Quotes, sayings and wit

Started by Captain Maltese, December 24, 2016, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

You learn more from losing than from winning. For one thing you lose a great more often than you win.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Wolf O Donnel

We're all stories in the end, just make it a good one.

Captain Maltese

Eat, drink and be merry, because - who ever read past the first five words anyway? Why would you actually need to?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Lady Shadow

Love, have sex, and just be young while you can.
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~

Captain Maltese

“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”

- Zhuangzi

Shekinah

If you want something, you’ll do a thousand things to obtain it. But if you don’t want something, you’ll give a thousand excuses to refrain from it.

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Captain Maltese

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

- John F. Kennedy

Nico

"The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is unreadable and literature is not read." - Oscar Wilde

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Voltaire

Captain Maltese

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice."

- Marquis De Sade

Shekinah

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die

~ Buddha

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

Nico

"I call architecture frozen music." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Captain Maltese

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Winston Churchill

Shekinah

I think a lot of people don't realize that martial arts are just an expression like anything else. It's just that most people are not trained to punch or kick, but you can walk or run or dance, which is also part of expression.
Donnie Yen

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand. The Centauri learned that lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."

- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5.

Nico

"An artist has no home in Europe except in Paris." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

HannibalBarca

Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.

-- Henry Rollins
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Wolf O Donnel

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another." - The Doctor

Shekinah

Do you know why snow is white..? Because it forgot what color it was.
C.C.

kenzan naru tamashii ha; kenzen naru seishin to; kenzen naru nikutai ni yadoru
A sound soul resides in a sound mind and a sound body
Soul Eater

History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
MarieMaia Kushrenada

My O/O's

Nico

Probably one of my favourite quotes ever:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Shekinah

Some sayings from where I grew up

Diam-diam ubi berisi, diam-diam besi berkarat
The Potato grows in silence, The iron corrodes in silence

Lembu punya susu, sapi dapat nama
Milk belongs to the cow, but the bull cow gets the publicity.

Melentur buluh biarlah daripada rebungnya
To bend a bamboo, start when it is a shoot

Terlepas dari mulut buaya, masuk ke mulut harimau
Escaped from a crocodile’s mouth, enter a tiger’s mouth

My O/O's

Nico

"The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water." - Sigmund Freud

Shekinah

"Back when the Bible was written, then edited, then rewritten, then rewritten, then re-edited, then translated from dead languages, then re-translated, then edited, then rewritten, then given to kings for them to take their favorite parts, then rewritten, then re-rewritten, then translated again, then given to the pope for him to approve, then rewritten, then edited again, then re-re-re-re-rewritten again...all based on stories that were told orally 30 to 90 years AFTER they happened.. to people who didn't know how to write... so..." -David Cross

My O/O's

Nico

"No doubt the artist is the child of his time; but woe to him if he is also its disciple, or even its favorite." - Friedrich Schiller

Shekinah

"Whatever you lose, you'll find it again. But what you throw away you'll never get back." Rurouni Kenshin

"Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed?" Andrew Waltfeld

My O/O's

abandoneddolly

this has been my favorite quote  for a long time

" the torture you desire is the greatest of all" Lord Byron

Trigon

"Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal."

- E.O. Wilson

Nico

"Age is an issue of Mind over Matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Captain Maltese

Babylon 5, episode 7 ("War Prayer") Centaurion ambassado Londo Mollari is having a quiet moment with his young attache Vir Cotto after a very rough day.

The scene:

LONDO: ...My shoes are too tight.

VIR: ...Excuse me?

LONDO: Something my father said. He was... Old, very old at the time. I went into his room, and he was sitting, alone in the dark, crying. So I asked him what was wrong, and he said, "My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance." I never understood what that meant until now. My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance.

(Pause)

VIR: ...I don't understand.

LONDO: (Smiling wistfully) Nor should you.

Remiel

"He's had the clap so often it's more like applause."  -CIA Agent Slater, about super-spy Sterling Archer, just one of the many gems on the show Archer

Shekinah

People who don't work hard don't have the right to be envious of the people with talent. People fail because they don't understand the hard work necessary to be successful.

Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many.

My O/O's

Story Tale

"I will always be there when you fall."

- The Ground

Nico

"Who, being loved, is poor?" - Oscar Wilde

Shekinah

I love fairy tales because of their haunting beauty and magical strangeness. They are set in worlds where anything can happen. Frogs can be kings, a thicket of brambles can hide a castle where a royal court has lain asleep for a hundred years, a boy can outwit a giant, and a girl can break a curse with nothing but her courage and steadfastness.

Kate Foresyth

My O/O's

Nico

"Art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth." -Pablo Picasso

VonHellsing

A handful of my favorites.

"...whether you hide in the heavens or on earth, I will bring you down from the spinning spheres; I will toss you in the air like a lion. I will leave no one alive in your realm; I will burn your city and your lands. If you wish to spare yourself and your venerable family, listen to my advice with the ear of intelligence. If you do not, you will see what God has willed."-Hulagu Khan, to the Caliph of Baghdad

"Cursed is the man who dies, but the evil done by him survives."-Abu Bakr as-Siddiq

"Man errs till he ceases to strive."-The Lord; Faust, Part 1

“Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances.” -Herodotus

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity."-H.P Lovecraft

"From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step."-Denis Diderot

"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite."-Attributed to Yakov Smirnov

"Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please."-Niccoló Machiavelli

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways."-Gautama Buddha

"Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war."-Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I define manhood simply: Men should be tough, fair and courageous, never petty. Never looking for a fight but never backing from one either."-John Wayne

"There is no such thing as paranoia. Your worst fears can come true at any moment."-Hunter S. Thompson

"Know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? Fear. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me: I cut off his hands. He offends me: I cut out his tongue. He rises against me: I cut off his head, stick it on a pike. Raise it high up so all in the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. Fear."-Bill the Butcher, Gangs of New York

“War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.”-Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
The difference between gods and demons largely depends on perspective.

Check out my O/Os!

Trigon

Captain Maltese

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Trigon

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

-- Gone With the Wind

Shekinah

I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this. Have a nice day.
Megara - Hercules

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

"Your body is the church where Nature asks to be reverenced." - Marquis De Sade

VonHellsing

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."-Mark Twain

"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."-Ferdinand Foch

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."-G.K Gesterton

"How unlucky I am that this should happen to me. But not at all. Perhaps, say how lucky I am that I am not broken by what has happened, and I am not afraid of what is about to happen. For the same blow might have stricken anyone, but not many would have absorbed it without capitulation and complaint."-Marcus Aurelius

“Conquering the world on horseback is easy; it is dismounting and governing that is hard.”-Genghis Khan

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is barbarity."-Maximilian Robespierre
The difference between gods and demons largely depends on perspective.

Check out my O/Os!

Captain Maltese

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th' oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th' unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.—Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia!—Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remembered.

- Hamlet

Trigon

Nico

"Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness." -  Immanuel Kant

Captain Maltese

"Good luck to you in your holy cause, Captain Sheridan. May your choices have better results than mine. Remembered not as a messenger, remembered not as a reformer, not as a prophet, not as a hero, not even as Sebastian. Remembered only as Jack."

– Sebastian the Inquisitor, Babylon 5

Trigon

Nico

Captain Maltese

From 'The Three Musketeers'.

(Porthos to D'Artagnan): - "You! Boy... are arrogant. Hot tempered. Entirely too bold. I like that. Reminds me of me."

Trigon

Captain Maltese

Being brave is easy until you perceive the seriousness of the threat.

Trigon

Captain Maltese

- "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Roy Battys last words, uttered by Rutger Hauger in Blade Runner. He improvised the lines!

Nico

Captain Maltese

“Then you'll feel your cheek scratched...
A little kiss, like a crazy spider,
Will run round your neck...

And you'll say to me : "Find it !" bending your head
- And we'll take a long time to find that creature
- Which travels a lot...”

