A interest call: 3.5 DnD Unique Devil/Demon Campaign in Hell/Abyss (closed FULL)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, December 08, 2011, 06:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

OOC Thread

As for minions, PaleEnchantress actually did a fairly good job summarizing the rules for them at the top of page 22 in the OOC thread, along with a showing her own minion army.

Creating your own plane, meanwhile, depends a lot on what side you take and your backstory.  If you're a demon, you get to make up your own layer of the Abyss to live on and be the lord of, while if you're a devil, your choices are to either be a Duke of Hell on one of its existing layers, or be a unique devil trying to ascend to godhood on God Street, in the city of Dis.  The latter option gets you your own divine realm, while the former option doesn't.

SomeGuy

I'm not a Duke, and I am trying to become a god but I'm not on God Street.

Sahariel

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 03, 2012, 05:32:19 PM
OOC Thread

As for minions, PaleEnchantress actually did a fairly good job summarizing the rules for them at the top of page 22 in the OOC thread, along with a showing her own minion army.

Creating your own plane, meanwhile, depends a lot on what side you take and your backstory.  If you're a demon, you get to make up your own layer of the Abyss to live on and be the lord of, while if you're a devil, your choices are to either be a Duke of Hell on one of its existing layers, or be a unique devil trying to ascend to godhood on God Street, in the city of Dis.  The latter option gets you your own divine realm, while the former option doesn't.

So everyone has eleven slots to buy creatures?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sahariel on January 03, 2012, 07:52:49 PM
So everyone has eleven slots to buy creatures?

No, it varies by the strength of your most powerful minion.

Kunoichi

Nope.  You can have a single minion that's 1 point of CR below yours on the scale, and then the amount of minions you can have doubles for the number you get below that.  So, for example, you could have 1 CR 26 minion, or 2 CR 25 minions, or 4 CR 24 minions, or 8 CR 23 minions, or 16 CR 22 minions, or 32 CR 21 minions, etc...

This is for determining the highest CR minion you have in your army, and how many of said minion you can have.

In Pale's army, her highest CR minions are all CR 23, and she could have a total of 8 of them, if she wanted.  However, she only took 3, and instead traded in the five other slots for a number of lower-CR minions.

Now, how many of these lower CR minions you have is determined differently.  You subtract the CR of the lower-CR minions from the CR of your highest-CR minions, and multiply the result by 5, and that's the number you can have.

To demonstrate, allow me to give you a practical example:  Let's say that you choose to command vast armies on the eternal battlefield of Avernus, the first layer of hell.  In order to help you command your vast armies, you choose the highest-level of standard devil, the Pit Fiend, to be your generals and run your army for you.

Pit Fiends are CR 20, which means you could have a total of 64 Pit Fiends if your force was composed of nothing but Pit Fiends.  That doesn't give you your legions of troops, however, so you instead trade in some of those 64 slots for lower-CR devils.  Just to give an example, let's say you select Legion Devils for your rank and file troops.

Pit Fiends are CR 20, and Legion Devils are CR 3.  20 - 3 = 17, and that, multiplied by 5, comes out to 85.  So, if you trade in one of your 64 minion slots, you'll have 63 Pit Fiends, and 85 Legion Devils.  Let's assume you traded in 10 slots, giving you 850 Legion Devils, and 54 Pit Fiends.

Similarly, let's assume that you spent other slots on some more of the common footsoldiers in Hell's armies.  Steel Devils are CR 6, and Orthons are CR 8.  20 - 6 = 14, multiplied by 5 comes out to 70, and 20 - 8 = 12, multiplied by 5 comes out to 60.

Spending 10 slots on each, your numbers now come out to 34 Pit Fiends, 600 Orthons, 700 Steel Devils, and 850 Legion Devils.

And so on, and so forth.  Understand it a little better, now?

Sahariel

Thank you Kunoichi,

That was an excellant explanation! I almost have my minion list completed.

