Date A Live (BESM 3th edition game, newbie friendly)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, April 13, 2014, 12:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

In short this game is based on above anime but everyone plays original characters. Players can play either as humans or spirits and they have different char gen for points and there is going to be three faction (plus being factionless) which give some penalties but also bonuses what you can use.

Overall plot is briefly thus; now in years ago appeared massive space quake, as the events are now called. It creates sudden explosive gravitational force which tears and destroy things around them and in center of each these quakes stand spirits which then go cause havoc and often destruction in their wake.

To battle against these spirits world governments founded AST (Anti-Spirit Teams) fight them and eliminate them. They use most advanced weapons and armor what earth has ever produced (flying armored battle suits, forcefields, beam cannons you name it) and it borderlines on magic in highest tech and skill combination used (and some cases Chi energy which employs specific tech). But still even these elements combined AST rarely gets a kill and instead drives spirit away for time until it returns.

There is organization called Ratatoskr, they also confront spirits but more in diplomatic fashion. Instead seeking to kill them, they try befriend them and help them love earth and earthlings and get them settled for normal lives. How they do it? By employing humans (men and women) who can seal spirits power with a kiss when spirit is in certain height of emotional mood. They achieve this task by employing these rare men and women to go with date with said spirits (who more often than not are naive or not even know about earth and it's people, nor know anything about themselves as they just one day woke up after space quake and found themselves on earth).

It has been studied and noticed the people who seal spirits get some of their powers whiting them, giving them higher endurance, resilience or even mysterious powers. While spirit's power is sealed they can barely grasp in them, but in emotional crisis (or when their feelings to sealer change), they regain use of their powers.

There is third organization; FSBT (Forceful Spirit Binders Team), it's a sub branch from mercenary organization known as Red Moon Arms Industry. FSBT as name indicates focus on sealing but also binding spirits. How they do it? Well, their approach is similar to Ratatoskr by using people who can seal spirits powers through a kiss. But they also employ a unknown formula created deodorant/perfume which functions will weakening aphrodisiac against spirits and thus making seduction of them easier.

However unlike Ratatoskr they do not seek seal spirit powers and help settle spirits down into happy life; instead they exploit spirits as supreme combat monsters handled by their sealers who more often than not fight besides the spirits in wars and conflicts in earth in service of highest bidder. Some governments have grown interest on this prospect as already united states had employed several FSBT members as anti-terrorist weapons in successful campaign, but so far the secret recipe for the deodorant/perfume formula eludes any spy labs who had got samples to analyze it.

Either case, FSBT do not use dates to produce needed emotional level for sealing process; they achieve it through borderline non-consensual sexual acts between spirits and sealers. Also organization forces a strict master and servant training and brainwashing to spirits to ensure their loyalty and obedience towards organization and the sealers. To avoid to grow too close attachment to one specific person the spirits get to be sealed by several sealers (this seems not limit spirits powers at all and allows sealers have multiple powers from few spirits).

Then there are human sealers who are not yet discovered either by FSBT nor Ratatoskr nor are part of AST. Just regular humans who meet spirits after space quakes when said humans have failed flee to space quake shelters in their towns.

System: We use BESM 3th edition rules. If your unfamiliar with the system, I can help generate the charsheet based on player's wishes. Overall system uses 2d6 dice where you add modifier and try get same or over target number to succeed. There are three stats; Body, Mind and Soul. These are core stats of the chars and determine their qualities. Body is for all physical aspects like strength, stamina and dexterity. Mind is for overall intelligence and perception (and is often trait associated psychic powers). Soul is charisma, willpower and determination (and is associated more traditional magic).

Once spend points for your three stats, then we get to attributes which actually determine all traditional 'powers' or 'special' stuff about the character. Weapons, armor, wealth, organization ties/contacts, superpowers and all this are considered attribute. Lastly comes skills where you spend points to get ranks with them and specialty which gives +1 bonus to tasks related to it with said attribute (like Seduction skill with specialty in verbal).
Expected Sex Content: Up to players, but those from FSBT should expect lots of sex and often non-consensual sort scenarios and kinky BDSM sort stuff also.
Players: Are either humans or spirits, chargen details for each in below. Humans need choose which three faction they belong (if any), spirits starts unbound to any faction.

Char Gen

We use energy points and also shock values. Benchmark max values are in place but there are no benchmark minimums (so you can start with combat value of 0 or even start 10 HP). Skills are purchased based on Modern Day Romantic Comedy cost factors (as despite all combat and NC elements the central core of Date A Live is meant to be romantic and sometimes comedic interaction between humans and spirits).