― Arthur Rimbaud

Trigon

Nico

Nico

Luryd

From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, and I Am in Them, and That Is Eternity. —Edvard Munch.
• Hyperspecfic fixation  • Open-minded
• Digital Artist  • Sona|OC shipper 
• Romance lover • Fated pair type
∆Venturing into unknow written lands∆

Trigon

Captain Maltese

"Never argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

- Mark Twain

Trigon

“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Captain Maltese

“A poet makes himself a visionary through a long, boundless, and systematized disorganization of all the senses. All forms of love, of suffering, of madness; he searches himself, he exhausts within himself all poisons, and preserves their quintessences. Unspeakable torment, where he will need the greatest faith, a superhuman strength, where he becomes all men the great invalid, the great criminal, the great accursed--and the Supreme Scientist! For he attains the unknown! Because he has cultivated his soul, already rich, more than anyone! He attains the unknown, and if, demented, he finally loses the understanding of his visions, he will at least have seen them! So what if he is destroyed in his ecstatic flight through things unheard of, unnameable: other horrible workers will come; they will begin at the horizons where the first one has fallen!”

― Arthur Rimbaud

Nico

Captain Maltese

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
- Winston Churchill

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Trevino on June 08, 2017, 07:59:31 PM

"I have always liked the story of the piece of paper that they found on the frozen corspe of Captain Scott. "I have done this to show what an Englishman can do". The man was dead, so it was good. If he had written iot in a bistro*, it would have been nothing."

-André Malraux, in an interview

*a bar

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Captain Maltese

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Nico

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 13, 2017, 10:34:51 AM
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
+1
One of my most favourite philosophers!

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Captain Maltese

Nic, I do have a taste for people who can make their minds soar without entirely losing track of their hearts.

-----

Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own... Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

- Robert A. Heinlein

BlueJayHighway

"The one who has enough courage and persistence to gaze at darkness for his entire life will be the first one to notice the gleam of light."~ Khan from Glukhovsky's Metro 2033, own translation, as I could not find the quote in English.

Captain Maltese

"Let everything that's been planned come true. Let them believe. And let them have a laugh at their passions. Because what they call passion actually is not some emotional energy, but just the friction between their souls and the outside world. And most important, let them believe in themselves. Let them be helpless like children, because weakness is a great thing, and strength is nothing. When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win."

- said by the character Stalker, in the 1979 movie "Stalker".

BlueJayHighway

"But if I've got a pack of cigarettes in my pocket,
Then today won't be so bad after all,
And a ticket for the plane with silver wings,
Which flies away, leaving only a shadow on the ground..."

(original: "No esli est' v karmane pachka sigaret,
Znachit vse ne tak uzh plokho na segodnyashniy den'.
I bilet na samolet s serebristym krylom,
Chto, vzletaya, ostavlyaet zemle lish' ten'.")
~Viktor Tsoi, second verse of "Pachka Sigaret" ("Pack of Cigarettes") from his 1989 album, "A Star Called the Sun" ("Zvezda Po Imeni Solntse")

Nico

Captain Maltese

No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not knock those who work with him. Don't knock your friends. Don't knock your enemies. Don't knock yourself.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

Nico

Mistah J

"Nothing can happen til you swing the bat." -Naota, FLCL

"Don't die wondering, man." -Owen, The Way Way Back

"Sex' is as important as eating or drinking and we ought to allow the one appetite to be satisfied with as little restraint or false modesty as the other." -Marquis de Sade
Life is to short to not enjoy yourself. Don't hold back, live it to the fullest, and embrace what you desire.