Can you still aspire to divinity if you're a Duke of Hell?

Also, do any of you know if there is a supplement that details the creation rules/process for a Fiendish Stronghold or a Divine Realm?

Sahariel

Kunoichi

I do believe you can still aspire to divinity if you're a Duke of Hell, yes.  You just also have obligations to work for the Archduke of your home layer until you actually become a god, is all.

As far as strongholds go, there is the Stronghold Builder's Guide.  As for divine realms...  Well, there's the rules for planes, and then the Manual of the Planes also has some extras, and a bunch of cool planar descriptions to give you ideas and inspiration.  Aside from that, check out the description TheGlyphstone wrote up for his layer of the Abyss for a good example of the sorts of details you might want to put into your divine realm, should you decide to make one.

Sahariel

So, here's my minion list. In keeping with the theme of a fallen Solar I have given him survivors of his failed rebellion as followers.

CR 23 Fallen Solar x 2
CR 16 Fallen Planetar x 21, Fallen Hound Archon Heroes x 14
CR 15 Fallen Throne Archon x 40
CR 14 Fallen Astral Deva x 40, Fallen Trumpet Archon x 5
CR 12 Fallen Monadic Deva x 28, Fallen Harmonious Choir of the Words x 27
CR 11 Fallen Sword Archon x 50, Fallen Owl Archon x 10
CR 9 Fallen Movanic Deva x70

I'd might swap out one of the Solars for a Dragon. Do any of you know which species of Planar Dragon is native to Baator?

PaleEnchantress

This one reminds me of myself - He will have to die. ^_~

PS: Remember for spellcasters their spell slots/spells per day stop at level 10 casting. Their caster level will be the same but they will never have spells above 5th level.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Kunoichi

Ah, but Pale, why kill a valid target for Charm Monster? :P

Quote from: Sahariel on January 04, 2012, 03:23:56 AM
I'd might swap out one of the Solars for a Dragon. Do any of you know which species of Planar Dragon is native to Baator?

Styx Dragons can be found wherever the river Styx flows, and since it flows through every lower plane...

Aside from that, I'd imagine you could tempt a Rust Dragon away from the Infernal Battlefield of Acheron easily enough.

Snake

I have a nealy unstoppable red-dragon I could plug in to play with if you want :3

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 04, 2012, 01:32:31 PM
Ah, but Pale, why kill a valid target for Charm Monster? :P

Why charm monster when you can Mindrape?

Kunoichi

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on January 04, 2012, 01:57:43 PM
Why charm monster when you can Mindrape?

Point.

...Can you, however?  I think it's a bit too high-level to duplicate with Wish...

TheGlyphstone

And shouldn't anything worth Mindraping (or Charming) be Immune To Mind-Affecting anyways?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 04, 2012, 03:06:12 PM
Point.

...Can you, however?  I think it's a bit too high-level to duplicate with Wish...

I realized that I had made myself to be a master of spells and yet had no spells so i changed my phneric template to alu-fiend an swapped the spell-like abilities for different ones of equal level. So I while i wouldn't have the crushing power of a wizard and his infinite versatility id still have a few decent spells like abilities in my arsenal.

Karasu

Hey ummdoes anyone evne have my Char sheet? I can't find where i put it >.< or have we not made one yet?
Removed, due to vandalism.

Kunoichi

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on January 04, 2012, 05:14:43 PM
I realized that I had made myself to be a master of spells and yet had no spells so i changed my phneric template to alu-fiend an swapped the spell-like abilities for different ones of equal level. So I while i wouldn't have the crushing power of a wizard and his infinite versatility id still have a few decent spells like abilities in my arsenal.

Ah, I see.  Your character sheet doesn't seem to have been updated with this information, however. ^^;

Quote from: Karasu on January 04, 2012, 08:13:47 PM
Hey ummdoes anyone evne have my Char sheet? I can't find where i put it >.< or have we not made one yet?

