Our World

Started by ReaderGurl, January 17, 2014, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReaderGurl

(An essay I wrote a while ago, I just found it and wanted to share it. Please comment/ constructively criticize!)

Our world is a good place, with good people living in it. There is one thing that bothers me, though, an inescapable thing, something that follows you wherever you are in our world. War. War is an ugly thing, an abomination, something that should not exist. War is everyone’s greatest nightmare, what they hope will never happen, what always happens.

Robbery, much like war, is a real crime, with real consequences. When people see robbery, it’s immediately stopped. Why, then, isn’t war stopped, if war is nothing but a robbery on a much larger scale? War is nothing but a robbery of men’s lives, their happiness, on occasion, their reason; why, then, is it allowed to continue ceaselessly and unchecked? Of course, there are the stated reasons, what the general population is told, and expected to believe. But what’s the real reason? The real reason is that there are some people who simply like to pick fights, some people that enjoy other’s pain.

You may think that if people know more about this common atrocity, it could be stopped. What happens to this thought, however, when people honor veterans, and then… send even more people off to war? It must be wrong. War cannot be explained; it is simply the human instinct to fight, to protect, and to win. It is so deeply ingrained into us, it’s nearly impossible to stop. But maybe if there were more people who wanted to stop it, who simply put down their weapons and refused to fight… maybe there would e less war tomorrow, for our children, for the heirs of our Earth. Maybe there would be less suffering and war in our world.

Vill

Well written. I think it's interesting that most people would agree with your stance, even the ones who fight in wars themselves. It's seldom been the case in history that the soldiers fighting these wars -- namely, the sons and daughters of a population's poor -- are ever in a position to start them. Even those who are not political figure heads that do follow threw with actions that leave another populations feeling justified in declaring war, are normally acting in retaliation to great injustices that have been committed against them. Committing injustices like those are not so different from from openly firing the first bullet.

ReaderGurl

Thanks. I wrote this 10 years ago, when I was 13. It's very interesting to see my old mindset :P