Morsi's gone

Started by Kythia, July 03, 2013, 08:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formless

Egypt ... for the time being won't really settle for any president. Simply because they've been suppressed for ages.
Some of them feel jobless if they didn't shout for something. It's sad really. As a neighbouring country , we'd wish they would settle down and solve their differences.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: SakamotoHD on July 16, 2013, 06:33:25 PM
If it did it would be a beautiful orchestrated set of events that would easily throw a dictator in to make some major changes. It all starts with a young president with some ideological views. Throw in the fact he's of a different colour, maybe call him a leftist, and then show every bad thing he did and blow it up 10x.

Then find some huge right-wing, to the point of fascism.. then make him president.

It makes too much sense.. but that's from my crazy imagination.. >.>

Allende and Pinochet, anyone? Actually Chile had landed in major trouble, rocketing unemployment and inflation and internal tensions well before the junta moved in (Nixon and Kissinger being complicit on both counts) so it would have made sense to some when Pinochet said he was saving the nation. Actually they didn't, though they may have saved Chile's economy in the long run...I'd still say Allende was the legit president though, not to mention how many people were murdered in the wake of the coup.

Quote from: Oniya on July 16, 2013, 06:37:00 PM
Depends on how it was presented.  The key to following up a 'failed' leader is to convince the people that you're 'not like him' and that you'll 'get things done.'  Doesn't matter if it's in the US or Egypt.

There are those that say that Kennedy is only idolized because Oswald didn't give him the chance to fail.

Or like this: Kennedy came to mean more in death, as a memory and legend, than he could ever have signified if he had lived into a second period.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 16, 2013, 07:02:13 PM

Or like this: Kennedy came to mean more in death, as a memory and legend, than he could ever have signified if he had lived into a second period.

My mom and grandmom said if he'd not been killed in Dallas it was 50/50 that day that he could get re-elected. He didn't respect some of the deals his dad had engineered and his brother worked quite hard on alienating Lyndon Johnson (who was very influential in the south).

I mean when your Attorney General sends an uncoded message to European embassies that the VP was coming to Europe but was NOT representing the country, that is a ballsy dick move.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 16, 2013, 07:44:14 PM
My mom and grandmom said if he'd not been killed in Dallas it was 50/50 that day that he could get re-elected. He didn't respect some of the deals his dad had engineered and his brother worked quite hard on alienating Lyndon Johnson (who was very influential in the south).

I mean when your Attorney General sends an uncoded message to European embassies that the VP was coming to Europe but was NOT representing the country, that is a ballsy dick move.

Indeed it is.

Anyway, if limited to his first period, cutting out how a possible second term would have played out but including what he might have done in 1964 (much of it would have been tied in with his campaign anyway, for sure), I'd agree that Kennedy was magnified in death beyond what he had achieved in life. He's very impressive as a person, and in rewriting some of the rules for what could be done, but he had not achieved that much at home up til Dallas. Through his violent death he became larger, more of a symbol, in some ways than he had been during those years.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Rogue

Quote from: SakamotoHD on July 16, 2013, 06:33:25 PM
If it did it would be a beautiful orchestrated set of events that would easily throw a dictator in to make some major changes. It all starts with a young president with some ideological views. Throw in the fact he's of a different colour, maybe call him a leftist, and then show every bad thing he did and blow it up 10x.

Then find some huge right-wing, to the point of fascism.. then make him president.

It makes too much sense.. but that's from my crazy imagination.. >.>

off topic

I feel like this is amusing, because the day of Obama's first inauguration I'd been sitting in my history class. We'd been studying dictators, a whole slew of them because of the style of class I was in. Alot of the dictators from South America, of course Lennen and Stalin, Hitler, and a couple others. And we had the inauguration on and my teacher looked at the television and looked at us and kinda smiled. "Alright kids, look familiar?" And all of us knew exactly what she was talking about.  /off topic