Dungeons and Dragons Request :)

Started by Kate, September 10, 2009, 08:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decrepitdan

I think id rather work my way up, abilities dont mean much to me unless my characters bled for them. :) Hopefully one starts from level 1!

Cythieus

Quote from: Decrepitdan on September 26, 2009, 10:55:43 AM
I think id rather work my way up, abilities dont mean much to me unless my characters bled for them. :) Hopefully one starts from level 1!

The one we're making them for starts at 15.

It seems like an Exercise in game breaking because my character has 30 DEX and her weapon is capable of these: 1d8+6+1d6+2d6+1d6+2d6+4d6 → [6,6,5,6,1,3,4,2,6,6,3,2] = (50)

...kind of rolls.

Doomsday

I'd rather start low as well, it's mind boggling, trying to make a level 15 character.

Decrepitdan

Yeah, it's hard to start out at a given high level. Other than the lack of a sense of achievement, I find players mess up or misuse their abilities a lot when they do that.

Cythieus

I use a character generator. Typically I make up a story for them as to how they got that way.

Decrepitdan

I did that once or twice, and so many people I played with had no-bake stories it was pathetic. :)

Cythieus

I had a story for one girl that went back to her Grand Father, another pair of characters were married and had a daughter. I go into likes, dislikes, preferences, addictions, family history, temperament, sometimes enemies and the like. You want to give a DM a lot to work with.

BenedictWolfe

Meh; I once made an ECL 500 character for a roleplay.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Decrepitdan on September 26, 2009, 11:12:26 AM
I did that once or twice, and so many people I played with had no-bake stories it was pathetic. :)

If their characters had names, be thankful.

Decrepitdan

With the group I played with, believe me I was!
        -NONATIONARMY: You have my uunequivocal agreement, ive seen too many campaigns tank because of lack of character depth, which inevitably led to infighting.

MasterMischief

I do not think that was the real issue.  Some people want to kill things and take their stuff.  Some people want to start an improvisational trope.  Sprinkle in all sorts of desires between these two extremes and is it any wonder there is so much rancor?

I think the trick is to find people with similar tastes, just as anything else in life.

As far as the Edition Wars, I think it comes down to some people see some aspects as flaws where others see them as features.  In order to justify their own position, people color those aspects in a way to better support their own preferences.

It is ridiculous because anyone with two brain cells knows D&D is full of fail!  Hero System FTW!!1!!shift+1   ;D

Cythieus

Quote from: Decrepitdan on September 26, 2009, 12:42:39 PM
With the group I played with, believe me I was!
         -NONATIONARMY: You have my uunequivocal agreement, ive seen too many campaigns tank because of lack of character depth, which inevitably led to infighting.
Well right now I am in a large long term campaign and I am running it too and one of my basic problems is how some of the other characters seem to show little growth or remorse.

Our Sorcerer has been responsible for the party burning down half a town, getting some other innocents killed and almost destroying an airship, but the person playing him continues to act rashly and the others see that as his personality. Thing is you would think he would learn after like over a year of them being together and 10 levels of work.

And yeah, I had too many people enter my game at first with two line back stories. Some of them under the guise that their character was mysterious. You know, stuff like this:

Not much is know about Evin Felldarkwindshadow, he's a mysterious and powerful individual.

[size="4"]Name: Deirdre d’Cannith AKA "Dee"[/size]

Race: Human
Class: Swashbuckler

Appearance:
Dee stand's five foot five and is about 130 pounds in weight. She has dark brown hair that is usually styled in ringlet curls and falls to the middle of her back, pale white skin and green eyes. Dee has a curvaceous body type which she's very proud of and always trying to show off. Besides that, Dee is very particular about her hair and hates to get it messed up or wet without good reason (part of her up bringing). Dee's regular clothes (under the armor) are a fine leather vest and a red dress. She's also either wearing boots or heeled boots.

She speaks with what would be a British accent.

Personality:
Dee is a free spirit. She is trying to go her own way in life. While her family was a huge part of her early life she quickly out grew them. She can’t stand to be held down and confined by anyone. Even then she never gave much weight to politics or patriotism because she never had much of a reason to. In her life, her parents were the ultimate control. At the same time, she has a deeply kind side that she tries to conceal because she figures that others will see it as weakness. Dee loves children and animals no matter how much she professes not to. Because of studies as a girl, Dee has a good head when it comes to math and science. She boasts some decent problem solving skills.

At the same time she tends to play dumb a lot because she has seen how some men don’t trust intelligent women. Dee can be selfish to a point, but at the same time she doesn’t like seeing kids suffer and she has some sense of right and wrong, even if it doesn’t line up with everyone else’s and the law. Whether asked or not, you can be sure that Dee will voice her opinion. She is also very proud of her body and frequently expresses as much. While daring, she is cautious and understands when she is outmatched. She is used to living in luxury and it shows in her taste in clothes, how she keeps up her appearance and her mannerisms.

Immediate Family:
Father – Victor
Mother – Heather
Sister – Valleria (26)
Sister – Cissinei (16)
Brother – Cambreth (22)

Background:
Dee was born in Cyre in 975 YK into the House of Cannith to, Victor and Heather d’Cannith. Despite growing up in the latter end of The Last War, Dee was well educated and grew rather used to living in the lap of luxury. Despite that she quickly grew tired of the special treatment she received and the way that she was to have her whole life planned out before her. The idea of having no say so in who she was and what she did bothered and upset her and as she grew into adolescence. The idea that they profited from the suffering of others bothered her as did feelings of uncertainty about her own freedom. Time went on and these things bred arguments with her parents.

They were disappointed that their daughter wasn’t growing up with the same respect for the house her brother and sisters had. She had little to no interest in their business and what they produced and when being told about it or lectured she couldn’t be bothered to stay awake.

