Junishin Academy for Powerful Prospective Protagonistic Peoples

Started by ShadowFox89, January 07, 2012, 05:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

A school unlike any other, Junishin Academy is located within the Land of Twilight. A neutral country, the Land of Twilight has seen little wars thanks to it's unique location. Instead, it has formed what could be considered the largest schooling complex dedicated to the teaching of young adults with certain... powers. Almost every student, from the newest freshman to the graduating seniors, have some sort of unique ability. For most, this is the ability to channel the spiritual force known as 'chakra'.

Each year, the school opens it's doors for hundreds of young adults from across the world and planes to attend. Out of these hundreds of prospective students, only a few dozen actually manage to pass the preliminary examinations. Those that fail sometimes return home to try again next year, and sometimes go to one of the nearby villages intent on harassing students.

The school itself is massive, large enough to count as a village all it's own. Buildings, some ancient enough that their original constructors have been forgotten, others newly finished by students, are strewn throughout the campus grounds. Two lakes flank either side of the academy, with a river flowing between the two. Behind the academy is a massive wall of rock, with caverns rumored to be inhabited by all sorts of monsters and beasts.

This is a game using the Naruto D20 system as a basis. I will outline character generation below, and go through a step by step guide if needed for those unfamiliar with the system. I do not take credit for the initial idea of an academy game, as there have been several other games within this style here on E.

For Students: Knowledge of the system is not needed, though knowledge of some d20 based system (such as Mutants and Masterminds or Dungeons and Dragons) should be expected.

For Teachers: Teachers, on the other hand, I expect to have some idea of how to play the system. If you do are unfamiliar with the system and still wish to play a teacher, I will help you but I will then expect some level of dedication towards actually learning how to play (no wimping out)

Character Creation

- Students begin at level 1 while teachers begin at level 12.
- First level is maximum hitpoints, with (half+1) hit points per level afterwards.
- Use 40pts for ability generation. Teachers, remember that level 12 gives you +3 bonuses to your ability scores to be used after generating base abilities.
- Add +2 per level (+8 at first) to your skill points. The skill points given in Naruto D20, especially with how important skills are, has always seems to be lacking to me.
- Any bloodline, template, or race in the Naruto D20 base pdf is allowed. If you wish to play a template or race with a level adjustment, we can work something out.
- Students begin with 2d4 wealth, plus bonuses from occupation and profession ranks. Teachers begin with a wealth bonus of +22, plus any bonuses from occupation. If you have ranks in profession, add the bonus from your most recent level.
- Homebrew is welcome, but expect me to critique and review any homebrew. I will be as nice as I can be in the critiquing, but no promises.
- Students begin with the Genin and Nin Weapon proficiency feats for free. Teachers begin with the previous two feats as well as Chuunin and Jounin.

Techniques

Students begin with 1d4+1 techniques, plus Bunshin no Jutsu, Henge no Jutsu, and Kawarimi
Teachers start out a bit differently.
1st level: 1d4+12, plus Bunshin no Jutsu, Henge no Jutsu, and Kawarimi.
2nd level: 11
3rd level: 10
4th level: 9
5th level: 8
6th level: 7
7th level: 6
8th level: 5
9th level: 4
10th level: 3
11th level: 2
12th level: 1
13th level: 0

Add +1 to each level of technique known for Genius Nin.

For masteries, 1d4+1 for students and 1d4+12 for teachers. Double masteries if you have the Grand Master feat.

For now, do not worry about sheets. Instead, fill out the following (borrowing Vergil1989's template, with some modification)