Captain Maltese

"It's difficult to understand the Greek soul. We are unpredictable and difficult to control. When you think you can control us, that's the time you realize you do not have the control. No one can enslave us, but we manage to enslave ourselves but then again we fight all over again to gain our freedom. It's a long Greek cycle with no end."
- Anonymous

Nico

"A flower blossoms for its own joy." - Oscar Wilde

Luryd

"All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream. I stand amid the roar Of a surf-tormented shore, And I hold within my hand. Grains of the golden sand — How few! yet how they creep, Through my fingers to the deep, While I weep — while I weep!"  - Edgar Allan Poe
• Hyperspecfic fixation  • Open-minded
• Digital Artist  • Sona|OC shipper 
• Romance lover • Fated pair type
∆Venturing into unknow written lands∆

Shekinah

"It is better to be hated for what you are. Than to be loved for what you are not."
Hachiman Hikigaya from Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale."
&
"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not."

Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender

My O/O's

Nico

"Hatred is blind, as well as love." - Oscar Wilde

Thunder Splash

An Irishman is not drunk so long as he can hold on to a single blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Nico

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -
Sherlock Holmes

Nico

"The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, its tides and its depths; it has its pearls too." - Vincent van Gogh

Shekinah

You can only become friends by talking to people and finding out whether you get along.

My O/O's

himawari

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

Captain Maltese

- "I wish unicorns were real."
- "Why? Be glad unicorns are mythical. If they were physical beings, celebrities would own one. There would be organized unicorn hunting safaris. You would be able to buy unicorn meat at the super market."'
- "I wish I had a shotgun."

Deamonbane

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, where do hermaphrodites come from?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Bruja

"We fail, and God forgives us, but I don't know if we can ever really forgive each other ......or ourselves" - Sister Ingalls, Orange Is the New Black

Captain Maltese

(mostly made up in the moment)

Happiness is a warm gun - Beatles
Happiness is a warm nun - Pope Pius I
Happiness is a warm sun - Oppenheimer
Happiness is a warm bun - De Sade
Happiness is a warm c- nevermind
Happiness is a warm hun - Boadicea
Happiness is a warm pun - Cpt Maltese

Mr Quixotic

"What light is to the eyes – what air is to the lungs – what love is to the heart, liberty is to the soul of man. Without liberty, the brain is a dungeon, where the chained thoughts die with their pinions pressed against the hingeless doors."

"When the will defies fear, when the heart applauds the brain, when duty throws the gauntlet
down to fate, when honor scorns to compromise with death – this is heroism."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Request Thread And Story Links          O/O's

Current Status - Actively seeking another story or two. If we've noticed each other but, for som reason never connected, or we've written/plotted before and you'd like to again, please shoot me a PM.

'I, myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.'

Nico

QuirkyHarlequin

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."

~ Edgar Allan Poe

Lady Shadow

Good instincts tell you what to do long before your head has figured it out. - Michael Burke
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
~Elvis Presley~

Gypsywoman

Don't cry because it over,smile that it happen.
Dr. Suess
Just because the road is rocky doesn't that mean your spirit should be rocky too!

Lady Shadow

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -Will Smith
~Elvis Presley~

Nico

Captain Maltese

A good dancer follows the prescribed steps. A great dancer takes those steps and follows and improvises upon them. But a true dancer; a true dancer steps into the dance, heeding only the rhythm until he becomes one with it. He does not dance the dance. The dance dances him.

Gypsywoman

I'm selfish, impatient and a little ensecure. I'm out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle at my worst you as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Marlyn Monroe
Just because the road is rocky doesn't that mean your spirit should be rocky too!

Lady Shadow

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
~Elvis Presley~

Nico

Caelia

"When writing the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Katie Moore

I'd like to share one of my favourite movie quotes. It came from the film V for Vendetta and it goes like this:

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."

Here's another one from the same film:

"We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Basically, I remember these quotes fondly as they make me think about how the right idea for the right reasons can withstand the test of time and mortality.
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax from TES V: Skyrim

Lady Shadow

"Look for something positive in each day, even if some days you have to look a little harder." ~ Anonymous
~Elvis Presley~

Katie Moore

"Whatever your walk in life is, you pick what you want to be, then go ahead and be the best one." - CM Punk
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax from TES V: Skyrim

Gypsywoman

Choas is angel who fell in love by a demon

Christopher Poindexter

Lady Shadow

Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~Elvis Presley~

Captain Maltese

You do not have to be an authoritarian to be an authority.

