On Serenity's Seas[FILLED]

Started by Phyrfaerie, March 30, 2011, 08:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phyrfaerie

~~THIS RP HAS BEEN FILLED.~~

If you just cant stand the thought of not playing, PM Phyrfaerie, and we will see what we can do about giving you a guest spot. I currently have 3 open spots.

((It has been pointed out that some folks may not have ever heard of a Space Opera. Basically, its like a hybrid between a soap opera and a space epic. Thus the title Space Opera. :) I hope this clarifys the "Do I have to sing?" question. ))

Im a huge fan of the Space Opera Serenity. I think that with a little help, we could make a swingin' time on a ship like a Firefly ( though not the Firefly as Mal might come looking for his ship >.> ) This is just an interest check to see if there are any like minded people that might want to explore a world where Reavers are ever encroaching and we gotta make a stand somewhere..

Some ideas for folks that we need: Captain, Second in command, engineer, pilot, and of course theres the assorted and various crew. Medical officer, chaplain, or just a merc for hire.. any and all are welcome aboard the yet to be named ship.  (the size of the ship will be determined by the interest shown in the RP.)

Generally speaking, the RP will be plot driven and plot motivated, with your resident Phyrfaerie at the helm. For those that are already assigned a role, instead of a traditional character sheet, filled with stats that may or may not get played, Im going to offer two solutions: If you want to be part of the established crew, post in this thread with your name, age, gender, and a brief history how you came to be on the ship. It can be anything from " I was war buddies with the Capt." to " I was sold to this crew to pay off a gambling debt." I can work with it all. ( For those that are using another character, please use them a minimal amount, due to their eventual RL player's ability to be as creative as they may wish. ) For those that wish to meet the crew, and come aboard during the first couple of posts, PM me your name, age, gender, what planet you are from, and the business you wish to complete while aboard.

On a personal note, I dont mind pictures of people to describe a character. Please, no anime type drawings for this RP. ( While I drool all over anime generally, it will not fit into the scheme of this RP.) I encourage you all to stretch that mental muscle and come up with a person all on your own, complete with flaws and a fleshed out personality. ( if you need help, or you need details of the universe, feel free to PM me and we can collaborate with one another.)

Question Mark

I haven't seen all the episodes, but I have a good idea of the 'verse and have liked what I've seen.  Voicing my interest, possibly for engineer or mercenary protection.

Phyrfaerie

Awesome! I will post a skeleton character sheet tomorrow, most likely. Glad to have you aboard.

Question Mark

FYI, I am 100% supportive of this RP being plot-first.  Not enough of those around here, in my opinion.   And as far as sexualitynesserstuff, er, goes, I'm fine with anything.  If it lies outsides my preferences, I simply won't participate sexually.

In the meantime - *snaps fingers, big fluffed futon appears* - I shall sleep on this handily summoned futon until more volunteers arrive.

RubySlippers

Need or want a Registered Companion I always loved Inara on the show and want to do a character like her.

Nowan

Love the show and if it can be done well then I would love to be in it. I'm thinking a merc but not an earlier Brown Coat, more a career military officer in the Alliance that defected for some unknown reason. He will be mistrusted by the crew at first. Tough, cold, intelligent and calculating but wanting to do right he will have to work hard to win trust. He could sit on a lot of useful information about the Alliance. And if no one else wants the role then why not make him a good chef as well? :)
"Life is to be consumed, spent, used up and then it is meant to be discarded."

Nowan's On and Off - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=101543.0

"Etchings of the Weaver" - A GMed fantasy Group RP in a Silk Road setting - now accepting players! - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=101790.0

Phyrfaerie

So, we have the following:

Captain - MrPanda

Lieutenant/Second in command -QuestionMark

Pilot - Destiny Ascension

Mercenary/Military Support  - Nowan (also, the unofficial cook! >.>)

Registered Companion - RubySlippers

Engineer -(yet to be determined)

This looks to be the start of an awesome crew! I hesitate to offer myself as either the Captain or the Lieutenant because I will most likely be pushing the plot for the forseeable future and have no wish to 'drag' people along in a SL.  ( Though if any of you guys have a plot hook or a SL, Id love to incorporate it! Guest ST for the win! ) Ill be updating the first post here with a character sheet type thing: name age blah blah so we can work out whether or not to meet people IC or whether we are a formed crew. I will also be sending you all a PM with questions regarding availability for posting. Id humbly like to stipulate that I would prefer a one post a week minimum, as stories cannot progress with just plot and no actors. If this cannot work for you, Im sure we can find a reason why.. :) Also, as a side note to those who may have a teasing interest in this, Registered Companions can be either male or female, so all are welcome.

Nowan

Feels like I am taking up two seats now. I could focus on shooting and leave the cooking to someone else. I can post atleast twice a week and probably more frequently.

"Etchings of the Weaver" - A GMed fantasy Group RP in a Silk Road setting - now accepting players! - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=101790.0

Destiny Ascension

Oooooh, I love the Firefly universe :D

Neeeeeeeed a pilot?  :-)
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Nowan

I think we definently do... I'm not one for drifting aimlessly in space.

