"My name is James Tiberius Kirk"

Started by Vekseid, November 17, 2008, 09:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Leonard Nimoy apparently liked the script.

I consider that a good sign.

The Overlord

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what to say on the Corvette scene. 'Trek history tells us there was the eugenics wars, at least a limited nuclear exchange...and other than Zefram Cochrane's warp ship in First Contact, humanity looked a little...rustic. So there's about a two century rebuilding process until Kirk is a little kid, but what environmentally sealed vault did he get that car from? ...I digress, but it was almost 300 years old. (EDIT- yeah yeah I know...replicators)   ::)

I guess they're making the point Kirk is a red blooded American male (in case three seasons on the tube and several movies didn't get that across), I wonder how Shatner feels on the script since I heard there was a snub there.

Anyhoo, seems like they're drawing from canon based on all I've read to date, leaning heavily on a Romulan connection. Should be interesting.

Vekseid

I am a bit disappointed that they aren't doing a full reboot, though I hope they at least continue this nice tradition of touching cannon items up.

And yeah, I assumed the 'vette was not an original. It's missing the point, somewhat, to complain about the vette - Kirk lives on the edge, and Earth, for all it's been through, is still quite familiar (are those arcologies in the background?).

Oniya

Shatner's been claiming snubs for years now - and it's no secret that he didn't get along well with the cast during the original series (including Nichelle Nichols at the time of the infamous kiss).  Recently I saw something about him being upset that he wasn't invited to George Takei's wedding.

I suspect that some of his on-screen arrogance wasn't faked - but I always thought Spock was sexier, so losing the original JTK won't affect me much.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

The thing about Shatner; over the years there's been rumors he was a pompous arse on the cast back when they were shooting the original, and left some bad blood for years to come. I know when I saw George Takei at Dragoncon two years ago he seemed to have an issue. Someone made some question or remark regarding Nimoy and Shatner, and he answered the Nimoy part but then he said something more or less who was the other guy and let the topic drop.

Shatner said he was mad over not being invited, Takei countered saying he had been invited. Ultimately it's none of our business but it would have been nicer to see that future world where we got a lot of issues settled rub off a little more on the people who portrayed it. Those guys are all in their sixties+ when are they going to stop acting like little kids? *sigh

I guess my point on the Vette is that it puts 'Trek a little too close to modern day. I mean, Kirk is probably his late thirties by the time he commands the historic five-year mission, and though we don't see much of Earth in the series, there's little to directly connect it to today. Civilization today bears little resemblance to c. 1700, and I'd expect it to be the same case around 2300, which the Trek timeline is rapidly closing in on in Kirk's era.

I guess I'm saying I'll feel uncomfortable if they put it too close in appearance to other established sci-fi that sits within a century or so of the modern day. With 300 years of breathing space, 'Trek always seemed to have a relatively safe psychological distance from us.

Arcologies, yeah, I suspect that's what we're looking at. Makes you wonder what life in one of those would be like...

Oniya

Quote from: The Overlord on November 18, 2008, 05:23:31 PM
I guess my point on the Vette is that it puts 'Trek a little too close to modern day. I mean, Kirk is probably his late thirties by the time he commands the historic five-year mission, and though we don't see much of Earth in the series, there's little to directly connect it to today. Civilization today bears little resemblance to c. 1700, and I'd expect it to be the same case around 2300, which the Trek timeline is rapidly closing in on in Kirk's era.

I guess I'm saying I'll feel uncomfortable if they put it too close in appearance to other established sci-fi that sits within a century or so of the modern day. With 300 years of breathing space, 'Trek always seemed to have a relatively safe psychological distance from us.

Arcologies, yeah, I suspect that's what we're looking at. Makes you wonder what life in one of those would be like...

Maybe Kirk is a reenactor?  I've got lots of friends who go over the top making sure their armor, swords, and costuming looks accurate.  Maybe 300 years from now, there will be people researching patterns for blue jeans and muscle T's, and using 'colorful metaphors' instead of proper Earthian. ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on November 18, 2008, 05:29:45 PM
Maybe Kirk is a reenactor?  I've got lots of friends who go over the top making sure their armor, swords, and costuming looks accurate.  Maybe 300 years from now, there will be people researching patterns for blue jeans and muscle T's, and using 'colorful metaphors' instead of proper Earthian. ;)

Point. He did seem to show a particular affinity for the American flag in The Omega Glory, whether or not the United States technically exists in his day.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Vekseid

The intent of the vette is to be a sucker punch. I'm willing to appreciate that sort of thing, there are plenty of reasons to suspend disbelief over it : )

WyldRanger

Ok....now that I've seen this trailer...I can't wait for it now! Plus having Nimoy's seal of approval is the best thing about it! :)

Zeitgeist

I'm very excited to see this  ;D

The trailer is pretty awesome. I was somewhat confused how Scotty looked, looks sort of...manic? But perhaps there's an explanation.

My favorite quote comes from Scotty: The more you over do the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Something I try to keep in mind in my work, programming and databases.