Katie Moore

There's always a rainbow after the rain.

Gypsywoman

When you have reach the end of your rope, tie a knit in it and hang on.

Franklin D Roosevelt

Katie Moore

"Words can break someone into a million pieces, but they can also put them back together." - Taylor Swift

Deamonbane

Honestly, if you're going to have a dick-measuring competition with a woman, you must have started out with the world's cruelest handicap...

-Alucard, Hellsing Abridged
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Shekinah

When a person lies, what is important is not the lie itself. No, it is their reason. Their why.

My O/O's

Mauler85

It pays to keep an open mind, not so open your brains fall out.

Carl Sagan

Captain Maltese

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

- Dylan Thomas

Nico

SeraphAzriel

"Do unto others...then run."

-Benny Hill

Captain Maltese

"When I started using dynamite... I believed in... many things, all of it! Now, I believe only in dynamite."

from "Duck, you sucker"

Heady Dionysus

Learn well whilst you're in education for life is the worst teacher - it gives you the test first and the lesson later.
Discord ID: Heady Dionysus#8726

The Lady in Gray

"When people think you're dying, they really, really listen to you, instead of just..."

"Instead of just waiting for their turn to speak?"
-The Narrator and Marla, Fight Club.

Dezco

"Hard work keeps the mind and body pure. The devil loves a lazy man."

Trigon

Captain Maltese

"To judge from the notions expounded by theologians, one must conclude that God created most men simply with a view to crowding hell."

- Marquis de Sade

Boatman

Why didn't God know about computers? Anon
History, where creative writing was born.

Mr Quixotic

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
- Groucho Marx

“I hate writing, I love having written.”
― Dorothy Parker

“Now I know the things I know, and I do the things I do; and if you do not like me so, to hell, my love, with you!”
― Dorothy Parker
Request Thread And Story Links          O/O's

Current Status - Actively seeking another story or two. If we've noticed each other but, for som reason never connected, or we've written/plotted before and you'd like to again, please shoot me a PM.

'I, myself, am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.'

HannibalBarca

Knowledge without justice ought to be called cunning rather than wisdom.
Plato

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
Nelson Mandela

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T. S. Eliot

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
Confucius

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
George Bernard Shaw

Silence is a source of great strength.
Lao Tzu

If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Abraham Maslow

All men profess honesty as long as they can. To believe all men honest would be folly. To believe none so is something worse.
John Quincy Adams

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
C. S. Lewis

Until the great mass of the people shall be filled with the sense of responsibility for each other's welfare, social justice can never be attained.
Helen Keller

Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.
Sigmund Freud

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
Socrates

Good fiction creates empathy. A novel takes you somewhere and asks you to look through the eyes of another person, to live another life.
Barbara Kingsolver
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

redkitsune

O human race, born to fly upward, wherefore at a little wind dost thou so fall?
Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost...

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Koli Wolfine

If your looking to be praised, First do something worth being praised about.

Shekinah

Lies are told prevent yourself from getting hurt.

My O/O's

himawari

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

Captain Maltese

They say it is hard to face your demons. Actually it is very easy. All you need to do is look into a mirror.

Divine Tenacity

"There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end they just have to have faith.--
Ain't that a bitch?"

-Church/Epsilon (Red vs. Blue)
Group Games: 0 (pending) | Solo Games: 2  | Post(s) Owed: 2

Check out my Request Thread!

Captain Maltese

Never forget, as you bask in the light, that you are casting a shadow.

Nico

"Why do you try to understand art? Do you try to understand the song of a bird?" - Pablo Picasso

brainsout

to fight!

~ Don Quijote de la Mancha
My o/o thread - My Request thread ( maybe always object to change/ under construction)

Shekinah

My O/O's

Beelzeboob

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
♥toucha, toucha, toucha, touch me I want to be dirty!♥
CURRENTLY: Looking
O/O
A/A
Adopt a bunny

Nico

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"  - Friedrich Nietzsche

Captain Maltese

"I'll see you in hell... you handsome rogue."

