SCP: Containment Failure. (Seekign GM/Players)

Started by Lustful Bride, June 20, 2017, 05:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

-Letter From the 0-5 council to Members of the SCP Foundation and allied organizations. -

'Ladies and Gentlemen, of the SCP and allied groups. Today we stand at the precipice of destruction, of annihilation. The masquerade has been lifted and the public knows of the horrors that sleep under the bed. Even now riots break out across the world, mass suicides are becoming all too common, and people are falling victim to unspeakable horrors in ever increasing numbers. The nightmares that we have all fought, bled, and in some cases died, to contain have been unleashed. With the escape of SCP-682 from site [Redacted], several other breaches happened in containment facilities around the world in what could only be described as a coordinated act. No doubt many of you have figured out that the Chaos Insurgency is behind this, as they seek to destabilize the world and undo everything the foundation has done, and destabilize the world.

The Insurgency has succeeded in destabilizing the world, but the Foundation and its allies are still here, we are still functional, and we are active. Although we might have been forced to expose ourselves, our resolve remains. We will do as we always have, we will hunt the anomalies to the ends of the Earth, we will Secure them from the eyes of the public. We will Contain them within a perfect holding cell. And then we will Protect the public from that which would render us extinct upon this world. It is our duty, our sole mission upon this world. The culmination of centuries worth of effort. We will not allow the candle of Humanity to die out so soon, not over one misstep. '

Set after the evens of the Game SCP Containment Breach. The SCP Foundation, a multinational research group tasked with imprisoning countless horrors, monsters, anomalous objects and things that drive people insane by just looking at them.  For many years they did so with only the occasional problem or threat to humanity escaping. But recently, they had a terrible containment breach,Cabin in the woods style. Nearly the entirety of the staff at the containment site was killed, and many objects and creatures are unaccounted for. But it was only the beginning, as more of them escaped in similar incidents from other facilities.

Deathtolls rose quickly as these creatures went back to their hunting habits, with Humans as their preferred prey. The Foundation was forced to allow itself to be made public, as the governments of the world demanded answers from them. The creatures were too numerous, their effects too violent and visible to simply be swept under the rug. There was nothing to do for it except face the music and enact several UN security protocols and secret deals with various governments to ensure their cooperation. The foundation and other groups needed to act quickly if there was to be any hope of containing the escaped SCPS and newly discovered ones before it was too late. There was nothing to be done about those already dead, and the damage done to the world, but they could at least prevent further damage, but they couldn't do that if they were busy dealing with superfluous politics.

After the foundation became known to the public, there were calls of them needing more accountability to the public, to be subject to inquiries, especially when the public learned that the Foundation used Death Row inmates for inhuman experimentation. But the foundation didn't care what the public thought, those who couldn't even remember their basic multiplication tables, those sheep who would rather buy the latest app than pay their bills. They may not ask for the protection that the Foundation offered, but it would still grant it to them. For the only thing that can scare monsters, is an even bigger monster.

And today, we live in an age of true monsters.

Just an idea that came to me after reading too many SCP articles. Not sure what would be done with it but the concept is still fun to think about.

Lustful Bride

Forgot to add in I'm not looking to run this game. Anyone interested in it should hopefully take the reigns and GM it. :P

CrazyIvan

What sorts of aspects were you looking for the game? This is an interesting concept, as I personally enjoy monster movies and this sort of scenario. Would people be living in small communities, would it be a journey to safety, cities under siege, or something else? I am interested in learning more about what you have for ideas that you want to happen and if you want entirely free-form or lite system.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: CrazyIvan on July 06, 2017, 02:33:42 PM
What sorts of aspects were you looking for the game? This is an interesting concept, as I personally enjoy monster movies and this sort of scenario. Would people be living in small communities, would it be a journey to safety, cities under siege, or something else? I am interested in learning more about what you have for ideas that you want to happen and if you want entirely free-form or lite system.

to be honest, I am not entirely sure. I only thought up the initial concept. :/

I guess it would depend, some towns are just dead, other areas are living in fear and some are relatively untouched. The world is a big place and some of these creatures have hunting patterns that keep them from just slaughtering people indiscriminately.

I suppose the players would be a Mobile Task Force, or perhaps a Canary team, investigating anomalies and trying to bring them down. As well as occasionally running into rival organizations like the Insurgency, or Marshall, Carter, and Dark.  Or helping/being helped by Allied groups such as the UIU, GOC, or 'Nobody'.

