Game of Thrones/ASOIAF - King, Targaryen and House Lords/Ladies wanted!

Started by Ramael, January 26, 2011, 10:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

As a heads up, I won't be posting on E until this weekend; got a lot going on. But I am still on for this game when it takes off.  :-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

tcost

Conversation about the possible game does seem to have picked back up. 

We could put together a Dothraki game, I guess, but I think that most interest is for Westerosi politics. 
I prefer justice to irony.

Ramael

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 12, 2011, 08:23:59 PM
hmm, i get the feeling i'm not going to be able to play a dothraki in this in any feasible way

You'd be surprised, actually, but without giving any spoilers away I'll just say I'd encourage creativity here. It's feasible for a couple or a small group of Dothraki to be in Westeros.

TheHangedOne

Ninja-posting on E while I have the chance; won't be genuinely active until Tuesday, though. I think a displaced Dothraki or two could be interesting, but I have zero interest in playing a Dothraki.
Check out my poet tree!

Alsheriam

A/A

tcost

If anyone is going to the San Diego Comic Con, the Game of Thrones panel will take place at 3 p.m. on Thursday, in Ballroom 20, capacity 4900.  Weiss and Benioff will be there, and GRRM himself, along with the actors who play Tyrion, Dany, Jamie, Drogo, and Jon Snow. 

Alsheriam

A/A

Primarch

Well I'm decided upon a Bannerman of the Starks! (although associated with which particular land I have no idea~)

tcost

Quote from: Alsheriam on July 17, 2011, 12:13:31 PM
Why is Drogo there? He's dead! :P

Jason Momoa will have to be at the convention anyway, to promote the Conan movie, so why not appear on this panel too?  The con is putting him up already.  And some actors enjoy the fans.

Primarch

Quote from: tcost on July 17, 2011, 07:31:02 PM
Jason Momoa will have to be at the convention anyway, to promote the Conan movie, so why not appear on this panel too?  The con is putting him up already.  And some actors enjoy banging fans senseless.

Noticed a typo, fixed it.

TheHangedOne

Back to actively posting on E for the time being! Also, I brought something groovy. Although it sadly uploaded smaller than it actually is.

Map of Westeros
Check out my poet tree!

Ramael

That's actually incredibly handy, good find THM.

Myself, I have the maps of Westeros in all the books, but it's still a good quick reference to have here.

Can we do a quick rolecall for who's still interested? I don't mean to drag this out but there are a few people at the top of this thread whom I don't think still have interest. I know you recent posters all do, just double checking for a rough total.

tcost

Alsheriam

A/A

Primarch

It's been a couple weeks. Is anything happening with this?

Ramael

Ah! My bad, had forgotten about this in a tide of RL things. Thanks for bumping to my attention, Karma.

Right, well.

I'm still keen on getting this going. I wouldn't mind someone to help me co-gm this, as I think it's going to be something of rather large scope.

Secondly, I'm going to dispense with conventional character rules and sheets to begin with.

I'll open this up completely...you make the characters guys, and I will fit them into an overarching plot. I appreciate you'll have problems with your characters histories before the plot is up, so leave that blank for now (or feel free to suggest something...your creative juices may get flowing as your create a character). We need to narrow down our scope. Eventually, as we get more players, I'd like to see different character types coming into play, from other locations in Westeros (much like the series is slowly doing). For now, let's just grind through some sized-down character applications, I've got a rough plot in my head, I'd like to see people's ideas for characters first.

For anyone lurking or wanting to join whom hasn't posted yet, I'll recap you with what we're doing - a parallel Westeros, with a matching history to the canon up until the events of the first book. Our play will see the player characters creating Westeros's history through whatever means they choose. Any and all types of character considered;
Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Targaryen, Tully, Frey, Greyjoy, Mormont (any house in Westeros). Lady, Lord, Knight, Kingsguard, applications for ruling regent King/Queen considered, minor nobles, whisperers such as Varys and Littlefinger, high-class whores such as Alayaya, sellswords, Septons (that is the priests of the Seven in Westeros), Men of the Night's Watch, travelling singers, literally any type of person from the series or books.

Feel free to "break" from convention - don't feel like you have to stick to the main Houses' types. If you see an opening for a treacherous, scheming, Stark, make one. Or maybe a naive, honest Lannister. I personally would like to see characters from some of the minor houses, but I am open to literally anything.

What sort of detail do you want in a character sheet?

Well, anyway, here's something I whipped up.

