Adrift in Space (Closed to New Players)

Started by kckolbe, October 16, 2013, 08:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Be warned, this is a long ass post.

To everyone checking out this game for the first time, welcome.  Hopefully you were brought here by the delightful ad that Silver created.  To everyone that came here from the interest check, welcome back.  I'm glad you're still with us.  This is a recruiting thread for a large group system game using many elements from Battlestar Galactica.  It might be more accurate to say that the game is inspired by the series as opposed to following them, as much of the lore is glossed over or edited for the sake of game mechanics or plot.

As with the interest check, I will again post a FAQ.  Also in accordance with the interest check, most of these questions will not have been previously asked at all, much less frequently.  Once again, I ask for your forgiveness.  Some of this is copied from the interest check.

FAQ

1. You said this is a system game.  Which system is being used? This game will be using a modified version of Green Ronin's Song of Ice and Fire.  It is a simple system to learn.  Those of you who have played in my recent Hogwarts games (or the one being run by RogueofTimeyWimeyStuff) should be familiar with the basic mechanics.  There are a few more in depth mechanics (such as Fleet Management and Mass Warfare), but they only apply to a small number of characters, so those players wishing to avoid mastering a system can easily do so.

2. So what is the focus of this game? The PCs are part of a large fleet that very well may be the last human civilization.  They have limited fuel, food, fighters, people...everything.  They have no functioning government.  PCs will have to care about resources, political maneuverings, the defense of their fleet from the cylons, and eventually re population and the search for a new home.  Resources were a minor plot hook in the BSG series.  Only twice are they mentioned.  Both times they are critical, and both times a new source miraculously appears by the end of the episode.  No one faces serious consequences (or even a loss of reputation) for allowing such vital resources to go empty.  That will not be the case here.

3. Are you making any changes to the setting? Yes.  Already I have added in the factor of civilian defense forces and military support ships, which changes the dynamic a bit and makes the two factions closer to even.  In addition, I am adding other forms of combat craft, though most of these additions are mentioned in other sources and would be more expansion than a real change.  The word "frak" does not exist, at least in the way it was used in the show (I cringed whenever they said frak).  I am open to other suggestions, particularly those that make for good plot elements.  I care more about the tone of the game than the details leading up to it.

4. Are canon characters allowed? All characters will be OC.  Canon characters will not exist as PCs or NPCs, nor do I want any connections to major canon characters.

5. Are cylon PCs allowed? Yes.  PCs may play cylon characters that are aware of their nature or unaware, but PM me any concept if you are considering playing one.  I want it to be a secret. (Note: I have already received a couple of PMs expressing interest in cylon sleepers, which I am glad to see)

6. Speaking of characters, what kinds are you looking for? Great question, and I'm glad that I pretended you asked!  If the character type existed in Battlestar Galactica, then it likely exists here.  I have put together a list of what I consider to be important roles for this story.  Some of them I am willing to have as NPCs, but the majority will need to be filled by PCs.  A few roles require a PC in order to allow the kind of game I want.  Towards the bottom of the post I'll throw up a list of the required and the desired.

7. Should we submit any kind of character sheets? You may, and I think it is a good idea, though it would only be a rough look at the character designed to let other players know what they are dealing with and what idea you are going for.  At this point, I have not posted a significant portion of the rules, so we won't get too much in detail yet.

8. "When" will the game start? Shortly after the first wave of attacks.  The fleet will have had enough time to gather, but that is about it.  I will provide some recommended actions for chief decision makers and a quick status report, but how things develop will largely be on the PCs.

9. I noticed "CAW" (Commander, Air Wing) mentioned.  What is the difference between CAG and CAW? The CAG is responsible for all combat and combat support craft assigned to a carrier.  The title of CAW is used for the one responsible for all combat and combat support craft in the strike fleet.  This distinction is only present when multiple carriers are assigned to the same fleet.  Note: Technically, shuttles and troop transports could also fall under the CAG, but only if the CAG convinced the commander that their participation was necessary for a specific engagement.  For day to day situations, shuttles and transport craft are under the control of the CMG (Commander, Mobility Group)

10. Anything cool you'd like an excuse to brag about? Why yes, there is!  One of the reasons I chose this rule system (other than being amazingly
adaptable) was that it contains rules for both mass battles AND...designing your own fleet!  If you haven't played Song of Ice and Fire, please trust me when I say that House creation is the coolest thing about that system, and I think players will enjoy building their own fleet and setting their own stage.

11. Anything else? Yes.  I would really like 1-2 co-GMs that can be party to plot elements and handle some NPCs.  Silver has already volunteered as a co-GM.  I am willing to accept one other.

12. Where can I find the rules?  In the next post.  Again, these are just the basic character creation rules, and does not include Merits and Flaws.

13. So where's the list of "required/desired" characters? Right here.  Below is a list of 6 required characters and an assortment of desired characters.  The required ones are just that.  I will not start the game without PCs filling all of these roles. 

The desired list contains other character types that I think belong in the game, and that the game would have difficulty succeeding long term without.  Though longer, not all of these character types are mandatory for me to start the game with, and I am willing to have a percentage of them filled with NPCs.  Note that it is possible for a character to fill multiple desired roles, or a desired role and a required role, but no character can fill multiple required roles.  There is a bit of redundancy on these, and that is largely to prevent the loss of 1-2 players shutting down the game.