Reading through the SCP wiki would likely give some good inspiration for missions, both serious and ludicrous. I haven't thought much else up for this and im not even sure how it would be played.

I leave that up to whoever decides to run the game.

CrazyIvan

Mainly you have thought of the primer or background information that spawns the scenario upon which the adventure is to run. That the world has gone to hell and humanity is left to pick up the pieces of people who meddled where they shouldn't have and your team has to fixed it?

So players would be part of the teams set out to clean up, secure, or otherwise manage the breakout as best they could and keep places and people safe. Not survivors attempting to make it in the world towards civilization and help? I ask as I may consider volunteering for running the game and curious as to know what might be sought after. As a game focused around a MTF like the "Nine-Tailed Fox" team of experts designed to handle this would play different than a bunch of people trying to survive on their own and such. One would be prepared for the challenges and have to have stronger things thrown at them, since they would have the means to defend themselves, while the other plays off more stealth and avoidance.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: CrazyIvan on July 06, 2017, 03:14:43 PM
Mainly you have thought of the primer or background information that spawns the scenario upon which the adventure is to run. That the world has gone to hell and humanity is left to pick up the pieces of people who meddled where they shouldn't have and your team has to fixed it?

Well to make it clearer, we aren't the Chosen Ones, we aren't all that special. We are part of a larger organization helping to bring the rest of the world back to normal. Other factions want to either see humanity dead, just bring down the current establishment, or use the SCP anomalies for their own benefit, even in these troubled times.

Its pretty much the forces of Order vs. Chaos.

QuoteSo players would be part of the teams set out to clean up, secure, or otherwise manage the breakout as best they could and keep places and people safe.
Yes!

QuoteI ask as I may consider volunteering for running the game and curious as to know what might be sought after. As a game focused around a MTF like the "Nine-Tailed Fox" team of experts designed to handle this would play different than a bunch of people trying to survive on their own and such. One would be prepared for the challenges and have to have stronger things thrown at them, since they would have the means to defend themselves, while the other plays off more stealth and avoidance.

Well as I said they could either be a heavy armor team like the Nine Tails or something more recon and rapid response based "Canary Team". It always seems there are tons of games about of people trying to survive, part of the inspiration came from the Marianas trench story and how I found it boring to see things yet again from the unknowing civilian's perspective.

I personally prefer seeing things from the Foundation's perspective and them trying to just keep the world from breaking apart and being trapped forever in a state of madness and mankind being reduced to less than amoeba to our enemies.

Especially because it makes it all the more terrifying when they run into something that even they cannot handle.

CrazyIvan

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 06, 2017, 03:59:49 PM
Well to make it clearer, we aren't the Chosen Ones, we aren't all that special. We are part of a larger organization helping to bring the rest of the world back to normal. Other factions want to either see humanity dead, just bring down the current establishment, or use the SCP anomalies for their own benefit, even in these troubled times.

Its pretty much the forces of Order vs. Chaos.

Right, I more meant that the organization views its mission as to clean up the mess and put back the world the way it ought to be. The team would be one small part of a much larger picture that must not only combat the monsters that wish to see the world return to their own, but humans trying to assist, burn, or otherwise fight SCPs goals.

In essence: order vs chaos exactly as you said!

Well as I said they could either be a heavy armor team like the Nine Tails or something more recon and rapid response based "Canary Team". It always seems there are tons of games about of people trying to survive, part of the inspiration came from the Marianas trench story and how I found it boring to see things yet again from the unknowing civilian's perspective.

I guess from that perspective choosing either a more "Canary Team" or a light heavy armored division would be better. As the challenge curve for the heavy armored team would be much higher, where as the "Canary Team" or light heavy armored could be sent into things that may be over their heads without relying on the god class stuff. Things like the plague doctor would still be challenging, but not simple, unless you wanted to many have the I've got this experience with then sudden drops where that isn't the case.

I personally prefer seeing things from the Foundation's perspective and them trying to just keep the world from breaking apart and being trapped forever in a state of madness and mankind being reduced to less than amoeba to our enemies.

Especially because it makes it all the more terrifying when they run into something that even they cannot handle.

I like it, just trying to think of which system works best for this or if a light system would work better. As combat tends to slow down PbP to almost a crawl at times, which leads to players leaving, and eventual games dying.

TheLaughingOne

hehe! I actually had the write ups of a SCP/Delta Green game thing using the new system.. But im still waiting for my books from the kickstarter, and the note book with it got lost in one of the moves i had:(
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!