Sorry, I don't think you made one.  Having looked back over the thread, though, you seemed to want to play a dragon of some sort...

Karasu

Sahariel

Hey thanks again Kunoichi,

--Updated Minion List for my Fallen Solar--
CR 23 Fallen Solar x 1
CR 22 Great Wyrm Styx Dragon x1, Great Wyrm Rust Dragon x 1
CR 16 Fallen Planetar x 21, Fallen Hound Archon Heroes x 14
CR 15 Fallen Throne Archon x 40
CR 14 Fallen Astral Deva x 40, Fallen Trumpet Archon x 5
CR 12 Fallen Monadic Deva x 28, Fallen Harmonious Choir of the Words x 27
CR 11 Fallen Sword Archon x 50, Fallen Owl Archon x 10
CR 9 Fallen Movanic Deva x70

Kunoichi

Quote from: Karasu on January 04, 2012, 10:40:06 PM
yups XD I suck at making high levels tho >.<

Well, I'd certainly be willing to help out on that front.  Are you interested in being a Devil, or a Demon?  And would you prefer to be one of the varieties of dragon with spellcasting, or a Planar Dragon?

Edit: If you want to be a spellcasting dragon, they don't really get more overpowered for their CR than a Steel Dragon (updated to 3.5 in Dragons of Faerun).  We're talking CR 18 to be a Great Wyrm with spellcasting as a 21st-level Sorcerer, which easily leaves you room for some good templates and an awesome arcane prestige class or two...

Sahariel

So, this is my first attempt at a stronghold. I created a mountain of Obsidian for my Solar. It's located on Phlegethos in Baator. I wanted to create a caricature of Mount Celestia. I am thinking of playing him as a Duke of Hell under Belial.

Feedback is welcomed.

Thanks guys =)

Infractia

Infractia is a malicious caricature of Mount Celestia, a mountain of black obsidian, rising from the flame-wracked wasteland of Phlegethos to stab at the layer's fiery heart high above the realm of Inana and the seat of Belial and Fierna. Whether through the intervention of the Gods of Celestia or the force of Tzadkiel's grim obsessions and reminiscences  Infractia evokes the Solar's failures and hubris. Infractia's peak stabs at the fiery maelstrom above Phlegethos, like a sacrificial dagger. The fiery maelstrom wheeling above Phlegethos is constantly visible. The obsidian faces of Infractia are veined with black diamond, ruby, and other precious minerals. The frequency of precious mineral deposits increases as one draws closer to the Shattered Basilica. Climbers must contend with treacherous lava falls and flows, fire storms, and worse. Flying presents other problems, clouds of smoke, fire, and even ice, obfuscate higher layers.

The paths traversing the mountain are narrow, steep, and labyrinthine at many points during the ascent the only option is to fly or climb across the sheer surface of the mountain with the aid of jagged hand and toeholds.

There are several portals leading to Infractia from other layers of Baator, Outer Planes, Inner Planes, and Prime Material Planes. All of these portals, save a handful of portals in the Shattered Basilica, dump travelers into  the Sea of Tears.     

1-The Sea of Tears-The lowermost Level of Infractia is a vast sea of stagnant water, strangely at odds with the layer proper. Minstrels and bards sings songs of how the Gods of Celestia took the tears of widows and orphans wrought by Tzadkiel's pride and enwrapped his citadel with a palpable emblem of their grief and pain. Wrought by the Gods or no, the waters of the Sea of Tears are tepid to the touch and function as unholy water.

At the foot of a mountain, narrow strands and beaches of ash hug narrower trailheads, a few wider beaches contain the skeletal remains of scorched hamlets and villages torn from distant prime material planes.

