AM
Radio news said they've already been through bankruptcy twice. Management has declared they're going to take their ball & go home this time, liquidate the company & wrap it up. (Roll it up? Wrap it up? There's some official term for dissolving a company, but I can't think of it.)

Sounds like they're going to call it a day. Shame..they have a solid image to work behind and fairly big standing in the industry.. guessing someone will be buying twinkies in the close out auction.

Moraline

I wonder if this is just the snack cake division of the company or all of it's brands?

They only mention snack cakes but these guys own Lay's potato chips as well (...  brands in the Frito-Lay group include Fritos, Doritos, Ruffles, Cheetos, Rold Gold pretzels, and Sun Chips.)

Doritos are one of my guilty pleasures and my Father always has a bag of Rold Gold pretzels in his house for guests to munch on.

In some ways, it might be a good sign that major junk food vendors are feeling the hard times. It sux for jobs but maybe the world is very slowly starting to steer towards healthier choices. (Oh my?! Does this mean, I'll have to snack on fruit and veggies now?)

Avis habilis

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 16, 2012, 10:15:07 AM
... guessing someone will be buying twinkies in the close out auction.

Good point. The names of their products are worth something; they could sell them off to another industrial food conglomerate that would then have the right to start churning out Twinkies & Ding Dongs & whatever else.

Beguile's Mistress

It's been my experience, having been through several like scenarios, that a viable brand will likely be purchased by another company or the physical property sold, dismantled and redeveloped.  An employee buyout might work if the recipes are included in the sale because then the product would remain the same even if the name changes.

Brands disappearing isn't something new and in this case local companies may be able to fill the void if Hostess goes the way of the dodo.

Moraline

I think it would be awesome if local brands filled the void and promoted more small local businesses to get into snack foods again. Hostess was/is a monstrous juggernaut of a company. I miss small local bakeries. Used to have a bunch of them in around where I grew up and now they are all long gone.

Mister Grimm

Quote from: Moraline on November 16, 2012, 10:15:54 AM
I wonder if this is just the snack cake division of the company or all of it's brands?

They only mention snack cakes but these guys own Lay's potato chips as well (...  brands in the Frito-Lay group include Fritos, Doritos, Ruffles, Cheetos, Rold Gold pretzels, and Sun Chips.)

Doritos are one of my guilty pleasures and my Father always has a bag of Rold Gold pretzels in his house for guests to munch on.

In some ways, it might be a good sign that major junk food vendors are feeling the hard times. It sux for jobs but maybe the world is very slowly starting to steer towards healthier choices. (Oh my?! Does this mean, I'll have to snack on fruit and veggies now?)

I'm pretty sure that Frito-Lay is a division of PepsiCo not Hostess Brands. xD
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

LunarSage

The funny thing is I knew about this last month.  Well, that it was going to happen.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Moraline

Quote from: Mister Grimm on November 16, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that Frito-Lay is a division of PepsiCo not Hostess Brands. xD

Your right, I misread something. Lays pretty much put hostess potato chips in Canada out of business, years ago.

Lux12

I knew they said they were having troubles, but this is still unexpected.It seems surreal since they've been around for my entire life and several generations before that.

Stattick

Ah man, why can't this happen to Little Debbie instead? I like Hostess stuff, while I dislike Little Debbie (also, Little Debbie puts something in all their items that gives me screaming stomach pains like I'd drank a smoothie made from acid and ground glass).
O/O   A/A

Valerian

Allow me to hope that Tastykakes will step into the void left behind.  Their stuff is better anyway, but right now you can't get it in the midwestern states, where I am.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Avis habilis

In the meantime, here's a collection of recipes for making your own version: http://www.dailydot.com/culture/twinkie-hostess-devil-dog-tutorial-video/

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Mister Grimm

Quote from: Valerian on November 16, 2012, 12:58:48 PM
Allow me to hope that Tastykakes will step into the void left behind.  Their stuff is better anyway, but right now you can't get it in the midwestern states, where I am.