Humans
They are generated with Heroic amount of points (175pts) with max -10 defects (besides faction granted ones). 60% points to stats, 15% on attributes and 25% on skills is recommended point spread.

Note; To play human who is able seal spirit's powers is a 10pts costing attribute and simply called Spirit Sealing. Whenever human seals a spirit, they gain max 15pts of spirit's one attribute transfered to them as 'sealing pact' bonus. Thus giving sealers some spirit's powers into himself.

Humans themselves have no special powers if not count power of sealing. Or access to rare tech, power armors and high tech weapons.

Spirits
They are generated with Mythical amount of points (300pts) with max -10 defects (besides faction granted ones). 50% points to stats, 40% points to attributes and 10% on skills is recommended point spread.

Note; Spirits who's powers are sealed they cannot gain access to any of their attributes (stats and skills unaffected) unless in emotional stressful situation (GM decides how many points of attributes are returned to spirit but it's usual twice to amount sealer has gained) or when their feelings with sealer go more negative. If spirit looses all positive emotions towards their sealer, the sealer looses the points he gained through sealing and spirit regains fully their powers.

Also, some spirits had been originally been human before they became spirits (bestowed upon them by unknown spirit known as Phantom) so their situation is more complex. They spend 25% points on attributes and 25% on skills compared normal spirits.

Either way, spirits have strong combat powers universally but some eschew this and have different power sets but are still none the less hunted down by AST.

Faction Templates

These three templates are applied to chars who join any the three factions presented; AST, Ratatoskr or FSBT.

AST
-Attributes (7pts); Organizational Ties (level 1, 2pts), Wealth (level 1 or +1 if purchased own points, 5pts)
-Defects (7pts); Conditional Ownership (-2pts, high tech military gear), Owned (-2pts, a long term contract), Red Tape (-3pts, strict military organization)

Ratatoskr
-Attributes (3pts); Organizational Ties (level 1, 2pts), Ear communication device (1pt long distance radio phone)
-Defects (5pts); ISM (-2pts, people naturally would be suspicious or dislike you because of open association with spirits, especially members from AST would strongly dislike), Owned (-2pts, organization has bit control over char's free time and char is bound by contract), Significant Other (-1pts, spirit partner and this is fluid defect which stacks up on number of spirits sealed)

FSBT
-Attributes (7-8pts); Special Cologne/Perfume (human sealer members only, 6pts item which functions as achilles heel vs all spirits, doubling seduction roll results vs them), Organizational Ties (level 1, 2pts), Wealth (level 1 or +1 if purchased own points, 5pts, non-sealers only)
-Defects (9-15pts); Conditional Ownership (-3pts, spirits are owned entirely by organization so spirit does not has much free will nor human sealer partners have much say about her use if any), Confined Movement (-2pts, cannot leave city area without permission from organization, spirits gain this as -6 defect), Owned (-4pts, a lifetime long contract, spirits gain this as -6 defect)

Note; Any points left over from each faction's defect player can freely spend where they wish it. So in short spirit bound to FSBT has 13 extra points (as they get organizational ties level 1 although unlikely they ever get it higher than that).

Emotion meter/Seduction of Spirits

As important factor for human sealers is that spirit is in proper 'mood' when kiss is done. Only Ratatoskr or FSBT seals spirits if not count non-faction related sealers (which is rare minority). Ratatoskr achieves this through dating spirits and thus to move emotion meter is to entertain spirit (spirit player decides when emotion meter is high for kiss or is it exceptionally high or in 'max'). To dating any usual skills like gaming, sports, local knowledge and other social skills are useful.

FSBT other hand is much more direct; they outright seduce spirits while wearing perfume which functions like aphrodisiac for spirit which works through close contact inhalation. They need roll successful seduction against spirit's mind stat. Once successful their 'damage' to spirit's energy points is equal to seducer's soul stat multiplied by seduction skill ranks (how charismatic and skilled they are). Once spirit's energy points fall to zero, they submit to the sexual act fully and thus are proper emotional state to be sealed. Usually sealing is done outside organization base and then sealed spirits are transported base for re-education.

The process where FSBT trains spirits to be submissive slave pets for sealers and organization is roleplayed out between players. But overall number of days forced endure BDSM sort treatment equal to their spirit's soul stat (plus mind shielding attribute ranks) will convert them would be good guideline.

