NIH finds antibodies effective in preventing HIV infection!

Started by DarklingAlice, July 08, 2010, 04:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

Always nice to open up my in box and find it filled with good news from the NIH. The media will most likely be making their usual rounds of hubub and hyperbole. This is really really good, but it is not the miracle that it will be made out to be. Definitive release and references to the original articles in the following link:
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news/newsreleases/2010/pages/hivantibodies.aspx

QuoteScientists have discovered two potent human antibodies that can stop more than 90 percent of known global HIV strains from infecting human cells in the laboratory, and have demonstrated how one of these disease-fighting proteins accomplishes this feat. According to the scientists, these antibodies could be used to design improved HIV vaccines, or could be further developed to prevent or treat HIV infection. Moreover, the method used to find these antibodies could be applied to isolate therapeutic antibodies for other infectious diseases as well.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Acinonyx

My university has no subscription to Science Express, so I have to wait for a little to read the original (damn!) and only have the media (and the abstract) to rely on.

But here's to good hope that this will significantly advance HIV research!

Chevalier des Poissons

Excellent. Another step towards the cure for the HIV, I hope.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Paradox

Heh, I had a link about this all ready to post in a new topic, but I had a feeling you might have beaten me to it. Glad to see I was right  :P

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker