Now that Valhalla is out, Viking RP?

Started by Primarch, November 15, 2020, 12:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Ragnar Lothbrok lies dead in the Northumbrian dirt, veins choked with Anglo-Saxon wroth and vipers venom.
Revenge was swift, his sons laid waste to the British Isles, splintering the land and slaughtering all whom opposed them.
The Viking Horde swept West, an insatiable force that brought Alfred the Great to his knees.

I ran this game before and it was quite fun. With the recent release of Assassin's Creed: Valhalla I'm hoping there might be some people with an interest in flexing that Viking RP muscle. The idea is to start our own little version of the Great Viking Army invasion of England in AD 865. One of the important parts I might stress is that while this is based on a historical period I intend for this to be a historic AU. We will replace historic individuals with our own characters and make it our own story. This is intended to be a long term game designed for players interested in world-building and plot development.   

Do I need to be a history buff to take part?
No. This is not intended to be strictly grounded in historic fact. Some knowledge of the era would be useful however. For those interested some 'helpful links' can be found below. 

Will you be 'GMing' the story?
Yes & no. This is a collaborative narrative. I will set up a Discord chat we can use to keep in contact, plot events, organise and world build. As the RP will require someone to guide & push the plot I'll be doing that but ideally I would like to invest as much energy as possible in playing the RP myself, as opposed to just running it for everyone else. 

I prefer playing as female characters, can I play a shieldmaiden?
Absolutely!