[float=left][img height=250]Place picture URL address here[/img][/float]
[b]Name/Codename:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Status (spirit or human):[/b]
[b]Faction (can choose later):[/b]
[float=left][spoiler=Background]
Lots of Text here please :)
[/spoiler][/float]

[u][b]STATS[/b][/u]
[list]
[li]Body:[/li]
[li]Mind:[/li]
[li]Soul:[/li]
[/list]
[b]Health Level:[/b]
[b]Energy Points:[/b]
[b]Shock Value:[/b]
[b]Attack Combat Value:[/b]
[b]Defense Combat Value:[/b]
[b]Damage Multiplier:[/b]

[float=left][spoiler=ATTRIBUTES]
[list]
[li]Alternate Form (x rank, customization; xxx, total points spend: xxxpts)[/li]
[li].....[/li]
[/list]
[/spoiler][/float]

[float=left][spoiler=SKILLS&SPECIALITIES (list only ones with ranks)]
[list]
[li]Acrobatics (x rank, specialties; xxx, xxx, xxx)[/li]
[li].....[/li]
[/list]
[/spoiler][/float]

[float=left][spoiler=DEFECTS (including any gained from factions)]
[list]
[li]Achilles Heel (-xpts, details shortly)[/li]
[li].....[/li]
[/list]
[/spoiler][/float]

Vanetias

pendarious

I'm not really familiar with BESM but I am Familiar with Date A Live so I'm in I suppose.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I can help generate your char and guide through BESM char gen :).

pendarious

Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Zaer Darkwail

Okay, updated first post to add a charsheet for everyone's use.

steelsmiter

Do regular humans still get the Alternate Form, Acrobatics, or Achilles Heel?
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Zaer Darkwail

Humans in general do not have special powers unless they are part of AST or FSBT (as both have military grade gear which borderlines on wizardry in the setting). Sealers have 10pts spend on attribute called simply 'Spirit Sealing'. Besides that they can spend attribute points on weapons, armor, organizational ties, wealth and so on.

If wondering why those things are in charsheet; they are there as mere 'example' in there how type things there.

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 14, 2014, 07:09:13 PMthey are there as mere 'example' in there how type things there.
Alrighty Gotcha, Do you mind if I play a chemist that uses a pneumatic rifle which shoots various darts or slugs? I'm thinking about not taking the Ammo modifier because you say their gear borders on wizardry, which immediately got me thinking of an alchemist or apothecary.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Zaer Darkwail

I am fine with that concept :). So going to AST or FSBT?

steelsmiter

Aww crap! I just realized both factions are very mean to spirits! Well that sucks. I was hoping to be on the side of spirits, not forcefully binding them to do anything, or trying to destroy them. Just trying to stop the people that would do any of that... That's a toughy. I'm not sure which I want at this point.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

pendarious

he could be part of Ratatoskr....their staff has some pretty screwy equipment

steelsmiter

Quote from: pendarious on April 14, 2014, 07:25:31 PM
he could be part of Ratotoskr....their staff has some pretty screwy equipment
Actually that was kinda the hope. Like... be a Ratotoskr without the spirit binding thing.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

pendarious

well the majority of their staff aren't sealers most of them are either "Experts" who help the sealers (expert is used VEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYY loosely here) or agents who fight against AST and in the case of the rp FSBT to hold them off while the sealers do their thing.

Zaer Darkwail

Ratotoskr is viable but they are peaceful in their interference, so a sniper with alchemical ammo at best gives sleeping darts or such sort things. Or work by codename like Cherub who could snipe spirits also if they go wacky (make spirit fall asleep or give emotion calming drug or such).

So it can work also with Ratotoskr but they are not violent; they are more misleading and cunning sort (remember the one episode where they went to hot springs and entire Ratotoskr arsenal was thrown to AST team who was planning do exact same thing? Spagheti shibari bondage stuff etc).

steelsmiter

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on April 14, 2014, 07:49:09 PM
Ratotoskr is viable but they are peaceful in their interference, so a sniper with alchemical ammo at best gives sleeping darts or such sort things.
Aah crap, that means slugs are out.

QuoteOr work by codename like Cherub who could snipe spirits also if they go wacky (make spirit fall asleep or give emotion calming drug or such).
Well... I was hoping to snipe people really.