[b]Name;[/b]
[b]Gender;[/b]
[b]Age;[/b]
[b]Sexuality;[/b]
[b]Race;[/b]
[b]Appearance;[/b]
[b]Tattoos, piercings, other markings;[/b]
[b]Class;[/b] (list what base class you are taking. If Teacher, also list any advanced or prestige classes you are taking)
[b]Position:[/b]  (Student or teacher.  If teacher or other staff, please include what you teach or do as well.)
[b]Personality;[/b]  (More than one line please.)
[b]History/Background Info;[/b]  (Details aplenty please.  You can be from another dimension for all I care, but I do ask that you include a few things is all I ask.  Mainly, what you're doing there, why you joined or however you want to put it.  Also include where you came from, what life was like before coming to the school, and anything else you might think is pertinent.)
[b]Ons;[/b]  (Given the nature of this game, some EX stuff is to be expected but not required of you in particular.  Simple things like body mods, bondage, just kind of depends on what you're wanting in the end really.)
[b]Limits;[/b]  (Self explanatory I'm sure.)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Name; Kiyomi Mizuniwa
Gender; Female
Age; 16
Sexuality; Straight
Race; Human (Aquatic)
Appearance; Pale blue-grey skin, long dark blue hair, crystal blue eyes.
Tattoos, piercings, other markings; Two gills under each eye. Sharpened Teeth.
Class; Strong Hero
Position: Student
Personality; Kiyomi is traumatized from her past, but one could hardly tell just by talking to her. She doesn't know what death as a concept is. For her, people simply stop moving and talking to her. She's hedonistic but doesn't have very much fun. For her, fighting someone to the death has as much gravitas as calligraphy- she treats life-and-death situations as if they were mundane. Not because Kiyomi is particularly cool or collected, but because she simply doesn't know better.

History/Background Info; The Mizuniwa clan of Kirigakure has a special ability, for they had an ancestor long ago with a powerful bloodline- he could consume the flesh and blood of another ninja to gain their unique abilities. His mastery of this technique reached such height that a single drop of blood could confer upon him the ability to almost perfectly mimic even a doujutsu.

Every new child born to the Clan is implanted with a portion of the Mizuniwa ancestor's cells. Unfortunately, implanting the full sequence into a new child will almost always kill them. Thus most Mizuniwa clan members have only an inkling of the ancestor's consumption ability, barely a fraction of his great power. Members of the clan must undergo a terrible regiment from birth to develop these abilities. The more of the ancestor's DNA implanted within them, the longer they must spend undergoing this trial, if they survive the initial implantation at all.

For fifteen years, Kiyomi and her brother spent 20 hours a day in specially treated chakra water. The twins were constantly under the effects of the water and force-fed special shinobi drugs to alter their bodies. With only each other for comfort, Kiyomi grew to love her brother as a sibling ought not to...

However, if genetically similar individuals are both implanted with corresponding halves of the ancestor's DNA, the full sequence can be repaired... as long as one sibling consumes the other and absorbs the opposite half of the bloodline into their DNA permanently. The Clan found Kiyomi and her twin brother to be sufficiently close to one another that this method might just work, and it would awaken the long dormant full power of their ancestor. They were bade to fight and kill one another so as to awaken the full power of the Mizuniwa bloodline.

Kiyomi refused, preferring death to filicide. The clan threatened to kill them both, but her brother would not permit it. He made the ultimate sacrifice, killing himself so that his sister may live. Left with no other choice, Kiyomi vowed to avenge them both for this awful fate. The only way she could have her revenge was by living, and the Clan forced her to feed. She consumed her brother, absorbing his powers. Only then was she welcomed into the Clan.

As the beloved 'princess' of the Mizuniwa and now the wielder of its most powerful bloodline, she was welcomed with wide arms. Kiyomi used this trust to take her revenge, poisoning every last member of her clan during the celebration of her 'ascension'

She became a missing-nin, fleeing Kirigakure not long after and coming under the protection of the Land of Twilight.

Ons/Limits;  Anything in my own o/os. ;)

ShadowFox89

To all those with interest in this game: What sort of technology level do you wish to see? Modern day stuff like computers, guns, cars, all that fun?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

It's been a month. I'm bumping this to see if there's anyone who might have interest.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ExisD

I'm  interested, probably for a teacher role though I'm not sure yet. I just have a few questions.

How is the game expected to play out? Is there an over-plot?
Do the teacher's act as sub-GM's, giving their students tasks and rewarding them as appropriate?
For sexual scenes I'm assuming that it would be based on what everyone involved is ok with, is this accurate?

ShadowFox89

Replies in order

Quote from: ExisD on February 12, 2012, 11:30:31 PM
How is the game expected to play out? Is there an over-plot?
Do the teacher's act as sub-GM's, giving their students tasks and rewarding them as appropriate?
For sexual scenes I'm assuming that it would be based on what everyone involved is ok with, is this accurate?

There will be a loose over-plot, but not too much. It will generally be driven upon what the players do (explore the catacombs and free the ancient spirit? guess what!)

