[D&D 3.5] A Tale Of Crimson

Started by Sardr, June 24, 2018, 03:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sardr

The midday sun had just passed its zenith, and lunch was being served in the Splintered Stair inn. Being located in the Dock Ward of Waterdeep, it was filled with sailors, gruff day laborers, the odd harlot and more ruffians than one could shake a stick at. As serving girls and boys walked and ran to serve drinks, food and to collect empty tankards and plates, the patrons of the inn called for ale and food, sang, debated loudly or laughed at a crude joke.
A normal afternoon in the inn named for one of its three stairs. Two of them were off to the sides, going up to the second floor. The third was in the middle of the establishment, but only came down three or four feet. The rest of it, as the innkeeper was glad to share, was broken and ruined by a fight between two mighty warriors many years ago. The stairwell was boarded off, and a chandelier sporting a good number of candles hung from the remains of the stairs. The inn smelled of ale, roasted boar and hearthfire. Despite the generally unsavoury clientele, the atmosphere was largely amicable and relaxed.

As servers run by and patrons go and leave, a number of situations attract the attention of anyone paying attention to more than their ale or food.
In one corner, a trio of Chultan sailors are playing a game of craps. They have a stack of coins in the centre, supposedly the money they bet. But there is also a curious brass cube sitting among the money, inscribed with strange patterns and markings. One table over, a halfling dressed in all black sits with a tankard eyeing the game and seems to look at the cube numerous times. He seems to have a sigil tattooed on one of his arms, but you have trouble making it out without straining.

Next to the bar, a city guardsman has just finished talking in a hushed tone with one of the serving girls. She leans on the counter and sobs uncontrollably. The guardsman awkwardly touches her shoulder, seemingly trying to console her. The innkeeper approaches the two, whispers something to the serving girl and nods at the guardsman. As the serving girl turns to walk out, she wipes her nose with the back of her sleeve, tears still running.
At that same moment, a strangely wealthily dressed human enters the inn. He is followed by a bespectacled gnome, carrying a large tome. He stands for a moment, unsure what to do next. An old, gaunt elf dressed in the simple grey vestments and tabard of Ilmater waves him over. As he does so, the elf has a coughing fit and buckles. Two ruffians sitting nearby, a half-orc and a dwarf, discussing something in hushed tones look up and laugh.

On a notice board next to the bar, three pamphlets can be seen. One displays a crude drawing of a man, the word 'missing' and a reward of 200 gold dragons. The guardsman reaches out to it, tears it off and crumples it in his hands. The second pamphlet asks for able bodied people to join the Cellarers' and Plumbers' Guild, good pay and varied and interesting work. A third, strangely large pamphlet calls for adventurers of any kind to reach out to a Pholdric Relnam, details at the bar.

"Cheater!" one of the Chultan sailors calls out. He jumps up, and his chair clatters to the floor. He draws a jet black dagger, encrusted with green gems. One of the others tips the table, sending the money on it clattering to the floor. He attempts to escape as patrons around them scurry around to seize as many coins as they can in the chaos.

OOC

Please put OOC questions, comments and rolls beneath your post in an OOC spoiler like this one.
Should you need any information prior to posting, feel free to shoot me a PM. Should I feel others would benefit from the information, I will find a proper way to share it.

The Splintered Stair inn is located on a side arm of Snail Street, almost in the centre of the Dock Ward.

Should you be interested in joining the fun, please inquire here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=288167.0
Map of Waterdeep:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Our brave heroes:

Lothoris

Sitting at a lower table set in the corner of the room sized for the shorter races Ip'Kak sips at his tankard of spiced ale as he watches the other patrons of the tavern.  Turning his attention from one group of patrons to the other until the strangely well human and his gnome companion enter the room.  Turning his ear to their conversation he attempts to listen to them without being noticed.
Listen check rolled an 11 via dicebot
When the tabe gets turned over and the and the one man threatens the life other man, Ip'Kak jumps out of his chair and scampers over to hide behind the bar. Muttering to himself "These pig skins ruining a perfectly good lunchen." He then looks up to the barkeep "Oi barkeep, Need some help with these ruffians?"

If the barkeep agrees to the help, I will cast entangle targeting the  Chultan sailors.  I would also like to keep an eye on the wealthy human and his companions.