- From TF2

Nico

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

TerribleTira

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -Denis Diderot

gaggedLouise

"I am going to miss out on the weightlifters' annual ball, which is on the same night as ours - I certainly regret not getting to attend that one."

-Oliver Lehmann, head manager of the Ball Night for the Sciences of Vienna, a festive ball in support of scientific and open-minded values and with the backing of all major universities and higher schools of the city. The annual event was launched after the far-rightwing party FPÖ took over the Academicians' Ball and aggressively made it their own. There are over 400 public balls organized every winter in the capital of waltz, with classical and modern dancing.

Actually, I would like to watch the Weightlifters' ball too. :)

Nico

Deamonbane

The pen isn't mightier than the sword.
Pens don't win battles.
Swords don't write poetry.
Instead, mighty is the hand that knows when to take up a pen, and when to take up a sword. - Unknown.

Nico

"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything." -  Malcolm X

havocowsky

"Knowledge is like, well, it is like shoes. If you buy shoes yourself, they will stretch out and fit eventually, but if you take someone's shoes, even if they are the same size, they will be uncomfortable. Not at the beginning, however- at first it will be cozy and nice, it will seem like they have survived their trials... But then it turns out you can't run as fast as you'd like..."~A writer from my own country, quote from one of his books in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Universe (obviously due to my own privacy and the fact I don't want to reveal where exactly I'm from I can't say who that is, if you know it then kudos to you), translated by me.

Captain Maltese

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Nico

Quote from: Captain Maltese on May 05, 2018, 09:29:10 AM
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
+1 I love Nietzsche

"It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant

Nico

"I think it’s very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person." - Oscar Wilde

Shekinah

Sepandai-pandai tupai melompat, akhirnya jatuh ke tanah juga
No matter how high the squirrel jumps, it will eventually fall onto the ground.

-Malay proverb-

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

Soleil

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum

Captain Obvious

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Captain Maltese

Captain Maltese

"I am. A professional. Soldier. When I signed my life away on that dotted line I fucking meant it."

- Sarge, "Dog Soldiers"

Deamonbane

The Doctor: I'm not a hero.

Robin Hood: Well, neither am I. But if we both keep pretending to be, perhaps others will be heroes in our name.

Captain Maltese

Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases:
1- It's completely impossible.
2- It's possible, but it's not worth doing.
3- I said it was a good idea all along.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Shekinah

You'll only realize that you truly love someone if they already caused you enormous pain. Your enemies can never hurt you the way your loved ones can. It's the people close to your heart that can give you the most piercing wound. Love is a double-edged sword, it can heal the wound faster or it can sink the blade even deeper.

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
- Will Munny, "Unforgiven"

gaggedLouise

"Somebody's fooled these guys into thinking they are real pop stars and now they are touring up an down the country making deuces of themselves"

- withering review of a dodgy teenybopper band, from a Swedish newspaper in the late 90s :)

Nico

This one. For so many reasons.

"Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo." ("If I can not bend the will of Heaven, I shall move Hell.")

- by Virgil (Juno)

Solaire

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson.

Captain Maltese

There is no public event so horrible that it will not attract more people trying to take pictures for their Facebook page than people trying to help.

Shekinah

The world isn't perfect. But it's there for us, doing the best it can....that's what makes it so damn beautiful

My O/O's

Lovely Complex

"Small progress is still progress."
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

Nico

"There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery" - Dante Alighieri (from: 'The Divine Comedy')

Shekinah

"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within." - Miyamoto Musashi

My O/O's

Lovely Complex

"The best views come from the hardest climbs."
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋

Nico

"Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but of how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness" – Immanuel Kant

Lady Shadow

From the King:

I'm not trying to be sexy. It's just my way of expressing myself when I move around.

Elvis Presley
~Elvis Presley~

Nico

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window." - Gilles Deleuze (from: "A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia")

taurinekitten

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Naenia Nightshade

“You can’t have too many friends or shoes.”

