Skyhold - A DA:I RP

Started by Primarch, January 25, 2015, 09:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xPeachyPuff

To be honest, I used to be the same. I couldn't understand why group games wanted you to pick a face for your character when I first joined here, but ever since I started using images I've become accustomed to it and sometimes I even over use images when I find loads of what I like from a model lol. I usually think of what sort of character I want, and then before I write anything up on that character I look for a model to base their looks off, if you know what I mean. That way, my model is my character in a sense. Obviously you can always add extra details in other places on the profiles so that they are exactly what you want.

- Rainbow ♥

Vergil Tanner

Oh, I get that, and I have no issue with people Faceclaiming; if people wanna faceclaim in games I'm running, I won't stop them. *shrug* I just find that part of the process of creating a character for me is also creating their appearance to be exactly the way I want it to be, which helps me visualise and build the character. As such, it's rare that a faceclaim will fit...I have looked up inspiration in the past, but I just find personally speaking that I prefer to build them from the ground up, appearance and all. If a textual description is good enough for Tolkien, Pratchett and R. Jordan, it's good enough for me, haha. It means I have complete control over what my character looks like...of course, sometimes I'll stumble across a picture that matches pretty much exactly what I had in mind and I'll use that instead. In an RP that I'm running, one of my characters started off with no faceclaim, then I was searching on google for different cuts of suits and found a picture of somebody and I was like "Ooh, that looks exactly like how I imagined this character!" I'd never seen him before in my life, so started using him...and then found out that he was a fairly big TV star that I'd never ever heard of called Matt Bomer. Go figure, eh?

But as a general rule, I prefer textually building my character from the ground up. If I can find a picture for them...brilliant! If I can't, I tend to try and go for text descriptions instead. But that's just me. I like having 100% creative control over my character, and that sometimes makes it difficult to find pictures I'm happy using. :P
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

la dame en noir

You think you have a hard time? Try being interested in Fantasy/Sci Fi and preferring to play characters that are dark skinned/brown/etc.

It's almost impossible to find these sorts of characters in those sort of settings.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Vergil Tanner

Yeah, I can imagine...it must royally suck, especially when you have a specific image in your head. I would find that infuriating, haha...well, you always have the good ol' character creators to fall back on. If they had decent settings that is...

Sorry, spent an hour and a half wrestling with a character creator. Feeling a bit hostile towards them at the moment. I'll stop now.

Anyway, yeah, I can see how that would be maddening. :-/ I have a similar problem when it comes to playing female elfs when people want pictures. Every single one that is of decent quality is in a bikini, and I'm like "No! I want armour that works, not armour that distracts!" O_O Of course, that might be a sliiiiightly different problem, haha.

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Juggtacular

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 27, 2015, 07:12:19 PM

Anyway, yeah, I can see how that would be maddening. :-/ I have a similar problem when it comes to playing female elfs when people want pictures. Every single one that is of decent quality is in a bikini, and I'm like "No! I want armour that works, not armour that distracts!" O_O Of course, that might be a sliiiiightly different problem, haha.

This goes perfectly with the issue

OGLAF Armor Issue(Semi-NSFW)

Vergil Tanner

Honestly? I can see their logic. In a lot of fantasy games, armour does do literally nothing. XD

mia h

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 27, 2015, 06:43:57 PM
Ok, so. This is the closest I could get in the sometimes nightmarish character creation of DA:I. The little pixelly bit on the right-hand cheek is where I coloured over the aforementioned cheekbone that was jutting out at an angle that you could slice bread on. His features are a little more weathered, his jaw a little narrower, but it's a reasonable approximation of what I had in my head. The drawing is closer, but this picture will serve:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Kinda reminds me of Vinne Jones in Galavant  :D
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Vergil Tanner

LOL. I can sorta see what you mean, haha. Vinnie Jones is a bit too bulky and doesn't have a prominent enough chin/jaw, but yeah, I can see what you mean. Vinnie Jones does exude a kind of "Don't Fuck With Me" aura, though doesn't he? I was very excited when I heard Vinnie Jones's voice in Arrow the other week... XD

la dame en noir

Quote from: mia h on January 28, 2015, 02:46:17 AM
Kinda reminds me of Vinne Jones in Galavant  :D

!!! That show is the best!!!! <3
A&A | FxF |

la dame en noir

If anyone wants to take a look, I managed to finish my character's quick appearance description and history.

I'll finish the rest when I wake up! :3
A&A | FxF |

mia h

And if anyone is looking for game details etc. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki

also this looks useful for the skill treeshttp://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Specializations

la dame en noir

Finished
Player: la dame en noir
Character: Juliette Augusto
Origin Path: Human Noble

Appearance: Juliette stands at an average of five feet, five inches. Her body is shapely - Large breasts, hips, butt and small waist - all seem to run in the family when it came to the women. Her brown hair compliments her honey toned skin and iridescent green-hazel eyes. She prefers to dress elegant at the best of times, saving for her dancing clothes she wears while entertaining others.