Required Roles:
Commander of the Battlestar Strike Fleet (BSF) (1): This role is for the highest status military member.  In BSG, there was only one military ship.  This will not be the case in my game.  Still, one commander will have overall responsibility for all military vessels, and is a major responsibility. PC Required (Currently filled by Kythia)

"Second in Command" (1): This position is in quotes because I am willing to be a bit flexible as to how it is filled.  It can be the XO of the main battlestar, or the commander of a lesser battlestar (depending on player choices during fleet building-more on that later-there may be a second battlestar in game).  However, it is important to me that there be a second military member deemed capable of command, just in case the overall commander is killed, arrested, overthrown, or doing one of his subordinates in a storage area.  PC Required (Filled)

"Third in Command" (1): As with the second, the name is in quotes for a reason.  I don't literally need the character to be third in command, and there is a lot of flexibility as to who this role could be filled by.  What I do need is a character of significant military importance (CAW, ship commander, maintenance commander or even civilian defense force leader, or maybe something else) as a PC. (Filled-multiple)

Politically Minded Characters (3): At the moment, I don't intend have someone as the "next in line."  I like the idea that the attack was so catastrophic that the line of succession didn't continue far enough to determine who would lead (the US line only goes to about 16 people).  I need at least two characters who have interest in being at the top, calling the shots, and a real possibility of getting there.  As with the commander position, whoever is at the top will face major decisions, arguably larger than that of the commander.  PC Required (One spot filled by Scribbles, 1 remaining)

Desired Roles:
XO (1): Likely filled by the "Second in Command" role, but if not, this is a character of significant importance. (Currently filled by arkhos)

Subordinate Ship Captains/Commanders (1): Between civilian and military ships, there will be a number of positions here, and I don't expect all of them to be filled.  However, the person in control of a significant resource or significant military force has both significant sway as well as a number of threats to concern oneself with. (Filled-Muse)

Ship XOs (1): While the primary battlestar XO is covered above, any other military ships will have a second in command, and there is potential for such a person to find oneself involved in any number of schemes. (Filled-PrettyinPink)

The Scientist (2): There are going to be a lot of weird questions asked throughout the game, and while some will undoubtedly fall to trusted advisers, some will just be lobbed out there for anyone to try to figure out.  As Baltar proved, figuring out a couple of important matters can earn one a lot of prestige. (Both spots open)

Cylon Skin Job (?): I should call this a required role, but there seems to be enough interest in this that I'm not overly concerned.  (One role filled by [CENSORED])

CAG/CAW (1-2): Each ship that contains combat craft has a CAG (though smaller carriers may combine these duties with that of the commander or XO).  The CAG is responsible for the training and scheduling of pilots, coordination with maintenance, and ensuring the execution of routine patrols, as well as preparing draft strategies for major operations. (Currently filled by OrangeMarmalade)

Maintenance/Engineering Commander (1): Maintenance is often behind the scenes unless referring to Vipers, but the number of systems on the ship that could result in the almost inevitable death of its passengers is staggering.  For the purposes of this game, all maintenance issues fall under the direction of the largest squadron on any battlestar, the maintenance squadron.  The CMS (Commander, Maintenance Squadron) is responsible for keeping Vipers and Raptors ready to fly, air breathable, and water drinkable.  They also have to ensure that the ship stays air tight as well as deal with the minor, day to day upkeep of runways, engines, and even toilets.  It's a lot to keep track of. (Filled-Galanthor)

Maintenance/Engineering Squadron Members (Multiple): Without the maintainers, the commander would have little to do.  One of two particularly important fields for those looking to play enlisted members. (One spot filled-Caela)

Pilots (Multiple): You can't act like you weren't expecting this one.  I will say that until fleet building is done, it is difficult to predict which aircraft will be available to pilot, but you can count on there being shuttles as well as at least a couple of types of combat aircraft, both civilian and military. (2 roles filled)

Mobility Group Commander (1): Shuttles, troop transports, small cargo runs between different ships...stuff like that is beneath the CAG, but still vital to the long term sustaining ability of a fleet.

Current Roles Filled and Remaining-Military:
Commander, Battlestar Strike Fleet: Kythia
XO, (Main ship): arkhos
Commander, Air Wing: OrangeMarmalade
Commander, (Second ship): Muse
XO, Second Ship: PrettyinPink
Commander, Maintenance Squadron (Main ship): Empty
Commander, Mobility Wing (All mil ships): Empty
Commander, Mission Support Group: Empty
Pilots: Scribbles, HeavenAbove
Support Staff: Caela-flight doctor, (more spots available)

Current Roles Filled and Remaining-Civilian:
Presidential Contenders: Scribbles (2 more required!, one being worked)
Scientist: RubySlippers
Doctor: RedEve
Colonial Defense Commander:  Chaeronea
Civilian Ship Captain: Empty
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

kckolbe

Here are the rules for character creation, and a template for character sheets will follow.

Basic Character Creation

There are 19 abilities.  Characters start with points based off of their age (see chart below this paragraph).  Raising an ability from 2 to 3 costs 1 point.  Each raise after that costs 3 points.  As I've said before, older characters will have more points, but we'll get into those details later.

Starting XP:
Min age-29 15/6, 2 DP, no flaws required
30-41  18/8, 2 DP, 1 flaw required
42-51  21/10, 2 DP, 2 flaws, at least one of which must be from Agility, Athletics, Endurance, or Reflexes
52-60  25/16, 1 DP, 3 flaws, at least two of which must be from Agility, Athletics, Awareness, Cunning, Endurance, Fighting, Marksmanship, or Reflexes
61-67  28/18, 0 DP, 3 flaws, at least two of which must be from Agility, Athletics, Awareness, Cunning, Endurance, Fighting, Marksmanship, or Reflexes

*Agility - Measures dexterity, nimbleness, and flexibility.  Is used for ranged weapon damage and combat defense (how hard you are to hit)

*Athletics - Physical fitness, coordination, training, raw muscle.  Used for combat defense

*Awareness - A measure of how accurate your senses and perception are and how quickly you respond to changes in your environment.  Used for perception/sense motive checks.

