Houses of the Blooded [BDSM] [Fantasy-Tragedy] [Recruiting-Needs F characters]

Started by Montagne, February 10, 2012, 10:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teague

My pref is to play males, but I can probably come off my high horse and play a female for a change. More tonight!
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth.
H. P. Lovecraft

TheHangedOne

Hey, Teague, love the HPL quote.  :-)

Edit: Made some modifications to the back story, Red. Not quite sure I got it spot on, though; thoughts?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

MadPanda

Athos and I have come to a gentlemanly agreement between Barons, and my wife is his kid sister (poor girl).

Anyone needing a Bear or Fox somewhere in their family tree...I have one older sister and three as-yet-undefined younger siblings free to be married off!

A question for our GM, though: you do not seem to be using Blessings as per normal (and if I hadn't thought to back up and check, I would not have noticed the difference).  Is this an official house rule, or are you just trying to ease in the folks who are new to Houses?
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

I'm open to discussing my char being married to another player hehe :)
Den of DarkRose: Ideas & Completed Games
Apologies & Absences *Updated 10/4/16*

Friends help you move; Real friends help you move the body.
Carl: Shh....do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness!
Paul: That's the sound of people drowning Carl!
Carl: That...is what forgiveness sounds like! Screaming then silence!

MadPanda

That can be extraordinarily tricky in this game.  Even more so if you take a Romance with your Spouse as one of your Aspects.  Shocking!  Unconventional!  And very, perfectly, utterly worthy of the tragic dramas so beloved by the ven.   >:)  Enjoy it to the hilt.

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

That would be tricky, my char in her history is already madly in love but it would be interesting if we pair our chars together to see him try to charm the wily serpent that is my char ;)  >:)

MadPanda

Another child of the Ophidian Supremacy, eh?  How it warms the cockles of my heart to hear that!   :-)  (I'd normally play a Serpent, given my druthers, but the dice for Ato came up Fox and Bear.)

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

Hehe :) Both also good houses *nods* Does your char have children though? Mine is married with no children but if we figured out a good story I'm sure Red would let us change things.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

Montagne

Quote from: Teague on February 14, 2012, 09:49:44 AM
My pref is to play males, but I can probably come off my high horse and play a female for a change. More tonight!

By all means if you think you would prefer playing a male make one, just letting you know there are more female places available so there would be less competition to get in ;D but assuming you make a good character you can make either and still be welcome.

Quote from: MadPanda
A question for our GM, though: you do not seem to be using Blessings as per normal (and if I hadn't thought to back up and check, I would not have noticed the difference).  Is this an official house rule, or are you just trying to ease in the folks who are new to Houses?

Exactly. As we are the only two with the HOTB book it would be too difficult to explain the lengthy and complex devotions system. I will also be symplifying combat, rules to be posted at some point soon. Its too make it easier on new players, and also to make it more rules light and as such better suited to a forum game ;D. Nothing official there. I also like it because it let's players add a little variety to their sauven. Making it closer to ancestor worship or saint worship than 7 set "gods" (although they aren't truely). Just a personal preference.

MadPanda

Quote from: Red Doctor on February 14, 2012, 04:45:42 PM
Exactly. As we are the only two with the HOTB book it would be too difficult to explain the lengthy and complex devotions system. I will also be symplifying combat, rules to be posted at some point soon. Its too make it easier on new players, and also to make it more rules light and as such better suited to a forum game ;D. Nothing official there. I also like it because it let's players add a little variety to their sauven. Making it closer to ancestor worship or saint worship than 7 set "gods" (although they aren't truely). Just a personal preference.

Nuts.  I like the Blessings I chose...   :P

In Memory of Bishrook

Teague

I've been reading. Between a busy night, and some ADD, I haven't gotten as far as I'd like.

Hangedman: Oh yeah! I love me some H.P. L.

I have a question. The Veth are separated from the Ven in caste, but can a Veth advance? I was a little confused by the language of how one becomes a Knight. It probably won't come up in the direction I'm thinking, but I was curious.

Basic characterwise I was thinking a widow, probably of the black persuasion.
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth.
H. P. Lovecraft

Montagne

Quote from: Teague on February 15, 2012, 05:18:59 AM
I've been reading. Between a busy night, and some ADD, I haven't gotten as far as I'd like.