Mmm, Tastykakes. My girlfriend from New Jersey said about the same thing, so hopefully they do step up their game a little.

And pft. Zombieland. <3

Also, a part of me was curious to see if eBay is blowing up with boxes of Twinkles, Snowballs, etc on auction and that same part of me is a little sad for humanity now. There are better snack companies out there people. It isn't the end of the world.
Do you know who I am?

Valerian

Quote from: Mister Grimm on November 16, 2012, 01:16:36 PM
Mmm, Tastykakes. My girlfriend from New Jersey said about the same thing, so hopefully they do step up their game a little.

And pft. Zombieland. <3

Also, a part of me was curious to see if eBay is blowing up with boxes of Twinkles, Snowballs, etc on auction and that same part of me is a little sad for humanity now. There are better snack companies out there people. It isn't the end of the world.
I used to date a guy from Philadelphia who received regular Tastykake care packages from home.  Yummy.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

The little Oni likes the Tastykake fruit pies.  Drop them in the microwave for a few seconds - Nummy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kckolbe

I imagine President Obama feels very conflicted about this.  On one hand, having any major business fail looks bad on him.  On the other hand, he is very concerned about obesity.  Also, I like your avatar Moraline.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

bubby

Never been the biggest fan of the stuff, but ffs... another american icon poofed.

Can we say government buyout?  ::)

Avis habilis

I don't think Hostess was too big to fail. There are plenty of other players in the life-shortening snack food space to take up the slack.

LunarSage

Is it true the workers who were on strike killed the company?

Stattick

Quote from: LunarSage on November 16, 2012, 02:13:04 PM

I dunno. I know that the rank and file employees have been having their salaries slashed over the last year or two, while the top execs got huge pay raises and bonuses. I wonder if the execs are just butthurt Republicans that are hairflipping over Obama being reelected, and declaring bankruptcy to "show them". I wonder and sorta hope that maybe the rank and file employees can buy out the company, turning it into a collectively owned operation. I think Home Depot is employee owned like that.
O/O   A/A

LunarSage

Someone told me that what happened was this:

The employees went on strike to try and get more money.

The company told them that they couldn't afford to pay them anymore money and that if they continued to strike, the company would have to go under and then none of them would have jobs.

The employees assumed it was a bluff and kept on striking.

The company did what they said they would have to do, filing bankruptcy and sacking every single Hostess employee.

The former employees are now complaining that they were wronged.

I'm not sure what to believe, but if the above is true... then I have little sympathy for the workers who were on strike.  If that's true, they kind of brought it on themselves.

kckolbe

This may be insensitive to say, but I've always said Dolly Madison was better.  I really wish I had a strawberry creme roll to celebrate with.  You know their prices are going to go up, too.  They just lost their biggest competitor.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Avis habilis

Quote from: LunarSage on November 16, 2012, 02:13:04 PM

No. It's been dying for years. Management has been bleeding the workers to try to make up for their poor own decisions. Missing some delivery dates was just the coup de grace.

Quote from: LunarSage on November 16, 2012, 02:26:03 PM
The employees went on strike to try and get more money.

No. They struck against an 8% wage cut plus a 30% benefits cut.

The company told them that they couldn't afford to pay them anymore money and that if they continued to strike, the company would have to go under and then none of them would have jobs.

No. They said they weren't going to make a counter offer. Anyone who didn't like it was "free to quit".

The employees assumed it was a bluff and kept on striking.

No. They knew this was a possibility, but management had established a pattern of chipping away at wages & benefits "to save the company in this desperate situation" every couple of months. What the workers were getting was already barely survivable & there was no reason to believe that if they accepted this, there wouldn't be another desperate situation two months from now.

The former employees are now complaining that they were wronged.

No. They were prepared (at least mentally) for this eventuality.

Also, Little Debbie fruit pies are better anyway.

kckolbe

Little Debbie is also delicious.