*Cunning - Encapsulates intelligence, intellect, and the application of collected knowledge.  Used for intrigue defense and a number of handy skills.

*Deception - The ability to lie or deceive.

*Endurance - a measure of your physical well being, health and hardiness.  Determines starting health

*Fighting - Ability fight unarmed or with hand held weapons.

*Knowledge - general understanding and the world about you.  Used for any lore test and navigation.

*Marksmanship - Skill with ranged weapons and to use them accurately in combat.

*Mechanics - Your ability to understand and interact with technology, to repair or improve upon it

*Medical - Your understanding of accumulated medical knowledge, from applying a band-aid to open heart surgery

*Persuasion - Ability to manipulate emotions and beliefs in others

*Reflexes - Your basic reaction speed.

*Status - Your standing in military or civilian society, the authority you have over others.  Used for intrigue defense and is based on position in society

*Stealth - The ability to move about unseen or unheard

*Survival - The ability to get by in hostile or unforgiving environments.  Rarely useful on a ship, but when valuable, is arguably the most valuable.

*Thievery - Pick pocketing, casing a place, picking a lick, escaping from the brig

*Warfare - The ability to manage a battlefield, from tactical commands, to long term strategy, and the ability to issue commands for subordinate units to follow

*Will - Your mental fortitude.  Determines starting composure.

Each ability has a list of specialties.  Each character has 6 points to invest in abilities, with each rank in a specialization costing 1 point.  The number of ranks in a specialization can not exceed the ranks in an ability, though this is never an issue.

Agility
*Acrobatics: Perform flips, tumbles, balance, somersaults, or other acrobatic maneuvers
*Dodge: Use Agility test to replace Combat Defense
*Zero-G: Gravity is not required for you.

Athletics
*Climb: Able to move up or down 1 yard per degree of success up to movement rate without consequence
*Jump: Aids in tests that require one to jump
*Run: Aids in long distance runs, or increasing movement rate
*Strength: Aids in tests where physical strength is required
*Throw: Used for objects not designed to be thrown

Awareness
*Empathy: Determine true intentions
*Notice: Perception, the ability to note small details
*Gossip: Knowledge of the rumors/gossip going around

Cunning
*Decipher: To determine true meaning of coded messages or messages in another language
*Logic: Figure out puzzles of logic or webs of intrigue
*Memory: Recall useful information when the time is needed
*Administration: The art of resource management

Deception
*Act: Pretending to be someone other then you really are (Cylon Skin Jobs!)
*Bluff: Lying or hiding true intentions
*Cheat: Manipulate chance into your advantage
*Disguise: Concealing ones identity visually

Endurance
*Resilience: Better able to resist physical hazards
*Stamina: Better chance to recover from injuries and wounds

Fighting (Axe, Blunt, Fencing, Longblades, Shortblade, Unarmed) You are skilled at using whatever you specialize in

Knowledge
*Academic Specialty: Choose one, and your knowledge in this area of expertise is better then normal.  This specialty can be taken multiple times, each time is a new academic discipline
*Astronavigation: You are skilled at navigating space, and to come up with the means to plot FTL jumps
*Research: Searching for the answers needed

Marksmanship  (Capital Ship, Handgun, Heavy Weapons, Primitive, Rifles, Starfighter, Thrown) You are skilled in whatever weapon or firearm you have
a specialty in, from a bow and arrow, to the rail guns on a Battlestar

Medical
*Diagnosis: Determine what is wrong with a patient, gaining bonuses to future medical rolls
*Treat Ailment: Treat a patient suffering from sickness, poison, or some other hazardous effect
*Treat Injury: How to speed a injury onto a natural recovery

Mechanics
*Computer use: You are skilled in programming and using computers
*Demolitions: You can make things go boom, without going boom yourself
*Jury Rig: It's crude, and probably won't work more then one or two tries, but you can bring about a mechanical effect for a short time, ie McGuyver it
*Repair: You can make lasting repairs to a mechanical device or vehicle
*Craft: The ability to take theoretical knowledge into a practical application and make something

Persuasion (Bargain, Charm, Convince, Incite, Intimidate, Seduce, Taunt) You are skilled in manipulation emotions in the specialty you choose

Reflexes
*Capital Ship Piloting: Skill in piloting ships from the size of transports to Battlestars
*Ground Vehicle Piloting: Motorcycles, cars, trucks, speedboats, typical terrestrial vehicles
*Quickness: Reflexes and reactions are even quicker then normal
*Starfighter Piloting: Aircraft to Vipers, to Raptors, this is your skill in flying these vehicles

Status
*Bureaucracy: With the application of power, one has to deal with bureaucracy, fortunately, you are good at it
*Politics: Status is authority and power, and politics is the application of authority and power.  You are skilled in using what authority you have and making the most of it
*Reputation: You are able to make yourself seem and appear more important then your actual position warrants

Stealth
*Blend in: You can make yourself seem part of the background, unimportant and unnoticed
*Sneak: You are adept in moving in the shadows, unseen and unheard

Survival
*Animal Handling: You are skilled at dealings with animals
*Forage: You are skilled at gathering edible food and water
*Hunt: You are skilled at hunting animals down
*Orientation: You are skilled at making your way about without getting lost
*Track: You are skilled at following tracks in the wild

