What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephiral

Quote from: Mistyy on June 18, 2015, 07:56:42 PM
You can look up the Ferguson riots, the Michael Brown case, and the Freddie Gray case. Ultimately in all these cases before any proper investigation was even done, a rose tinted picture was already painted with the various social media platforms filled with people handing out "justice" When the sentence came out, well we all know what happened then because obviously the sentence was "wrong" and the justice system is corrupted
Unarmed victims are routinely described as "thugs", have unconnected possible wrongdoing made public to smear their names, and are depicted as drugged-up time bombs just looking to pick a fight with police. Meanwhile, a mass-murderer with a history of substantial drug usage who openly admits the racial motivation of his crime? I'll place an extremely large bet you'll never see him described in those terms. A guy with a 666 tattoo on his forehead who holds a goddamn church at gunpoint? Taken in peacefully. Zero points for guessing what decides which category you fall into.

Quote from: Mistyy on June 18, 2015, 07:56:42 PMWhat does that image even prove, someone telling that Dylann was "as quiet and soft-spoken" maybe he really was like that? These killers aren't usually the loud jock type in high school and outside of school, and yes Michael Brown was no angel indeed. The one who went on a shooting spree in Santa Barbara was also described as "quiet" but so what?
There's a substantial difference in media portrayal and police handling of unarmed black victims of violence as compared to violent white people, and it is exactly the opposite of what you claimed. That's what that image demonstrates.

gaggedLouise

Presumably if someone is suddenly mowing down unarmed people machine-gun style in a church - or children and teachers in a school: thinking of Sandy Hook here - the "quiet and soft-spoken" image wasn't the full picture.  >:(

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

LisztesFerenc

There's also the image comparing his arrest to that of  Eric Garne, the black guy who died in a choke hold. Their crimes? Mass murder vs. selling cigarettes.

Mistyy

Quote from: Ephiral on June 18, 2015, 08:03:31 PM
Unarmed victims are routinely described as "thugs", have unconnected possible wrongdoing made public to smear their names, and are depicted as drugged-up time bombs just looking to pick a fight with police. Meanwhile, a mass-murderer with a history of substantial drug usage who openly admits the racial motivation of his crime? I'll place an extremely large bet you'll never see him described in those terms. A guy with a 666 tattoo on his forehead who holds a goddamn church at gunpoint? Taken in peacefully. Zero points for guessing what decides which category you fall into.
There's a substantial difference in media portrayal and police handling of unarmed black victims of violence as compared to violent white people, and it is exactly the opposite of what you claimed. That's what that image demonstrates.

Well of course the media has to hush hush about the black violence because there is a high chance it will incite some form of riot as we have seen in the past many many times. Also being a cop in cities like Chicago and Detroit is extremely tough, and increasingly so in cities like Baltimore for example. In some areas at a wrong time it might as well be a death sentence. When you harsh the police enough they will stop working, and then we will truly witness what a society without the evil police man can be. Do you know why they never cut electricity from Soweto in South Africa, but do it regularly from many other areas?

I think the "quiet and soft-spoken" referred more to the personal traits of the killer outside of the shooting situation, but yes that's a problem with modern services like twitter where people base their view on a limited number of characters.

Having read this forum quite a lot I would say something like around 80% of the people here would most likely vote for democrat and hold very liberal views, this type of forum attracts liberally minded people so of course the general consensus here is vastly different than in a more conservative messaging board. Everyone has the right to opinion and you can't claim that you have any moral high ground to other kinds of people.

What comes to Eric Garner, is that he had a criminal record of dozens of arrests and other crimes. So saying that he was merely selling cigarettes is pretty lame. The officer in the case of Eric Garner was also released of charges, what?!? The court must be bribed or even worse it must be corrupted all the way. Come on now.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Mistyy on June 18, 2015, 08:25:50 PMWhat comes to Eric Garner, is that he had a criminal record of dozens of arrests and other crimes. So saying that he was merely selling cigarettes is pretty lame. The officer in the case of Eric Garner was also released of charges, what?!? The court must be bribed or even worse it must be corrupted all the way. Come on now.

Did the criminal record involve a hate crime that claimed 9 lives?

Blythe

Posting some news from the state I live in.

The weather here has been extraordinarily bad the past 1 1/2 months. To a point where there a portion of highway now indefinitely closed a section of the Interstate due to water and rock slides.

I hate to think of how badly Tropical Storm Bill must be affecting Texas.  :-\

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Mistyy on June 18, 2015, 08:25:50 PM

What comes to Eric Garner, is that he had a criminal record of dozens of arrests and other crimes. So saying that he was merely selling cigarettes is pretty lame. The officer in the case of Eric Garner was also released of charges, what?!? The court must be bribed or even worse it must be corrupted all the way. Come on now.

