Filled - [NC-E] - DnD 3.5: The Shackled City

Started by crystaltears, March 20, 2009, 01:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crystaltears

Checking to see if anyone would be interested in possibly playing in a The Shackled City Campaign.

The details -
          GM(s): Myself and Iressi would be undertaking this as a mutual effort.
          System: We are as yet undecided but have narrowed it down to DnD 3.0 or DnD 3.5 with the possibility of allowing the core classes as detailed in Pathfinder...
          Players: This campaign is designed for 4-6 players. Note that if only 4 people show interest either myself or my counterpart will likely create an NPC that is on par with the party in order to take some of the 'edge' off of certain encounters.
          Story: The Shackled City is a complete adventure path that is designed to take a party from level 1 to level 20.
          More Story: We love detail and are compliments to one another in writing and story-telling. He does history, plot hooks, politics, and certain other things far better than me, whereas I am an unquenchable source of creative and odd ideas. If you give us a plot hook it will arise. You might not even mean to do it. The more detailed your history and your character, the more likely you are to enjoy the game because the more we will tailor the already wonderfully detailed adventure path to you to make it that much better.
          House Rules: Regardless of the system this ends up being told in if it gets off the ground, we will have House Rules, or He will I should say. Basically, Iressi will be the primary GM and I will be his devilish little assistant / controller of several NPCs.. Anwyays, most of the House Rules tend to work in the player's favor, but that is not always the case. You will be made aware of all House Rules in place before game-play commences.
          Sheets: This campaign is fairly oriented to combat so character sheets will be required to really have it work. They will likely be made in collaboration with Iressi and will be kept on file by one of the two of us - updated upon leveling. However you will likely want a copy for yourselves for purposes of HP tracking and such things.
          Content: The sexual content rating of the game will be decided based upon the players. We would not want to run a campaign that some players wouldn't be comfortable with. However, it will likely have at least light bondage, if not more extreme aspects.

Another note: I've read many reviews of Shackled City, and have to say that it's hard to get a good feel for the game from some of them. Some of the reviews I had seen stated this campaign so boring... But if done well (which Iressi will be sure it is, and I will try to help) it is quite a lot of fun.

So, if you enjoy a good DnD game that is mostly placed in a city but has some travel (including two planar jaunts, if I remember right) you might like this. There will be a good deal of dice-rolling and combat but also a good deal of intrigue. Be prepared to present a detailed character if you want to get the most from it.

Hopefully, to some people at least, this sounds like fun. *Smile* If you are one of those people, we look forward to hearing from you. Please either respond to this thread or PM Iressi or myself to let us know.

Thank you for your time.

~Crys
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

Doomsday

Let's go down the list...

First, it'd be highly preferable to play 3.5. Second, what level would we be starting out as? Thirdly, should I download The Shackled City or not?

I'm interested in doing some 3.5, so count me in.

Mnemaxa

While not interested in playing per se, I suggest http://www.myth-weavers.com/ as a place to use character sheets - they are interactive for the maker, and can be accessed by anyone else but not modified.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

crystaltears

Quote from: HPDDJ on March 20, 2009, 01:51:22 AM
First, it'd be highly preferable to play 3.5.

-We're leaning toward 3.5... so that probably works out fine.

Quote from: HPDDJ on March 20, 2009, 01:51:22 AMSecond, what level would we be starting out as?

-Starting at 1st level. Not sure on what limitations, if any, there will be on sources used and classes played.

Quote from: HPDDJ on March 20, 2009, 01:51:22 AMThirdly, should I download The Shackled City or not?

-No, you shouldn't. It contains the main arch of the campaign path that we'd be following and anything you might need to see from there we can furnish to you. Thanks for asking, I probably should have been a bit more clear on that one.

Quote from: Mnemaxa on March 20, 2009, 02:02:42 AM
While not interested in playing per se, I suggest http://www.myth-weavers.com/ as a place to use character sheets - they are interactive for the maker, and can be accessed by anyone else but not modified.

-Thanks! I didn't even know that was out there. Would likely make things a lot easier.
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!

PhantomPistoleer

I'm always interested in a 3.5 D&D game!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Starfox

I am interested as well. Is there background material available for the setting? Is it the pathfinder setting from paizo?