Thievery
*Disable Device: Defeating security systems is your skill
*Open Lock: From a simple lock, to a complex safe, you know how to open things people don't want open

*Sleight of Hand: You are skilled at using your hands to misdirect
*Steal: Picking Pockets, slicing open coats, you are skilled at liberating
from a person objects they want to keep

Warfare
*Command: In the fog of war, you are able to make sense and keep people following the plan
*Strategy: You gain an edge to put your enemies at a disadvantage
*Tactics: Strategy puts you in position, Tactics enable you to execute and
make the best of the situation

Will
*Coordinate: You stand a better chance in aiding others with their test outcome
*Discipline: It takes a iron will to stick to one's actions, discipline is the core of that
*Dedication: Remaining true to your beliefs

EDIT (17 Oct): Added "Gossip" as a specialty to Awareness ability
EDIT (18 Oct): Added starting xp by age

Destiny Points
Being heroes of the story, each and every character has a Destiny, the ability to shape events and outcomes.  This is represented by Destiny Points.  Every character has them.   Destiny points can be used in one of three ways to affect the game, 1) Spend 2) Burn, and three 3) Invest.

Spending
You can spend a point to have affect some small outcome.  Points spent this way are recovered when the next chapter of the story is available.  The following is an example of spending a Destiny Point.

*Gain +1B die for a roll; this die can exceed the normal limits on bonus dice
*Convert one bonus die to a test die
*Remove -1D penalty *Bestow a -1D penalty on an opponent
*Take and extra lesser action
*Ignore Armor Penalty for 1 round
*Improve or worsen a character's social disposition by 1 step (for SocialCombat)
*Negate another character's spent destiny point (but not Burnt)
*Activate or Ignore an environmental quality
*Add minor story telling detail in characters favor, such a small clue, shoddy security system, a pistol full on armor piercing rounds

Burning
Burning a Destiny Point allows a character to effect a scheme in a major way.  Burning a Destiny Point removes that Destiny Point from the character pool, not to be regained at the end of the Chapter.   Only by spending XP, or as a GM reward, can the point be reclaimed.   The following are examples of what a character can do by burning a Destiny Point.

*Convert all bonus dice into test dice
*Add +5 to test result
*Succeed one test as if you rolled the Difficulty exactly
*Remove all Damage from injuries (but not Wounds)
*When defeated, you decide the consequences of your defeat
*Transform another character's successful test into a failed test
*Automatically compel another character in an intrigue
*Remove the penalties for a Drawback for one chapter
*Negate the effects of another character's burned Destiny Point
*Avoid certain death (Laura Roslin being cured of Cancer in Season 2.5)
*Add a significant detail to a scene that moves the story along in your favor.

Investing
Characters can invest their Destiny Point in a Merit.  Merits are like Feats, or special abilities, bonuses for the character to give them an edge in the game.  Merits do not need to be permanent.  At the end of each Chapter, a character can turn one Merit back in for the Destiny Point back.

The following groups of Merits are in the game.  They are explained below.

*Ability Merits: Expand on options using an Ability or slight advantages to that ability.
*Fate Merits: Qualities that reveal the heavy hand of Fate in your life and future.
*Martial Merits: Provide advantages or a variety of combat-related abilities
*Social Merits: Provide advantages in intrigues and social combat

Here is a list of each Qualities, and a small description.  For more detail,let me know.  Qualities with a * by them maybe taken more then once, with a different focus chosen each time.

Ability Merits
Connections*: Choose a location (City or Ship), and gain +1D on all Awareness tests about news and rumors for that location.

Dexterous: Reroll 1's on Agility tests.

Eidetic Memory: Prerequisite - Cunning 2 (Memory 1B).  Memory Bonus dice are now Test dice

Evaluation: Prerequisite - Knowledge 3 or Mechanics 3.  Test Cunning to gain an intuitive insight on an unknown object or piece of equipment.

Expertise*: Gain +1D with one Specialty.

Face in the Crowd: Prerequisite Stealth 3 (Blend In 1B).  Blend in is a free action, also add Cunning Ranks as a bonus to Stealth (Blend in) tests.

Furtive: Prerequisite Stealth 3 (Sneak 1B). Reroll 1's, and add Agility ranks to all Sneak tests.

Gangster: Reroll 1's on all Thievery tests.

Gifted Athlete*: Prerequisite Athletics 3.  Choose an Athletic Specialty, convert bonus dice to test dice.

Gifted Teacher: Prerequisite Knowledge 4 Persuasion 3.  Using Persuasion Test (DC 9), grant bonus test dice for a Knowledge test to "students".  Number of dice granted depends on the Persuasion test.  Students may save these bonus dice to use in the future, making a Challenging (9) Cunning (Memory) test to recall 1B dice.  Once spent, the bonus dice are gone.

Gifted Trainer: Prerequisite Ability 4 (Specialty 1B) Persuasion 3.  Same as Gifted Teacher, but for use with the character's Specialty.  A Persuasion test grants bonus dice to that Specialty.  It is the same Challenging (9) Cunning (Memory) test to recall bonus dice as for Gifted Teacher.

Hardy: Prerequisite Endurance 3 (Stamina 1B). Ignore -1 or -1D for Endurance tests to recover from Injuries or Wounds.

Keen Senses: Prerequisite Awareness 3. Reroll 1's for all Awareness tests, and add Cunning rank to Awareness tests.

Knowledge Focus*: Prerequisite Knowledge 3, 2B in specialty.  Choose a Knowledge Specialty, bonus dice are now test dice for tests with that Specialty.