Her parents also worried about the company that she kept and the things she was interested in. She spent her time practicing with sword and mace and to curb this interest, her parents put her in fencing lessons. Most of her graceful movements with thin blades were picked up there and she grew fond of the feel of a light blade over heavier, less precise ones. Fencing gave her a form of control, something that she had in her hands and could use to her liking.

Dee took the same approach to relationships, treating her significant others as disposable to the point that her father questioned her and told her that he prayed she settled down some day and just raised a nice family that could contribute to the house. Dee wouldn’t have it. While she did have friends many of them were like her and couldn’t understand why she would push back so harshly against the influence of her house.

In 994, just days before the destruction of Cyre her family was asked to go to Taer Valaestas on business. Despite her protests they left from their home in the safety of Cyre and before they had returned, the entire city was destroyed by unknown causes along with the family Patriarch. Dee has fond memories of Starrin d'Cannith from when she was small child and when things were happy. She saw her family as being the blame for the escalation of destructive power in the war, though. And she was sure that something in the forge of the Cannith House had caused the tragedy.

The fighting between her and her mother became more and more furious and frequent, she decided that it might be time that she make a path for herself. Dee and her mother had never been close, mostly because of Dee’s overly flirtatious nature as a young teen and her rebellious habits. She spent her time gambling and drinking.

After the war ended, the arguments still continued. When her parents received word that there was some business to which someone needed to attend, they asked Dee if she wanted to help. The problem was something that shouldn’t have been too dangerous and would have allowed Dee to use her fighting skills. She reluctantly took the mission, less because she wanted to please them and more because she wanted to see what this life they wanted her to live would be like.

Dee took the fighting rather naturally and with an eagerness that impressed even her. But the bureaucracy with which the situation was bogged down constantly and the red tape and restrictions bothered Dee and only increased her annoyance with the family. At the same time, she caught glimpses of how people lived outside of the better areas of town and was startled to see that what she had thought of as improvised was nowhere near it.

The poor people that she saw out there were truly poor and it made her wonder even more what her family was doing besides causing trouble for these people.

Then Dee would purposefully start fights with people to show off her skills, never killing anyone but usually causing the authorities to step in and stop the fight. Her parents took notice of this and tried to reason with her and get her to see things their way. But their way involved no freedom and no more fighting.

Dee desired to leave above all else. And while she had the money, she really had nowhere to go because her experiences with other people that she was close to were basically nonexistent. Curiously one of her infamous fights landed her in jail; her parents didn’t care to bail her out this time because they wanted her to learn her lesson. While she was there a letter came to the jail telling her to come to Sharn.

When she was released, she decided to pursue it.

Goals:
To forge her own path in life and make a name for herself without her house’s influence.

Quote from: MasterMischief on September 26, 2009, 12:51:56 PM
I do not think that was the real issue.  Some people want to kill things and take their stuff.  Some people want to start an improvisational trope.  Sprinkle in all sorts of desires between these two extremes and is it any wonder there is so much rancor?

I think the trick is to find people with similar tastes, just as anything else in life.

As far as the Edition Wars, I think it comes down to some people see some aspects as flaws where others see them as features.  In order to justify their own position, people color those aspects in a way to better support their own preferences.

It is ridiculous because anyone with two brain cells knows D&D is full of fail!  Hero System FTW!!1!!shift+1   ;D

What's Hero system?

MasterMischief

Cythieus

I am kind of liking the Cortex System so far.

Decrepitdan

Nice development, NoNation. I actually had people a teensy bit more creative than that, but by the time we had the third person orphaned by a forest fire or marauding orcs...I just planted my forehead in my hand and knew it would be a long campaign. I unfortunately, was DM.
    I don't like Hero system myself, i'll stick with DnD, she's been a faithful mistress.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Decrepitdan on September 26, 2009, 01:08:18 PMI actually had people a teensy bit more creative than that, but by the time we had the third person orphaned by a forest fire or marauding orcs...I just planted my forehead in my hand and knew it would be a long campaign.

Next time I get one of those, I am going to have the family show up later in the campaign.  "Oh, yeah, sorry about the whole faking our own death thing.  We kind of wanted to just get away from you.  You're kind of violent."

MasterMischief

Quote from: Decrepitdan on September 26, 2009, 01:08:18 PMI don't like Hero system myself, i'll stick with DnD, she's been a faithful mistress.

If I wanted to be an ass, here is where I would say D&D has no verisimilitude, feels to video-gamey and rapes thousands of years of mythology.

But I would not say that.  It is just a matter of taste.  And yours is no less valid than mine.

This is not directed at you, Decrepitdan.  Just trying to show people how others might feel.

Decrepitdan

Well said, not-opponent! *chuckles* It would be interesting however if DnD hadn't come along, I wonder where gaming would be without the d20 system...still in the Napoleonic war reenactment phase?

MasterMischief

That is a very intriguing question.  May I suggest you start a thread to entertain that discussion?

Decrepitdan

I would gladly join the thread mentioned above, im just feeling lazy right now. Supeeeerbly lazy.

OldSchoolGamer

Circling back 'round to the original point of the thread:

I would be willing to run a game using the OSRIC/AD&D 2.0 system (which is freely downloadable).  I would not be able to run a 3.0+ D&D game because I don't have the materials, and the math coprocessor in my gray matter is already overclocked trying to cope with the Calculus I class I'm taking.  Anyone interested, PM me.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Decrepitdan on September 26, 2009, 01:56:08 PMI would gladly join the thread mentioned above, im just feeling lazy right now.

No problem.  I love the deep, meaningful, philosophical questions.

OldSchoolGamer

Anyone interested in a 2.0 AD&D game?

Cythieus

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O