News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrettyKittyToy

words
holy detritus!
it appears to be that mine own gargantuan vocabulary is massive and as foretelling as mine own ego!
or not :P

Jag

I feel well versed in verbiage. >.>
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Nadir

*rubs hir words against Michi's*

Jag

Beguile's Mistress

Shjade

Apparently Oniya and I couldn't hide our torrid love affair any longer: our shared dictionary studies have ratted us out.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Lithos

Is anyone else seeing huge difference between different tries? i got almost 5000 word difference between three first times between lowest and highest.. now of course getting abonrmally high cause i looked up the words that were strange to me, but even in very beginning it seemed that some "tries" were easier / harder than others.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Jag

I noticed that as well, Lithos. I tried it a second time and got a 21,000 that time.

Vekseid

Not sure, took it twice and my score barely moved from around 31,000.

Avis habilis

"Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 37,900 words"

Which is something of a surprise, considering how many of those were real headscratchers.

Mithlomwen

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 28,700 words.

I suppose that's pretty good.  :)
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Lord Mayerling

31,700. More, much more than I thought. I guess this literacy thing is workin' out.

Zillah

Considering how much I use the F word as my go-to adjective, that means nothing. :)

Peripherie

So my score was much lower than I expected so... I shall not be posting it. However, there is a website that might help those looking to improve their vocabulary (which I apparently need to do). It's called Number2.com. It's been around for quite a while and provides SAT/ACT prep but it also has a fun vocab builder.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Jag

Ellipsis

Quote from: Michi No Sora on December 28, 2012, 10:45:18 PM
I've always liked Free Rice.

YESSS! I totally forgot about Free Rice. I'd use it to help with my foreign language courses.

Athos

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

Not terrible.

Current roleplay status:  Looking for new stories.

"Weep," said Athos, "Weep, heart full of love, youth and life! Alas, I would I could weep like you!"

Kuroneko

Though I recognized nearly all of the words, there werea handful that my sleep deprived mind couldn't come up with a definition for on the spot.  Maybe I'll take it again when I'm not insomnia ridden.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Chris Brady

I looked at Dictionary.com for some of the words I THOUGHT I knew, but I left the ones I was wrong about (namely all of them except Pule) unchecked.

Which gave me 36,500.

That's what I get for reading AD&D books and dictionaries (yeah, I was that kid.  Seriously.  Looking up a word for me was like an hour long affair, I'd get distracted by other words and read what they meant.  And then remember the original word, then get distracted again...)
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 29, 2012, 06:54:11 PM
(yeah, I was that kid.  Seriously.  Looking up a word for me was like an hour long affair, I'd get distracted by other words and read what they meant.  And then remember the original word, then get distracted again...)

You know how some people get on Wikipedia and follow hyperlinks for hours?  I was doing that in grade school.  With real encyclopedias.  By the time dinner rolled around, I'd have half the set spread out on the family room floor.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

wxiyn

Not bad for a bilingual:)

words

Naiah

22,700 words

And wow yea the last page was O.O

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on December 29, 2012, 06:59:34 PM
You know how some people get on Wikipedia and follow hyperlinks for hours?  I was doing that in grade school.  With real encyclopedias.  By the time dinner rolled around, I'd have half the set spread out on the family room floor.
We never owned any encyclopedias, just various dictionaries.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that if we did, I'd have done the same thing you did, Oniya. ;D

I also think that in my case, being French-Canadian, and bilingual to boot, I got away with more words than I expected.  Cuz a lot of those later words were French, and I know the definition of them in both languages.  If I wasn't French and English, I likely would never have known, say...  Portmanteau.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

I knew portmanteau from Through the Looking Glass.  There's a bit where Humpty Dumpty is explaining the first stanza of Jabberwocky to Alice, and describes the word 'slithy' as a portmanteau, 'containing' the two words 'lithe' and 'slimy'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Neroon

That's where I first came across it too.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy