The Lost Legions (OOC/Discussion)

Started by Aiden, April 16, 2009, 01:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Raven

Naming Practices of the Germanic Tribes

Or...  "Unfortunately the records don't go back that far..."

I'm going to post a few links from my SCA stuff so that the gals can have some idea of the Germanic/Frankish naming practices that may have been in use at the time of our story.  Unfortunately, they being women, their names were only recorded if important...and at that time women were property in that area.  Even more so in the Roman empire.  (In the matriarchal Brythonic tribes they were not...but we're not in England, we're in Germany...so.)

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/guntram/franks.htm
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/merovence.html
http://members.tripod.com/nicolaa5/articles/german.html

And remember, as captives, they would be renamed something else a Roman could pronounce... ;-)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Anthea

Daylily, you're a pure sweetheart !  :-*
Thank you for providing help for the names.
I'm a bit ashamed though because I should have think of it too. I'm french and these name are very familiar to our history...
Anyway, if someone needs help or has question or whatever, do not hesitate !
Never tickle a sleeping dragon

my yes and no

The Dark Raven

*grins*  You are most welcome. 

Though I must admit I'm glad the Romans may find easier-to-pronounce names for them later...lol  I'm more versed in the Anglo-Saxon names.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Anthea

LOL, I do understand as I feel just the same !
Oh by the way, would you mind me to be your younger sister ? If it's OK with everyone though.

my yes and no

The Dark Raven

That's fine with me.  My gal is going to be a young widow (ah the wonders of a vendetta to play with), so her husband would be one that would not be coming home from the battle.

Anthea

Mmmm...what a sweet word vendetta is !
Whoops, sorry ! LOL
OK, so I'm gonna find a name to mine...let's say she could be something like 16 and almost betrothed to a young man she feels nothing for. She finds in the Romans a way to escape her fate. What do you think of it?

my yes and no

The Dark Raven

Works for me.  Mine I think is more the unwilling type but...she'll learn.

Desan

Quote from: daylily on April 26, 2009, 06:45:45 PM
Works for me.  Mine I think is more the unwilling type but...she'll learn.

I'm sure she will..using a couch and a....

>_>
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Anthea

*takes Daylily by the hand and dances with her around the room singing Got a sister, got a sister !!!* LOL
Ahemm...sorry !
So my girl's name is Brunhild. She the willing kind but not knowing exactly what she will be involved in following the Romans...

my yes and no

Desan

Quote from: Aiden on April 26, 2009, 01:31:12 PM
Alright people let's get some characters made and posted

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=35530.0

I posted it in the Non Adult section for now, the game threads will be placed in the Extreme Sections, so you guys can get as graphic as you wish.

Regarding the story.

The game will start as the Roman Legion marches north to the Summer Camp. Female players can either live in the surrounding villages on our path, or whatever you ladies wish to do. Keep in mind we might not have interaction till a bit later in the game. The battle lasted 3 days...so expect any survivors to trickle into villages as the barbarians mount their attacks.

Go here to make the character yeaa

Duchess

dont wait on me,not having a computer is killing me,will step in i get that solved

Aiden

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=35828.0

Game thread on

Ladies if you want to set up your own thread, such as "Surroundings villages- Germania" feel free to do so.

*I messed up and posted in the non adult section for now...if we get graphic we can ask a mod to move it.*

The Dark Raven

Aiden,

May want to consider how violent it may get in fighting too...not sure.

I can start a gals thread, but I need to see where I should put it. ;-)

Desan

Same thread for now? I don't see the gals going crazy and killing people anytime soon? o.O

The Dark Raven

Aiden

Once most of our players post their "opening"

I'll make a "GM" post of the setting of camp and the first night of hell to come upon the Roman legions.

But I don't want anyone to feel rushed to post or anything.

Federico

Hey,

as you have seen I've added a bit of movement. It's up to the next posters to decide the size of the band that is attacking us. Any other player can decide to be in sight and join this day skirmish.

As for German tactics, I quote from Tacitus:

"Swords they rarely use, or the larger spear. They carry javelins or, in their own language, framms, pointed with a piece of iron short and narrow, but so sharp and manageable, that with the same weapon they can fight at a distance or hand to hand, just as need requires. Nay, the horsemen also are content with a shield and a javelin. The foot throw likewise weapons missive, each particular is armed with many, and hurls them a mighty space, all naked or only wearing a light cassock.
In arraying their army, they divide the whole into distinct battalions formed sharp in front. To recoil in battle, provided you return again to the attack, passes with them rather for policy than fear."

Good guerrilla tactics :-)
On vacation until September - Ons and Offs | I am a baladeur
He started to dine at Denny's | From Friends

Aiden

Yea I am shifting the game into the evening/night time as the Romans huddle up to a make shift camp.

No fire or lights, just darkness.

Germanic warriors approach, covered in soot and mud to appear black, their approach would not be seen until their eyes stared directly in your face. Like Federico, said, these guys are using guerrilla tactics, hit and runs, using the darkness and forest to their advantage.

So posters feel free to describe your fellow Romans to die to surprise and sneak attacks throughout the night.

Desan

Ok I'm back xD

Should we establish posting order or nah?

Aiden

Nah no post order but I think everyone has been describing what is going on through their eyes.

All the men who will eventually come together are experiencing different attacks/ fears since they are spread out everywhere. So who is still around for the game

*I know our females probably won't come in till a few more posts and the complete eradication of the Roman legions*

ROLL CALL

The Dark Raven

Anthea

Good job guys, it's a great start !
Daylily, maybe we should begin to think of a way to introduce ourselves. We could exchange ideas. Feel free to contact me if you want to, I'd be happy to work on it with you.

my yes and no

Federico

For who is interested, I've kept searching and reading.

Standard bearers, feast your eyes:
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/romans/standardbearers.html

another scary thing we could put in the story is .. the wall:

QuotePerhaps the most important single discovery was evidence of a wall 4 feet high and 12 feet thick, built of sand and reinforced by chunks of sod. “Arminius learned much from his service with the Romans,” says Wilbers-Rost. “He knew their tactics and their weak points. The wall zigzagged so that the Germans on top of it could attack the Romans from two angles. They could stand on the wall, or rush out through gaps in it to attack the Roman flank, and then run back behind it for safety.” Concentrations of artifacts were found in front of the wall, suggesting that the Romans had tried to scale it. The dearth of objects behind it testifies to their failure to do so.

from http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/ambush.html?c=y&page=4

.. the part that says "..the dearth of objects.." gave me a shiver.
On vacation until September - Ons and Offs | I am a baladeur
He started to dine at Denny's | From Friends

Desan

legionar or kroduks turn if I believe.

Desan