[Interest Check] Bleach d20

Started by Jeramiahh, January 16, 2008, 05:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryvaken

In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Excellent, that makes two mostly-finished characters, just waiting on a third and I'll post the game.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Hunter

Mine's in final stages of approval.  Gots to do one more thing.  ^_^

Ryvaken

What kind of equipment are we looking at starting with? I'd like to work some armor into my Quincy's outfit; nothing much, just some padded or masterwork leather equivalent.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Armor is unnecessary, except as flavor; the defense bonus from the class is a dodge bonus, lost when wearing armor. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm

Basically, it's to reflect the swashbuckler-esque nature of the Bleach characters, on top of the fact that their reiatsu protects them as well as armor. However, some characters DO gain armor when they utilize special abilities; see the sword-and-fan Bounto girl, from the filler arc. For them, it'll provide minor +AC boosts, for the duration of the ability.

Of course, if you want to wear armor for aesthetics sake, be my guest; it will, generally, be less valuable than your class bonus, and will be solely for flavor. If you want armor from a special ability, then we can make a new class feature, to replace an old, that provides armor when you do something.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Ryvaken

...crap. Hey, does the class defense bonus work when flatfooted? The rule you link to does NOT call it a dodge bonus, so I'm thinking yes.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

True; it's a "Defense Bonus", which is a completely different type. The website doesn't say either way, so I'll go to the source it came from in the first place.

Which says the same thing, word for word. Okay... well, since it says, essentially, that the bonus works in all ways as an armor bonus, except it also applies to touch attacks, I will rule that it functions like Bracers of Armor, for the purpose of being flatfooted; it still applies.

Antone

is the limit of people your looking for 3? or are more capable of playing? *doesn't want to make up a char if your only looking for 3 people*
Ons and Offs
RPs Desired

Caution when handling: Reacts violently when exposed to stupidity...

Jeramiahh

No, I'm looking for a third character before I put up the game and get the threads in place; I'll take as many as I feel I can handle... and I've run games with 7 players.

On that note, I have my third character sheet submitted, so I'm off to make some posts.

OOC and Character threads are up, and initial characters are posted. Still welcoming more, if you're interested, too! Don't run away, yet!

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=12659.0
Characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=12657.0

Jeramiahh

Hehehe... I can understand the pain of that; there's a reason I always play healer in any RPG... and it's not because I think it's the best job ever (which it is), but because no one else ever wants to play it.

Just take some time to work on it; I plan to start the thread and give the players time to fool around in Soul Society/on Earth, before they meet, or any action begins, since it seems there's a lot of people still working on characters.

EDIT: As a side note, for the "low level" game, I've decided to discard the clunky system, entirely. It's just not appropriate, at first level. The game will be freeform, with the same theme/starting point.

Serenity Vixen

Sorry, I am going to drop out
I am just having to much trouble health wise at the moment to wrap my mind around a new game system. Maybe I can join it in the future if you will have me when I feel better :)
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Jeramiahh

Awww, sorry to hear it, SV... I'm sure we could find a way to get you in, later, if you're still interested.

I regularly have games without healers... in fact, you don't even need one. The Healing belt, from the Magic Item Compendium, is amazing... up to 6d8 healing/day, usable on your self, or on a target, for a mere 750gp, and your regularly unused belt slot. Wands of (lesser) Vigour (Spell Compendium) are excellent, as well; 10+CL rounds of fast healing 1 or 2, making it better than a maximized CLW or CMW. And any divine caster, or bard, can use wands of CLW easily.[/D&D nerd]

Ryvaken

We have extremely different interpretations of the value of Vigor spells and an open belt slot.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Maybe you value the belt slot... but you can't argue that, for *out-of-combat* healing, Vigor is far superior. Lesser will always heal for 11 points, where the equivalent wand of CLW will do 2-9... and it only gets better as you progress. I find it difficult to fill the belt slot, in most cases, unless playing a melee for the Belt of Str, but your mileage may vary.

Ryvaken

Many Pockets or Hidden Pockets. If for some incomprehensible reason I'm not playing an arcanist with a familiar or a thief, I'm probably a healer or some type of character like Monk that needs high stats everywhere, so yeah bring on the strength.

And yeah, Vigor is great for after party healing, but that's all it's great for. I don't like shelling out good coin for something that is both temporary and nonversatile.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Oh, right, storage space. Some DMs are nazis about that... since my group usually ends up with the guy with >25 STR, often at less than 4, I don't worry about space. "Ok, wait, he can carry half a ton, and still be on a light load? Fine. Whatever."

That, and I prefer to worry about stuff that actually affects things, not "How many bottles of ink did you say you packed?" Shopping takes long enough, anyway.

Ryvaken

Many Pockets also eliminates the AoO to retrieve items and allows the Familiar a safe place to hide while leaving the caster at full bonuses from his companion.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Pfft, familiar. A liability, if there ever was one. Haven't wizards learned anything from Sauron? Don't invest your power into something small and fragile and easily stolen/killed. =P

I much prefer alternate class features to gain something useful. My transmuter wizard took Sudden Shift, 3 rd/day of flight, swimming, or climbing at my move speed. Already saved my ass more than a few times.

Ryvaken

*glances at a game Muse is running* Riiiiight. Tell that to my Raven, that just stopped us from hitting an ambush. A big one. I'll take that over a few minor abilities that are easily accomplished by 3rd or lower spells.
In creativity, meaning.

Hunter

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

Cjac

Quote from: Hunter on January 25, 2008, 03:21:25 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

*whacks Hunter*  Stop that!
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Hunter