Miracle Hands: Prerequisite Medical 3.  Upon successfully making a Medical (Diagnose) test, gain +1B for each degree of success for your next Medical (Treat Ailment) or Medical (Treat Injury) test.  Once per test, a character may exchange 2B dice for one test die (+1D).

Sinister: Gain +2 to Combat Defense or Intrigue Defense for the first round.

Talented*: Choose an Ability, gain +1 for all tests with that Ability.

Tech Head*: Prerequisite Mechanics 3.  Choose a Mechanics Specialty, reroll 1's for that test, and also add Cunning Rank as a bonus to tests.

Fate Merits
Cadre: Prerequisite Persuasion 4. You gain a cadre of ten men that are unwavering loyal to you (6 points for creation).  This unit will
automatically rally to you at the start of each skirmish until destroyed.  If destroyed, the character looses this Merit and the Destiny Point invested
in it.

Cohort: Prerequisite Status 3, Persuasion 3.  Create another character using character generation (-3 ability points, -2 specialties, 1 DP), save Status
must be at least -1 to yours.  This character is your loyal follower and follows your commands to the best of their ability.  If the cohort dies, you lose this Merit and the Destiny Point invested in it.  When your Cohort is by your side, increase Combat and Intrigue Defense by 2.

Destiny: It only requires you to spend a Destiny Point, instead of burning a Destiny Point, to choose the outcome of being defeated.

Famous: For Persuasion tests involving Charm or Seduction, Charm and Seduction dice up to your Status Rank are converted to test dice.  You also have a minus Status rank to all Stealth tests.

Lucky: Twice per chapter, reroll one test, take the best result.

Night Eyes: No penalties for low light conditions.

Pious: Prerequisite Will 3 (Dedication 1B).  Twice per chapter, you may pray tothe Lords of Kobal or the One God and gain +1D. 

Political Pull I: Prerequisite Status 4 (Politics 1B).  You are a minor mover and shaker in the political arena.  Once per Chapter, for any Politics test or Intrigue motivated by Politics, you may gain the benefit of spending a Destiny Point without having to do so.

Political Pull II: Prerequisites Political Pull I, Status 5 (Politics 2B). Once per chapter, for any Status/Politics test, or Intrigue motivated by Politics, you gain the benefit of burning a Destiny point without having to sacrifice one.  This does not stack with Political Pull I.

Martial Merits (Note ** Qualities maybe used in Starfighters, *** Qualities maybe used in both Starfighters and Capital Ships)

Accurate***: Prerequisite Marksmanship 4.  +1D against opponets with cover.

Acrobatic Defense: Prerequisite Agility 4 (Acrobatics 1B). Lesser action to add 2x Acrobatics to Combat Defense.

Danger Sense***: Prerequisite Awareness 4.  Reroll 1's for initiative tests, deny surprising opponent +1D to attack you.

Dog Fighting I**: Prerequisite Reflexes 3 (Starfighter Piloting 2B): Lesser action to add 2x Pilot as bonus to Starfighter Combat Defense.

Dog Fighting II**: Prerequisite Dogfighting I, Marksmanship 3 (Starfighter 2B): Sacrifice bonus dice, add one degree of success to damage results.

Fast: +1 yard to Movement rate, Sprint is 5x movement rate instead of 4x.

Fencing: Prerequisite Fighting 3 (Fencing 1B).  Add Fencing rank to Combat Defense.

Fight by the Seat of the Pants**: Prerequisite Fly by the Seat of the Pants, Pilot 3B.  Add Awareness rank to Combat Defense.

Fly by the Seat of the Pants***: Prerequisite Reflexes 3 (Pilot 2B) Awareness 3.  Add Awareness rank to all Pilot tests.

Improved Weapon Mastery***: Prerequisite Weapon Mastery.  Increase Weapon Damage by additional +1

Inspiring: Prerequisite Warfare 4.  Gain extra command, plus may sacrifice a command to reroll a test result.

Leader of Men: Prerequisite Warfare 4 (Command 1B).  One rally/reorganize attempt is automatically successful per mass combat.

Rapid Fire***: Prerequisite Marksmanship 3, 1B in appropriate specialty.  Add Rapid Fire trait to any non primitive weapon.  Also this quality adds an additional +1D to use when using Divided attack.

Tough: Prerequisite Resilience 1B.  Add Resilience rank to Health.

Unarmed Combat I: Prerequisite Fighting 3 (Unarmed 1B).  Treat your unarmed attacks as if they have the Fast weapon trait.  Also Unarmed attacks to Athletics-2 damage.

Unarmed Combat II: Prerequisite Unarmed Combat I, Fighting 4 (Unarmed 2B).  Unarmed attacks now gain Powerful weapon trait.  Also you can add Athletics ranks as bonus to all Unarmed tests.

Unarmed Combat III: Prerequisite Unarmed Combat II, Fighting 5 (Unarmed 3B).  If you have 3 degrees of success against an opponent, instead of damage you can opt to stun instead.   Compare test result against opponents Endurance Rank x4.  If greater, target is stunned, and can only perform Recover action until unstunned.

Weapon Mastery***: Add +1 to weapon damage.

Social Qualities
Adept Negotiator: Prerequisite Deception 3.  No penalty from starting disposition as long as your disposition is unknown by the other party.

Attractive: Reroll 1's on all Persuasion tests.

Authority: Reduce disposition penalties to Persuasion by 2.

Cautious Diplomat: Awareness 3 (Empathy 2B).  During Social Combat, when taking the Consider action, the bonus dice gained can exceed the bonus dice limit.  Also can exchange +2B for a +1D test die.  You retain this bonus until the end of the Social Combat.