Hangedman: Oh yeah! I love me some H.P. L.

I have a question. The Veth are separated from the Ven in caste, but can a Veth advance? I was a little confused by the language of how one becomes a Knight. It probably won't come up in the direction I'm thinking, but I was curious.

Basic characterwise I was thinking a widow, probably of the black persuasion.

I do love black widows. On your question, the answer is technically yes, but not very far. There are three levels if you like. The Veth, landless nobles (Roadmen), and blooded nobles. When a blooded nobles son/daughter becomes of age, they are given the place of a knight and must go and prove themselves, working for whatever noble will take them. In most cases they will work directly for their parents, but not always. As they make a name for themselves other knights will join their cause and they can claim a land as their own. If this claim is recognised by another Baron they are blooded and become Barons themselves. They are then presented to the senate, etc, etc. There are a lot of nobles out there who have grown lazy and incompetent and these Ven find themselves ousted by younger Ven. It is then in a neighbouring Barons best interest to be the ones who blood them so they have a strong alliance. It is also the case that first children will inherit their parents land (sex is irrelevant). However they can expect to be tested by upstarts and knocked out of the power if they can't secure it. Remember nothing is fixed in Ven politics, and nearly every Ven who holds a seat of power fought tooth and nail to either take it or keep it.

Onto the Veth, should they show a great feat of valor they are commonly rewarded with a horse, gold, weapon and title and made into one of the Barons roadmen. This keeps the Veth happy as they feel valued by their Ven master...what a lie. It is important to note the majority of knights are young Ven not Veth. This presents the Veth knights with problems. Firstly, they are still stigmatized, it will be dificult to get the Ven to follow them as they are seen as still lesser. Secondly if they did manage to take the land, they would have to be blooded, and most Barons would refuse them, so they will quickly have the land taken by someone more powerful. The Ven know what is good for them, and Barons not linked to any Houses, aswell as Veth trying to take their childrens lands is not. It would also increase the number of uprisings if Veth could be blooded. As such this keeps the Veth who are knights advancing any further. Most are happy just not to be mud farmers anymore. So have the Veth ever been blooded...well yes... but you probably would never meet one.

I would also want my players to play up the "Veth are dirt" aspect of the setting. With the exception of one or two most Ven look down terribly on the Veth, and this can make for some interesting RP moments.

MadPanda

Of course, "inherit" is a funny concept.  There's also "seized Dad's lands when he fell into Solace", "seized Mom's lands before she fell into Solace", "invaded the neighbor", "married the neighbor's kid as the dominant partner" and the ever-popular "grabbed a chunk of real estate and started calling myself Baron".   :-)  However, since we all share a liege, none of us get to be Bold nobles, so that last path to power is out.

By any chance, RD, do you have a copy of Coronets But Never Crowns?

In Memory of Bishrook

DarkRose15

Montagne

Quote from: MadPanda on February 15, 2012, 01:51:26 PM
Of course, "inherit" is a funny concept.  There's also "seized Dad's lands when he fell into Solace", "seized Mom's lands before she fell into Solace", "invaded the neighbor", "married the neighbor's kid as the dominant partner" and the ever-popular "grabbed a chunk of real estate and started calling myself Baron".   :-)  However, since we all share a liege, none of us get to be Bold nobles, so that last path to power is out.

By any chance, RD, do you have a copy of Coronets But Never Crowns?

'Fraid not, I only have the main rulebook. And theres nothing stopping anyone taking one of those paths, in fact i wanna see some ruthless Ven. I'm thinking of playing your count as a play every side of the battle till the last minute kind of guy, not exactly principled. So if your mommy is a baron and u take her lands, he would probably be rushing down with a congratulatory hand shake, gift basket and allegiance swearing ceremony. There is nothing to say you are required to play nobles who inherited their lands. I'm also thinking of setting this in a sort of crazy archipelago landscape, completely broken by the sorcerer king and mad emperors magic, so there may be unexplored areas to colonise, depends how brutal i want to make the game, if I'm in the brutal mood you'll all be killing to expand your lands lol.

