Spoiler tags?

Started by BCdan, December 28, 2009, 06:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCdan

Would it be possible to have spoiler tags? 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You would have text hidden between the spoiler tags so users don't have to see something if they don't want to.

It would be so useful! 

~I enjoy random PM's~

Oniya

Personally, I find that setting the text color to Yellow works well enough.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

consortium11

Quote from: Oniya on December 28, 2009, 06:47:45 PM
Personally, I find that setting the text color to Yellow works well enough.

I prefer white or beige

BCdan

But it seems like a easy piece of BB code to add. 

I guess I could also make blog posts and link to them.

~I enjoy random PM's~

HairyHeretic

What sort of use would you see for this?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

BCdan

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 29, 2009, 08:28:06 AM
What sort of use would you see for this?

Well there could be many uses.  If someone were doing a choose your own adventure style story on E, they could use spoiler tags to keep it clean and easy to use.  If someone uploads a bunch of images onto the art forum, they could hide them in spoiler tags so they won't pop up right away or if the author wants to write an introduction before revealing the images.  Plus you could always hide spoilers as the spoiler tags were originally intended.

It can also be used in the on and offs section to create a table of contents on one single post by letting people reveal sections of the contents by clicking the spoiler tag.

Ideally it would have a button that says "show spoilers", which upon being clicked would show the spoilers.  I think that system is a lot better compared to blacked out text with some spoiler tags. 

Here is an example of what I mean, used on another forum: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#spoiler

~I enjoy random PM's~

Oniya

One problem with this is that Skyscraper appears to use a different coding language (vB code) than Elliquiy (SMF2).  If there's not already a spoiler tag available in SMF2, it means that someone would have to code and implement one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caeli

And I believe Veks wants to code everything that goes onto Elliquiy himself; too messy to try and hack somebody else's work (I think). Considering that it's not an absolutely necessary feature, even in terms of roleplaying and usage, that might be something you can ask him to look into in the future, perhaps, though he would be able to tell you more about the spoiler code and why it isn't here on Elliquiy.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

It's just annoying because I have to redo the code on each update. It's a block in Subs.php

If there's a mod on simplemachines I'd prefer to use that first >_>