Lady Shadow

~Elvis Presley~

Captain Maltese

"Always she'd be there. Never in between us. Always in the middle."

Grainne

Quote from: Nico on March 02, 2019, 12:00:10 AM
"Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but of how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness" – Immanuel Kant

I love Kant.

Language has created the word 'loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone.-- Paul Tillich
Be the change you wish to see.
------------------------------------------------

Nico

Quote from: Grainne on September 12, 2019, 05:25:58 PM
I love Kant.
Same! I am a huge Philosophy fan.

"I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn." -Anne Frank

Hintoki

“I’m not telling you to make the world better, because I don’t think that progress is necessarily part of the package. I’m just telling you to live in it. Not just to endure it, not just to suffer it, not just to pass through it, but to live in it. To look at it. To try to get the picture. To live recklessly. To take chances. To make your own work and take pride in it. To seize the moment.”

Joan Didion.

Captain Maltese

"Some times the best you can do is not going to be good enough, but you should still try."

- a smith on Forged In Fire

gaggedLouise

"Sometimes, when you're standing so close you're face to face with another man, you cannnot see his face."

-Michail Gorbachev, talking to the press after the 1986 Reykjavik summit, his first major summit with Reagan and an occasion with massive expectations hinged on to the event. The meeting didn't lead to a breakthrough on the arms race, but it may have laid the ground for their later successes. I love the oblique humanity of this quote.

In his memoirs, ten years later, Gorby added that seeing the journalists waiting for them at the end of the hall as they exited the secluded room where the two delegations had been talking about weapons of doom, it felt as if the reporters represented mankind, waiting for some momentous statement, or even to hear its final judgment.

Nico

"Language can only deal meaningfully with a special, restricted segment of reality. The rest, and it is presumably the much larger part, is silence."

(In memoriam) George Steiner, Language & Silence

Redhorn

"Life is a disease: sexually transmitted and invariably fatal."

Neil Gaiman
Ons/Offs
Discord: redhorn_

Despairs

"The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure, instead of having pain and pleasure use you." Tony Robbins
---> Click here to visit current request thread for pairings with plots as well as ons and offs.<---
Note: Strictly  homosexual pairings as the main focus in stories bore me, however I am fine with it as side pairings as long as I write for the males  in a relationship with each other, or the two  males involved with each other and the female in a polyamory relationship.

Status: May be slow in replying to messages due to online Uni and job hunting.

Uni graduation: 8/24/25.

Despairs

When life knocks you down. Stand the fuck up and say "You hit like a bitch."
[
---> Click here to visit current request thread for pairings with plots as well as ons and offs.<---
Note: Strictly  homosexual pairings as the main focus in stories bore me, however I am fine with it as side pairings as long as I write for the males  in a relationship with each other, or the two  males involved with each other and the female in a polyamory relationship.

Status: May be slow in replying to messages due to online Uni and job hunting.

Uni graduation: 8/24/25.

Captain Maltese

"There's something you don't see every day. A gun ship in your rear mirror." - Jeremy Clarkson

Captain Maltese

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts." - 'Lawrence Of Arabia'

Captain Maltese

Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia!—Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remembered.

- from "Hamlet"; Shakespeare

Captain Maltese

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice." - Marquis de Sade

Nali

“Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.” - Albert Einstein

clonkertink

"Falling: one of humanities most feared and misunderstood conditions." -The Tick

Saxman172

“The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
-Douglas Adama

Nico

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise." -Victor Hugo

Love And Submission

Miyuki : You're tough. I love tough guys.

Aniki Murakawa : I wouldn't carry a gun if I were tough.

Miyuki : You can shoot without a second thought.

Aniki Murakawa : I shoot fast because I get scared fast.

Miyuki : But you're not afraid of dying, are you?