Phyrfaerie

We -do- need a pilot.  Consider yourself hired. Please refer to the front post for your next set of instructions. :)

RubySlippers

Quote from: Nowan on March 31, 2011, 02:10:46 PM
Feels like I am taking up two seats now. I could focus on shooting and leave the cooking to someone else. I can post atleast twice a week and probably more frequently.

My character can cook assuming that she is not gainfully employed, but we can have others cook to no need for someone full time doing that. Or I could just by an indentured servants contract to work at the little jobs on the ship in return for her getting free room & board - cook, clean, do everyones laundry etc.

Phyrfaerie

*laughs* Folks, this is a silly detail. Generally speaking, everyone cooks on the ship. Everyone does their own laundry. If there is a cook or a laundress, you can be damn sure they are not only on the ship to do that!

NiceTexasGuy

I'm definitely up for this. 

I can play the captain if needed, but don't want to come on too strong about that if others are interested in that role, as I have ideas for plenty of other characters as well.

Meanwhile, I'll be thinking up an interesting backstory to explain how someone of such little means came to be the owner/operator of his own cargo ship...  Most likely won it in a poker game, unless another inspiration strikes.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

EbonyQueen

Ooooh Serenity. I absolutely -loved- Serenity!

*Peers at the duty roster*

Hmm... What has/has not been filled yet, I may just apply for a seat.

Mrpanda

Name: Lynea Stern

Crew Role: Captain

Appearances: Tall, about 5'9" in height with a decent athletic build of someone who came from military. She let her blonde hair grow out to almost shoulder length and are complimented with nice blue eyes. While Lynea is attractive, she isn't going win any Core World pageants. If one looks close enough or are a medical professional, they could probably see the almost invisible surgical scars that suggest likely extensive cosmetic surgery.

Brief History: While Lynea doesn't talk much about her history, there's been enough hints and familiarity to certain skills that suggest Lynea's childhood was on a ranch somewhere on Hera. Her childhood was a happy one, at the very least she never made it much complaints about it. When the unification war came, a 24 year old Lynea joined the war on the side of the Independents. Despite this popular choice among the outer worlds, this seemed to turn the relationship with her family sour. The details about her involvement in the war are sketchy and like most veterans, the captain rarely speaks up about those times. However, with 23rd Militia, Lynea saw and fought through the war from beginning to end, including the Battle of Serenity Valley. In the last battle, the entire 23rd Militia was wiped out, just another statistic in the 700,000 lost.

Since then, Lynea had to work from the ground up in earning enough money to buy a ship, but ended just stealing one from a group of bandits. Feeling no connection or longing for the New 'verse that had started to form.  Recruitment to fill in the crew requirements had been rough and strange to say the least, but she wouldn't trade what she has now for any amount of credit offered.

She's more than capable of taking care of herself and is generally a good leader/Captain when she needs to be. A little introverted, Lynea has enough social skills to get along with her crew and find jobs. Snark does tend to pour out of her mouth when under abundance of fear, getting her into more trouble than she already was on occasion. While isn't one to wear dresses, this doesn't mean she won't or she isn't feminine. It's just substantially subdued and would only come out for the right situation or person.

Question Mark

Was wondering if I could grab Second in Command?  I don't want captain, but I like the flexibility of SIC.  I'm busy at the moment, but I'll get my character sheet up soon.

Mrpanda

Since I'm trying to lay claim to the tight pants of a captain, would you like to discuss with me and see what we can come up with, Question Mark? :D

Question Mark

Sure, that sounds like a particularly good idea.  Send me a PM with your thoughts.  I'll reply when I get a moment (either tonight or tomorrow).

Phyrfaerie

Quote from: EbonyQueen on March 31, 2011, 05:52:39 PM
Ooooh Serenity. I absolutely -loved- Serenity!

*Peers at the duty roster*

Hmm... What has/has not been filled yet, I may just apply for a seat.

Ebony Queen, with Question Mark taking the SiC, the spot of Engineer has opened up..

@NTG - Captain has already been called for, however, there are still heaps of jobs open on the ship. Medical Officer has not been staked, nor has Engineer..

I would also like to point out that you may start this RP as a business person simply buying passage on a ship... you neednt be a ranking crew member to play.

Question Mark

Quote from: Phyrfaerie on March 31, 2011, 06:48:27 PM
Ebony Queen, with Question Mark taking the SiC, the spot of Engineer has opened up..

@NTG - Captain has already been called for, however, there are still heaps of jobs open on the ship. Medical Officer has not been staked, nor has Engineer..

I would also like to point out that you may start this RP as a business person simply buying passage on a ship... you neednt be a ranking crew member to play.

Why not both engineer and SiC?

Phyrfaerie

Various reasons but mostly because I want there to be two different people doing two different jobs. If you will remember in the series,  the engineer had to go off and buy parts while Zoe and Mal went to trade with the merc's. I appreciate that you want to be helpful, but another person could play in that role.

Question Mark

Good point.  Hmm, which do I want to be...  I think I'll go with SiC; MrPanda and I will work on the backstory.

RubySlippers

My Companion is not going to be crew she might do it because she likes cooking but she is not a common servant. (huff)

Mrpanda

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 31, 2011, 07:41:37 PM
My Companion is not going to be crew she might do it because she likes cooking but she is not a common servant. (huff)

Well as long as she pays for the air she breathes, Lynea is all for her being around.