Looking for a GM for Pathfinder.

Started by Blinkin, July 25, 2013, 03:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelsmiter

Quote from: Countdown0 on July 26, 2013, 09:52:10 PM
Not offensive. I just personally think that free armor and a bonus against fear is much stronger than a bonus against traps, so the Barbarian would have to give up something more, especially since the effectiveness and challenge of traps against player characters falls off greatly not long after level 7, when the Savage Barbarian would also gain natural AC.
I'd be willing to negotiate some specific martial weapons with you if you really have your heart set on the Savage Barbarian with...
Well, see if you'd have opened with that I'd still be inclined to disagree about this net gain business especially since fear can't kill you (except through Phantasmal Killer (I think that's what they called it in PF, I usually don't play casters) and similar, which can also function as traps as far as I know), but I'd accept it. The weapon in question is a glaive. That's pretty much all I want. Inspired by the fact that the glaive pictured in CRB looked awfully toothy ;D. The character calls it a spear because that's what her tribe has always called it. Heck, maybe the members of her tribe that are not ancestrally gifted so to speak can't use the glaive.

QuoteI'm not going to just give a class a net gain in overall power, especially when Barbarians are already so powerful in Pathfinder with their rage powers, as well as their ability to absorb copious amounts of damage and smash just about anything that get's within 5 feet.
Alright I'll grant you that barbarians with particular rage powers are quite FTW/WTF, but honestly fear/traps... I don't see an applicable difference in power level though again as I said above I'll get over it.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Countdown0

You could definitely go with a Glaive being a traditional weapon in her tribe, and therefore her being proficient with it if you'd like that.

Also, its not just the fear to trap trade, but also the bonus armor that comes with the resistance against fear.

Anyway, I'd be happy to have you if you still want to play, and I don't have a problem with you having weapon proficient with glaives by default.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Ixy

So, based on this setting, I'm leaning toward either a half-elf monk or a sorceress, based on the character background I have in mind.  Have you any specific guidelines for character creation: I believe you mentioned core races and classes, which sounds good to me.  Should we follow a point-but system?  I'm planning on using just the Core Rulebook section of the PRD: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Thanks again for your time on this game

Countdown0

We will be following a point buy system.

For this game, I'm gonna go with a 28 point buy for your abilities, before bonus points from leveling and from race. Starting with Pathfinder standard (everything starts at 10, which is free and costs 0 points).

Here is a point buy calculator: http://tools.digitalightbulb.com/pbcalc.html

Since scores below 10 actually add more points for you to buy other scores with, I'm okay with you reducing your score below 7, and I'll just do special math for that. Bear in mind that a score below 7 is a big weakness, but it will allow you to have a lot of strength in other places. Each step below 7 will add another -1.

It will look like this:

6 = -5
5 = -6
4 = -7
3 = -8

You could have, through this, three 18's as your scores. However, you would also have two 3's and a 4, so you would dominate in some things and struggle in others.

Also, I'd like everyone to start their characters at level 8.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

steelsmiter

Oh you posted before I could reply. I like to play from the ground up. Sorry.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Countdown0

Ah, you like level 1 starts?

Sorry about that. Blinkin wanted this to be between 5 and 8. I'd prefer every start their characters at level 8. You could do level 5 if you like, but really, anything lower than that and either the encounters will be overwhelming for your character or too easy for the people who are level 8.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

steelsmiter

Yeah I'm not that worried about it. I'll just skip this one. It's my own fault anyway for not seeing all that level 5-8 business. Moreover I'm really sorry for wasting everyones time by being a system deciding factor then not really playing. I feel a bit like a douche in that regard but as they say... back to the drawing board...
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Ixy

I have a Zen Archer about 3/4 done... I'll need to add up scores/bonuses and some wealth options (preferably some bracers, cloak of protection, and a bow).  Again, the background idea is pretty much set... I'll write it down when I'm more awake.  It'd be great to have additional character ties... maybe someone wants to partner up, RP some backstory?

