Heatwave

Started by Jadeling, April 29, 2009, 06:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crovonovin

Well, do tell me what you decide on and I'll do my best!  I'm already scouring about for things that might work.

Jadeling

I wouldn't say guns are 'out' as such, but I think it's going to be a little difficult to run around with all this exotic equipment without attracting unwanted attention >;3

Back in a tick.

/EDIT Remember that any characters you have should be able to masquerade (or 'are') as perfectly normal university students (or faculty, I suppose). Equipment, noticeable deformities etc. are bad.

Remember that I'm pretty flexible about magic. Maybe the shooter creates his own weapons on the fly? (Green lantern magic!) Or the Bruiser can be temporarily possessed by friendly animal spirits to augment his own considerable abilities? Don't let convention stop you. A character that only 'dies' for a short while, and then reforms their body and resurrects? Someone completely normal who just happens to have inherited some kind of mystical sword, drawn from an apparently empty scabbard? Let your brain run wild.

Ty

Ah, I had started from a mundane position, as I thought that was desired. Also the rest of the crew seem pretty low-key. I will think on it further.

Jadeling

I was just asking for a mundie because otherwise I'd have a full cast of powers. Though my Cryptozoologist seems to be unpowered right now.

Ty

Name : Anthony Healy
Speciality : Wrestling Evil Things.

[If anyone can find a suitable picture, awesome]

Appearnace : The first thing people notice about 'The Ant' is he is big. He's not the biggest guy on campus, or on the football pitch. But even when standing with his teammates, he *seems* a bit bigger, a bit stronger, a bit more permanent. His dark brown skin and short curly hair make some people suprised at the English accent he speaks in, usually in a quiet tone, with a smile and an attempt at a joke or play on words. When the chips are down though (either on the pitch or with the Kook Club) he can shout and snarl easily enough.

Anthony generally wears semi-smart trousers and sleeveless shirts, especially at classes (which are primarily Maths). Though when expecting physical activity he'll change into light comfortable sportswear. He wore glasses when he first came to the university, but has moved on to contact lenses, perhaps out of vanity. He only needs them to read anyway.

Personality : Ant isn't a sheepish gentle giant, but instead a young man comfortable in his body. Or so it seems to most people. He keeps the English accent and the punning as coping mechanism for his shyness. He's not really the kind of person who could be 'one of the Jocks' but he is pretty sure that the nerdy circles wouldn't accept him either, so he hangs on the edges of multiple cliques, never quite fitting in to any. Except perhaps the Kook Club, but does anyone 'fit in' there? Whilst not a virgin, he hasn't had a long-term relationship between his shyness and some misunderstandings that might be amusing to an outside person. Not being able to talk about the Kook Club has also been strain.

Between his studies and the football team, Ant can sometimes be quite busy, leaving long nights of research to other members. But he will also turn up if called in, which currently causes some trouble as he had to recently miss a match due to injuries from a case (which he obviously couldn't *explain*)

Skills : Primarly Ant brings to the team some muscle. He's taken a fair few classes in various martial arts since he joined the club, which matched with his physical talent tends to do the job. He's more of a wrestler than anything else, but if some needs to pick up something heavy and break zombie skulls, or whatever he doesn't suffer for it.

One shouldn't ignore though the times his athleticism has helped. If the case calls for some running, jumping and climbing trees he's certainly better suited than the girls of the KC.

What Ant doesn't know though, is his success at dealing with supernatural enemies is not just skill and size. He is part of a family line of warriors in defence of the world. The blessing this gives is subtle, sometimes the world lends the warriors enough strength to match his opponent, and sometimes it binds his opponents powers once he has bound their movements. It's not enough for him to be a lone hunter of evil (at this level of development anyway), but it suffices for the KC.

Jadeling

If we get one-more, I might kick-start the thread early.

That said, remember this will be my first time (terror!) GMing anything ever. So bear with me, please. :3

Ixy

Hi... late catch here, but this sounds to be truly fun. 

If your roles are all filled, I understand completely.  If not, however, I'd like to submit a couple character ideas.  If I couldn't be part of the 'big' group, maybe I could play a side-role... a consultant, faculty sponsor, or maybe a 'graduate' who's doing some outside work with the government or, perhaps, in another city.  That way, the group dynamic could be intact, but I could chip in here or there.

I'll send some ideas here today.  As I said, though, if it's not OK, I understand, and won't feel rejected and go cry it out over a bottle of Merlot and a whole bag of Smarties.  :)

Jadeling

Just PM me a (fleshed-out) concept and we'll roll from there between us. There's still a role left before I force-start, so you could totally apply for that.

Ixy

Name: Dr. Ena Shaw

Concept: Fringe Scientist

Skills: Extraordinary IQ and scientific knowledge base, vast library of obscure occult knowledge, and equipment for research and experimentation.

