RPG/JRPG What are you playing now?

Started by Oreo, November 27, 2015, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

This is a light discussion topic for RPG/JRPG type games. Why you like or dislike them. The one you are playing now. The one you threw into the corner swearing to burn it with fire. The one you never got back to.

All that is requested is to please be civil. Keep the conversation easygoing. ;D Enjoy.

I am currently playing Wild Arms 5 and enjoying it. I have no idea why, but it feels a lot like playing FF X to me. O.o

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Inkidu

I generally play RPGs now. I don't have anything against JRPGs per se, but they've become cliche and mired in old mechanics to me. I get just as ticked at a WRPG that tries to be "old school" and takes on all the problems of that term thinking that's what made those games fun.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oreo

I have not heard of WRPG. What is it?

I've gone back to playing a selection of PS2 games I never tried because PS3 was already out when I started gaming. Sometimes it is hard to go backwards when it comes to graphics, but I am really enjoying the engines in the games.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Mathim

Currently playing Final Fantasy IV on the DS. Never gotten more than, I'd guess, about halfway through the game. Seriously, the difficulty level is off the charts, it requires so much level-grinding and your characters start out at laughably low levels at the starts of the game. I've had to create save files that start out at a certain point in the game to make things less aggravating than starting from the beginning (which has an unskippable, long-winded intro sequence to boot.) It's one of the only Final Fantasy games I haven't beaten and this time I'm determined to do it. I just wish Final Fantasy V and VI both receive the same DS or 3DS treatment someday, to update their graphics and make everything smoother and clean up the graphic and all the glitches, but also keep/add in all the stuff from their Gameboy Advance versions, too. Come on, Square-Enix!

I would also like to know what a WRPG is. I know what an SRPG is, something like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea, but I've not heard of WRPG.

Once I switch my Wii data over to my new Wii U, I also plan to pick back up on both Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG, the latter being the one that popped my RPG cherry and made me fall in love with the genre. Oh, nostalgia...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Oreo on November 27, 2015, 06:33:12 AM
I have not heard of WRPG. What is it?

I've gone back to playing a selection of PS2 games I never tried because PS3 was already out when I started gaming. Sometimes it is hard to go backwards when it comes to graphics, but I am really enjoying the engines in the games.
Western RPG the other side of JRPG.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oreo

I got Final Fantasy The Four Heroes of Light instead of Final Fantasy IV for the 3DS. Now you have me thinking about getting FF IV. I've not played any FF games pre-X. I am really liking the look of games on the 3DS XL and have been getting a few games here and there. I am presently playing Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, but I left it while I started Wild Arms 5. >.< Now I can't remember if I was supposed to head East or West in the game. *headdesks*

Quote from: Inkidu on November 27, 2015, 08:55:13 AM
Western RPG the other side of JRPG.

Would that include most of the Action RPGs? Also things like War in the North type games?

Inkidu

It gets iffy. I mean, my personal belief is that all games ask you to take on a role, but when people say WRPG they mean D&D based games, Wizardry, Ultima, stuff like that.

Oreo

Those are before my gaming time. Do they involve more than one person in the party? Or are they more along the lines of one player smashing stuff?

The three or four member party is the dynamic I enjoy about JRPG. If there are western equivalents to this I want them.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oreo on November 27, 2015, 10:19:48 AM
Those are before my gaming time. Do they involve more than one person in the party? Or are they more along the lines of one player smashing stuff?

The three or four member party is the dynamic I enjoy about JRPG. If there are western equivalents to this I want them.
Pillars of Eternity, Lords of Xulima, and Divinity: Original Sin are some modern examples.

Formless

I recently finished playing the ' Tales of Zestiria ' game. I like the concept of ' don't use your powers for good all the time so you wouldn't interfere with people's lives.' Its rare for a JRPG or RPG to tackle this concept.

Now I'm bouncing between The Witcher 3 and Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria.

I like the witcher because its easy to get into and doesn't complicate the gameplay with too many mechanics that isn't too rewarding. And the story telling in the game is marvellous. And unlike most western RPGs, The witcher establish a character for you to use instead of the generic character you can create.

As for the Valkyrie game. Its the best that the JRPG world ever came up with. The story telling is interesting , the battle system at the time was exciting , and still is compared to recent games. Instead of tedious grinding , the game rewards thenplayer for exploring different options from weapon setups to character setups.

Oreo

Quote from: Inkidu on November 27, 2015, 10:32:43 AM
Pillars of Eternity, Lords of Xulima, and Divinity: Original Sin are some modern examples.
I have them. I just need to play them.

I tried to play most of Zestiria without going into super mode. I liked playing with the combos more than the massive damage and effects of armatized mode.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Though I am presently gritting my teeth trying to fight my own party on the bridge to LadyLake. I cannot take Rose and Zavied.

I might need to play through a second time to get a good grasp on upgrading the weapons and armor as well.

Have you played any other Tales games Formless?

Inkidu

The Witcher 3 easy to get into? Wow, never thought I'd hear that one.