It's very hard in most countries to get any policemen's actions reviewed in court in  satisfying manner if the suspected outcome of those actions may have involved violent crimes (abuse, harsh beatings, killing, rape etc alleged to have been inflicted during working hours by one or more cops).  Parents, relatives and lawyers struggling for years to break through the brick wall of police corps loyalty, an unspoken "I'm not gonna say anything that could damage my fellow policeman" is more rule than exception. That's as true in Britain, France, Finland or Sweden as it is in India or Italy.

And IIRC the cop who forced Garner into a chokehold was acquitted because it could not be established that his sitting on the guy had been the sole cause, or the only decisive cause of his death. Garner was overweight, remember? Nor could it be made clear that he had to have known (deliberate intention) that if he forced Garner down that way, he would seriously risk the man's life. That's a bit like saying, if several armed men are threatening a single unarmed man in some hotel room, and saying "either you'll play Russian roulette with this gun, which has two bullets in it, or we beat you up severely, till you pay back your debt" and the man, in sheer desperation and fear, accepts the first alternative and shoots himself dead, then the thugs were not guilty of any intention to harm him or kill him, so it's ruled suicide or death by misadventure...

Ephiral

Quote from: Mistyy on June 18, 2015, 08:25:50 PM
Well of course the media has to hush hush about the black violence because there is a high chance it will incite some form of riot as we have seen in the past many many times. Also being a cop in cities like Chicago and Detroit is extremely tough, and increasingly so in cities like Baltimore for example. In some areas at a wrong time it might as well be a death sentence. When you harsh the police enough they will stop working, and then we will truly witness what a society without the evil police man can be. Do you know why they never cut electricity from Soweto in South Africa, but do it regularly from many other areas?
Bold part: Citation needed. The rest: Cops, frankly, chose to be cops. Unarmed black people didn't choose to be black, and are being shot in significant numbers for it, by the aforementioned cops. And really, asking them to give people of colour the same consideration they give to white folks is being so harsh on them that they will stop doing the job they were hired to do? Then fucking fire them.

Quote from: Mistyy on June 18, 2015, 08:25:50 PMI think the "quiet and soft-spoken" referred more to the personal traits of the killer outside of the shooting situation, but yes that's a problem with modern services like twitter where people base their view on a limited number of characters.
Isn't it funny, though, that white perpetrators of violence are so often described as "quiet", "soft-spoken", etc, while PoC who are victims of violence are described as drugged-up thugs? This has nothing to do with twitter, and don't pretend it does; the sources cited earlier are from major news outlets. Try again.

Quote from: Mistyy on June 18, 2015, 08:25:50 PMHaving read this forum quite a lot I would say something like around 80% of the people here would most likely vote for democrat and hold very liberal views, this type of forum attracts liberally minded people so of course the general consensus here is vastly different than in a more conservative messaging board. Everyone has the right to opinion and you can't claim that you have any moral high ground to other kinds of people.
I can and absolutely will claim the moral high ground over people who support racist mass-murderers over victims of violence and oppression. This isn't a "conservative vs liberal" issue, it's a "murderers vs victims" issue.

la dame en noir

Everyday I wake up, I am reminded that in my own country I can't do anything without being reminded that I was born black and that the world is afraid of me and will kill me before anything else.

Love it

:3
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Lustful Bride

Quote from: la dame en noir on June 18, 2015, 10:11:23 PM
Everyday I wake up, I am reminded that in my own country I can't do anything without being reminded that I was born black and that the world is afraid of me and will kill me before anything else.

Love it

:3

Makes me sad that the country I love is suffering like this. That this is such a problem its almost expected.

Caehlim

Quote from: la dame en noir on June 18, 2015, 10:11:23 PMEveryday I wake up, I am reminded that in my own country I can't do anything without being reminded that I was born black and that the world is afraid of me and will kill me before anything else.

I won't pretend to understand being part of a racial minority, but I can definitely relate to that sentiment of how much it hurts to see people like yourself receiving hatred or being killed for no reason you can understand.

It sucks. *offers my commiserations*
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

la dame en noir

Thanks guys. I'm just having a bit of a fit reading comments from other websites and people saying that black people are race baiting the crime on the people in church wasn't racist - even though the killer said himself that it was racially charged and even going as far as to make excuses as to why he was treated humanely during the arrest, but these so called "black thugs" were shot or choked to death.

sigh
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Lustful Bride

Quote from: la dame en noir on June 18, 2015, 10:40:26 PM
Thanks guys. I'm just having a bit of a fit reading comments from other websites and people saying that black people are race baiting the crime on the people in church wasn't racist - even though the killer said himself that it was racially charged and even going as far as to make excuses as to why he was treated humanely during the arrest, but these so called "black thugs" were shot or choked to death.

sigh

Always keep hope in your heart and mind. Not all of humanity is as idiotic as youtube/internet comments.....just 1/3rd of it @_@

Now enough bad feelings. Its time for hugs.

Mikem

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-turns-away-criminal-truancy-courts-students-142053292.html

I came close to being "criminally" truant back in Highschool, but that was because I hated my life at school on top of days where I was either not feeling physically fit to attend or just arriving to school past the bell. But being fined and even thrown in jail for missing school days is complete and utter bullshit. Oh I'm sorry I didn't know not going to school a few days in a row made you a hardened criminal.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

kylie

Nine wounded and one killed in shooting at a Detroit block party...  Few details as yet in the article.