Charismatic*: Prerequisite Persuasion 3.  Choose a Persuasion Specialty, gain +2 bonus to all tests with that Specialty.

Compelling*: Prerequisite Charismatic.  Gain +1 to Influence with Charismatic Specialty in Social Combat.

Dutiful: Prerequisite Will 4.  Opponents get -1D to try to influence you in Social Combat when using Convince, Intimidate, or Seduce.

Friends in High Places: +1B to all Persuasion tests with characters of Status 4 or greater.

Friends in Low Places: +1B to all Persuasion tests with characters of Status 3 or lower.

Magnetic: Prerequisite Charismatic.  In social combat, when you influence an opponent using charm, that person disposition increases by your Charm rank.

Respected: Prerequisite Reputation 2B.  Opponents get -1D to try to influence you in Social Combat when using Incite, Intimidate, and Taunt.

Stubborn: Prerequisite Will 3 (Discipline 1B).  Increase your Composure by your Discipline rank.

Treacherous: Add Cunning rank to all Deception tests.

All heroes have a flaw as a part of them, some aspect that makes them stand out from the rest of the pack, a challenge for them to overcome.  Laura Roslin had cancer, Saul Tigh was an alcoholic, Gauis Baltar was a coward.  Your characters will be no different.

Every character in the game will have at least one Flaw.  Some of you might have more then one, depending on if you want to save your Destiny Points and pick extra Flaws instead to gain Merits.   Below are a list of Flaws and the game challenges you will have as a result of having this drawback.  When
possible I have given some examples of Battlestar Characters having the flaw in question

Drawbacks
Addiction (minor): When faced with a troubling situation, you must make a Challenging (9) Will test or turn to your addiction.  You suffer -1 to all tests.   After one hour you may make a Challenging (9) Endurance test to recover from this penalty.  If your addiction is not available within an hour of failing the test, you go into minor withdrawal and suffer a -2 penalty till you have had your "fix".  You also must make a Formidable (12) Will test to resist your addiction choice during this time.  Doc Cottle (Smoking).

Alcoholic: When faced with a troubling situation, must make a Formidable (12) Will test, or turn to alcohol (or drugs) to calm your nerves.  While
intoxicated, you have a -2 penalty to all tests.  If you are in a place where alcohol is readily available, you become roaring drunk and have a -2D penalty.  Penalties remain until you get a good night's sleep.  Each hour of sleep, make a Challenging (9) Endurance test.  Success reduces the penalty by 1 (3 reductions equal 1D).  You also must make a Formidable (12) Will test to resist any readily available alcoholic drink.  This drawback may be substituted for another addictive drug.  Saul Tigh.

Childhood Disease: Decrease Health by 2

Coward: Requires Will of 3 or less, no bonus dice in courage.  When engaged in combat or social intrigue which could result in consequences for your character, take -1D on all tests.  Each round you may try as a Free Action to make a Formidable (12) Will test.  Success removes the 1D penalty, and grants you a +1B on all tests till combat ends.  Gaius Balter

Crippled: Reduce Movement by 2 yards (min of 1 yard).  Romo Lampkin (we thought)

Cruel Insanity: -2D for all Awareness Empathy tests.  Also starting disposition is 1 step worse for people that recognize you character having this drawback.  Helena Cain (after the Holocaust)

Cylon: Whether you are aware of it or not, you are a cylon.  Best of luck not getting lynched. (Don't put this on your sheet.  This is just for me)

Dark Secret: You have some dark secret in your past that you will do anything to protect.  You must engage in Social Combat when confronted with your past or spend a Destiny Point to get out of the conversation. Starting disposition is -1 steps than would be normal.  If you lose, then you exchange this Drawback for Outcast.  Gaius Baltar

Disturbing Habit: When recognized, you gain a +1D on all Persuasion (Intimidate) tests, otherwise, suffer a -1D to all other Persuasion tests.

Fear: You have a phobia.  When int he presence of that phobia, you suffer a -1D to all tests.  Each round you may make as a Free Action a Formidable (12) Will test.  Success removes the penalty for the remainder of this encounter only.  GM must approve of the Phobia.

Forgetful: Whenever testing Cunning, you must reroll all 6's and take the second roll.

Furious: When rolling Persuasion tests, your first roll must be Intimidate.  You also suffer -1D on all Persuasion tests other than Intimidate and Incite.  Galen Tryol (Season 2.5)

Generic Flaw*: Pick one Ability and have a -1D penalty when testing that Ability.  This Drawback maybe taken multiple times, with a different ability taken each time.  William Adama (Awareness)

Haughty: -1D on all Awareness tests involving Empathy.  Also your starting disposition with anyone below your Status is at least Dislike.  Ellen Tigh

Ignoble: -1B on all Deception, Persuasion and Status tests.  Kendra Shaw.

Illness: Endurance 3 or less.  Each day, make a Challenging (9) Endurance test.  Failure means you suffer as if you have an Injury.  If you cannot suffer any more injuries, you must take a Wound.  If you cannot take another Wound, then you die.  These injuries/wounds cannot be removed except by burning a Destiny Point.   Laura Roslin.

Impaired Sense: Choose Blindness or Deafness as your impaired sense.  You automatically fail all Awareness tests that solely rely on that sense.  Also Movement is reduced by -1 yard (min 1 yard.).

Inept: Whenever you roll for Agility, you must reroll 6's and take the second roll, even if it is worse.

Insubordinate: Suffer -1D to all Persuasion tests with those with a higher Status than you.   Also if you loose a Social Combat with a person whose Status is higher, make a Formidable (12) Will check, or initiate regular combat with the person.  Kara Thrace.

