New site improvement suggestion

Started by Deante, February 01, 2019, 11:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deante

I hear that a new code or version of E is on the works. I have a suggestion for improvements?

A search function which allows you to specify which sub forum you’re searching in. Looking for that one req thread gets tedious when it’s pulling on every Hit from everywhere on the board.

Also being able to search your PMs, like say looking if you’ve messaged a specific person,  would be nice.

RedPhoenix

I believe this thread -> https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=128093.0 <- is there for posting ideas about the new forum too!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Daeva

Quote from: Deante on February 01, 2019, 11:00:09 AM
I hear that a new code or version of E is on the works. I have a suggestion for improvements?

A search function which allows you to specify which sub forum you’re searching in. Looking for that one req thread gets tedious when it’s pulling on every Hit from everywhere on the board.

Also being able to search your PMs, like say looking if you’ve messaged a specific person,  would be nice.

As far as searching your messages - if you go to your in box and then hover over 'actions', there is a "search messages" in the drop down. It then allows you to search by user or title of the message.
Absences Updated 6/15/22 Selectively Accepting New Stories
Ons and Offs & Current Story List | Desired RP's

Tolvo

Also you can search specific subforums. I'm trying to remember the exact methods, but I believe if you're in the subforum and use the search in the top right next to the Shoutbox it searches just in that subforum. I think there are other ways to do it as well but I can't remember how.

Oniya

Quote from: Tolvo on February 01, 2019, 11:43:35 AM
Also you can search specific subforums. I'm trying to remember the exact methods, but I believe if you're in the subforum and use the search in the top right next to the Shoutbox it searches just in that subforum. I think there are other ways to do it as well but I can't remember how.

That's the method I use - don't know of any better ones.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tolvo

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=search

Ah now I remember, you can choose which boards and forums you're search is in at the bottom. All is checked normally but you can uncheck everything but the one you want to search.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Tolvo on February 01, 2019, 11:43:35 AM
...nearly ten years on this site and I never realized this. Thank you Tolvo!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Tolvo

Well the top right search box I think it was Amaris who told me about that.

Amaris

Yep, yep, but it's great you're passing it along... Cause it took me ages to figure that one out as well!

Tolvo

It would probably help if it wasn't up in the corner and integrated into the shoutbox. If it was on the left or under the search tab it'd probably be easier for people to figure it out.

Amaris

I don't think it would really help it was on the left rather than the right. I think i'd be less likely to look on the left. Mine is a separate box from the shoutbox?

I use October skin though.

Tolvo

I specify to the left since that is where the search tab is. So if you see it closer to that then you might realize it is there. I use the normal skin, for me it is in the top right inside of the Shoutbox next to the disable shoutbox button.

It's in a part of the site I don't even normally have my eyes look at. And since it is integrated into the Shoutbox I assumed it searched the Shoutbox always. If it was next to, around, or even in the search section, then I would have assumed it was for searching the forums and threads but it isn't near there.

Geraint

Quote from: Tolvo on February 01, 2019, 02:32:50 PM
It would probably help if it wasn't up in the corner and integrated into the shoutbox. If it was on the left or under the search tab it'd probably be easier for people to figure it out.
It's not integrated into the shoutbox, but rather above it, as are the date, the Hello, and the link to your PMs.  If you press the disable shoutbox button, the shoutbox goes away and that whole line remains

Tolvo

I've always considered the entire light blue box to be the shoutbox, since it is called a box and that is a box as well since Full Screen Shoutbox is in the outer part of it.

Amaris

Geraint is correct in that the shoutbox is below your name, messages, the search and such. It's why the boxes are separate and different colors, but I think that's a little off track of what this discussion is.

Formless

Also if you click on the 'search' option right next to the 'help' & 'profile' above, it'll take you to the search screen, which gives you an option on which subforum you'd like to search in.

Vekseid

Also, if you search while in a thread, it will search that thread only.