Physical Description:

Dr. Ena Shaw has coppery-red hair, wavy but cropped at her shoulders and, usually, drawn up in a pair of ivory or silver combs.  She's slight of figure with long, slender legs, and is remarkably good-looking for a scientist who, so far as anyone is aware, has no dating life.  She has large, Irish green eyes, full lips, small breasts.  Supposedly, she runs daily to and from campus from a few miles away, though she rarely follows a pattern that can be easily predicted.  She sometimes wears narrow, light glasses that she either perches atop her head or lets hang from a carved-bone-bead string around her neck.  Her lab coats of heavy, protective synthetics are rarely sufficient for her kind of work, and she might as well be found in a full rubber apron and HAZMAT mask as the traditional professorial garb.  For lectures-- when she actually shows up in person-- she tends to favor simple, modern takes on classical fashions-- tight black sweaters and Victorian boots, Summer-print dresses from Anthropologie, or-- if she's wrapped up in her work-- coveralls, corduroy pants and flannel shirts, or even cargo pants.
Background:

Ena Shaw was a child prodigy in math and science who attained 4 PhD's by the time she was 25.  She spent years at Oxford conducting research and teaching in chemistry, evolutionary biology, and quantum mechanics and theoretical physics.  Her work led her on several long sabbaticals, and gave her access to apocryphal science from ancient cultures and classified government operations.  She contracted work for the US Defense Department as part of her tenure.

During the course of a prolonged investigation in Massachusetts into a pattern of magnetic disturbances and odd social behavior, she made a number of breakthroughs in connecting quantum physics with apocryphal rituals she'd unearthed in the estate remnants of an eccentric heiress.  Somewhere during the course of her research, however, something either a) went horribly wrong, or b) went too right, too quickly.  Early one morning, three of her lab assistants were found catatonic following what appeared to be an act of sadomasochistic copulation gone horribly awry.  Ena Shaw herself was found two hours later wandering the countryside in her underwear-- evidently, she'd suffered a nervous breakdown. 

She was unable to work again for the better part of two years.  As rumors and speculation abounded regarding the questionable nature of the brilliant, dangerous, and morally ambiguous work she was conducting, she was dismissed from Oxford on surreptitious grounds.  Her security clearance was rescinded, and she was institutionalized somewhere on the East Coast for evaluation and a rehabilitative mix of counseling and pharmaceutical therapy.  Her lab equipment went into storage pending investigation upon her release-- an investigation that was inexplicably dismissed two years ago.  She accepted a post to teach Theoretical Physics and Microbiology at The University.  Effectively filling two exceptionally specialized tenure positions, she has a small staff of Graduate Teaching Assistants, a wide variety of technology, and even a marginal budget at her disposal. 

Oh, and she has time for extracurricular activities.  As in, for instance, acting as faculty sponsor for a little-known student organization...

Still young by comparison to her colleagues, Ena's now 30 and has, surprisingly, seemed to have recovered completely from the mental break.  She's broken ground a hundred times over into the realms of paranormal research; her lab, in fact, is a frightening collage of totemic items and personally-modified scientific instruments.  Nightmares have plagued her, and what was at first a circumspect awareness of disturbingly insightful occult lore has now become a fixation for her-- her life's work will be to bridge the connection between mystical, horrifying legend and undiscovered science.  In doing so, however, she's realized that she'll need to be far more than a scientist... she'll be an outlaw, a heretic, and a kook.

Transgirlenstein

Afraid I'll have to drop out.  My apologies.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Cosmo_ac

If their is a Role open, i might be willing to join up. It sounds interesting.  Kind'a like a lighthearted sexcapade. 

Jadeling

's allright serpent. Cosmo, go ahead and post something up.

Ty

Jadeling should of course confirm or deny this, but I believe the main role remaining (unless you just have a great idea of your own to put forward) is some kind of leader for the group. Preferably male.

Cosmo_ac

Ok, so i'm going for a kind'a Xander-Like leader?  I can do that.  Anything in particuler you'd like the character to have/not have etc?  Or would you like him to be a kind'a everyday man.  No particuler skills, but not really bad at anything either?

Crovonovin

I think that's really all up to you at this point, so long as the character himself is actually human.  If there's anything wrong, I'm sure that can be fixed after the fact.

Jadeling

I want to start the game soon, so if you could get your sheet up that'd be nice. :3

Cosmo_ac

Name:  Richard Small
Sex: Male
Skills:  Aboveaverage boxer, in above average physical condition, leadership experience.
Physical Description:  Richard stands a good 5'9 and weighs in at 170 lbs.  While not a huge man, Rchard has a decent amount of muscle on his lean body and is athletic.  He has a clean shaven face, with short brown hair and emerald green eyes.  He is handsome, but not model quality.  His body is also clean shaven, save his eyesbrows. 

Background:  Richard is the oldest brother of three younger sibblings, all in their early to late teens.  While not overly smart or skilled, Richard has some experience taking on the role of a leader, as when his father disapeared when he was a child, he found himself having to step into the lead male role of the family, juggling a part time job as well as school.  Richard had two main outlets in his life, his first being boxing, something that he has become rather skilled at,and two, solving mysteries.  At first it was a hobby for him, but as he delved deeper into the mysteries of of the area, it took amuch bigger role in his life, spuring him on.  He does his best to look out for both his family and the other members of the club.

Jadeling

I can launch an OOC thread where, once you've posted char profiles, you can start playing/doing what you want (probably in Exotic Group), or you can wait for me to look at a few group roleplays so I can work out how to do this well. > >

Either way, I'm going to have assignments over the next week or so.