Interest Check - Star Trek - The Original Series or prior?

Started by Devil's Advocate, February 14, 2013, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil's Advocate

Well, I have noticed a distinct lack of Trek games on E and I was wondering if there's just a lack of interest or whether folks would be interested in playing in one.  I haven't run one of these games in many years and I've gotten the recent hankering to do one of these games again.  I have a couple of concepts: One, which would require a rather dedicated non-dropping crew as it would be based off the USS Horizon, which "was lost with all hands," as dictated in the Original Series episode "A Piece of the Action." 

The other concept would be a bit of intrigue/exploration game on a Constitution class starship in the time of Kirk's Enterprise, slightly before, or slightly after.  We would not run into the Enterprise but mention would likely be made and timelines coincide with other events in the Star Trek universe.

I could always go with Next Gen or the alternate universe Star Trek as well but the first two were the ones that really struck me at the moment.

Thoughts?  Interest?  Anyone?  Beuller?
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Muse

Ooh, intresting. 

What pace do you want for this game?  I'd hate to join and then slow you down. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Devil's Advocate

I guess it would depend on the game that I ended up running and the dynamics of the players, etc.  I usually like a game to move at a moderate speed, a couple meaningful posts a week but I'm not high pressure.  I only start wondering when people disappear without notice on me for more than a week at a time.  Real life has to come first and things happen but a nice check in on an OOC list saying, "Hey, I'm not dead" or via PM is nice.  :)  I think it is all about respecting everyone.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

As long as enough races are included to be interesting likely Enterprise TV series and the orginal series should offer enough options.

Devil's Advocate

OH NO!  No Enterprise!  We (this is the royal "we" of me, myself and I) do not do that.  I don't consider it canon.  Sorry too many inconsistencies for my taste.    Serious pet peeve.  I only believe in TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9.  (DS9, a great concept that really wasn't good TV.)

Now if you were referring to Enterprise as the Original Star Trek, that's just fine.  And yes, there are plenty of race options available there.  For the Horizon concept, races would be much more limited as the Federation was much smaller at that time and much more limited.
O/o's

A/a's

Muse

*Chuckles* 

A lot of my ideas involve Andorians. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Devil's Advocate

Muse, you are a person after my own heart!  I love Andorians.  Before ENT, there was no real canon on Andorians, so I took what was out there from Fandom and created Andorians in a certain way that does not match ENT's version.  However, I'd work with whatever on them.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Muse

Hm... 

I confess I draw a lot from GURPS Prime Directive and the Star Trek CODA game. 

Devil's Advocate

That's fine.  I don't run by system.  I'm a freeform guy.  It gives more freedom to everyone, I find.
O/o's

A/a's

Hephaestus

I would be very interested but I admit that I am not much of a freeform player. Having a system keeps everyone from being highly decorated officers who are prime athletes with high security clearance and doctorates in Applied warp theory. One of my favorite ideas that never went anywhere was a sanitation engineer.
Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
~Peter Drucker~

RubySlippers

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 14, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
OH NO!  No Enterprise!  We (this is the royal "we" of me, myself and I) do not do that.  I don't consider it canon.  Sorry too many inconsistencies for my taste.    Serious pet peeve.  I only believe in TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9.  (DS9, a great concept that really wasn't good TV.)

Now if you were referring to Enterprise as the Original Star Trek, that's just fine.  And yes, there are plenty of race options available there.  For the Horizon concept, races would be much more limited as the Federation was much smaller at that time and much more limited.

DS9 was awesome where else could evil Kira want to get it on with good Kira!  ;D

Devil's Advocate

Well, hopefully we'll drum up some more interest and we can decide genre, ship positions, etc.
O/o's

A/a's

Hephaestus

Well we have RubySlippers, Muse, Myself and your NPC's so far as cast. How many player characters were you hoping we would have?
Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
~Peter Drucker~

RubySlippers

I would like to play a race likely a member of the Federation at the time I hope a female Denobulan they are nice and not overly odd.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Hephaestus on February 14, 2013, 10:48:19 PM
I would be very interested but I admit that I am not much of a freeform player. Having a system keeps everyone from being highly decorated officers who are prime athletes with high security clearance and doctorates in Applied warp theory. One of my favorite ideas that never went anywhere was a sanitation engineer.