RubySlippers

Walking into the place she looks around for a large reptile near them would be her companion Ip'kak the tattoos largely on her head covered by hair on her forehead the tattoo holy symbol of Waukeen the Goddess of Trade showing as a Thayan she is not 'traditional' that and the ring bearing the symbol for the Lady's College in Silverymoon graduates. She walks in dropping the hood of her adventuring robes she was attractive by any standard there is for women curves a Pear shape with wider hips and perky bosom and wearing what she needs with her largely.

She walks next to his companion animal and sits petting him with a smile and waits for Ip to get done as she looks around the current issues not her concern unless someone makes it her concern.

Ordering some food she gets a regional beer and whatever food is cheap and plentiful they make rich stews and good bread in most places in the city where commoners tread.

Sardr

The wealthily dressed man saunters over to the priest, with his gnome companion in tow.
He exchanges a few words with the priest, before sitting down. Ip'Kak is able to hear some of the exchange
"Thank you for coming on such short notice, Gullan," the priest speaks softly.
Gullan inclines his head. "But of course, anything for an old friend. Tell me what troubles you, Fordan." He gestures to the gnome. "This, by the way is Rundlerook Faireye, my assistant."
The gnome nods and climbs onto a chair dragging his hefty tome with him.
"Charmed," Fordan says. "To get straight to it, Gullan, I need a [inaudible]."
The gnome wipes some crumbs off the table and puts the tome down. Without pause, he opens it and begins thumbing through some pages, before the three are distracted by the uproar across the room.

A serving girl takes Nepthys' order. "Beer and the daily? That'll be the three-meat-stew today, lady. It will be brough to you shortly." The girl hurries off, and increases her pace as the Chultan jumps up.

"You there, sailor!" the guardsman at the bar calls to the Chultan, "stand down!"

The innkeeper, surprised by the combination of events simply stands there and is lost for words. He simply makes a confused face and shrugs at Ip'Kak's question.

Between the guardsman and the kobold with his dinosaur offering help, the Chultan seems to choose the path of least resistance and bolts.

OOC
If anyone chooses to try and catch the Chultan, please make a Dexterity (add Tumble if you have it) check to weave through the crowd and catch him. I'll handwave the distances to be within one round of moving through the crowd jostling each other for the coin or to get out of harm's way (treating it like difficult terrain).

Lothoris

Nodding his draconic head Ip'Kak hops up onto the bar and pulling out a small strand of choking vine and incanting in sylvan he calls forth the powers of nature to cause vines to spring forth from and grapple those in the immediate area.  He then calls out in a calm and commanding, if high pitched voice in common "Officer I think you should apprehend your culprit."

casting entangle to cover the fleeing sailor and the doorway/window to keep him in the building.

Sardr

As the floorboards creak and groan while vines and roots rise up from underneath. The Chultan sailor with the dagger trips and thick vines wind around his legs, keeping him prone. One of the other sailors is kept in place as the third narrowly evades the encroaching flora by hopping up on a chair. The table next to them with the halfling in black trembles as vines wrap around it and reach for the halfling, who tumble backward to evade them and makes for the exit.

The guardsman doesn't waste a moment. He draws his blade and charges towards the Chultan. Hacking at the vines as they come near his feet, he reaches the man and points the tip of his blade at him. "Drop that blade, and yield, man."

The Chultan does exactly that.

OOC
Could I please get a Spot check from both of you?

Lothoris

Roll Result: Lothoris rolled: 1d20, adding 5 to the total
Comment: spot check
Result: 2,
Total: 7

RubySlippers

Nepthys didn't bother acting as the events were more amusing than anything else. It was being handled so no use wasting her Art on petty matters. Of course she was willing to unleash it when it was necessary.

That and he damaged property the guard might not like that.

Sardr

"A wise decision,"The guardsman holds his sword pointed at the Chultan, staring angrily at him. "Obert," he says. "Send for the City Watch."

"Of course, brother," the innkeeper responds, stepping out from behind the counter. He quickly makes a jog for the entrance, his big frame obviously having some trouble with the exercise. "Officers!" Obert calls out to a pair of watchmen passing by. "Your assistance, please."

The guardsman turns to Ip'Kak when the watchmen arrived to arrest the Chultan. "Quick thinking, kobold. Well done." He gives a quick, informal salute and turns to leave.
"Oh, yes, quite," Obert the innkeeper adds. "Who knows, if it weren't for you, I might have had to add an 's' to the name of my inn, haha." Obert looks around to see if anyone got his joke, but quickly realises it might not have been actually that funny. "Please, you eat and drink on the house today. Is there anything else I might be of service with to you?"

