News:

Main Menu

Falcon launched!

Started by Teo Torriatte, May 22, 2012, 02:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Torriatte

The first private spacecraft bound for the International Space Station has successfully launched. I hope this means we can get some kind of space program going again, even if it is run by private corporations and not primarily by NASA.

Oniya

I just caught that on the news!  I remember when they used to televise space launches live - I think they should go back to doing that.  It was always so inspiring.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Quote from: Oniya on May 22, 2012, 07:38:23 AM
I just caught that on the news!  I remember when they used to televise space launches live - I think they should go back to doing that.  It was always so inspiring.

That doesn't happen any more. Now, we devote an entire week of TV to royal weddings.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on May 22, 2012, 05:57:03 PM
That doesn't happen any more. Now, we devote an entire week of TV to royal weddings.

People still watch television? 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Oniya

*rolls eyes at the cynics*

I'd settle for livestreaming.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sabby on May 22, 2012, 05:57:03 PM

Or baptisms of princesses of the blood around here (on live tv yesterday). But I agree rocket take-offs make exciting tv, and it's good that more agents are moving into the business. I hope NASA and ESA will be back in a first-plane role in time though.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oniya on May 22, 2012, 06:30:08 PM
*rolls eyes at the cynics*

I'd settle for livestreaming.

I haven't watched tv in three years, I either download what I wanna watch or bare through netflix.  I haven't seen a news broadcast in forever either.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Oniya

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 23, 2012, 11:02:33 AM
I haven't watched tv in three years, I either download what I wanna watch or bare through netflix.  I haven't seen a news broadcast in forever either.

Okay...  I haven't eaten shrimp in five years.  That doesn't make me question whether people still eat shrimp.   ???

JackWhite

Quote from: Oniya on May 23, 2012, 11:08:16 AM
Okay...  I haven't eaten shrimp in five years.  That doesn't make me question whether people still eat shrimp.   ???

They still do, if you were wondering.

Sabby

Quote from: JackWhite on May 23, 2012, 06:02:23 PM
They still do, if you were wondering.

Silly blasphemers xD

gaggedLouise

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 22, 2012, 06:01:19 PM
People still watch television?

There's likely to be many more people watching live the day a Chinaman walks on the moon than there were when Armstrong stepped on pay dirt. How long into the future? Fifteen years, perhaps.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Exelion

Back on topic (SHOCK) a moment..

1) Wasn't it the Dragon that was launched?

2) I am SO happy to see this. As much as I hate private industry turning everything into a huge moneygrubbing mess, letting the space industry be 100% controlled by the government/military is just asking it to falter. The ONLY hope we as a society have for a healthy attempt at space exploration and colonization is to privatize. This is a momentous occasion just on that merit alone.

Oniya

Caitlin

I hope to have enough money some day to get into outer space myself. When I was young I dreamt of becoming an astronaut, but as I became older (10 years) I settled on becoming an accountant instead, realising that'd be more practical. Still, I'd love to get into space! (Probably no surprise, but I'm also a huge scifi fan and love space related tv shows.)