Positon: Lady - Diplomat
Class: Bard/Dancer
Skills: N/A
Equipment: N/A
Mount: Royal Sixteen Hart

Favourite Gifts:

Eloquent & Persuasive: Juliette has a knack for convincing even some of the toughest delegates and nobles to bend at her will. Her soft and flirty way of speaking lets guards down pretty quickly, making it easy for her to sway them in the direction she wants. This trait is always linked to something dishonorable or evil, but at times is necessary when dealing with difficult contacts.
Dancer:This natural gift she acquired through her teenage years makes for infiltrating dangerous clients and dignitaries an easier feat. Though, she more often uses it to seduce those she's interested in on a physical level.

Hated Gifts:

Lie Detector: Juliette has been unsuccessful in the romance part of her life. Whenever she gets too close to anyone, she often has a way of telling when someone is being faithful. This has caused plenty of relationships and friendships to end because of this ability. Though it is a very useful gift to have, she always dreamed she would be better off without it.
Hard to get: Because of her ability to detect a liar from a truthful person, she has a hard time being intimate with a lot of men. Thus making relationships with women to be a more prominent factor in her life.

Backstory: Juliette was fortunate to grow up in a very wealthy noble family in Antiva. As the only child to well-known diplomats, she had plenty of resources that would shape her career for the future. Growing up in Antiva with an affluent family, she had the fortunate experience of getting the best education status and money could buy. Juliette, being a naturally eloquent speaker, picked up a knack for lying to get the truth out of her parents and family. More often than not, she would get away with such a devious act, but little did she know it would shape her into the woman she grew up to be. Although a favorite amongst her friends and noblemen, it was rumored that her family was hiding a secret about her heritage, figuring that the family would lose their status if they were to ever find out.

It is said that Juliette is the bastard child of an Elven woman and her father, Vincent Augusto. Though not confirmed, it sparked talk amongst the poor and rich alike giving the fact that her features were somewhat elf like. When this knowledge hit her own ears, she wanted to know the truth from her family, but they remained silent only telling her that it was just a rumor. Because of this, she has vowed to find out the truth for herself, following a path of diplomacy much like her family has done for generations.

Despite her privileged background, Juliette often snuck out with a few of her closet friends to dance in taverns and experience the life as a commoner. She grew very much in love with the culture and the people and it a hobby that she would frequent quite often. Her dancing, eloquence, and beauty, all brought quite the following and fanbase that she did not expect. During her eighteenth birthday, she encountered a group of elite noblemen from the Tevinter territory. She knew of the Tevinter people, but not put a lot of time into really knowing who they were as a people.

While performing for them, she learned they were there for more than just a visit. They were looking for an illegal way of kidnapping the common folk of Antiva to sell into slavery in Tevinter. The Antivan men and women were known for their good looks and sexual freedom and expression, making them a nice target for slavery and good money. Worried, Juliette quickly found a few of her noble assassins to get rid of them and find out who exactly was behind the whole charade from the beginning. After these events had passed, Juliette made a point to take her diplomacy seriously, using her dancing as a skill to find those that were hard to get through by other means.

Now, she dedicates her energy to finding out gossip before it begins and using her diplomacy to relay messages and negotiations between cultures and nations.

Other: 
Theme - El Dorado by Two Steps from Hell

Ons: Romance, Intimacy, Playful Kisses, Being the top towards women, rough sex, Passion, mutual masturbation, Mild non-consent.
Offs: Poor hygiene, bathroom play, animals
A&A | FxF |

Vergil Tanner

@Mia H:

The problem with that second site you linked - for the Specs - is that it doesn't give you the tree...so if you don't know much about Dragon Age, you can't map out your skill points properly because you don't have a visual representation of the trees...it can be difficult to find pictures of them, too. If people are having difficulties with that (like, they can't find pics to reference for their skill allocation) I'm happy to take some screenshots and label them for peoples convenience. :-)

@la dame en noir:

Oooh, nice...I like it! I mean, there are a couple of things that I personally picked up on that you might want to change, but then, I'm not the GM so if Primarch is fine with it, then so am I. :-) I'm gonna put the things I noticed in a spoiler, and if you don't care about my questions or comments, you can just ignore them and not open the Spoiler. :-)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

-  "she can always tell when they're telling the truth or just lying" - That seems a little...definite, especially for a game full of spies and whatnot. Even just changing the wording to "usually" would give the other players a bit of wriggle room...I mean, no matter how good you are, nobody's perfect, right? Even the best (for example) Chess Master in the world isn't going to win ALL of his games.
-  "Because of her ability to detect a liar from a truthful person, she has a hard time being intimiate with a lot of men. Thus making relationships with women to be a more prominent factor in her life." - I might be completely misreading this, and if I am, I apologise but that comes across as almost offensively sexist to me. I mean, the way it reads makes it look like you're suggesting that only men lie in relationships and that women are always 100% honest. Or are you more going down the route of "she can tell when a male is lying but not when a female is?" I dunno. Just something that leapt out at me that you might want to take a look at. :-)

On another note, I love Two Steps From Hell. :D I was going through their catalogue the other day on my Ipod trying to find a theme song for Kas. XD

la dame en noir

Alright, I think I'm going to drop this RP lol.
A&A | FxF |

Vergil Tanner

Um....I'm actually not sure if you're joking or not, haha.