Lascivious: During Social Combat, if your first Persuasion test does not use Seduction, you take a -2 to Intrigue Defense till the end of the scene.  You also suffer a -1D to all Persuasion (Charm) tests.  Gauis Baltar.

Marked: You bare some visible physical defect.  When testing Persuasion, reroll all 6's, and take the second roll.  Saul Tigh (Season 3+).

Maimed: You have lost a limb.  If the limb is a leg, half your movement rate (min 1 yard) and take -1D on all Athletic tests.  If a hand, -2D on any test requiring two hands, and cannot use weapons that require two hands.  Felix Gaeta.

Mute: -2D for all Social Combat.  However, your opponents take a -2D to determine what your disposition is.

Naive: You take a -3 penalty to Intrigue Defense against Deception tests.  Billy Keikeya.

Nemesis: You have a destructive enemy who holds you in utter contempt.  This Flaw must be GM approved.  Tom Zarek.

Outcast: You take a -2D on all Status checks.  Gauis Baltar (Season 3).

Out of your League: In critical situations where you are in command, reroll all 6's and take the second roll for the first test.  Barry Gardner.

Poor Health: Reduce Endurance tests to remove injuries or wounds by 3.  Laura Roslin.

Reviled: When engaged in Social Combat, your opponent disposition is one step worse then normal.  Also, take a -1D to all Status checks.  Tom Zarek.

Sickly: Take -1D on Endurance tests to resist hazards and ailments.

Supreme Arrogance: -2D on Awareness tests, but +1D to resist intimidation.  Kara Thrace.

Threatening: During Social Combat, if your first Persuasion test does not use Intimidate, you take a -2 to Intrigue Defense till the end of the Scene.  Also you take a -1D for all Persuasion (Charm) tests.

Lore Resources
E-1: Crewman Apprentice
E-2: Crewman
E-3: Specialist
E-4: Petty Officer, 2nd Class
E-5: Petty Officer, 1st Class
E-6: Chief Petty Officer
E-7: Master Chief Petty Officer

O-1: Ensign
O-2: Lieutenant, Junior Grade
O-3: Lieutenant
O-4: Captain
O-5: Major
O-6: Lieutenant Colonel
O-7: Colonel
O-8: Commander
O-9: Rear Admiral
O-10: Admiral

Status guidelines
1: Untrained or newly qualified enlisted crew member, civilian prisoner or one stuck in a really shitty job with almost no chance of improving conditions, like the tylium refinery workers (no PCs so far are examples of Status 1 characters)
2: Enlisted members that are competent enough in their job to train new members on basic tasks, officers that are in training or recently certified, a standard citizen with run of the mill professions, and low level members of the Civilian Defense Force (CDF) (Scribbles, as a new officer, is an example of a Status 2 character)
3: Enlisted members with basic supervision authority and proficient enough to perform job evaluations, upper half of CDF enlisted and both trained and untrained officers, civilians with more useful or slightly prestigious jobs (RubySlippers, a very knowledgable scientist, would be a Status 3 based solely on usefulness, despite not having important political connections)
4: The most senior enlisted members in the fleet, officers with important appointments such as CAG or squadron commander, secondary CDF
commanders, or civilians with jobs of considerable importance, like the pilots on Colonial One (Caela and RedEve, both fully certified doctors with officer rank, are examples of Status 4 characters)
5: Those directly under the highest-ranking military member, the commander of the CDF, Quorum representatives (1 per planet), and presidential contenders, whose Status may diminish after losing an election (Arkhos, the XO of the main ship and direct subordinate to Kythia's character, is a Status 5 position.  mia h, as the current frontrunner to serve as interim president, could also be a 5)
6: The highest-ranking military or the interim president (Kythia, who will be the highest ranking military member after the attack, would qualify for Status 6)
7: Fully elected President (No one yet)

Note: Since most of your characters are in their in game position due to the death of a superior (or several of them), starting with status one or two lower makes complete sense.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Phaia

hey kc good to see this i was waiting and lurking to see what happened. Is my ide a for a socialator /companion type.
a very good pilot [she has had her own very small ship] knowledgeable in many fields, perceptive, elegent , beautiful and yes very much looked down on by most of the survivors

probally a bit younger then some of your character ideas , maybe mid to late 20s

phaia

kckolbe

Definitely workable.  Once you start assigning points you might have to compromise a bit, though.  Let me know if you need a hand.

Intro Thread

Muse

I'm interested.  I'll say more tomorrow when I'm awake! 

Hi Phaia! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

I'm thinking a young looking 40 year old scientist, the one that works more over the genius variety.

mia h

About the character sheet's do you want them dropped in here or posting to you?
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

mia h

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 16, 2013, 01:16:43 PM
I'm thinking a young looking 40 year old scientist, the one that works more over the genius variety.

I have the "perfect" character model for that scientist  ;D
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Kythia

Very interested.  I'm thinking either a "politically minded character" or "commander of BSF" - whichever you think suits best.  A senior figure in the military who suffered some sort of disability (currently thinking a missing limb, but open to debate) so no longer actively on service.  Either focusing her attentions on the political sphere or largely riding a desk depending on which way it goes.  Decent warfare, status, persuasion and will.  Low athletics (is it possible to drop below the initial starting 2)?

Phaia

as a suggestion since part of the great drama of the new BSG was family, i would be more then willing to be the daughter or sister of another character. being i am working up a socialator tht could cause all sorts of problems...

clearly disowned? abandoned by a parent that was to busy doing more importent things? if interested and okay with kc let me know

phaia

RubySlippers

You can be my characters daughter she has two husbands and three wives plus her and being from Scorpia we are tolerant of ones choices anyway.

