The Labyrinth: Next Generation (Recruitment: Very actively recruiting)

Started by LamentingQuill, September 15, 2013, 06:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 19, 2013, 02:22:20 AM
Jareth used shape shifting to spy on Sarah throughout her life after she defeated him. His preferred alternate form was an owl, which has some connections in mythology to dreams as made evident by Jareth's powers to control illusions and fabricate dream worlds through his crystal balls which is a large part of the movie.
Labyrinth Wiki

The notion that Seelie were good and Unseelie were evil is actually a christianized element that doesn't really reflect the more basic nature of the Fey. The Unseelie, and all Fey, are often seen as personifications of forces of nature it was not an uncommon belief that they could take on another form. Ravens, horses, owls, dogs and even great cats. While some were tied to more esoteric concepts like storms, trees, flowers, etc; the Unseelie were often connected with things like death, decay, winter and nightmares. This is why they were considered evil, not because they were inherently bad. All Fey like all mortals were both good and bad in varying measures and there was just as much good in the Unseelie court as there was evil in the Seelie court. This didn't really jive with christianity as it took root in England (which at one time perceived all these sort of being as angels who had chosen to remain neutral during the initial battle between Lucifer and God and remained on earth instead of going to heaven or hell.)

Furthermore shape shifters, or werewolves in particular, have a number of basic origins. One of which is tied to celtic warriors who would wear the skins of animals as armor believing it gave them power. This is both a historical explanation of the were and one of the given explanations for how many Fey were able to shape shift. For example the Roane who were able to change into seals through a second skin that they could put on (a not uncommon trait for many animal-based Fey)

Another more folklorish explanation contends that all shape shifters were the result of humans who had interbred with the Fey, the result of which could create a very human looking child who had unusual gifts or magical powers but was also more intimately tied to nature which explains the stories about werewolves being affected by the cycles of the moon.

As Unseelie Prince he would be half breed. As i said, the Unseelie were not pure blooded Fey, and in this case his bloodline would likely be tied to a werewolf mother or father. As such he would possess the same abilities as those of his lineage tho changed to reflect the more monstrous nightmares that were commonly held to be servants and assassins of the Unseelie (the Slaugh). This is why i choose a more sinister looking sabertooth tiger, implying both a connection to the werewolf race in your initial post as well as the darker notions of the Unseelie.

Anyway, i am not trying to derail your thread by any means. I was just explaining why i chose that particular background and character as it fit it not only with the original folklore that inspired the Labyrinth but also tied into the mythology surrounding both the Fey, the Unseelie and the many races you added to this concept.

I do remember the owl bit now, I will allow fey to transform into birds. Thank you for reminding me.

Thorneblood

Ok....
So a larger version of a nightingale would be acceptable?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I am weary of planning and toiling in the crowded hives of men; Heart weary of building and spoiling and spoiling and building again; And I long for the dear old river where I dreamed my youth away; For a dreamer lives forever, And a toiler dies in a day.

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 19, 2013, 02:54:43 AM
Ok....
So a larger version of a nightingale would be acceptable?

Pretty, I'll accept that.

Angie

Just means I (as Jareth) get to do a little more awesome.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Chaosfox

I'm sorry Jerth's true awesomeness come from the fact that  fucking David Bowie played him :P Though everything else is still pretty awesome XD
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

Thorneblood

At one point Jim Henson and CO. sought out both Michael Jackson (Which would have been weird) and Sting (Which would have been equally awesome) to play the role of Jareth.

I find it hilarious that this movie was meant to be more light hearted and comedic as opposed to the Dark Crystal, which they felt was very dark. Funny, because this movie is essentially about an older man trying to seduce a younger woman by kidnapping her brother and forcing her to escape his dungeon. A few subtle shifts in the story and this becomes more akin to Erotica.

Anyway.....i found the manga Return to Labyrinth here. Enjoy.
I am weary of planning and toiling in the crowded hives of men; Heart weary of building and spoiling and spoiling and building again; And I long for the dear old river where I dreamed my youth away; For a dreamer lives forever, And a toiler dies in a day.

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 19, 2013, 12:14:20 PM
At one point Jim Henson and CO. sought out both Michael Jackson (Which would have been weird) and Sting (Which would have been equally awesome) to play the role of Jareth.

I find it hilarious that this movie was meant to be more light hearted and comedic as opposed to the Dark Crystal, which they felt was very dark. Funny, because this movie is essentially about an older man trying to seduce a younger woman by kidnapping her brother and forcing her to escape his dungeon. A few subtle shifts in the story and this becomes more akin to Erotica.

Oh I know, but David Bowie was always their top choice and they were thrilled when he said yes. Good thing too, he did a fantastic job.

