Various Star Wars Ideas (Interest Check)

Started by Daril, June 25, 2015, 05:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daril

Thought I'd do an interest check to see if anyone was up for some Star Wars RPGs.  My preference for Star Wars RPGs is to focus on non Jedi characters in the general time period of the original trilogy.  The characters could be rebels, fringe types like smugglers and bounty hunters, or even imperials (one Star Wars story has me interested in playing an operation by Imperial special forces troops).

One question is whether to do a primarily adventure oriented RPG or more of a sexy one.  To be honest the more adventure oriented ideas mentioned in the first paragraph are showing up here primarily because I've had trouble finding a Star Wars RPG forum that I like elsewhere on the net.  The ones that I can find mostly seem to be set in a different era, or are set up for people to focus a great deal on a single character long term, and/or have ongoing high level stories.  I was sort of wanting to find a site where I could start various unrelated stories and people who were interested in joining could just create characters and jump in.

For the more sexy RPGs, I'd been thinking of doing a RPG where a group of escaped slave girls end up going into business using the former slave ship they'd been imprisoned on (their leader would probably be a former spacer who was captured by pirates). On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd thought about doing a rpg about freshly captured slave girls.

Okay, so there's a pretty wide range of ideas here -I kind of figured I'd get them out there and see what people were interested in.

KirbysFolly

Oh man, I would be incredibly interested in any of those ideas. I have been dying for a good Star Wars game.

I'm up for straight adventure, sexiness, and anything in between.

Daril

Are there any particular ideas that interest you?

I kind of like the idea of bringing a group of characters who don't normally work together into a group for something, possibly leading to some internal conflict.  One idea I was thinking of was a newly formed rebel fighter squadron that's having some growing pains.  Imagine a unit that has a lot of newbies plus a troublemaking hotshot or two that other squadrons wanted to get rid of.  :P  (Or heck, make it a newly formed "elite" unit that ends up being a dumping ground for talented troublemakers.)  Another idea I was thinking of was an Imperial special operation (maybe a rescue operation) involving Stormtroopers who want to take the direct approach and personnel from other elite units that prefer a more subtle approach.

Both those ideas might be a bit big unless we can get a fair number of people though.  So perhaps a small group of bounty hunters or the crew of a ship for hire in the Outer Rim would be a better idea.

Nowherewoman

This is a generic 'might be interested', plus a possible suggestion:

What about a smuggler who steals or 'jacks a small cargo ship- and discovers that (s)he has just ACQUIRED said collection of sexy slave girls?  What to do with them?  Sell them?  keep them?  Go into business with them?

Prolly work best as a pretty small game, IMO. YMMV.
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

KirbysFolly

Less interested in playing as Imperials. I'd say I think the Outer Rim spacer types are more appealing than playing as Rebels, but I'd be up for that, too.

Bounty hunters, smugglers, and other scum of the Rim are always fun.

Were you thinking of a system-based game, or free-form? I'm still interested either way, but I've tried running a fighter squadron game online using a system, and it tended to get bogged down in combat, especially if somebody didn't know what they could do.

Daril

@Nowherewoman -I had considered a few ideas that were somewhat along those lines.  For an adventure oriented story, I would probably go with a female rescuer to play down the harem aspect a bit.  :P

Hmmm, if the girls were valuable, their rescuer might find herself with some rather powerful enemies on her tail.

Are there any other ideas that interest you?

@KirbysFolly
-I would definitely be going for freeform.  I'm not keen on systems for online roleplay.

I like the idea of doing a rebel fighter squadron, but I think we might have trouble getting enough players (though I suppose we could have some NPCs).  What about a reconnaissance unit flying scout fighters?  That might be smaller.

Nowherewoman

Well, at least one of the cast needs to be an unsuspected Force+, because, you know, Star Wars.  So expect Jedi and Sith both to be looking for her.

Possibly the entire cargo were weak latent Force users? Being shipped to Korriban when our 'heroine' intervened?

Just tossing ideas at random- still caffeine--

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

KirbysFolly

Either of those ideas could work. I don't mind playing alongside NPCs, myself, and either that or a smaller squadron size could work to lower the number of players required.

An unlucky somebody who stumbles across a cargo of people who are wanted by somebody powerful also sounds like a good start to a game.

Daril

@Nowherewoman -One character with limited force sensitivity would probably be okay.  I generally prefer to concentrate on the "little people" rather than Jedi or Sith though.  (Also, I'd been planning to set this during the general time period of the original trilogy.

I still wonder if it might be better for one or two of the slaves themselves to be responsible for the escape/theft.  Probably a spacer/smuggler who was captured by pirates and maybe one other.  I think a spacer/smuggler might have a greater aptitude for turning the others into her crew than some random ship thief would.