Intro Thread

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: kckolbe on November 16, 2012, 02:34:50 PM
Little Debbie is also delicious.
Vore!

What are they going to use for all the Hostess Snowball wedding cakes now?

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 16, 2012, 02:59:03 PM
Vore!

Pfft.  Let me show you the power of the Internet:

Spoilered for length
Hostess Snowballs
Posted by Cookin'Mom at recipegoldmine.com 2/272001 2:45 pm

Cakes:
4 egg whites
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2/3 cup milk
2 to 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut

Frosting:
1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
1 (7 ounce) jar JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour muffin tins or dome shaped baking molds and set aside.

Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff but not dry and place in the refrigerator while you make the rest of the batter. Cream the butter and add the sugar. Continue mixing to blend well. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon rind and mix well.

Sift the flour 3 times with the baking powder then add it to the butter mixture alternately with the milk in 3 additions. Fold in the whites and pour the batter into the molds, filling about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until batter is firm to the touch in the center. Let cool in the pans then turn out so the top becomes the bottom (you may need to trim them a bit so they sit flat).

Frosting: Beat sugar, Marshmallow Creme, margarine or butter and vanilla extract with electric mixer at medium speed, beating in milk as needed to desired frosting consistency.

Place the coconut in a bowl and add 1 drop of red or green food coloring for a pale color. Toss until food coloring is well mixed in and the coconut is the desired color. Frost the top and sides of the cakes and dip/roll in coconut to make them look like snowballs.

Servings: 4
Read more at http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/hostess-snowballs.html#hAu66KdRErutBble.99
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Valerian

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 16, 2012, 02:59:03 PM
*blinks*  There are Hostess Snowball wedding cakes?

Though in any case, it seems the problem is solved.  Heh.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Gadifriald

Forget about Twinkies! What about the Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies!!!!!!! :'(

Of course I'm sure those famous brands will all be sold off to another company and the Twinkies and Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies will continue being made.
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Lux12

Quote from: Gadifriald on November 16, 2012, 04:29:52 PM
Forget about Twinkies! What about the Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies!!!!!!! :'(

Of course I'm sure those famous brands will all be sold off to another company and the Twinkies and Ho Hos and Ding Dongs and Fruit Pies will continue being made.
Indeed.In a way I'm a little depressed even though those are not necessarily favorites of mine.

Mister Grimm

I think this is the only reason I feel bad about Hostess ending. Don't be sad Pusheen. There are better cakes out there.
Do you know who I am?

Lux12

What about donettes?Is there not one among us who loves donettes?

Mister Grimm

Ugh, forgot about those. Those I will miss. Thought lately, when it comes to donuts, I usually stick to buying the ones made at the bakery in Piggly Wiggly or the ones around town.
Do you know who I am?

Lux12

Some times, it's not about quality, it's the thought that one associates with it. What more can I say?

Beguile's Mistress

Donuts or doughnuts here in Pittsburgh are the staple of many bakeries and are better than any I've found anywhere.  We have such great bakeries here that Krispy Kream just couldn't establish a market.  There is no way for one of those chain type donut shops to become entrenched here.  Even DD (Dunkin' Donuts) isn't all that successful here.

Shjade

I do like the chocolate donettes, but I won't miss them being gone. For me, when it comes to doughnuts, there's nothing can match a good fresh-baked maple bar. Mmmmmmm.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Stattick

Eww.... I find Krispy Kreme "donuts" to be vile. I never understood why they caught on like they did.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Quote from: Oniya on November 16, 2012, 01:21:57 PM
The little Oni likes the Tastykake fruit pies.  Drop them in the microwave for a few seconds - Nummy.

At least satiation can be had with mere fruit pies. Yeah... you probably want to keep the Oni happy.
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on November 17, 2012, 01:46:50 AM
Eww.... I find Krispy Kreme "donuts" to be vile. I never understood why they caught on like they did.

I like you Stattick.. so I'll let you live after that.. but you're on the LIST!

Steve Buscemi

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Stattick on November 17, 2012, 01:46:50 AM

Heresy!

There is nothing before or after the Krispy Kreme. Especially 5minutes out of the oven. ./drool

Except maybe a bacon maple bar from Voodoo Donuts in Portland, OR.

Kazyth

Bah!  It's all about Dunkin'!  I love me come cake doughnuts.  It's the yeast kind that I can't stand, like Krispy.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Mithlomwen

*is going to miss the Twinkie*   :'(

Best use of a Twinkie evar! 

Ghostbusters - Big Twinkie
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Mobius

Read somewhere recently that Twinkies are made from some of the same chemicals used in embalming.

There is some food for thought for everyone!

“In your life, you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some, you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again. But you do.” - Unknown

On's and Off's!

Currently NOT taking on new roleplays!

Oniya

Quote from: Mobius on November 17, 2012, 11:32:12 AM
Read somewhere recently that Twinkies are made from some of the same chemicals used in embalming.

*buzzer*
Snopes'd!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mobius on November 17, 2012, 11:32:12 AM

Awwww...I was hoping that eating enough Twinkies would grant me immortality.

Lux12

I swear it seems like everyone is getting sentimental about this. I've even heard stories about people crying over it all.It's hard to believe these mass produced snack cakes had such intrinsic value to people.

Oniya

I'm not terribly sentimental about the snack cakes themselves, but I remember seeing the comic strips in magazines:  Twinkie the Kid, Captain Cupcake, and Fruit Pie the Magician.  They had commercials with those characters, too, but as a young geek, I saw them as full pages in comic books.

Jag

Quote from: Lux12 on November 17, 2012, 02:15:30 PM
I swear it seems like everyone is getting sentimental about this. I've even heard stories about people crying over it all.It's hard to believe these mass produced snack cakes had such intrinsic value to people.

It's like comfort food. It's something that has been around for a long time and that a lot of people are familiar with.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lux12

Quote from: Michi No Sora on November 17, 2012, 06:54:42 PM
It's like comfort food. It's something that has been around for a long time and that a lot of people are familiar with.

I see.I'm not crying myself, but I will miss donettes and it will be weird waking up in a world without the stuff, unless they make so much off of last minute sales it saves the company.It happens some times.

Moraline

We could try planting our Twinkies in gardens and see if they grow new Twinkie trees?

Lux12

Brilliant idea! Almost as brilliant as my plan to genetically engineer corals that bud milky ways!

Jag

O_O

Just took that screenshot myself.

Lux12

My God... It's only been a few days and they're already a collectors item. I almost don't believe it.

Oniya

Somehow, I think they're classed under the 'Grocery' half of that subheading. -__-;

Lux12

Who here thinks someone is going to end up auctioning some of this stuff off on Ebay leading to a massive bidding war?

LunarSage

I just ate my last two Twinkies last night.  They were delicious, but I had no idea they were apparently so valuable.

Incidentally, Dick Clark was periodically injected with Twinkie filling to keep his apparent youth.  *nodnod*

Moraline

Quote from: LunarSage on November 18, 2012, 04:25:44 PM
I just ate my last two Twinkies last night.  They were delicious, but I had no idea they were apparently so valuable.

Incidentally, Dick Clark was periodically injected with Twinkie filling to keep his apparent youth.  *nodnod*

I have Twinkie filling regularly injected into my lips to keep them full and kissable. True story.

Lux12

Quote from: LunarSage on November 18, 2012, 04:25:44 PM

I can't tell if you're being dead serious about Dick Clark doing that or not.

Oniya

Dick Clark can't ring in the new year. 
Twinkies have expired. 

Well played, Mayans.  Well played.

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 18, 2012, 05:28:59 PM
Dick Clark can't ring in the new year. 
Twinkies have expired. 

Well played, Mayans.  Well played.