Character Name: Ellynn Hill
Nickname(s): Lyn
Parents: Unknown non-Westerosi mother, unknown Lannister father
Birthplace: Unknown for certain, assumed to be Lannisport
Orientation: Open
Languages: Westerosi, Braavosi, smatterings of Dothraki

Biography: Ellynn's earliest memories were of a Lannisport orphanage. It was there she spent her unpleasant prepubescent years. While she was there, a solicitor would visit once a month, delivering to her a package. In these packages were rather generous stipends, courtesy of her mysterious father. As much as she pressed the solicitor for information, he never gave her an inkling of her father's identity. She could only assume it was because he either hated her or was ashamed of her, and would not forgive him on either count. The stipend would have allowed her to live quite comfortably, but it was not enough to retain a protector, and she certainly could not live alone. Forced to stay at the orphanage, it was a daily struggle, and not often a successful one, to keep the money she was given out of the hands of the bullies, and even the caretakers. Her brilliant blonde hair earned her only further ire from them. Left alone in the world and seemingly under attack from all sides, she became a secretive and distrustful child. When she believed herself old enough, she ran away from the orphanage with what money she had managed to hide away. She made it as far as Braavos before her funds ran out. There she was forced to learn many things, from having a hidden knife at the ready to cooking a wonderful meal, and other considerably darker skills. Several years later, after she had come of age, the old solicitor found her in a grungy tavern in Braavos. He presented her with the income that had accumulated in her absence, and informed her that house Lannister was interested in providing her with employment. She returned with him to Lannisport and spoke with a retainer tasked with managing her “case.” He refused to get into specifics, only willing to say that in return for a significant wage, Ellynn would be “called upon” from time to time and given a job to perform. Having long ago come to the conclusion that little in life mattered apart from pleasure and money, she agreed. Rather than use the money she was given, however, she arranged for her wages to be deposited in the Lannisport Bank, preferring to live off the fruits of her own labors. Waiting to be called upon by the Lannisters, she lurked the darker places of Westeros, taking all manner of work.

TheHangedOne

I might still play here, I'm not sure yet.  I just may not have enough time to take on another rp.
Check out my poet tree!

Ramael

That's a great character concept Karma, quite a nice convoluted history. I can see how she may fit into an overall plot already...

TheHangedOne

Name: Henrik "Beastmaster" Stark
Sex: Male
Sexuality: Straight

Parents/Siblings: Stark Family
Birthplace: Winterfell

Languages known: Westerosi.
Skills: Cooking, camping, campaigning, foraging, using an axe (In battle), using a spear (In battle), using a crossbow (in battle), light armor, canine training, riding (Horse, dire wolves), weapon and armor maintenance.
Special Skills: Animal Empathy. He has an intuititve, some might say mystic, ability to understand the thoughts and feelings of most animals. He is able to communicate to them through rough vocalization (growls, snarls, hisses, other sounds) as well as physical posturing, in a crude fashion. No animal is beholden to listen to him, although most, even the vicious ones, seem inclined to give him a wide berth. It is because of this talent he is known as the "Beastmaster".

Equipment: Because he often travels, Henrik often takes to carrying plenty of things with him. On any given day, he has enough rationed food (dried meats, nuts, berries, flat bread or hard tack, clean water, wine) to last him and his carnivorous friends a week. Additionally, he carries a small hand crossbow with a quarrel of 20 bolts, "Executioner" a one handed battleaxe made from Valyrian Steel (He discovered this on one of his many adventures, when he was younger, in a ruin.), wolf fur-lined leather cloak (dyed vermilion) with hood, cuir bouilli armor, steel-toed traveling boots. Most of these supplies are held in a small cart, which he usually pulls along on his own.

Appearance: With wild, long pitch black hair, and a large, bushy beard of similar coloration, Henrik appears far older than he really is. He has often been mistaken for some kind of wild man outside the walls of Winterfell. At Six feet even, and 240 lbs, he has an imposing physique. Broad-shouldered, barrel-chested, and with noticeable muscular build; especially his legs, from all the traveling on foot he does.

Companions: At almost all times, he is in the company of two Dire Wolves named Belda and Obda. Belda is a male, 3 years old. Obda is a female, 4 years old.  That means they are very big, and while well trained and docile around him, each is fully capable of violently ending the existence of most threats they may come across. He also has a raven with him named "Oden".

History: When he came out of his mother's womb, he came out kicking, screaming, and fighting, it's said. Even from a young age, he's always been quite vicious and a bit on the savage side of things, despite his parents and tutors best attempts at teaching and refining him.