Thanks for your time... http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=618704

Blinkin

I'm always willing to talk about backstories. I can't use Mythweavers, but I could probably read the thing.

So, it's looking like me, Muse and Ixy. Room for a couple of more, depending on our illustrious GM's approval.

I have a ranger about 2/3rds done, just have to adjust the atts and what's connected to them and he/she is ready to go.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

So we have a Zen Archer and a ranger? 

I asked Pretty In Pink to play a cleric so I can play sorcerer/dragon discpiple, if that's okay? 

Let's see, core book only.  That means no traits and no alternative class features.  * nods*  I can handle that.  Warn me if I grab something off of the SRD that doesn't belong in the core book. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pretty in Pink

Hey, Blinkin.  You just can't seem to get away from me.  :P

And Muse, with all the books you have, you don't have the PF Core Book?

And I'm probably going to go with Sarenrae for my Deity, and go Healing primary.
[FLOATLEFT][/FLOATLEFT]O.O ~{=}~ Ideas ~{=}~ A&A[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]

I've taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RP

Muse

*Snickers*  Well, my hard copy is on loan somewhere.  I'm sure I have a digital, but the SRD is just so much easier to navigate! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Yeah, between you and Mr. Ah-Muse-ing, I can't seem to do anything without one of you appearing. *Sighs Dramatically* The fan club one gets. lol

No traits?? Awe man... I spent 30 minutes for nothing! Oh well... Can I at least have the durable arrows so I don't have to constantly stop off and make them every other day?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Teo Torriatte

I think I fall under that as well to some point... but if you don't mind another 'usual suspect', then I would love to get in on this!

Teo Torriatte

Sorry for double posting, but it comes to my attention that we could use a rogue... so if I am accepted, I would love to play one.

Blinkin

I'm ok with it Luna, and howdy again. But, it's up to our GM in the end.

I was a little surprised that there wasn't a rogue offered before now.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

It seems that we're also short on actual front line types... a monk archer, a ranger, a cleric, sorcerer and rogue... Our only hope is ambush and pray. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Here is Harmony Lexiphon reborn, a gold dragon dragon disciple, pyromancer, and all around idealistic sorceress.  :) 

It's just mechanics so far, I need to wait 'til PiP wakes up to finish her back story.  But I think the mechanics are ready for approval. 

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=618834

Ixy

Quote from: Blinkin on July 27, 2013, 08:57:40 AM
It seems that we're also short on actual front line types... a monk archer, a ranger, a cleric, sorcerer and rogue... Our only hope is ambush and pray. lol

Personally, I VASTLY prefer a small party over one that fills every role.  I thought we had a barbarian, though?  I have other ideas as well, and if we're strongly concerned about balance, I'd have no problem with a couple other ideas... a barbarian or a fighter, even.

Blinkin

We had someone interested in a barbarian, yes, but he dropped out because we weren't starting at 1st level.

I was just commenting, no group that I've been in has been blessed with real front line types, usually they are all magic users. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Countdown0

Luna, I'd be fine with you making a rogue character.

Basically, it seems right now we have interest in 5 different player characters. If you want to get a front line type of person, I'd be okay with a group of 6. Anymore than that though, and things just start to get convoluted and most encounters would have to be above the party level in order to actually provide a challenge.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Pretty in Pink

I tend to build clerics a bit more front liney than most, so we have SOME front line.

Blinkin

The Ranger is as much front line as not, I just planned him/her (Undecided yet) around the bow. Although, he/she'll have a sword as backup, so there is that option as well.

Question... Is the progression slow, medium or fast? The amount of GP for equipment varies a bit... from 6K to 33K... although I would actually have a hard time spending 33K of gold. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Pretty in Pink

>_>  I could spend that easily... were I playing the rogue.  :P  But I'm not.

But that is a very good question.  I believe Muse said something about 33k in a group convo I was in with him last night?

Countdown0

Blinkin, I think we'll go with medium progression for this game.

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's