>.>
<.<
>.>

la dame en noir

I'm not. You have effectively annoyed me on more than one occassion, but I refused to go into greater detail on this thread.

1. Her ability to not trust men was not a sexist trait, the men in her life (those that wanted to be intimate towards her) were always there on a physical level and tried using her. Eventually she could tell when one was truthful from another, thus making women a better choice for intimate encounter (which have been too few for her to judge).

You seem to think that someone should shape their character to bend your will and how you want them. If this is the case, you need to be writing your own novels instead of roleplaying. I can remove the first gift because I was also very tired when I wrote it.

But you have eradicated my muse and I'm pretty upset.

Have fun.
A&A | FxF |

xPeachyPuff

No, la dame ;-;

- Rainbow ♡

Vergil Tanner

Well...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anything, and I started off by saying that you could feel free to completely ignore me, that I don't have any power and that if the others think I'm being picky then I won't mention it again and that I didn't want or expect you to change your character on my whims. I only mentioned that it was the way I had taken it, and was asking for some kind of clarification on the matter because the original writing was fairly vague in what it meant (at least to me). I said that I could be completely misunderstanding you and apologised if that was the case.
I never suggested you should "bend to my will" and I sincerely apologise if I came across that way. It wasn't my intention and I didn't mean any offence when I mentioned the niggles I had.

I think from now on, I should just be quiet...I seem to be rubbing people the wrong way, and for that I humbly apologise to all of you. :-(

mia h

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 28, 2015, 03:48:39 PM
@Mia H:

The problem with that second site you linked - for the Specs - is that it doesn't give you the tree...

You mean something like this ? http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Artificer+Ability+Tree Yeah, you're right there's nothing at all on that site like that  ::)
Another swing and a miss.

la dame en noir

Assortment of cute gifs to get everyone nice and happy

A&A | FxF |

Vergil Tanner

Huh, for some reason I couldn't find that on the site. I did look...just apparently not very well. I seem to be very bad at finding things recently. Maybe I need to enlist the services of a Hufflepuff...

Anyway, yeah, you're right. I was mistaken; my apologies. :-)

Juggtacular

vin26m

Quote from: mia h on January 28, 2015, 07:26:41 AM
And if anyone is looking for game details etc. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki

also this looks useful for the skill treeshttp://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Specializations

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on January 28, 2015, 03:48:39 PM
@Mia H:

The problem with that second site you linked - for the Specs - is that it doesn't give you the tree...so if you don't know much about Dragon Age, you can't map out your skill points properly because you don't have a visual representation of the trees...it can be difficult to find pictures of them, too. If people are having difficulties with that (like, they can't find pics to reference for their skill allocation) I'm happy to take some screenshots and label them for peoples convenience. :-)

Quote from: mia h on January 28, 2015, 04:21:42 PM
You mean something like this ? http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Artificer+Ability+Tree Yeah, you're right there's nothing at all on that site like that  ::)
Another swing and a miss.

That's just for the specialization tree (for a rogue, the specializations are artificer, assassin or tempest). 

Even then, you can't make a build - it's just a picture of the specialization tree with links to abilities.  Not very useful.

Also, it's not for the skill trees (like the four skill trees for a rogue) that would be used before the specialization quest is done and a specialization is chosen. 

These aren't rogue skill trees (just a list of abilities in each tree) and are still not very useful:

http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Double+Daggers
http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Archery
http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Sabotage
http://dragonage3.wiki.fextralife.com/Subterfuge

I poked around and didn't see anything for single player skill trees.

Maybe this game can just use multi-player skill trees - http://da-skills.net/ - instead of single player skill trees.  At that website you can make builds and link them.  There are only two skill trees in multiplayer instead of four skill trees plus one specialization tree in single player, but good characters can still be made.

Juggtacular

If I'm not mistaken Primarch gave 2 lists in the bio code that let you make a quick build for the classes within DA:I, and you're given 20 points. It's quick and easy.

la dame en noir

Quote from: Juggtacular on January 28, 2015, 05:24:39 PM
If I'm not mistaken Primarch gave 2 lists in the bio code that let you make a quick build for the classes within DA:I, and you're given 20 points. It's quick and easy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A&A | FxF |