Angie

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 19, 2013, 12:14:20 PM

It's almost like how they wanted Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos to play the leads in Battlestar Galatica. Then someone got the bright idea to call and ask them, even though "oh, they'll never say yes." And yet they did.

LamentingQuill

LamentingQuill

Lots to choose from, let's get some princes and princesses :D

Tamhansen

I've got an idea for a dark brooding character. I'd like to apply as the prince of the dark angels.

Even have a soundtrack for him, starting with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnaRHqtrDQ
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Katataban on September 21, 2013, 03:56:26 PM
I've got an idea for a dark brooding character. I'd like to apply as the prince of the dark angels.

Even have a soundtrack for him, starting with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnaRHqtrDQ

I'll put your name down then for the dark angel's prince ^.^

LamentingQuill

At least one more prince and two more princesses and I will open up the OOC with a character sheet, followed by the Character profile thread.

Thorneblood

Looking forward to it, perhaps you could add that now for those of us who are already involved so we can get started and give you a head start on approval/editing of the offered characters?

On/Off

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Thorneblood on September 22, 2013, 02:32:14 PM
Looking forward to it, perhaps you could add that now for those of us who are already involved so we can get started and give you a head start on approval/editing of the offered characters?

Of course darling, I will work on that this evening.

SnowMan

Chaosfox

There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

LamentingQuill

LamentingQuill

I will have the CS template to you all tomorrow afternoon, some drama went down at home and I am just feeling really down right now, I really can't write anything at all in this state.

Thank you for your patience, my friends, you will have the CS tomorrow afternoon. Bare with me *hugs*

Angie

Patience, my dear, is quite the virtue. I had once waited years for Sarah's hand, I can afford to wait a few more hours for the moment to be perfect.

LamentingQuill

Managed to push something out with a little determination, now I am going to go enjoy a nice relaxing bubble bath and just mellow out.

Name:

Race:

Position (Prince, Princess or commonor):

Appearance (Picture is great, description is acceptable):

Personality:

History (Keep it brief):

Interests:

Ons:

Sexual-

Non-sexual-

Offs:

Sexual-

Non-sexual-

Special abilites (Please check with me first):

Fun facts (Just interesting little things about your character):

Tamhansen

Quote from: LamentingQuill on September 22, 2013, 10:17:38 PM
I will have the CS template to you all tomorrow afternoon, some drama went down at home and I am just feeling really down right now, I really can't write anything at all in this state.

Thank you for your patience, my friends, you will have the CS tomorrow afternoon. Bare with me *hugs*

Hope you'll feel better soon hun. As for us, we can wait
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Katataban on September 23, 2013, 03:36:23 AM
Hope you'll feel better soon hun. As for us, we can wait

One post up, hun. I posted the CS template ;)

People may post their profiles here and I will review them, I will get back to everyone ASAP as soon as I see them. I will PM you if anything needs adjusting and we'll get everything all tip top shape in a way that will please you just as much as me :)

Izabella

Is there truth in emotion or is it so blatantly false that it moves and stretches us to become the monster tomorrow that we foster today?

Thorneblood

Saeros BloodSong   
Forgotten   
Male
Unseelie Sidhe

Prince

BloodSong Form

Personality:
Confident and charming, sensual and suave, the Lord of Seduction is known and honored by the Unseelie Court for all that he offers his people, and all they have gained under his rule.

History
Like all those over which he rules, Saedis was born of the night in all its splendor. A child of lust, a god of fertility, his birth had set him upon a single path and the power he wielded swelled to encompass all of the Unseelie Court. Some came to call him the Lord of Seduction, for it was in his silken voice that his greatest power lie. With but a song he could turn the fires of anger into flames of passion, with a simple six stringed guitar he could reshape every bitter memory into one of rapturous joy.

None amongst his court fear him, and few envy, for his mere presence stokes the lustful fires of all that come to hear his song. Orgies and pleasures the likes of which few mortals may ever dream are known as common amongst his kin. Their very numbers swell with new birth, even amongst the dreaded slough. Sexual nightmares and twisted fantasies are born and shaped by the moon kissed darkness, willing to come to his call and sate their carnal delights.

Interests
Music
Dance
Art

Turns on:
Life
Pleasure

Turns offs:
Death
Suffering

Powers:

Alternate Form: BloodSong Nightingale
A larger relative of the nightingale, Saeros is able to shift into this form at will.

Telepathic Link:
Saeros can form a telepath link between groups, a skill he largely uses to direct the Passions and hold intimate conversations.

Gift of Song
A natural entertainer and musician, Saeros can sing heart breaking songs to honor the dead or lustful symphonies that fire the blood.

The Passions:
A group of NPC Unseelie Princesses that serve as Saeros's exotic dancers, skilled in Tantric Arts. (Use as you desire)

Fun Facts
Ticklish

On/Off