"...And in their final days they shall seek snack cakes that are yellow of color and they shall none, for they shall cease to be made. The feathered serpent shall weep for them..."-The Mayan Prophecy of The Yellow Cake Famine

TheWildcat

I propose an angry mob be formed at the headquarters. We shall broker a strike resolution and brand salvation with pitchforks and torches. Please attempt ti refrain from lynchimg.
Rogue said I wasn't allowed to be the Lord of Teleportesis and Smegheaddery, so I'm still trying to find my proper title.

elone

Excerpt from this.http://kstp.com/news/stories/s2839101.shtml] [url]http://kstp.com/news/stories/s2839101.shtml[/url]

Typical, workers are asked for concessions and management gets 80% pay hike.

"Irving, Texas-based Hostess filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January for the second time in less than a decade. Its predecessor company, Interstate Bakeries, sought bankruptcy protection in 2004 and changed its name to Hostess after emerging in 2009.

The company said it was saddled with costs related to its unionized workforce. The company had been contributing $100 million a year in pension costs for workers; the new contract offer would've slashed that to $25 million a year, in addition to wage cuts and a 17 percent reduction in health benefits.

Management missteps were another problem. Hostess came under fire this spring after it was revealed that nearly a dozen executives received pay hikes of up to 80 percent last year even as the company was struggling.

Then last week thousands of members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union went on strike after rejecting the company's latest contract offer. The bakers union represents about 30 percent of the company's workforce."

I had no idea they made so much stuff.

http://tastychomps.com/2012/11/hostess-brands-including-local-merita-bread-to-close-list-of-hostess-products.html

In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Lux12

Moraline

Quote from: Lux12 on November 18, 2012, 11:56:14 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2234822/Mexican-company-eyes-bankrupt-Hostess-Brands-Twinkies-loyalists-snatch-sweet-confections-shelves-frenzy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

In other news, the unfortunately named Bimbo company, a Mexican corporation is thinking about buying them out and producing them.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this disturbing?

I'm picturing my Twinkies being manufactured in Mexican sweatshops and shipped across North America.

Lux12

Quote from: Moraline on November 19, 2012, 09:01:34 AM

I'm picturing my Twinkies being manufactured in Mexican sweatshops and shipped across North America.

I don't know much about Bimbo so I couldn't tell you what their record is in that regard.Though it is a possibility with any large company.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Moraline on November 19, 2012, 09:01:34 AM

It might increase their nutritional value.

Oniya

I used to see ads for Bimbo in Ohio.  They pronounce it 'Beem-bo', so you don't quite get the same WTF? on hearing it.  If Bimbo gets Hostess, how long do you think it'll be before the Hostess target audience (or their parents) start complaining about the name?

Lux12

I knew how to pronounce it, but the way it's spelled  makes me wonder if they shouldn't have changed the name so people don't start complaining about it. When I first saw those commercials up here, I thought I was hallucinating because I couldn't believe that any self respecting company would call themselves that. It wasn't until I found out where they were from that it made any sense.I don't know what Bimbo actually means, but you'd think they would have found out what that means to so many people.

Oniya

It means 'baby' in Italian, but nothing in Spanish (which is only relevant because they tend to market in areas with a high Hispanic population).

Lux12

That's odd.Why would they have a company name that means nothing?

Oniya

Does 'Folgers' mean anything?  or 'Reebok'?  At least it didn't mean 'bite the wax tadpole'.

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 12:12:25 PM
Does 'Folgers' mean anything?  or 'Reebok'?  At least it didn't mean 'bite the wax tadpole'.

Folgers is a last name so yes. Reedbok was apparently actually found by the creator in a dictionary so that also has one. The real problem here is that words and their meanings do not cross perfectly over into others.

LunarSage

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 12:12:25 PM
At least it didn't mean 'bite the wax tadpole'.

Coca Cola, right?

Oniya

As the urban legend goes.  ;)  Then there was the stunning mistranslation (also probably legendary) of 'Coca Cola adds life' into 'Coca Cola brings your ancestors back from the grave' - not a big seller in a region that still practices ancestor veneration.