Anything useful in the extra books MP John Wick is usually pretty reasonable with his Pdfs so i might pick it up.

MadPanda

I heartily and resoundingly suggest Coronets.  It's a bit thin, but the chapter on Family alone is worth the trouble.

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

Just as a quick note MP. I know the usual case is to do the three point description of NPC's and I will be doing that for everyone that is met once the IC begins. If you want to do a full description of your wife/sister/brother/long lost auntie, then that's also fine, as it gives me a little more to work with when starting the plot ;D Or if you prefer to keep it as that, then thats fine too.

Montagne

Just to let everyone know, as I was up north for Valentines day I promised the lover all of Thursday together so there wont be any updates/question answering for a day, but I hopefully I've got enough lore up or people to be pretty much sorted in terms of their characters, the odd bit still to go. Catch you all Friday!

MadPanda

Quote from: Red Doctor on February 15, 2012, 03:56:32 PM
Just as a quick note MP. I know the usual case is to do the three point description of NPC's and I will be doing that for everyone that is met once the IC begins. If you want to do a full description of your wife/sister/brother/long lost auntie, then that's also fine...

Just doing my homework ahead of time, honest!  My poor Spouse 3 probably ought not be appearing onstage until she gets NPCified and gets an agenda all her own, but I wanted to set the Three Things up now.  The rest of the family tree will remain vague until needed (like my three younger siblings, who have no set gender, or my elder sister, who has no House as of yet) unless I get bored enough to see how many aunts and uncles and cousins I have.

Quote from: Red Doctor on February 15, 2012, 03:56:32 PMas it gives me a little more to work with when starting the plot ;D Or if you prefer to keep it as that, then thats fine too.

Remember: make contingencies, not plans!  You never know when some clever player is going to nuke your plans by a well-conceived Cunning risk.

Which reminds me: friendly game?   :D

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

Quote from: MadPanda on February 15, 2012, 05:40:50 PM
Just doing my homework ahead of time, honest!  My poor Spouse 3 probably ought not be appearing onstage until she gets NPCified and gets an agenda all her own, but I wanted to set the Three Things up now.  The rest of the family tree will remain vague until needed (like my three younger siblings, who have no set gender, or my elder sister, who has no House as of yet) unless I get bored enough to see how many aunts and uncles and cousins I have.

Lol that's fine, if you want her to be a bit more of a blank slate then that's good, whilst I already have a head swimming full of ideas with DarkRose's and Hanged's NPC's

Quote from: MadPanda on February 15, 2012, 05:40:50 PM
Remember: make contingencies, not plans!  You never know when some clever player is going to nuke your plans by a well-conceived Cunning risk.

Which reminds me: friendly game?   :D

Oh definitely, I do love the amount of player generation all the NPC's have, and I think the fact that it isn't in person is good, as it gives me some chances to come up with some fun replies. In terms of how friendly it is... Up to the players really. Preferably don't jump to killing each other just yet lol. But nothing wrong with throwing in some cunning rolls to add some friction between an NPC and another player, or even better yourself. Try not to make a regular thing of totally screwing people, but we don't need to play as care-bears either.

Montagne

For all those who want to play as sorcerers and academic style characters the spell list will be going up friday, aswell as the last last of the rules for combat and a few other bits. So anyone interested in that field for their characters thanks for being so patient, I'll get it up ASAP. See you all friday!

MadPanda

I should rephrase the question.

Friendly game?  Or Cut-throat game?  As per the distinction discussed on pages 339-341 under the heading of The Colville Rule in the Player chapter.

In Memory of Bishrook

Montagne

We're going to use friendly rules, just because no one except us currently knows the game system. This means that dice rolls can be taken back if you misunderstood something. It also means plotting is done in the open in OOC. However, because plotting is done in the op em does not mean that you take extra measures to protect yourself. If they poison your goblet don't spend all evening avoiding it. Do what is best for the story. I will make it clear here, the theme is tragedy, which means someones character is going to die at some point. Heavy stuff. The good thing is; Vendettas last a dozen generations, and there will be someone coming for your murderers as well. Once you die, you can take over a NPC who takes your fancy, or make another character