3.0 or 3.5 does not matter to me much, but people may be moe familiar with 3.5.

I like to play rogues or bards or sorcerers.

crystaltears

Quote from: Starfox on March 20, 2009, 04:48:13 AM
Is there background material available for the setting? Is it the pathfinder setting from paizo?

-We might be using the core classes as outlined in Paizo's Pathfinder, but... The setting itself is a small town in good old Grayhawk. The town is Cauldron, a city built in the bowl of a dormant volcano.

Thanks to you who have expressed interest so far. At 3/6 after only a few hours posted I would say this is looking pretty viable. Let's hope some more have interest as well. I'll try to get back to you guys tomorrow on what sources would be allowed / forbidden in character creation. You can bank on the Core classes being available, they will either be from the 3.5 PHB or from the Pathfinder book. Anything from other sources may not be allowed...

I'd have a definite answer for you but I'm not the one who'll be handling mechanics, that's up to Iressi really. That said, if you have a concept you'd really like to try and incorporate, I would encourage you to PM him. Some good things to include would be Race, Class (and its source book), Character Gender, and a warning if there's anything major you would not want to see.. This is an Adult DnD game so there will likely be many things you -see- that you do not necessarily participate in, but as stated previously, we don't want to run a campaign that might make players uncomfortable.

I will continue to answer those questions I can as the arise.

Fragile Dreams

I'm interested although i must say that i'm not very familiar with 3.5e so i will have to make my studies. I hope it's not a trouble to you, mostly of my long pen and paper experience was with rules that i have created but i will try my best.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Starfox

PMed Iressi.

I'd like some more details about cauldron - what kind of society is it (Feudal, tiranny, oligarchy, repulic), how big it is, what races and religions are present, are there racial tensions, thieves guild, social castes, etc.

crystaltears

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on March 20, 2009, 05:56:22 AM
I'm interested although i must say that i'm not very familiar with 3.5e so i will have to make my studies. I hope it's not a trouble to you, mostly of my long pen and paper experience was with rules that i have created but i will try my best.

-We're fine with that. I'm pretty good about mechanics, I just don't manage them well. Feel free to ask me or Iressi if you have questions and I'll PM you some links to some pretty good sources of information...

That puts us at 4/6 who are interested in playing so I suppose I'll go ahead and put out some more substantial info on the town for you.

-Iressi's Creation Rules:
         -Sources: We will be using Pathfinder beta characters for races and classes. The skills and feats are a little different so you will want to take a look, but they're not so different that anyone who has done 3.5 should have trouble adapting. The download of the beta is available for free through the link I gave in the initial post.
         -Using Pathfinder creation means that only the core classes will be available for play: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Ranger, Rogue, Fighter, Sorcerer, Wizard, Paladin, Monk and Druid.
         -I'll see about getting him to see about posting an OOC thread for us to talk about party makeup / balance, etc. In this campaign it's fairly important to have a cookie cutter party with an extra or two... So Tank, Damage-Dealer, Trap-Finder/Skill Monkey, Healer.
         -Unless someone else shows an interest in the next couple days I will make an 'PNPC' party character who fills any roles that no one else seems to want to.

-More detailed information on Cauldron:
          -Last bastion of civilization in the south.
          -Surrounded by jungle, there are dinosaurs in the wild.
          -Long, hard history involving much warfare. Battles between Demon and Man in ancient times were fought but no such battles have occurred for hundreds of years.
          -Population of 7,500 adults: 79% human, 9% halfling, 5% gnome, 3 dwarf, 2% elf, 1% half-elf, 1% half-orc.
             -Racial tensions are as you might expect from a diverse racial make-up with no blatant bias towards any one race.
             -The mayor himself is a half-el, one of the least-present races in the city.
          -Fairly small presence of nobility (does not mean a player cannot be noble).
              -Unlike the kingdoms in the north nobility is born of money rather than lineage. However, the nobles of Cauldron claim to have both.
          -Cauldron is an oligarchy with a single town mayor and a town council.
          -Many religions are present in Cauldron due to its varied population. However the chief among them are Weejas, then Kord, St Cuthburt, and finally Pelor.
          -There are thieve's guilds in Cauldron. The most recent addition and lately the most visible is 'The Last Laugh'.
          -Most prominent social caste is working-class commoner, though there is a presence of skilled workers as well as the small nobility mentioned above.