The teachers would be a bit like sub-GM's, yes. Handing out tasks and rewarding them, yes.

Based on what the two (or more) involved in the seen are OK with.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ExisD

I'll make a post tomorrow with the filled out sheet when I'm more awake, but I'm thinking of going for the obviously evil and sadistic teacher that every proper magical/supernatural academy needs. Someone who's a fan of training from hell and also harassing her students in any way she can think of getting away with.

Does this sound ok? I'm pretty familiar with the system though I think I might've missed an update since I last looked into it.

ShadowFox89

That sounds great. I don't expect a sheet right away of course.

Almost forgot techniques... I'll get a list of who at each level gets what.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ExisD

Yeah, that was one of my questions. Simply because if you used the 1 technique per level suggestion you'd wind up with some pretty incompetent instructors.

I'm going to go gen-primary with my build, trying to decide which will be secondary. Though I'm leaning tai at the moment, probably unarmed and grappling focused.

ShadowFox89

Don't have time at the moment to make a full chart, but for techniques it is generally this (using Inerrant Lust's generation of techniques) :

1 - Rank 12 technique, +1 for each technique of a lower rank (so 2 at rank 11, 3 at rank 10, etc). For level 1 techniques, 1d4+12.

Students simply have 1d4+1 techniques.

Masteries are 1d4+level. Grandmaster feat doubles masteries. Genius Nin adds +1 to the number of techniques known for each rank, plus 1 known at 1 higher rank (so genius genjutsu gives you 1 rank 13).

Sound good?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

ShadowFox89

Added some more to the house rules, including bonus feats, extra skill points per level, and techniques/masteries.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ExisD

Does true-blooded human work for my race? I wrote the back story assuming that and I hope I filled in enough info. If not please tell me and I'll add some more.

Name;Kaede Tsukino
Gender; Female
Age; 24
Sexuality; Bi leaning gay
Race; True-blooded Human
Appearance; This is approximately what I was looking for.
Tattoos, piercings, other markings;Has several piercings, ears and nipples, along with light scarring on most areas of her body.
Class; Smart Hero, Fast Hero, Shinobi Adept, Genjutsu Master
Position:  Genjutsu and genjutsu defense instructor
Personality; As a whole Kaede teds to be a happy, if lazy, person. She takes a great deal of pleasure from her lessons, even though she rarely plans any of them out. This is mostly because she a shameless sadist who takes great joy in playing mind games with her students and using the most painful methods of training she can get away with. Everyone in her classes will fall pray to her roaming hands eventually if she has anything to say about it. 
History/Background Info;  The result of a super-soldier program gone horribly right Kaede spent her childhood training in some of the worst environments most could imagine. The main lessons she took away from it: impressive combat and mental manipulation ability, the knowledge that the most fun thing in the world is causing pain to anyone, even yourself, and the ability to coordinate colors with the best of them. The last of those was her chosen extra-curricular. After all, you need to be well-rounded.

She wandered the world for a while, taking out her frustrations and teaching the true meaning of 'joy' to everyone she came across. Her skills carried her far as a mercenary, though few could stomach working with her for significant periods of time. Eventually all of this had become dull. Most adults had experienced enough things that the fear she could inspire in them was lessened. Though teens and young adults still showed much promise.

She spent several years moving from school to school, mostly being kicked out on sexual harassment charges or for making students cry. Then by some miracle she came across Junishin Academy. She applied for a teaching role and was shocked to find a welcome here. Between her mastery of the mental arts and her unwillingness to let anyone lax in their training her students got results and she got to enjoy herself.
Ons;  For the character: causing pain, humiliation, and exhibitionism. Also playing with people not attracted to her. For me look at ons/offs.
Limits;  Not many, but they are in on/offs.

ShadowFox89

True blood works for race.

edit: If I get just one or two teachers, that might actually simplify things a whole lot.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Mysterica

*Raises hand*  I want to play!