QuoteSo it can work also with Ratotoskr but they are not violent; they are more misleading and cunning sort (remember the one episode where they went to hot springs and entire Ratotoskr arsenal was thrown to AST team who was planning do exact same thing? Spagheti shibari bondage stuff etc).
Oh sorry I'm going in blind, I just kinda liked the concept. I haven't seen any source material. So does the anime ever explain why there aren't people acting with outrage against those that would try to take advantage of the spirits?
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Zaer Darkwail

Watch just first episode, it explains things quite well :P.

But in short in 30 years ago first spirit manifested and created world's first space quake (a event where things explode and die like atomic bomb but it's black explosion of energy which has some anti-matter sort element or gravity bending). Overall it slew 150 million people less than second.

Now, since then more spirits have appeared across world and their space quakes aren't same scale as first one but they are simply destructive (and spirits themselves are destructive usually, like blowing things up or killing people). AST was found to fight against them in brutal fashion as possible (sponsored by nations and military). Now presently people can predict in like 1-2 minute warning when space quake is about hit and people run to local space quake shelters (which are deeply in underground).

Now, besides AST is Ratotoskr which funder is unknown (to me anyways as not read novels), but they are pacifist sort organization which purpose is to end spirit threat peacefully by dating the spirits and making them love the world (as most spirits have no memories as human and so they are 'blank slates'). However, spirits own malicious energies would cause destruction and harm, so they use humans which bond with spirits and kiss them to seal their powers. However it's not permanent; as spirit's emotional wellbeing needs constantly monitored and taken care off to keep spirit's powers sealed.

Now, my own RP created third organization FSBT does not seek destroy spirits but rather exploit them in mercenary military organization and in their operations (use them shortly as weapons). To do so they use also humans with sealing powers but overall process is more 'sinister'. So even if they are discovered, the general population has zero empathy towards spirits (that's why they need fake ID's and slided secretly in to high schools and thus infiltrate normal society with aid of Ratotoskr).

pendarious

my character

character image

Name/Codename: Minase Miya (Dark Knight)
Status (spirit or human): Spirit
Faction (can choose later): N/A (Subject to Change)
Background

As a spirit Miya is a being that can be considered non human and thus originated from the "Other World" that is apparently on the other side of the "Spacequakes" that occur when a spirit appears. Miya first appeared in the human world roughly five years ago. Due to her nature as a spirit the governments Anti Spirit Teams have consistantly hounded her over the years.  When ever she has been able to catch a break from her pursers she has been able to integrate herself into human society and thus has a strange fondness for them as a whole.

She tends to live freely and enjoy herself but she isn't above getting her hands dirty if she is angered. She has made it a habit to kill thugs who are unlucky enough to "invite her to hang out" as it were. She is also prone to killing those she catches torturing small animals for no real reason. Her personality as a whole has the tendency to swing around in some strange ways.

STATS

• Body:6
  • Mind:6
  • Soul:3
Health Level:45
Energy Points:45
Shock Value:9
Attack Combat Value:6
Defense Combat Value:5
Damage Multiplier:5

ATTRIBUTES

Power Flux: Shadow (around 50 points I think)
    Power Flux: Shadow Creation (also around 50 points)
    Heightened Awareness
    Heightened Senses
    Regeneration
    Environmental Influence
    Mind Control
    Mind Shield
    Sensory Block
    Special Movement
    Alternate Identity
    Massive Damage
    Teleport (22 points)
    Combat Attack Mastery

SKILLS&SPECIALITIES (list only ones with ranks)

Sleight of hand- Lock picking, Pick Pocketing, Stage magic (3 points)

Stealth- Silent Movement (2 points)

Urban Tracking- Residential (2 points)

Wilderness Survival- Forest ( 1 point)

Wilderness Tracking- Forest (1 point)

Languages- Lip Reading (1 point)

Forgery- Electronic Documents (2 points)

Burglary- Safe Cracking (2 points)

Interrogation- Drugs (2 points)

DEFECTS (including any gained from factions)

Zennith Hours- Negates most of her abilities when there are no shadows

MistressVoluptas

How about dem apples?
Name/Codename: Luna Feychild
Status (spirit or human): Spirit(Phantom)
Faction (can choose later): None
Background

Oh you want to ask about little old me? I don't remember much at the start I don't think I was always a spirit. I do remember a fancy house filled with lots of toys and a loving father, but one day mother came out of the sky and father....kind of exploded after that everything went went...fuzzy for a long time. But it's ok because mother took to her home and we lived there so happily for a long time. I'm not sure what time is anymore, to be honest so I just guess but I think it's what you'd call a while? Anyways Mother me how to play with all my new brothers and sisters. Oh we had the best games like the ones with fire and swarms with bees. I always loved those! Sometimes though my brothers and sisters went away. They almost always came back, until some day many didn't and I learned that those terrible humans had formed some group called....umm ASP? Act? ICKY? Oh right AST. They hurt my friends and the didn't come back because of them. I CAN'T STAND THEM HOW DARE THEY! I WILL SHOW THEM GAMES! GAMES WITH SCISSORS AND WASPS AND CANDIES MADE FROM THEIR SKULLS! *gasping she breathes deeply and tries to calm down from her rant* However, even if mother doesn't like it I have to go away for a while and stop them.

