Will you gas up or ride out the fuel cost drop?

Started by Sareya, October 24, 2012, 11:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sareya

Gas has plummeted in the last week (using central Minnesota as a source) from 3.90 to 3.40 (my town currently has had 3.39 up for the past two days). We have to know by now this won't last long. Elections predicted the price would drop, even though our president has eff-all to do with prices at the pump. Seems the major gas companies are enjoying their game of tennis with our gallons. But! What are you in the mood for at the moment?
Sareya's Standard Procedure|--|Absenses and Schedule Updates
Education is a Discovery of our own Ignorance.

Vekseid

At-pump prices are largely determined by refinery capacity. Because so much less gas gets used in winter, price drops are typical. In addition to this, per-capita usage of gasoline has been dropping in the US for decades, for many various reasons, and it doesn't show any sign of stopping.

TaintedAndDelish

Gas up or ride out the fuel cost drop? Good question. If I had the extra money, I would likely buy oil ( or stock that follows the price of oil )  when its low to offset the cost of it when its high. Sadly like most folks, I live paycheck to paycheck, so I'l be buying it when I get paid - home heating oil, that is. Other than that, one can learn to hypermile to save a little extra money.

Oniya

I think your link may be broken.  I got a page with about half a dozen to a dozen articles, but didn't see 'hypermile' anywhere.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

If I weren't a mechanical disaster I would be tempted to start experimenting with biodiesel. The book I read about preparing your own makes it sound doable - just.

But then there's the question of keeping the stuff where it won't gel in the winter. Mrs h would be double plus unhappy with a 55-gallon tank in the guest bedroom.

Lilias

We're in the UK, where a few circumstances are different (cheaper fuel, but usage sharply increasing during the winter), but the need to manage the pump budget is there nonetheless, as I suppose is the case for salaried people worldwide.

I don't drive, but the husband (who has a 40something-mile round trip daily commute) has started carpooling with a colleague, with the possibility of adding a third after half-term break. Considering that such a commute needs a refill every week, and that there have been weeks we had to cough up £70 for said refill (never below £55, either), slashing the bill by 1/2 or 2/3, with a bit of luck, is going to make a huge difference.

Thank goodness home heating doesn't factor in the equation.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2012, 08:31:23 AM
I think your link may be broken.  I got a page with about half a dozen to a dozen articles, but didn't see 'hypermile' anywhere.

The link is good, it just takes a little time time mind the meat, so to speak. Its an online community of hypermilers. The core of their advice on how to hypermile and how it works is detailed here. In brief, its about learning to drive more efficiently.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510