2-The second level of Infractia is not as steep as many of the successive layers, although it is a place of deep rifts and wide streams of living flame, rushing like the great tributaries of the prime material plane. Many of the rifts contain the tombs and mausoleums of Paladins and Knights who died in service to Tzadkiel and his rebellions Solar and a mere handful of Blackguards who have died since. Great wealth and magic are housed within these tombs but the fallen Archons who reside on the second layer take a dim view of grave-robbers. Punishment is preceded by a trial, of course, convicted grave-robbers are summarily thrown into the lake of fire at the heart of the layer's deepest rift.

The Broken Sword: Rising from a deep rift, this caricature of Bahamat's palace, is the home of a Great Wyrm Rust Dragon subjugated by Lord of the Mount, shortly after his fall. The palace is made entirely from the Wyrm's hoard. Windows of clouded and chipped jewels in frames of tarnished brass. The walls are wrought from rusted copper and ivory darkened with age, the stone floors are covered with swords, spears, lances, and more, slowly oxidizing beneath the great Wyrm. The silent skulls of seven great Wyrms stare down at the massive rust Dragon from the walls of the palace.

3-The slopes of the third layer of Infractia are even more treacherous than the second. In defiance to the fires of Phlegethos a massive blizzard enwraps the third layer of Infractia covering the jagged obsidian with ice and snow. Some Elementalists speculate that there is a massive conduit to the Para-Elemental plain of ice at the heart of the blizzard. Many Priests and theologians believe it is merely a dark parody of Venya, the third heaven, wrought by the Gods of Celestia. Others believe that it is a manifestation of the Solar's grim reminiscences.

At certain points the storm relents to the flame. There is a chance that climbers may step out of a blizzard and into a funeral pyre. Another hazard unique to the plain are the breeding pits. Many of the 'pits' are located on terraces guarded by fallen archons, these can be easily avoided. Although, other smaller pits are unmarked save for rounded stones that gird them like wells, these are easily obfuscated by the deep snows.

The 'pits' provide the Solar's servitors with a meager income. Archons are not adept at raising Larvae but they raise enough within the pits to devour an unwary adventurer. The Archons have done better in the subterranean gardens of the third layer, raising poisonous fungi and worse in cave gardens warmed by lava carried by rock channels from the higher layers.

Break-banner lake This icy lake is the largest region of flat ground in the third layer of Infractia. it is littered with frost scoured armor, shattered lances, and battle standards, jumbled, soiled, broken, forgotten. Here are gathered the standards of usurpers, pretenders, and turncoats. At the very center of the lake is a hole, the lake is deep but through the cold waters one can see gold, gems, fine ivory and jade figurines, loving crafted magical weapons and more.

This is the home of Tzadkiel's bound Styx Dragon, who will attack any who presume to steal from his hoard. If a visitor throws an item of value into the lake the Wyrm will rise and impart his guess with a prophecy, involving the gift-giver. The prophecies are, invariably, dark and often allude to the death of the gift-giver.

4-The fourth layer of Infractia is colder than the third. Vast glaciers of black whore-frost hold dominion over steep, punishing slopes, long broad veins of gems, gold, and silver grout the stone beneath the whore frost but more oft than not they are at angles impossible to reach, flying is problematic. The howling winds continually buffet and toss any aerial creature, or adventurer, who does not possess a special spell-key, covetously guarded by the layer's Fallen Deva's. The ridges of the fourth layer are bedecked with temples, cathedrals, and monasteries. Splendid buildings that tantalize travelers like desert mirages. Although, at the crest foot of each of these, and only at the very foot, are the flaws perceptible.

A monastery that looked old and romantic is naught bur a drafty ruin, a temple that looked splendid and bright is gaudy and inlayed with pyrite and faux gems. Many and more are shattered by war and plague, torn from distant realms to adorn the Seraph's realm. Nearly all are vacant save a mere handful on the last ridge leading to a portal to the fifth layer of Infractia, here a handful of Fallen Deva's stand watch and exact tolls.