LOL.  Well, there's a certain amount of trust that has to go into freeform.  I am not really clear on how people interpret my version of what I call freeform but I very much give yeas and nyehs on charcter concepts if they don't fit what I perceive to be the best interests of the game.  I don't allow super characters.  I strongly encourage role play and prefer characters who have flaws.  What's the point in playing a character that can do everything?  In my opinion, it is quite dull.  Why not write your own Superman story at that point.  BTW, Superman is dull to me.  So, anyways, that's my small rant on the subject.  In short, I'm interested in decent writing and role play.  I want a story.  I want people to feel real and vested.

Quote from: Hephaestus on February 14, 2013, 11:10:30 PM
Well we have RubySlippers, Muse, Myself and your NPC's so far as cast. How many player characters were you hoping we would have?

I have to apologize, Hephaestus, I didn't see you sneak in on the conversations.  Three is a good start.  Let's see if we can get a fourth interested and start talking about what  genre/concept attracts all of you most.
O/o's

A/a's

Hephaestus

I have been inactive for sometime. I have recently freed up some time to devote to E. Muse is also encouraging. Traditional sword and sorcery has been a theme for sometime in my live system games and its been a bit burning. This kind of thing is right up my alley. Netflix has been instrumental in allowing me to watch things that were in reruns when I was growing up which is almost everything since I am 25. Ive seen all the movies and read some of the Original Series novels.

In short count me in as this is further developed. I have you bookmarked and will be around as often as possible. Muse is great at finding players we should hit him up.
~Peter Drucker~

Branwen

Devil's Advocate, I'd like to be considered for a spot on the crew.  My preference would be for the original, old series.

BetaBonk

I'd be very interested -- I tend to agree with DA's boundaries on canon; other than that, I'm flexible on the exact setting.

Your notion for the Horizon sounds intriguing, but I have to say that the second idea seems more flexible (and more tolerant of, um, crew replacements :-) ).

Hephaestus

Well as far as crew replacements on the horizon its easy to describe a new crewman. I mean there are hundreds of peoples on these ships so Its not a big deal to have one get demoted, promoted, or otherwise come to prominence or fade from view.
~Peter Drucker~

orderNchaos

OK, I've tried a few Trek games on E and so far most of them have failed miserably.....BUT....I am always up for new Trek RP's.  Count me in.  Do we want to base this off of Shatner OS timeline or should be see if we can totally muck up the new timeline that J.J. Abrams is creating?? 

Muse

I fully concur about star fleet being an excelent vessel for character turn over. 

So.  I'm sure i'm stealing his first name from some cannon character so tell me if it's a bad idea:

Shrass Athrun:  Hotshot pilot, andorian duelist.  Joined starfleet after the (two) lovers of his life spurned him over crazy ideas of wanting a single husband.  :)

AndyZ

Curious...

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 14, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
(DS9, a great concept that really wasn't good TV.)

What made DS9 a great concept but not good TV?  Would that make for a good game?

I've been watcting TOS lately and am up to season 3 or 4.  I've personally had a Star Trek Hologram idea that I've played with for like forever, but can consider most whatever.  Never watched much of DS9, though, so I know it's a space station but little else.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RubySlippers

I consider DS9 save for the original series the best of the Star Trek spin offs.

Ascia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2013, 11:18:21 PM
I would like to play a race likely a member of the Federation at the time I hope a female Denobulan they are nice and not overly odd.

*grumbles* An ENT creation.  At least it is not an offensive one.  :)

Quote from: BetaBonk on February 15, 2013, 12:13:20 PM
I'd be very interested -- I tend to agree with DA's boundaries on canon; other than that, I'm flexible on the exact setting.

Your notion for the Horizon sounds intriguing, but I have to say that the second idea seems more flexible (and more tolerant of, um, crew replacements :-) ).

Well, I think my thought is, let's see how this thing goes/works out and then those who prove to be dedicated, if they're interested in the Horizon plot line, I'd love to run it.  I tried once before but it was my shortest lasting game (7 months).

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 03:32:18 PM
I'm in...if there's still room. =)

We haven't started, so there's plenty of room.  :)

The overwhelming favorite seems to be the TOS (The Original Series for those not geeky enough to know the abbreviation).  I am inclined to stay away from the Abrams world, though it is intriguing to much with.  I'm thinking that we go, say a few years after went TOS movies ended and when Excelsior class starships were causing the Constitutions to be retired.

Everyone interested, say "AYE" and I'll create an OOC place and then an information area, and character sheet info, etc.
O/o's

A/a's