Aniki Murakawa : When you're scared all the time, you reach a point when you wish you were dead.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

gaggedLouise

"I learnt that the King hath many bastard children, all known and owned" /paid for/

-Samuel Pepys in his diary, 1666 :)

Captain Maltese

"Good luck to you in your holy cause, Captain Sheridan. May your choices have better results than mine. Remembered, not as a messenger, remembered not as a reformer, not as a prophet, not as a hero, not even as Sebastian. Remembered only .. as Jack."

- from Babylon 5

LostInTheMist

"If you ever find that you're the most talented person in the room, you need to find another room."
--Austin Kleon

"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius."
--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
My Apologies and Absences  Updated February 23, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: All systems green. Posting is being brought up to current.

Captain Maltese

"I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do."
- Liddle, in Flight Of The Phoenix

Captain Maltese

"I don't think you are as wicked as you pretend to be."
"I'm not? Good grief! After all the efforts I've been making! How disappointing!"
- from Corto Maltese And The Ballad Of The Salt Sea

Lain

"I am not a romantic. But even I will concede that the heart does not exist solely for the purpose of pumping blood.”
- Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess from Downton Abbey
My Heritage Is Rebellion.

Captain Maltese

- "I don't like it. He's unstable."
() - "I've bumped him up to sergeant and put him in the mission supply equipment section. What damage can he do there?"
- a really shady Aliens-based pocket book.

Nico

"In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate." - Isaac Asimov

Skadii

Don't make love by the garden gate. Love is blind but the neighbors ain't!

Captain Maltese

“I like a man who grins when he fights.”
- Winston Churchill

Shekinah

Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

“To judge from the notions expounded by theologians, one must conclude that God created most men simply with a view to crowding hell.”
― Marquis de Sade

WordSmith

If you're afraid don't do it; if you're doing it, don't be afraid -Genghis Khan

Captain Maltese

A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.
- John A. Shedd

Lain

Luck is not chance -
It’s Toil -
Fortune’s expensive smile
Is earned -
The Father of the Mine
Is that old-fashioned Coin
We spurned -

— Emily Dickinson

Nico

"Our judgments when we are pleased and friendly are not the same as when we are pained and hostile."

- Aristotle

domatt67

Chris Hadfield, retired astronaut, about the sense of wonder:

QuoteIf been around the world 2650 times or so and I never once could see enough of it.

During my first spacewalk, while I was outside in the dark,
we actually were far enough south that we went through the Earth's aurora.
It is so fantastically beautiful and such a raw, artistic human experience
to look at the northern lights is like magic.
To be in them to surf on them is beyond magic, it's surreal.

My last orbit of the world was even more rich and magnificent and awe-inspiring than all the ones before.
The unherolded beauty of our planet and of where it sits in the environment that we're in
is so constantly magnificent that when you looking at it, you talk in hushed tones.
Like you walked in a giant forest or the most beautiful cathedral on earth.
You don't talk in a big brassy voice there. You're referential of where you are.

Trilby

Stop worrying where you're going
Move on
If you can know where you're going
You've gone
Just keep moving on

I chose, and my world was shaken
So what?
The choice may have been mistaken
The choosing was not
You have to move on

-- Stephen Sondheim

Lain

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear.”

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flux

"Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve"
- Corey Taylor

gaggedLouise

"For whom am I speaking the Language of the Future?"

-the best literary book title I've seen in a long time, by one of the greatest living poets of this country. Göran Sonnevi is past eighty years old (born in 1939),  I've read him on and off since I was in my teens, and the other day spotted this new collection of poems at a book shop. Whether it will turn out to be the last book he publishes in his lifetime or not, it is a great way of stating that language, life and art are open-ended and ever new.  :-)

RedRose

just because you didn't forge a blade, that doesn't mean you can't wield it for your own ends
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Shekinah

The scars that you can’t see are the hardest to heal.

My O/O's

Silvered Sutures

One is never so dangerous when one has no shame, than when one has grown too old to blush. -Marquis de Sade
My O/O Thread
Discord handle; Silvered Sutures

Shekinah

"Death no longer terrifies man, the smell of blood is as common as the smell of white plums. So, he creates slavery and savagery... which surpasses the horror of dying."

My O/O's