And the Chevy no va* - funny how that doesn't work in Spanish speaking areas.

Oniya

Apologies for a double post, but I just got this through one of my feeds:

Hostess, maker of Twinkies, seeks permission to pay manager bonuses

QuoteIn seeking court permission for its demise, Hostess said it wants to pay as much as $1.75 million in incentive bonuses to 19 senior managers during the liquidation.

I might be hallucinating, but doesn't 'getting an incentive' usually mean you did something other than failing big time?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

I might be hallucinating, but doesn't 'getting an incentive' usually mean you did something other than failing big time?

Well, they bravely and successfully stood up in the face of unreasonable union bullying, didn't they? Heroically shutting the doors of their company rather than allow workers to keep their current salaries is clearly worthy of recognition.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

Welcome to big business, where reality rarely intrudes on profit mongering.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Major Major

Quote from: Lux12 on November 19, 2012, 12:15:52 PM
Folgers is a last name so yes. Reedbok was apparently actually found by the creator in a dictionary so that also has one. The real problem here is that words and their meanings do not cross perfectly over into others.

Isn't "Reebok" an Afrikaans word for some breed of Antelope?

Oniya

-__-  Apparently so.

Exxon.  Exxon has absolutely no translatable meaning.

Saerrael

Quote from: Major Major on November 27, 2012, 10:41:52 PM
Isn't "Reebok" an Afrikaans word for some breed of Antelope?

No, it's Dutch >.>

http://vroegevogels.vara.nl/Video.742.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=361455&cHash=6ece6ce1a97caa8acc7d225c2fe273f8

Oniya

Quote from: Saerra on November 27, 2012, 10:54:43 PM
No, it's Dutch >.>

http://vroegevogels.vara.nl/Video.742.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=361455&cHash=6ece6ce1a97caa8acc7d225c2fe273f8

Linguistically, Afrikaans and Dutch are rather similar.  It came from the 17th century Dutch settlers of the Cape area.

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on November 27, 2012, 10:57:19 PM
Linguistically, Afrikaans and Dutch are rather similar.  It came from the 17th century Dutch settlers of the Cape area.

Which makes it Dutch and not Afrikaans.

Ree = deer
Bok = male (of deer-like families)

I'm not a 'proud, Dutch person', by the way, but I do know my native tongue. *nodnods*

Oniya

Merf.  It means something somewhere, which made it unsuitable as an example of a company name that didn't mean anything.

Saerrael

I had to feed the StoreHouse... *blushes and runs away*

Oniya

queridoor

I have never had a twinkie.
And now I guess I never will.
I loved HoHos, though! ;-;

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

LunarSage

So I just bought what seems to be a new Little Debbie product... "Cloud Cakes."

I have to admit, they do taste exactly like a Twinkie.

CriminalMindsFan

I've been trying some Little Debbie products for the first time since Hostess went away. Can't really tell difference except for the prices.

Trieste

Turns out that this is what the Mayans predicted. >.>

Funguy81

I WANT MY TWINKIES!!!!!!

Yes, yes. I know its childish, but I had to say it. I actually seen someone try to sell a box of twinkies on Ebay for over 100 dollars.

Oniya

Was that the asking price, or what the bids were up to?

Funguy81

I can't remember, but I think its the asking price. It still would not surprise me considering the other things that I heard, read, or seen sold successfully in Ebay.

Jag

Someone is selling a box of 100 Twinkies on Amazon for $114...I don't think that's a bad price for 100 Twinkies. About $1.14 each.

Oniya

Oh, agreed, but the bids often show a bit better what the 'general populace' thinks it's worth.  Still at $100?  Twinkie panic averted.  Somewhere around $5000? That's some Twinkie.

Funguy81

lol. for 5000 dollars, those twinkies better give me a song and dance routine and hook me up with a hot girl before i eat them. Then that would be worth the money.