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Formless

Quote from: Oreo on November 27, 2015, 10:45:48 AM
I have them. I just need to play them.

I tried to play most of Zestiria without going into super mode. I liked playing with the combos more than the massive damage and effects of armatized mode.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Though I am presently gritting my teeth trying to fight my own party on the bridge to LadyLake. I cannot take Rose and Zavied.

I might need to play through a second time to get a good grasp on upgrading the weapons and armor as well.

Have you played any other Tales games Formless?

I actually gave up on that fight on the bridge. Its the one thing I couldn't do.

And From the Abyss onward , I played any installment on the PS consoles. I still think the abyss was more enjoyable for me.

Quote from: Inkidu on November 27, 2015, 10:52:00 AM

Well compared to the Souls series or Bloodbourne , The Witcher was easier for me. The glossary helps deal with most enemies , and the ability build was simpler. That's how I see it anyway. ;D

Oreo

Quote from: Formless on November 27, 2015, 11:02:18 AM
I actually gave up on that fight on the bridge. Its the one thing I couldn't do.

And From the Abyss onward , I played any installment on the PS consoles. I still think the abyss was more enjoyable for me.

Oh good it wasn't just me. It was one of those fights where leveling up wouldn't help. I even tried stripping them of all their wearable garb, and still could not take them down.

I liked The Abyss too. Contrary to many opinions out there my favorite story-wise was Graces.

Formless

Quote from: Oreo on November 27, 2015, 11:08:15 AM
Oh good it wasn't just me. It was one of those fights where leveling up wouldn't help. I even tried stripping them of all their wearable garb, and still could not take them down.

I liked The Abyss too. Contrary to many opinions out there my favorite story-wise was Graces.

I think that fight requires lesser combos and more hard hitting skills. Even when Armetized with Mikleo and keeping a distance , it won't help. ::)

Graces was fun. I can't say the story itself was exciting , but the exchange between characters was delightful. Especially when Pascal was involved.

Oreo

Quote from: Formless on November 27, 2015, 11:20:45 AM
I think that fight requires lesser combos and more hard hitting skills. Even when Armetized with Mikleo and keeping a distance , it won't help. ::)

Graces was fun. I can't say the story itself was exciting , but the exchange between characters was delightful. Especially when Pascal was involved.

That is the most endearing part of the Tales series, the character interaction. Best skit ever in a tales game has to be bazongas, hands down. I adored Edna in Zestiria. It was also interesting in Zestiria to see how seamless it seemed compared to most Tales games.

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on November 27, 2015, 10:52:00 AM

I'd argue the Witcher games are one of the simpler RPG games to get into. The great strength of them is that they combine the accessibility of the relatively simple action rpg mechanics with the sort of detailed storytelling and questing one normally finds in non-action RPGS. The potion system (as in drinking before battles rather than during them) and the styles/rhythm game based combat of the first may take a little time to get used to but otherwise there's little there that would confuse someone not used to the genre. Compared to the sort of "magic puzzle" combat one gets in Baldur's Gate style games it's a whole bunch more accessible. Likewise it avoids a lot of issues that might put someone off playing other games; the production (graphics, voice acting etc) are great, there aren't many bugs, there isn't a huge bunch of text to read etc.

I'm currently playing a lot of Mount and Blade: Warband, generally with total conversion mods. It's the most sandbox of all sandbox rpgs with a heavy emphasis on combat and (especially in the harder mods on harder difficulties) first person real time strategy. There are a lot of flaws there; the graphics are heavily outdated at this point, the vanilla game is woefully unbalanced and requires a lot of busywork (especially once you set up a kingdom) and many of the total conversion mods are unfinished which means there are not only bugs but that they also don't really live up to their potential but it's still and incredibly rewarding game when it all comes together.

Inkidu

I'm finding it rather hard to get into simply because the games have density of quest. Yeah the mechanics might not be as complex as some games, but he story can be rather a headache to navigate. You can spend hours and it feels like I'm making no progress.

EDIT: I'm playing Neo Scavenger. It's like Fallout without the 1950s aesthetic and more of an emphasis on actually surviving.

Mathim

Quote from: Oreo on November 27, 2015, 08:58:17 AM
I got Final Fantasy The Four Heroes of Light instead of Final Fantasy IV for the 3DS. Now you have me thinking about getting FF IV. I've not played any FF games pre-X. I am really liking the look of games on the 3DS XL and have been getting a few games here and there. I am presently playing Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, but I left it while I started Wild Arms 5. >.< Now I can't remember if I was supposed to head East or West in the game. *headdesks*

Would that include most of the Action RPGs? Also things like War in the North type games?

I'm going to have to finish IV before I even think about the Four Heroes of Light sequel. I think everything will make way more sense if you play the first one, though I don't know about the story of FHoL so maybe it covers everything. If you're going to play anything pre-X on a console, I recommend 7 (if you have a PS3 or PS4, you can get it on the Playstation Network) but skip 8 and 9, they're overall shorter and less satisfying story-wise. For something similar to IV, and very long-winded and immensely satisfying, 5 and 6 are also recommended. I'd steer clear of 3 even though it was remade on the DS, the way you have to level up each job class individually is enough to make you want to pull your hair out. Maybe if it was a SRPG it would make more sense, but not as a JRPG.