The Betrayer's Anvil

The names of this delving has been lost to time, one of Tzadkiel's former compatriot's took to calling it the Betrayer's Anvil. The stone work is beautiful, enough to make even the most jaded of Dwarves weep; a delving wrought by a long dead clan of dwarves smiths worms its way through the vast ridges of the fourth level of Infractia. The scale of the delving is awe-inspiring, vast armories of armor and blades rust beneath ancient dust and cobwebs. With forges, smelters, barracks, and drilling-grounds sufficient for an tens-of-thousands, the Betrayer's Anvil has the infrastructure necessary to wage a war that would rack the planes.  Alas, only a few forge fires burn, a few Archon smiths produce a small trickle of green-steel swords and spearheads.  The remainder of the delving is black and desolate.

5- The fifth layer of Infractia is surrounded by a cloud of poisonous lung-searing gas. Any who are not protected from, or immune to poison take damage every round while traversing the fifth layer of Infractia. The trails are so narrow than only one humanoid may traverse the paths, often-times they must hug the jagged walls of the mount. Serpents, flesh-eating scarab beetles and worse, dwell in many of the clefts, waiting for unwary adventurers or fallen celestials, the wild life is tough and inured against the poisonous vapors.  Like the fourth layer it is dominated by high ridges. The citadels, temples, and keeps atop the nearly shear ridges of the fifth level all have garrisons, however small. None of the keeps boasts more than a twentieth of its full  garrison.

Venia

One of the only cities in Infractia, Venia is a splendid place wrought from age-darkened bone and ivory. It sits on the shores of a fetid poisonous lake, the fountains of Venia produce poisons of every variety. Many Assassins have endeavored to journey to the vitriolic City, yet few survive the snake and scarab laden ascent. The Solar demands payment, in Larvae, favors, or temporal wealth, for any drought taken from the city's founts. The sheer number of fountains makes guarding them impractical, although  Venia is also known for its torturers. The scream of tormented souls are often heard over the babble of poisonous founts.

6- The slopes of the sixth layer of Infractia are littered with rubies, black diamonds, night-blue rubies, emeralds, and more. Glittering with an inky black life-sucking fog. Any character or creature that does not possess some form of negative energy protection takes damage every round when traversing  the sixth layer of Infractia. Fallen archons wander the fields guarding their Lord's wealth, once champions of law and good, now they are little more than extensions of his covetousness. 

Tenebria.

The City of Tenebria is located centrally in the sixth level of Infractia. A smaller seven-tiered Obsidian dagger, wide at the base, narrowing to a wicked point that disappears into the inky abyss of Darkness above. Tenebria. Tenebria possesses treacherous slopes and hazards in miniature; it is a microcosm of Infractia. Each tier of Tenebria is grouted with precious gemstones of a different variety, amethyst, bloodstone, sapphire,, ruby, emerald, black diamond. On the lowermost level sits an empty mint, a beautiful structure inlaid with precious metals, with sweeping ramparts and rounded domes. The presses like so much of Infractia are covered with dust, a few thin silver and copper coins bearing the image of Tzadkiel on one side and a flaming great sword on the other litter the dusty floors; the coin of an usurper.

On the fourth level, Planetars guard the Betrayer's Arsenal, as it stands. The building is broad and long, with a convoluted network of egg-shaped cellars that calls to mind the caverns of Agathion in Pandemonium. Here in a few dark armories glitter the radiant but tarnished arsenal of Tzadkiel's minions. Deep within the caves are doors with words and glyphs of power wrought upon them. Wards so strong that not even the Seraph dare breach them. Some who serve them say that the Arsenal was torn from a demi-plane or another Solar's keep. Many more believe it is yet another punishment inflicted by the gods and hosts of Celestia. Just as Tenebria is nearly the highest tower in the outer planes, the Betrayer's Arsenal's power is just out of reach.

The uppermost floor, beneath the black maelstrom is guarded by a Solar, Arikel, or a pair of Planetars in his absence. A bridge of darkness leads out to a portal of living, writhing darkness adorned with ravens and weeping angels it rises to a height of twelve feet and leads to the upper most reaches of Infractia.   

