Movies/Games that Sucked, and Didn't Have To

Started by Sabby, August 24, 2011, 07:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 07:24:10 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm worried. I think they might have rushed this first season. I understand that they wanted to keep people engaged by reveals and all that. However, usually the boarding of the spacecraft for peace negotiations or whatnot is usually an ending stroke. I wonder if they did that for fear of not being renewed.

Also, I kind of noticed that Falling Skies borrows a touch or two out of the Mass Effect playbook. Still, it's nothing horribly overt and it's been tailored.

That wouldn't surprise me. So many shows these days get prematurely canceled. So if, by some chance, they weren't picked back up, at least they had some kind of ending. It did feel a bit rushed. I would have just fine if they ended it with the failure of the 'blow up' operation and had to retreat.

End of Season Spoilers
Pretty much, the resistance is gone. All the soldiers were in that group are dead and the only ones to survive was their drugged out captain, an ex-con, and a history professor...and maybe a small handful left at the school.

Still, that better be one hell of a first episode for the next season. I don't play Mass Effect, so I can't really compare to that. Even though the ending felt rushed, it was very well done for an 'alien invasion' story. The aliens are complex, the characters interesting, and it wasn't horribly unrealistic (on the human end, what with how the humans band together and split apart based on social classes and military knowledge).
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Inkidu

It's just kind of hard to see where they go from there. Though there's one thing I would like to know about the Skitters. I just hope they didn't write themselves into a corner. Speaking of cancellations though. I bet I'll just get into Fox's new show Terra Nova before they decide to cancel it. Fox is evil that way.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Have they just been taking human kids for this long or are their other races' kids in there too?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

krakenknight

In light of its recent revival what about Deus ex invisible war and Thief deadly shadows. Both had excellent stories but in an attempt to market on multiple platforms ended up destroying the gameplay of both by oversimplifying it too much. Thief 3 even had linear levels when the first 2 were open range.

Inkidu

Actually, I don't think Invisible War was trying to over-simplify it. You could have had open paths and stats on the Xbox and PS2 easy. I think what they were trying to do was get away from stats and they just didn't have the tech to generate all the possibilities like Human Revolution can.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on August 27, 2011, 09:20:35 AM
It's just kind of hard to see where they go from there. Though there's one thing I would like to know about the Skitters. I just hope they didn't write themselves into a corner. Speaking of cancellations though. I bet I'll just get into Fox's new show Terra Nova before they decide to cancel it. Fox is evil that way.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Have they just been taking human kids for this long or are their other races' kids in there too?

Yeah, I see it being canceled too, even though it looks interesting.

As for the Skitters...seeing as how the humans only saw the Skitters invading Earth, I think it's safe to assume to those humanoid creatures have done this to more than one planet. And it's also likely that they've never met with a race that's willing to resist them either (or had the means to resist).
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

krakenknight

Quote from: Inkidu on August 27, 2011, 08:52:12 PM
Actually, I don't think Invisible War was trying to over-simplify it. You could have had open paths and stats on the Xbox and PS2 easy. I think what they were trying to do was get away from stats and they just didn't have the tech to generate all the possibilities like Human Revolution can.

That might explain the skills system getting dumped but what about the inventory screen. The RE4 Attache case model is really immersive and the first game used it well but invisible war's system gave you a tiny number of slots and no way to optimise them. I loved IW's story it may be better than the first's but the gameplay got simplified for no adequate reason. My biggest complaint was how hacking was a black market aug you didn't pick up until the mid game, I mean hacking is the lifebread of stealth guys like me.

Sabby

Not to mention the game engine was atrocious. Great character models and shadows, but the physics, frame rate and controls were all very clunky. Same engine was used for Thief 3. I'm glad they dropped it after that.

krakenknight

Quote from: Sabby on August 28, 2011, 08:46:03 AM
Not to mention the game engine was atrocious. Great character models and shadows, but the physics, frame rate and controls were all very clunky. Same engine was used for Thief 3. I'm glad they dropped it after that.

Agreed, it didn't suit the games that it was used in. I'm sure that it was fine but then Valve released Source and these were the games left holding the old graphics bag. I just have to wonder why they messed it up so badly. Especially in thief where using the physics is part of the fun. I mean the first full T3 level is a really good one but its the only non linear one in the group. I really hope that they take a few physics cues from this new Deus Ex for thi4f. and maybe give us a map that's useful as opposed to, Ye olde piece of crappe

Slaven

Any game designed by the digimon franchise. Good shows, horrid games.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

krakenknight

Quote from: Slaven on August 28, 2011, 10:35:32 AM
Any game designed by the digimon franchise. Good shows, horrid games.

I liked Digimon world DS and the sequel. I mean yeah there were weird moments but they were hardly bad.