That is all pretty much straight from Iressi through my typing. =p I'm sure he'll give more detail in the OOC board, but it gives you something to start with.

Cosmic Latte

Also, I'm not completely set in using Pathfinder. If everyone would rather use just vanilla 3.5 then I am fine with that, just say so now so we can prepare for that. :)

Fragile Dreams

;
Quote from: Iressi on March 20, 2009, 12:04:11 PM
Also, I'm not completely set in using Pathfinder. If everyone would rather use just vanilla 3.5 then I am fine with that, just say so now so we can prepare for that. :)
i'm ok with either since don't know neither of both. Just let me know what to read :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

DnD 3.5! I'm in needless to say I love the system. Don't have Pathfinder however so I can only use the vanilla rules I was thinking if the party covers the basics, a JOAT-build a Jack of All Trades likely start as a Rogue then add two or three classes to fill in all over. A CG half-elf very likely since they would have the time to live to do four classes and be a Rogue/Fighter/Cleric/Wizard by Level 4. lol

Put it this way there would be few magic items she couldn't use, can be a full backup for every character in the game and one could at least in a pinch count of her to try and do something like pick a lock. With all the best equipment she could by and barring that maybe using a chisel and hammer, acid or crowbar. lol

Cosmic Latte

A good start Fragile Dreams would be the d20srd which has all of the rules you would need to create a 1st level character, that is unless you have access to one of the 3.5 books.

As long as she has a good story Ruby, I wouldn't care what class you play XD. As long as you have fun, and everyone else does. :3

Starfox

I would be happy playing bard, sorcerer or rogue, where classes are concerned. Point buy for character build?

Cosmic Latte

More than likely 32 point buy, I want you guys to have a chance after all... <.<

RubySlippers

Quote from: Iressi on March 20, 2009, 12:34:56 PM
A good start Fragile Dreams would be the d20srd which has all of the rules you would need to create a 1st level character, that is unless you have access to one of the 3.5 books.

As long as she has a good story Ruby, I wouldn't care what class you play XD. As long as you have fun, and everyone else does. :3

I figured she would be Chaotic so ,er, gets bored easy so never settled but I might change it depending on my base race. I'll likely roll that randomly and then decide what to do.  ;D

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Iressi on March 20, 2009, 12:34:56 PM

I actually prefer the D&D Wiki, since it goes into greater detail with less hardcore mechanics.  It also includes the Unearthed Arcana and Expanded Psionics Handbook, though it doesn't go any further.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Starfox

Well, I've got the background down as far as I can go without further information (class etc.). It's a classic adventurer/spelunker that got cursed while exploring (plundering) and now is searching for a cure, and of course for gold and other riches. Not a selfless saint, but with the right amount of romantic notions to feel like doing heroic deeds from time to time - and a (wanna-be) womanizer.

Phaia

What classes do ya have so far ? I have an idea for a paladeness!!

Phaia

Cosmic Latte

Ironicly enough Mnemaxa I don't really like that site. It has a lot of homebrewed stuff, which is alright, but its not something I would want to give to somebody who is just starting out. It also has 4th edition information as well, and the Unearthed Arcana and Expanded Psionics Handbook are in the d20srd I linked too. Anyways though it is a alright site, I have used it a few times in the past, but not many.

RubySlippers

Well my character is coming along her name is Sabbati Zhulis a half elf born in town and basically poor but with lots of potential in a few areas.

I'll start as a rogue ,er, scout and performer and burglar and well nothing settled on really. Then add cleric when she goes into her cleric phase. Then fighter when she goes into her fighter phase. And then wizard when she gets around her her mage phase. So by level 4 will be a Cleric 1/Fighter 1/Rogue 1/Wizard 1.

So should eventually fill in everywhere just not be really good at anything special. But you have a spare wand or clerica magic item or weapon she will likely be able to use it.

Cosmic Latte

Sorry to say but for now the game is filled, and is going to be a D&D 3.5 game. I will be making a OOC thread soon.

Phaia

I have a description and a bit of back history if ya would like to see!!