Name; Hanako Hyuuga
Gender; Female
Age; 17
Sexuality; Lesbian
Race; Human
Appearance; Probably something along these lines
Tattoos, piercings, other markings;White eyes, burn scars covering her forearms (covered by bandages)
Class; Fast Hero
Position: Student
Personality; Hankao is a rather soft spoken girl.  She has trouble making friends due to the fact that she was constantly moving throughout her childhood and every time she had made a friend or two they were off again.  After a time she began to just give up on trying for the most part just thinking that there was something wrong with her that it took so long to open up to someone to move just afterward.  In truth, though she didn't know it, it was largely because she made friends though that they were actually moving so often.  Hanako is not weak willed though.  While she does cry out in the middle of the night often wracked with bad dreams and worse memories, she is not afraid to stand up for herself if necessary.
History/Background Info; Hanako Hyuuga was born into a life of running and hiding.  Her mother became pregnant with her just before a battle took place, and being a member of the branch family of the Hyuuga clan ran off in the aftermath of the battle hoping to fool the village into believing that she had died in the chaos so her daughter could prevent her from suffering receiving the Itami no Rakuin seal where she would be little more than a puppet of the main house.  Somehow, one year after leaving the village though, word got back to Konoha that there was a branch member and her daughter on the loose and the Hyuuga sent out an attack squad to track them down, kill Hanako's mother and bring the baby back to them to deal with.

Years later, after having avoiding attention by staying on the move, always leaving any time when Hanako began making a name for herself around wherever they were staying at the time.  At the age of fifteen though, the family stayed too long in one place and got found.  She and her mother were attacked in their own home!  Hanako was forced to watch as the men raped her mother, then bound her so she could watch them do the same to Hanako with the promises that they would kill them both soon afterwards as Hanako was now too old to effectively control.  She had had too much negative influence of her rebellious mother for too long.

Unlike her mother though who was able to be easily controlled with pain, Hanako was able to fight back and in the midst of her struggling she knocked over a lamp starting a fire in the house.  Panicked by the fire, her attackers let her go long enough to grab a pot and knock the men out.  By then, the fire was raging, but Hanako needed to help her mother who was still wracked with pain and unable to move.  By the time she managed to get her mother out of the building both her arms and her mother were covered in serious burns and were immediately given emergency treatment.  Unfortunately, Hanako's mother soon died from injuries sustained.

Now aware of why she had been constantly on the move, Hanako decided to try and move somewhere she could be safe and upon hearing about the Junshin Academy, set off for the prestigious institute to learn in peace surrounded by people who would be able both to teach herself how to better defend herself, but also to help protect her until she was able to do so.
Ons/Limits; Pretty much just check out my o/o page.

ShadowFox89

Looks good Myst.

*scrawls in notes*
Have bandits kidnap Hanako.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Mysterica

Thank you.  I added in what class she starts off as, for I had completely forgotten to put that in there.  It is just too bad she doesn't get to start in with the gentle fist until she learns the proper stance which becomes available at lvl 2 (if I take genius nin) or lvl3 otherwise.  Then I just need to use Chakra to enter the stance and keep my byakugan active...  This may be tougher than expected lol.  Oh well.  I can figure it out.  I'l probably work on her sheet later, at which I have to choose an occupation...  That'll be a trick with her back story...

As for the story...  At least it opens up a combating scenario or two if/when Hanako starts making a name for herself.

ExisD

Hmm, I'm going to try to get some actual stats written down soon since we're getting more people.

Also, Shadow are you going to have your own character for the game, the headmaster of the school maybe?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I have interested to join and make a teacher. Kind a goofy guy who no one would not take seriously at first but he is actually pretty bad ass. A nice guy to make good comparison to ExisD characther (and may be perhaps colleague rivals in sense that my char dislikes her ruthless selfish methods even if they do provide results).

ExisD

Having a rival would be fun.

I'm starting to work on stats and such here's what I have so far.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

str: 16, dex: 12, con: 14, int: 12, wis: 8, cha: 18
fast hero 1-charismatic hero 2- shinobi adept 2- fast hero 1-genjutsu master 5
Still deciding on feats, but is that an ok class progression?

ShadowFox89

Looks like a good class progression. We're going to have to have a psychiatrist on staff for your poor students...
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Kiyomi, as I originally conceived her, was designed as a sort of foil to the other characters of the group. She's, essentially, a work in progress- and her main attribute will be the character development where, basically, she learns the value of basic things like life and bonds.

ShadowFox89

She's like a whiteboard and the other characters have dry erase markers to play with.
Call me Shadow
My A/A