Are we limited to the Viking side or can I play a Saxon/English character?"
Not at the start. I would very much prefer to generate a healthy roster of characters on the Viking side (being the main focus of the plot). Once the RP gets established and builds some momentum we'll open up the characters on the other side of the conflict.   

~~~
Questions, Comments & suggestions are welcome.

Useful Links:
Viking era weapons & armour
The Great Heathen Army

[float=right][img][/img][/float][b]Character:[/b]
[b]Player:[/b]

[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Specialties:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Personality:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]History:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Relationships/Connections:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

[b]Additional Details:[/b]
[list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

WhatLiesAbove

WaitingCynicism

Skydancer

Cant pretend to know much about 'Assassin's Creed:'

However loved the 'Last Kingdom series' and do have quite a historical background of danish invasion of England including knowledge of Alfred the Great etc.

Definitely interested. But would like to know more

Sky

I am on Discord 

Primarch

Quote from: Skydancer on November 16, 2020, 10:53:39 AM
Cant pretend to know much about 'Assassin's Creed:'

However loved the 'Last Kingdom series' and do have quite a historical background of danish invasion of England including knowledge of Alfred the Great etc.

Definitely interested. But would like to know more

Sky

I am on Discord

Fortunately we won't be involving anything to do with Assassins Creed, I'm just hoping the release/popularity of the game has people seeking Viking RP.
Last Kingdom is a much better frame of reference. I got your PM with the Discord add, assuming we get a bit more interest I'll get a Discord server set up and add you.

If anyone is currently considering characters, I might advise at the early point the biggest need is probably Viking Kings/Jarls. Generally people in a position to contribute manpower to the Great Heathen Army.

Cold Heritage

I wouldn't mind giving it another kick at the can.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Elfaelle

"Always remember you're unique, just like everybody else"

Numerion

Current status: looking for play -> A/A

Primarch

Right. I'll post my own character here and give you an idea what I'm looking for.

You'll notice its rather brief as far as character sheets go. This is intentional. I'm happy enough to keep them brief and if people decide to take up multiple characters it won't be too much of a task.

Character: Haakon "Goldmane"
Player: Primarch

Role: King of Vestfold & Rogaland/Great Viking Leader
Specialties:

• Sword & Shield combat
  • Night Raids
  • Siege warfare

Personality:

• Faithful - Haakon believes in the Gods, that they are watching and that his actions will lead him to Valhalla.
  • Pragmatic - Haakon has little interest in how a situation should be or in theory, he has a strong preference for the reality of a situation before him.
  • Fierce - Possessing something of an aggressive and passionate disposition. Haakon has been described as 'intense' in several facets of his life, fierce in love & fierce in battle

History:

• Haakon was born in 830 AD, 37 years after the Lindisfarne raid.
  • Raised a Prince of Vestfold's and the heir presumptive to his father, King Lief
  • Haakon first met Ragnar Lothbrok in 845 during the Sack of Paris. It was his first major raid & battle. It proved to be a major event for young Haakon as it instilled his interest in West Frankia as a source of wealth and cultivated his later talent for siege warfare.
  • Succeeded his father in 851 AD, when he was 21 years old.
  • As King of Vestfold he led his people on Viking raids far and wide, chiefly aiming west but returned to Frankish territories every few years.
  • As his fame grew many warriors traveled to Götaland to journey with him in his raiding. This force also allowed him to defeat King Arnarson and take his petty Kingdom of Rogaland.
  • In 862 Canis worked his way up the Rhine and became the first Viking to plunder Cologne.
  • Haakon had resumed sacking Frankish territories when he received word of Ragnar Lothbrok's death in Northumbia. The Viking King dropped everything and his men sailed for Kattegat where he was one of four leading Vikings to raise a Great Army.

Relationships/Connections:

• To be completed as characters submitted/relationships plotted

Additional Details:

• Haakon is known as 'Goldmane' not due to his blonde hair but his occasional preference to wear golden rings woven into it.
  • Not surprising considering his time spent in Frankia but many of the weapons & armour found among Haakon's more veteran men are of Frankish origin, these were either plunder or gifts to keep him away.

CyranoDeBergerac

History buff, big fan of the era, very interested. Interested in playing either a ulfhednar or Goldmane's service or perhaps a Christian missionary. Still deciding.

Primarch

Well I'm happy enough with the interest expressed so far, if you guys want to start submitting characters. I'll set up the Discord once we have a few ready to go, then we can really get things moving.

Cold Heritage

Character: "Levin" Torsten
Player: Cold Heritage

Role: Prince of Hålogaland/Great Viking Leader
Specialties:

• Discipline/Good Order
  • Shield Wall
  • Heavy Armor

Personality:

• Cold - Torsten is cold. He lacks the boisterous nature common to his people does not show his joys or his sorrows.
  • Calm - Little unsettles and phases Torsten. He does not give in to fear or panic.
  • Iron-Willed - Torsten has a heart of steel. He can withstand that which would break the bravest, and bend the mightiest.

History:

• Born in Hålogaland, third son of King Hallbjorn and his second wife, Militsa, daughter of a Rus Boyar.
  • Spent much of his life with his Rus kin, plying the Volga Trade Route.
  • Inspired by the Byzantine army, Torsten cultivated his huscarls and hird into a group of well-drilled, disciplined professionals equipped with heavier armor than is typical of a Norseman.
  • Took part in the 860 Siege of Constantinople.
  • His sister married one of the sons of Ragnar. She was slain by Saxons who razed a settlement that Vikings established in English lands.
  • Torsten returns home to find his father abed with a wasting illness. His elder brother, Gandthor, will remain to protect the lands while Torsten sets sail with his own warriors and ship. The bulk of Hålogaland's forces followed under Torsten's second eldest brother, Rotulfr, to join the Great Army.

Additional Details:

• Torsten is a unique physical specimen. He is always the tallest and largest man in a room. Not the most skilled, or well-spoken, or famous, or most ruthless, but in matters of raw power, unmatched.
  • Torsten's troops are a mix of Norwegians and Rus warriors. They are staunchly loyal to him, oath-sworn and ring-bound. Some, mainly among the Rus, are Christian, but it is not a matter of schism among them.
  • Torsten and his warriors are tightly disciplined, well-drilled, and equipped with heavy armor of comparatively uniformity. The majority of his warriors wield weapons forged of crucible steel. They are battle-hardened and quick to respond to orders and they have come to be an unbreakable force, never fleeing in battle and withdrawing in good order if needed.
  • Of his siblings, Torsten only loved his sister. She alone showed him any love or kindness. Rotulfr also loved their sister, but his love was unwholesome and unseemly. That  drove a wedge between the two brothers, though Rotulfr never acted upon his loathsome desires he grew to hate Torsten and blamed his brother for preventing it.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Primarch

I'll leave this open for another couple of days, if anyone else wants to submit a character please feel free. If you have questions to help with your character feel free to PM me. Otherwise we can probably call it before going any further?

WaitingCynicism

still deciding for my guy as well - haven't had much time to sit down and make a character had a big paper to do

Elfaelle

I'm still in constuction of my character... I will keep you all updated
"Always remember you're unique, just like everybody else"

WhatLiesAbove

Skydancer

Character: Skade
Player:Skydancer

Role:  Shieldmaiden / Sorceress 
Specialties: Ability to read the Ruen's, fortell the future / mix herbs as a healer. 

• Ability to read the Ruen's
  • mix herbs as a healer
  • Supports the shieldwall

Personality:

• Aloof / disconnected
  • Assured of her future and of the people she encounters
  • Passionate and Sexual, and not afraid to use that.

History:

• Taken form her family and raised by a Jarl Lord and educated in the ways of sorcery.
  • Keen in becoming Queen of this new land - either by route of a husband or on her own.
  • Fearless

Additional Details:

• Not afraid of using her sexuality or her body to progress her aspirations.

Esmeralgirl

I remember being in the last one. I would love to join again :-)