Also I finished Sentinels of the Starry Skies and while I tried to enjoy the post-game stuff, there just was way too much level grinding needed and no reliable way to quickly farm EXP.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oreo

Quote from: Mathim on November 27, 2015, 12:14:04 PM
I'm going to have to finish IV before I even think about the Four Heroes of Light sequel. I think everything will make way more sense if you play the first one, though I don't know about the story of FHoL so maybe it covers everything. If you're going to play anything pre-X on a console, I recommend 7 (if you have a PS3 or PS4, you can get it on the Playstation Network) but skip 8 and 9, they're overall shorter and less satisfying story-wise. For something similar to IV, and very long-winded and immensely satisfying, 5 and 6 are also recommended. I'd steer clear of 3 even though it was remade on the DS, the way you have to level up each job class individually is enough to make you want to pull your hair out. Maybe if it was a SRPG it would make more sense, but not as a JRPG.

Also I finished Sentinels of the Starry Skies and while I tried to enjoy the post-game stuff, there just was way too much level grinding needed and no reliable way to quickly farm EXP.

I have all the FF series in one form or another, but found I like them graphically on the 3DS. It seems to be the easiest on my eyes and the controls are closer to what I am used to playing. I have 7,8 and 9 on the PS3, but they look horrid on a 56" HDTV. I actually like the 3DS better than the Vita. I got the DS a few months ago because I kept seeing all the games I would like to play were only available on it. My only regret is I wish I understood the difference in the New3DS and the 3DS. *headdesks* No 3DS Xenoblade Chronicles for me. :P

I just might do that with FF IV. It will arrive long before I finish Dragon Quest. I started playing that one to prepare me for the release of Dragon Quest Heroes. Too many games, not enough time.

Inkidu

Holy crap. Combat in Neo Scavenger is nuts. I got into a fight with a human being and it took a long time to stab him to death with a multi-tool and my fists. He literally died because his lungs filled with blood.

(It's all done through turn-based combat so it's not gory, it's more like how your imagination fills in the gaps. I'm lucky he only gave me a few minor cuts and bruises).

I was able to get some good clothes though. A t-shirt, some pants, and a hoodie too.

Formless

Quote from: Oreo on November 27, 2015, 11:31:50 AM
That is the most endearing part of the Tales series, the character interaction. Best skit ever in a tales game has to be bazongas, hands down. I adored Edna in Zestiria. It was also interesting in Zestiria to see how seamless it seemed compared to most Tales games.

Well , The first Xillia game was full of innuendos. ::)

Oreo

Quote from: Formless on November 27, 2015, 01:57:35 PM
Well , The first Xillia game was full of innuendos. ::)
*laughs* True that!

::) Her skirt is so short.

Yeah, isn't it wonderful?

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on November 27, 2015, 12:06:18 PM
I'm finding it rather hard to get into simply because the games have density of quest. Yeah the mechanics might not be as complex as some games, but he story can be rather a headache to navigate. You can spend hours and it feels like I'm making no progress.

I think it's one of the sins of open world games; to fill the open world with things to do they include a lot of quests but they can't have every quest tie into the main plot. Thus lots of quests that don't seem to go anywhere. The Witcher 3 is better than most at giving their side-quests some storyline beyond "go there, kill/fetch x of that" (outside of the Witcher Contracts... although even they add a little more effort) but the basic issue still remains; if you're doing all the side quests as they come up (and are level appropriate) then you're spending an awful lot of time not progressing the main quest. The more focused questing of the Witcher 1 and 2 seems preferable to me; outside of the contracts even the side-quests tended to focus on characters who were important to the main plot and give additional insight into them.

For me while the plot of the Witcher 3 was accessible and simple enough it's actually one of the weaknesses of the game. If you've read the books it has impact but if you haven't (and the games really shouldn't expect people to do so) then it all falls a bit flat. Again, the Witcher 1 and 2 tended to do a far better job of handling that. Perhaps the biggest offender for me was... I'm going to spoil this for those who haven't played, although considering how long the game has been out I'm not sure I really have to...

Witcher 3 Spoilers
... having the main "fetch" quest be about Geralt finding Ciri, not Yennefer. If you haven't read the books then Ciri is a character who'd barely been mentioned in the previous two games and her connection to Geralt is only hinted at. In contrast finding Yennefer and discovering what happened to her is a big focus of the first two games and during the hype for Witcher 3 it was presented as a rather big deal. But then you start playing the game itself and Yennefer simply rides up at the end of the prologue chapter without a care in the world while your main quest is to find Ciri... a character you only met in the intro and otherwise has had almost nothing in the way of foretelling during the games.

As someone who read the Witcher books you have a lot of reasons to care about finding Ciri. As someone who simply played the games you have ever reason to care about finding Yennefer and almost none about finding Ciri.