7- The Uppermost spire of Infractia is a sea of darkness alight, albeit occasionally by islands of fire. It is a cancerous growth of darkness spreading its tendrils into the fiery heart of Phlegethos. Any creature or adventurer who is not protected from negative energy takes damage every round.

The Shattered Basilica

Before his fall from grace Tzadkiel was venerated as a champion of his God, the vanquisher of Infernal beasts, and the savior of nations. In those days his God's followers venerated him in the Basilica of ivory and spun silver.

Some say his rebellion was prompted by lust, some say love, other that it was merely pride. Now, he holds domain over Infractia in a basilica with shattered domes or tarnished silver surrounded by defaced and defiled statuary. He sits brooding more and scheming from a chair of jade and gold, with the broken jade and gold aspect of his old God at his feet.

The shattered Basilica possesses four doors that connect to vaults, large pocket dimensions reminiscent of bags of holding. There is also at least three portals in the Basilica. One leads to the Prime Material Plane, another to Avernus on Baator, the last to Agathion in Pandemonium. 

Planar Traits

Normal Gravity

Time: 1-6 Normal Time, 7 Timeless.

Size: Infinite, Each layer of Infractia is infinite, though each layer is but one portion of the greater mountain, each higher than the previous layer.

Strongly Evil-Aligned and Strongly Law-Aligned Creatures that are not Lawful and Evil suffer a -2 penalty on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma-based checks. Creatures who are neither Chaotic nor Evil suffer a -4 penalty on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma-based checks.

Elemental Traits: Varies by Layer.

1-Water: Visitors who can’t breathe water or reach a pocket of air will likely drown. Creatures of the fire subtype are extremely uncomfortable on water-dominant planes. Those made of fire take 1d10 points of damage each round.

Additionally the Sea or Tears functions as unholy water dealing 2d4 points of damage to Good Outsiders per round.

2-Fire: Those without resistance or immunity to fire are soon immolated

3-Ice 1d6 points of cold damage per round to any creature not protected from or immune to cold.

4-Ice 1d6 points of cold damage per round to any creature not protected from or immune to cold.

5-Poison 1d6 points of poison damage per round to any creature not protected from or immune to poison.

6- Negative Dominant (Minor): Living creatures take 1d6 points of damage per round. At 0 hit points or lower, they crumble into ash.

6- Negative Dominant (Minor): Each round, those within must make a DC 25 Fortitude save or gain a negative level. A creature whose negative levels equal its current levels or Hit Dice is slain, becoming a wraith. The death ward spell protects a traveler from the damage and energy drain of a negative-dominant plane.

Enhanced Magic: All spells from the Evil Domain and all reverse-Healing spells function as though they are Maximized as per the feat. So too are all spells that drain life energy, on the 6th and 7th layers of Infractia.

Impeded Magic: Fly, Teleport, Dimension Door, and PlaneShift Spells are all impeded unless the caster possesses the correct spell key. So too are all spells from the Good and Healing Domains, Tzadkiel's spells are excluded from this condition.

Karasu

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 04, 2012, 10:53:03 PM
Well, I'd certainly be willing to help out on that front.  Are you interested in being a Devil, or a Demon?  And would you prefer to be one of the varieties of dragon with spellcasting, or a Planar Dragon?

Edit: If you want to be a spellcasting dragon, they don't really get more overpowered for their CR than a Steel Dragon (updated to 3.5 in Dragons of Faerun).  We're talking CR 18 to be a Great Wyrm with spellcasting as a 21st-level Sorcerer, which easily leaves you room for some good templates and an awesome arcane prestige class or two...

mm That sounds interesting.. Lets do it! ^^

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 04, 2012, 10:53:03 PM

*cough* 10th-level sorcerer. *cough*

Karasu