Lothoris

Grinning up at the barkeep  "My companion Turok would like a leg of lamb or a few whole chickens perferably raw, and a bottle of rum for the table?" I ask the barkeep as I sit back down at the table with Nepthys.

Sardr

Obert nods and smiles at Ip'Kak's request for meat. "Certainly, master kobold," he says. At the mention of rum for the table, Obert looks from Ip'Kak to Nepthys and back.
"She's with you, then?" he asks hesitantly. "No trouble. I will tell the girls not to charge you either, miss."
Obert scurries back behind his bar and into the kitchen behind it.

Meanwhile, the Chultan is cuffed by the watchmen, as the guardsman walks out.
"Oi! What's this?" one of the watchmen calls out. He holds up a small brass cube. "That looks far too precious to be owned by the likes of you, scum."

Lothoris

RubySlippers

"Wait? Let me see that it looks familiar.," she walks up and looks at the cube.

"You steal from me, is this the way you handle the law, if this was my country we would enslave you if you were lucky and if not cut your head off your neck. If I wore the red robes I would likely have slain you outright in the most painful way possible as well. Likely here the law will be far kinder than in Thay. It was a gift from my parents and once owned by my grandfather on my mothers side if I recall gained from some expedition or another.," she reaches out for the cube she won't press the issue if they want to hold it until she can prove its hers she will not bother and go her own way on the matter since its not hers, if they give it up she will put in in a pocket for now. She needs to examine it and such before she could use it if it is magical.

occ: Sorry real life but GM can you post our characters in the first post so we can more easily reference them?

Sardr

OOC

Could I get a bluff check for Nepthys, please?

Characters sheet links added to the first post. :)

RubySlippers

Roll Result: DianeK rolled: 1d20, adding 2 to the total
Comment: Bluff Check
Result: 7,
Total: 9

::)

Sardr

The watchman raises an eyebrow as he looks at Nepthys.
"Is this yours, goodlass?" He eyes her curiously. "You've any way of proving it, before I hand it over?"

The other watchman gives the Chultan a good shaking. "Where'd you get that cube, eh? Took it from the goodlas, did ye?"

"I foun' it, 's all," says the Chultan more annoyed than scared. "Jus' foun' it roun' 'ere somewhere. Ah may be a lotta things, bu' pickpocket ain't one o' 'em."

RubySlippers

"No sadly, it was a gift from my parents said to learn more about it, I suspect one of the tests to join the Red Wizards someday. I'm of the merchanting side of the society and well won't press charges if he returns it to me but I might have dropped it although unlikely. However its been a busy day visiting your fine city I'll give him the benefit of possibly telling the truth I'm not one of those vicious Thayan people he is in enough trouble it seems without adding possible theft. And sailors tend to roughhouse at times. My friend who just aided you will confirm I have magical items of my own craft such as this which provides me a mystical defense of my person when attacked this item likely is a simple item like this nothing earthshaking an ancestor made when young.," she suspects its not simple but won't let on.

She then directs this to her friend as her 'reference' he seems to be on good terms and knows her she also isn't prone to lying but well ... he never saw it before but is only a little brass cube it can't be that valuable.

Sardr

The watchman's eyes narrow as Nepthys spins her tale.
"Right. I think I'll hold on to this for a bit. You can report to the nearest guardpost to fill out a form to claim ownership. As for you," the watchman says, turning to the Chultan, "it's off to the Magister with you."

The two watchmen pick the man up under his shoulders, and pull him out of the inn, feet dragging on the floor. As they exit, the Chultan starts protesting and pleading, which becomes more indistinct as they go on their way.

Slowly, peace returns to the inn. Conversation is picked up again, men and women call for ale and food, people laugh and it seems as if this is some sort of daily occurrence here.

OOC
Apologies about the delay. I'm in the middle of moving, so I respond rather slowly at times.

Will Ip'Kak be trying to listen in on the conversation of the human and the gnome again? If so, could I have another Listen check, please?

Lothoris

Ip'kak returns to listening (14 on listen check) in on the previous conversation, motioning for Nepthys to pretend they are talking when she returns to her seat.

Sardr

OOC
I'm moving and have internet connection there. It might take up to this weekend for things to be up and running. Apologies for the delay!

Lothoris