@KirbyFolly -Now that I think about it perhaps a regular squadron with NPCs works better than doing a reconnaissance unit.  Recon units would generally try to avoid engaging the enemy.

For the time being I'm wondering if it's best to concentrate on the ideas I've been talking about with Nowherewoman.  We probably need more people regardless of which RPG we go with, but I don't think we'd need quite as many additional people for that one.

KirbysFolly

Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. A crew with that background could have plenty of opportunities to mess around on their own, while still also having to worry about somebody coming after them for some extra drama/motivation.

Formerly owned by a Hutt, by Black Sun, some Outer Rim crime lord, captured because they knew too much about something, captured by a bounty hunter... there are a ton of options there.

Daril

Okay, so I'm thinking I'll play a twi'lek smuggler who was enslaved by the pirates who captured her ship.  She and one or two of the other slave girls manage to outwit/overpower the person minding them when they're brought out of the slave ship's hold.  They then steal/take over the ship and free the other girls (who I'm hoping we can recruit players for while we're playing out the initial escape).

So we have a few things to work out.  One, what sort of character is each of us planning to play, and two, what sort of ship are the girls going to end up being in possession of?  Part of me favors a small ship so the girls have to contend with very limited living space, while another part favors a larger ship so that there's more for them to do.

Nowherewoman

Smaller ship makes sense. For one thing, anything TOO large would be likely to have quite a bit of security. And might require a larger crew to run effectively, while a small gunboat or blockade runner or freighter could be handled easily by 4-5.

I'm torn between Twi'lek- because you know, it's trite, but Twi'lek! Or a Mirilian because hot green slave girl.  Either a medic or a pit fighter.

Daril

I'd been thinking the ship might be stolen while its on a planetary stopover (maybe a couple of the girls escape when they're brought off the ship to be sold).  I also hadn't planned on the ship being particularly large.  But there's a big difference between a tiny courier ship or shuttle and a decent size freighter/transport.  The ship only carrying a few girls would tend to favor something really small, but the somewhat larger vessels open up some options.

There's also the question of what type of vessel the ship is.  An old freighter?  A former military transport?  Some sort of yacht?

Daril

A couple additional thoughts.  Given the way things are going, perhaps we should ditch the escaped slaves angle and just do a RPG with a smuggling crew.  Maybe a few girls from a backwater planet bought out a retiring smuggler's ship and get into loads of trouble as they learn the business.

Alternately if we're sticking with the escaped slaves part perhaps the ship isn't specifically a slave ship, but is part of the fleet/squadron of a notorious pirate queen (not sure that you guys are into anime style images, but this image is a bit of an inspiration) who does not take kindly to having one of her favorite ships stolen.  :P

Nowherewoman

Don't care for anime, mostly, but I like the pic, sorta ;D

The idea of a handful of slaves who contrive to steal a ship from a pirate flotilla has some promise. the 'four chicks pool resournces and buy a ship' angle is, of course, the simplest and cleanest start, but it's also kind of vanilla.

Daril

That depends how much trouble they get into, but yeah, let's go with the pirates angle for now.

I'm thinking of going with some sort of "Armored Transport" for the ship.  Maybe about fifty to sixty meters long, well armed with a very tough hull.  A good ship for doing business in lawless regions of space.  ;)

I figure that while the ship is in port, my captured smuggler and your character are brought out, perhaps to be sold.  However they manage to outwit/overpower the pirate(s) who are minding them and steal the ship.  The other slave girls would be pets of the ship's crew, and perhaps have learned a few things about running the vessel from their time aboard it. 

Actually I'd been thinking that perhaps the ship in question was the Pirate Queen's own ship rather than just part of her flotilla.  Having her personal ship and personal pets stolen would give her cause to come after the escaped girls with a vengeance.  Though I kind of like the idea of having the pirate queen accompanied by her pets in her scenes, and that's kind of hard to do if they've already been stolen.  (I've also considered making the pirate queen, her crew, and her pets the focus of a RPG, but I'm not sure that would work quite as well as the RPG focused on the escaped slaves.)

Nowherewoman

Pirates works well!  Arrrgh!

Are we looking for crew or slaves for the other characters? Or a mix? I'm still leaning a bit towards a gladiatrix.

Daril

That depends whether we're doing escaped slaves or a pirate crew.  For the freed slaves, I was thinking there would be two groups that combine together form the crew.  The first would be recent captures who the pirates planned to sell -this is the group that the initial escapees come from (my recently captured smuggler would be among them).  The other would consist of slaves who were kept aboard the ship as pets for the crew.  Of course there are alternate scenarios.