I haven't been here long, but humans can be so very rude! They're never happy to see me. Often calling me "Weird ghost girl" or something or refusing to acknowledge me like they can't see me or even running away! Although a few do often mention how cute I am that makes me feel. I don't know warm? It's been a long time since I felt warm...since father died ad things got all fuzzy and floaty I think in fact...weird. I kind of wish the only thing people only seem to see is my enormous breasts though. I mean sure they're huge and fun to play with, but I have other things!
At least people seem to like my singing most of the time.

STATS

• Body:6
  • Mind:3
  • Soul:6
Health Level:60
Energy Points:45
Shock Value:12
Attack Combat Value:5
Defense Combat Value:5
Damage Multiplier:5

ATTRIBUTES

• Insubstantial (7 rank, LR: Maximum(-7) SR: Semi-Permanent;(-9) total points spend: 40 pts)
  • Flight (1 rank, LR Maximum; -1 LR: Dependent Insub. -1, total points spend: 6pts)
  • Appearance (3 rank, Sexy Large Breasts total points spend: 3pts)
  • Aura of Insp.(Seduction) (3 ranks Max(-3) Depend -2 Insub+flight, total: 7pts)
  • Mind Shield (3 rank, LR:Max(-3) Dependent (-1): 2pts)
  • Resistance (3 rank, LR(Max(-3); Dependant(-1), total: 2pts)
  • Telepathy(Spirifiers)  (6 Ranks, Max(-6) (Detectable(-3) Concentration(-6)
  • Telekinesis(Anything Metal) (5 ranks, Maximum(-5), total points spend: 15pts)
  • Mind Control(Possession)(Spirifiers)(6) ranks, LR:Max (-5) UR Loses Insub.(-7)Depend-2) Mind Shield, Resistance, (UR: Irreversible on own(-2)Charges(-6) Duration: 1 Hour total: 2)

SKILLS&SPECIALITIES (list only ones with ranks)

• Seduction (10 rank, specialties; emotional, xxx, xxx)
  • Stealth (7 rank, specialties; Silent Movement, Concealment, xxx)
  • Intimidation (5 rank, specialties; Psychological)
  • Demolition (3 rank, specialties; Artificial structure)
  • Electronics (3 rank, specialties; Security)
  • Burglary (2 rank, specialties; Breaking and entering )
  • Performing arts (1 rank, specialties; Singing )

DEFECTS (including any gained from factions)

• Blind Fury (AST) (-4pts, Anything to do with AST makes her upset/violent)
  • Phobia (Crosses Salt Paper Charms exorcisms) (-2pts Causes violent freak outs/running away)
  • Vunerability (Salt) (-3pts, (Having salt thrown on her makes her feel very ill and violent
  • Ookii Oppai  (-1pts, Ask Thunder-chan ;P)

steelsmiter

How about dem apples?
Just quote me, cut what I've put in spoilers back out, then paste it to your sheet.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

MistressVoluptas

Quote from: steelsmiter on April 14, 2014, 09:36:29 PM
How about dem apples?
Just quote me, cut what I've put in spoilers back out, then paste it to your sheet.

Yay Thank you so much sweetie! ^^

Vanetias

I am not sure on how do I use BESM 3rd edition, especially for characters...

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Vanetias on April 15, 2014, 02:24:53 AM
I am not sure on how do I use BESM 3rd edition, especially for characters...

I can help create your char like I did with pendarious in above (he needs just list his attributes like I suggested in PM). So PM me your char concept and I can hand walk you through the char gen process :).

Overall as said system is simple really once you get past all math in char gen.

Vanetias

Thanks. Though I will take long due to schoolwork.

Zaer Darkwail

It's fine for me, just give me general concept of the char (human or spirit) and I give suggestions how build it and do point spending. Above charsheets should give already ideas of potential and such.