My character will be 40 years old so you would need to be young 18 or 19.

My character: Dr. Aera Szalta, The family would adopt her last name.

Scribbles

This looks like fun, I just have one question, would you allow descriptions as opposed to pictures?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

RubySlippers

DRAFT BASIC CHARACTER SHEET

Dr. Aera Szalta
Scientist
40 Years Old
Scorpia

Abilities

Agility: 2
Athletics: 2
Awareness: 3
Cunning: 4
Deception: 2
Endurance: 3
Fighting: 2
Knowledge: 6
-  Research: 4
Marksmanship: 2
Mechanics: 3
- Craft: 3
Medical: 2
Persuasion: 3
Reflexes: 2
Stealth: 3
Blend In: 1
Survival: 2
Thievery: 2
Warfare: 2
Will: 3

MERITS:
Attractive: Reroll 1's on all Persuasion tests.
Destiny: It only requires you to spend a Destiny Point, instead of burning a Destiny Point, to choose the outcome of being defeated.
Evaluation: Test Cunning to gain an intuitive insight on an unknown object or piece of equipment.
Keen Senses: Reroll 1's for all Awareness tests, and add Cunning rank to Awareness tests.
Tech Head: With Mechanics (Craft), reroll 1's for that test, and also add Cunning Rank as a bonus to tests.

FLAWS:
Childhood Disease: Decrease Health by 2
Generic Flaw: -1 D Fighting *
Generic Flaw: -1 D Marksmanship *
Generic Flaw: -1 D Warfare *
* affirmed pacifist so she is not interested or learned combat skills or cares to fight

DP: 0

kckolbe

RubySlippers-The scientist looks good.  If you stick with the age of 40 you will have more points to work with.  I haven't decided where to draw the lines, age wise, since I wanted to see what kind of ages players were interested in, but a 40 year old would definitely have an extra 6 points for abilities and 4 for specialties.  I recommend adding to cunning an whatever else strikes your fancy.

mia h-Char sheets can be posted here or in PM.  Eventually they will be public, but no rush.

Kythia-Welcome!  You can hold off deciding for now if you want.  Both concepts are of significant importance.  Also, while it is not possible to drop below 2, there are flaws that effectively do that.

Phaia-Relationships are definitely okay. 

Scribbles-Descriptions are fine.

Glad to see so many people coming in.

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

40 is good, she is a hot MILF that works and ages well. And as a scientist she has time in to be taken seriously.

kckolbe

40 is definitely a good age for your character. 

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

Done modifying just need to do the extra stuff. I decided to have one husband and two wives so need to find pics and what they do. One wife will be a Priestess for sure.

kckolbe

You are one point over on abilities, but otherwise looks just fine.  She's definitely a specialist.  As for the husband and wives, were you intending to play those?  I'd like to hold off on secondary characters for now, though if they are nothing more than background NPCs it shouldn't be an issue.

Intro Thread

Phaia

grr now i want to be older to have some of the sweet extra goodies

*jabs finger in the air* youth powerrrrrr age discriminationnnn!!

oh sorry muse missed your greeting ...how ya been...i have missed yanking "Dick's" chain  ;) ;). ya think he will watch for a mickey next time !!

Loved the posts we did there!!

Anyway back to BSG **makes signs and marches** Youth Power  no youth discrimination!!

just teasing KC I will get with you on ideas for my character in next day or so...

Ruby i do perfer my character to be older then 18-19 so mind if we keep that on back burner...maybe i can find a bit older character to be the estranged daughter of....though hmmm...maybe a  younger sister... that has 'wasted' her genius being a  socialator?

phaia

kckolbe

Once we get to merits and flaws you will see that youth has its benefits as well.  Basically, older characters have more skill and younger ones have more luck.  Also, Phaia, your concept would go really well being the daughter of the fleet commander if that player is up for it.

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

Quote from: Phaia on October 16, 2013, 09:41:54 PM
grr now i want to be older to have some of the sweet extra goodies

*jabs finger in the air* youth powerrrrrr age discriminationnnn!!

oh sorry muse missed your greeting ...how ya been...i have missed yanking "Dick's" chain  ;) ;). ya think he will watch for a mickey next time !!

Loved the posts we did there!!

Anyway back to BSG **makes signs and marches** Youth Power  no youth discrimination!!

just teasing KC I will get with you on ideas for my character in next day or so...

Ruby i do perfer my character to be older then 18-19 so mind if we keep that on back burner...maybe i can find a bit older character to be the estranged daughter of....though hmmm...maybe a  younger sister... that has 'wasted' her genius being a  socialator?

phaia

Well to get her doctorate she would be in school and doing research until age thirty, so forty is a good age she is well into her profession.

Caela

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 16, 2013, 10:20:50 PM
Well to get her doctorate she would be in school and doing research until age thirty, so forty is a good age she is well into her profession.

Depends on what her doctorate is in actually. What branch of science is she specializing in?

Caela

Here's the military doctor (trauma surgeon specifically, though the current situation will certainly end up expanding on that!) that KC is helping me work on.

RubySlippers

Never heard of a Renaissance Woman, she doesn't have an academic specialty, did Benjamin Franklin have one? A scientist is an educated person and a educated person a scientist if she can't recite poetry, work with languages, discuss philosophy and the like she has no right being a scientist. But her degree was in Interdisciplinary Stellar Science & Technology (ISS&T) in short in her case long term space habitation and survival in space with a general approach.