In all honesty, he's something of a black sheep amongst his family, but kin's kin. The rough way he carries himself and dresses is crude, and not fitting royalty, after all.

He first started to adventure when he was 15. Back then, it was confined to the streets of Winterfell and the surrounding environs (when he could ditch his watchers), but as he got older and his parents realized that their was no real stopping him short of binding him in chains, they basically granted him free right to go where he pleased. Possibly, they were happy to not have him wandering around the castle, generally being troublesome (through no actual intent of his own; being himself simply caused it.)

He constantly roams the continent, driven by an insatiable wanderlust. And always, it is with his faithful wolf companions, those animals whom he first grew to understand and love as kin. In his travels, he usually takes it upon himself to poke around ruins for things that interest him, and to take on an almost vigilante-esque mission of bandit killing. Thieves, muggers, rapists... humanity has a lot of unsavory people. Henrik finds joy in the simple act of killing them, or watching his wolves rip them apart and devour them.

The axe he has is something he's been in possession of for only a few months; he found it while looking around one of the ruins he loves so much. He is unaware of its unique nature, but was fascinated by the depiction of dragons on it.
Check out my poet tree!

Ramael

I'll properly look that over later THM, just letting people know I won't be able to constructively post for a while, bit tense here in London at the moment.

Primarch

Name: Thorin Cerwyn
Position: Heir of House Cerwyn

Backstory: Thorin Cerwyn is the eldest child of Medger Cerwyn. Their house is one of the closest bannermen to the Starks, both physically and figuratively with the Castle only half a day's ride away and they being some of their most brave and honourable allies. That is perhaps until recent times. Medgar has taken an approach of isolation from surrounding houses so as to protect himself as his years are few remaining. With the discovery of high quality minerals in the mountain side, Medger has started to adorn his men in armour and with weapons they like they have never had before. His shining army is worthy of praise and song but it has crippled the House coffers to the point that the House blacksmith is likely the richest person on the land.

Thorin has ever been a more social sort, gladly riding to aid ally or friend since before he had hair on his chin. Although these days he is celebrated as a warrior tested and true, in truth he would gladly retire to his father's position (once the "legacy" desperate old man enters his final sleep) and find himself a wife to bear him many children. But for now he is content to earn glory that may earn the attention of a suitable women to be his bride. With his father hidden away in Cerwyn Castle, Thorin has become a more well known face as he alone represents the family.

Skills: Although known to be an expert with his bastard sword there are some that can tell you he is most dangerous when a throwing spear is in his hand, of which he has natural gift to tunnel his vision and work out distance for a perfect throw. He can ride a horse with the finest of them but prefers to travel and fight on foot when practicality affords. With his father hidden away in the castle he has for all intents and purposes taken over any leadership responsibilities when the House must defend its land or go to war, although taught leadership and tactics by scholars when he was a boy, it is experience and harsh reality that has forged the dangerous leader of men he is today. When deprived of a weapon is has proven capable of defending himself with just his hands and has been known to guide an attacker into a position that he may snap their neck or inflict a disarming wound.

Equipment: As a warrior Thorin tends to wear a fine chain under his banded mail and like many others of the cold northern lands he wears a wolf skin cloak. His chief weapon is a finely bastard sword that bears the family motto "~Honed and Ready~". His armour and weapons have all been forged of the metal taken from the mountain, twice as hard as steel and only half the weight, it is naturally a brass colour. He has a riding horse protected by a chain coat, it usually carries his throwing spears. In a pinch he'll carry a few himself. 
Retinue: Although when Thorin rides to fight it is usually with what of the army his father will allow out of their lands, there are a few who ride with him at all times. They are his finest friends and most trusted aids.
Sir Gideon, Knight of Castle Cerwyn. Master of sword, shield and bow and a finer horse rider then Thorin himself. His confidence is matched only be his blinding agility. He has a strange talent for finding a suitable tavern when shelter and food is needed.
Iona, First Shieldmaiden of Cerwyn, although young in years compared to her peers, she has learned how to wield a two-handed sword from Thorin finer then any man who would learn from him. In the role of bodyguard she is finest without question, with an eye for detail and a talent for getting into the head of others.
Jace Sammerhand Originally placed with Thorin to provide him a practical mind and scholar on the routes to be sure the future of Cerwyn would be of capable mind, Jace has proven himself a capable hand at a variety of tasks when the marshal talents of the others are not called for. He is a gatherer of information, a dagger under cloak with the brightest of smiles. He is a bard and spy, a scholar and killer. He also does the cooking when there isn't other options. His stew his good.