Police shoot unarmed man with towel around his head for extending his arm toward them in LA...

"Just another day... in Paradise?"

gaggedLouise

A man in Norway gets hurt while firing swedes (AE rutabagas, Swede turnips) with a home-built, gas-powered cannon; he was sitting or standing by his turnip launcher when the machine made some kind of violent rebound and threw him over. Apparently the gas used to drive the piece with was some variety of natural gas - it would have been cooler if it was bio gas produced by hacked and heated potatoes, cabbages and other root veggies, but I guess that kind of engine remains to be explored.

Police who arrived at the scene said they had hear of potatoes being used as missiles from a similar "gun" before, but never Swedes.  ;) It is unknown whether the man was aiming to fire his goods across the border into Sweden. Norway and its neighbour have been at peace for two hundred years.

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 21, 2015, 01:34:36 AM
A man in Norway gets hurt while firing swedes (AE rutabagas, Swede turnips) with a home-built, gas-powered cannon; he was sitting or standing by his turnip launcher when the machine made some kind of violent rebound and threw him over. Apparently the gas used to drive the piece with was some variety of natural gas - it would have been cooler if it was bio gas produced by hacked and heated potatoes, cabbages and other root veggies, but I guess that kind of engine remains to be explored.

Police who arrived at the scene said they had hear of potatoes being used as missiles from a similar "gun" before, but never Swedes.  ;) It is unknown whether the man was aiming to fire his goods across the border into Sweden. Norway and its neighbour have been at peace for two hundred years.

He should come over to the States for a little Punkin' Chunkin'!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Apparently a commando of Taliban fighters have attacked the Afghan parliament in Kabul, going in through a new building (part of the complex) that was under construction. There was a lot of heavy fighting inside the Parliament proper; the incident is now over and all six intruders have been killed, according to government spokesmen and the BBC (who have a correspondent posted in the city) but it speaks volumes about the confidence of the Taliban - and the lax security around the building.  :-(

Dashenka

More Than Two Thirds of Americans Are Overweight or Obese.

http://time.com/3929990/americans-overweight-obese/

Simply shocking.

To put it in numbers:

Apparently there are 213 million people of 25 or older in the US.

67.6 million of the 213 are obese.

65.2 million of the 213 are overweight.

That leaves 81 million of the 213 that are normal (or under) weight.

Why isn't something serious being done about this? I know the US government is really busy meddling and interfering in every other country in the world but their own, but surely these kind of numbers call for some action in their own country. Surely right? Like.. education or campaigns or laws or rules or whatever. I think we all knew the problem excisted but I never thought it would be this bad.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Lustful Bride

Ive honestly stopped giving a shit about the weight problem. Person wants to be fat and suffer the health defects, that's their problem, not mine. I hate that its become such a stereotype for Americans. It pisses me off every time I see or hear about it.

And whats the government supposed to do about what people eat? Unless they assign a cop to watch every person and keep them from eating more than  certain amount.

Cycle

Quote from: Dashenka on June 23, 2015, 05:01:45 PM
Why isn't something serious being done about this? I know the US government is really busy meddling and interfering in every other country in the world but their own, but surely these kind of numbers call for some action in their own country. Surely right? Like.. education or campaigns or laws or rules or whatever. I think we all knew the problem excisted but I never thought it would be this bad.

Ah, but you see, this is really part of our brilliant plan to solve climate change.  Pretty soon, there will be enough mass concentrated in the United States that it'll cause the planet's axis to tilt.  And then, poof!  All will be good again.

Lustful Bride

9 year old dies trying to save mother from drowning..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hero-boy-9-dies-after-trying-to-save-doomed-mom-from-suv/ar-AAc0vKh?ocid=HPCDHP

This stuff just breaks my heart... I would rather die painfully than have my child die with me.  :'(

Dashenka

Quote from: Cycle on June 23, 2015, 05:26:46 PM
Ah, but you see, this is really part of our brilliant plan to solve climate change.  Pretty soon, there will be enough mass concentrated in the United States that it'll cause the planet's axis to tilt.  And then, poof!  All will be good again.

Aahh.... they didn't mention that in the article. Good plan. If the climate change was real that is :)

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 23, 2015, 05:54:37 PM
9 year old dies trying to save mother from drowning..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hero-boy-9-dies-after-trying-to-save-doomed-mom-from-suv/ar-AAc0vKh?ocid=HPCDHP

This stuff just breaks my heart... I would rather die painfully than have my child die with me.  :'(

It was the kid's own choice. I can understand you, but how would the kid feel the rest of his life knowing he might have saved his mom? This was a loss-loss situation for everybody from the start.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Cassandra LeMay

The US Supreme Court upheld the current provisions on federal tax credits of the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) in a 6-3 decision.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/25/politics/supreme-court-ruling-obamacare/index.html
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)