Hopefully Epic Non-Cannon Star Wars Game

Started by Urbanzorro, February 16, 2012, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanzorro

IC

It has been 16 years since the execution of Order 66; The Great Jedi Purge is still taking place and Emperor Palpatine has solidified his control of the galaxy. But already whispers of resistance can be heard. The seeds of descent have been sown and the future leaders of what will one day become the Rebel Alliance are beginning to plan and prepare for what lies ahead.

To say that the events which take place in these times will drastically shape the future of the galaxy is to make a great understatement.

The only real questions are, who will have the courage to take action...and what actions will they take?

OOC

Alright...... This is my idea thread for a non-cannon Star Wars Game. Now before you read any further you should know that when I say non-cannon I don't only mean that players will play non-cannon characters. I also mean that the actions taken by the players' characters can (and most likely will) alter the events of the history of the Star Wars universe. As for how that history is changed...that is entirely up to the characters' actions. SO basically I'm proposing a Star Wars game that offers players the ability to actually have a 'real' effect on the course of events in Star Wars history. IF (A) You're George Lucas(and in a bad mood) or (B) this concept is something that upsets you/violates everything you love about Star Wars. You probably shouldn't join this game. BUT if you're like me and think this is quite intriguing, then please voice some interest. I know that right now this seems a bit helter-skelter/unprepared. But this is just an interest check in the purest sense of the word. I'll be posting more information once I finish typing it up!

Also please voice interest by posting something along the lines of "I'm interested" in this thread. AND as always any questions and/or comments are welcome!
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Wyrd

Sounds good. You have my interest. :)  I wouldn't mind playing some sort of underground crime lord or something like that.
Ragtime Dandies!

Urbanzorro

Ok....For the purpose of keeping this game at least somewhat controlled and helping me make a single story out of what could easily become a number of separate ones. everyone's characters will need to fall into one of the following "Classes" these classes are very open to interpretation, I left them vague for a reason ;D

Imperial Positions
It should be noted that due to the Empire's anti-alien views all character's with Imperial positions must be human, or otherwise approved by the GM.

Special Operations Officer: An elite branch of Imperial Intelligence, Special Operations has a reputation for carrying out especially important or unsavory missions.

Unaffiliated Positions

Smuggler: Someone who engages in the clandestine shipment of goods or persons to prevent taxation or some other impediment. The goods shipped are often highly illegal or banned in some sectors. Smuggling has absolutely thrived under the Galactic Empire's strict control of goods.

Bounty Hunter: Mercenaries for hire who track down and capture or kill anyone with a price on their head, although they are also known for doing nearly anything for the right price including the protection of clients. The best bounty hunters are very well armed and have very effective weapons

Dark Jedi Also known as "Fallen" Jedi, are Force-sensitives, frequently former Jedi, who choose to deny the light side of the Force and/or follow the dark side. Although "Dark Jedi" originally referred to a Jedi who had fallen to the dark side, it can now also refer to uninitiated dark-side users who do not follow the teachings of the Sith or other dark side organizations.

Anti-Imperial  Positions

Dissident: Whether they be Imperial Senators, soldiers turned freedom fighters, former separatists, underworld leaders, or simply those who have had all they loved destroyed by the Empire. Palpatine's enemies are many. And while most through out the galaxy are cowed by fear into simply allowing the Empire to hold power some are unwilling to bear the shame, some seek to take action to restore freedom to the galaxy.

Jedi A member of the Jedi Order, who studies, serves and uses the mystical energies of the Force; usually, the light side of the Force. The weapon of the Jedi is the lightsaber, a weapon with a blade made of pure energy. Most of the galaxy's Jedi have been killed, turned to the dark side, or forced into hiding. Despite their small numbers the Emperor still views the Jedi as a great threat to his power and will stop at nothing to see them driven to extinction. 

Sith

Sith Apprentice  A Sith apprentice was an individual who has begun serious training under a Sith Master. Usually chosen by the Master himself or herself, after the potential apprentice has displayed an impressive act of loyalty or cruelty. Sith apprentices are analogous to Jedi Padawans, and the relationship between Sith Master and apprentice is the analogue to Jedi Knight and Padawan. A Sith apprentice's time as a student ends either with his or her death, or when the apprentice kills the master, takes on an apprentice of his or her own, and thereby ascending to the rank of Sith Master. *Note* I will only be accepting one Sith Apprentice to play the apprentice of my Sith Master character. They will not be affiliated with the Empire and will in fact be planning to overthrow the Emperor and Darth Vader in order to take control of the Empire in the name of what they believe to be the true Sith (themselves obviously).

Also, the above character classes aren't meant to limit people as much as to help me get things started and get a good story going. That having been said, if you have an idea that might not fit into one of these categories please tell me about it and we can see if we can make something work. I'd also like to ask for people to hold up on posting up characters at this moment. Discussing them is perfectly fine, as is asking questions. I just have a bit more to post up that deals with the character creation phase and is meant to insure the game is balanced for each and every player.

I currently intend to have the game be what I like to call limited freeform. In that the game will employ a few systemic elements. Specifically with regards to abilities/equipment available to characters at the game's start, with large amounts of room for characters to develop new skills and gain new tools (in a freeform manner) and a few limitations on writing combat sequences against the game world.

Put simply these limitations are along the lines of me (as GM) asking you to write your character's actions during combat  but not the results of said actions. For instance saying "My character draw's his blaster and fire's at the stormtrooper aiming for his head" is what I'm looking for as opposed to saying "my character draws his blaster, fires at the stormtrooper and hits him in the head." This allows me (as GM) to control the action in the game without the need for dice roles or any other such things.

Next on my to do list is character sheets and explanations on the limitations set on equipment/abilities.

Hope to see lots of interest in this game ;D

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Marie Reynolds

I would be interested in this just wondering since i am in the navy and currently on a ship if my posting is not always the most constant would that pose a major problem? Oh and would we be at least for background purposes keeping cannon in place and changing things in character?

Geradine

And you have a smuggler. *goes digging for starship designs*
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

Funguy81

i'm interested in this. I could play an imperial operative or a jedi. Though i have to ask, is this something where each player character are in their own story within the overall arch, and meet or not meet depending on what is going on?

antech

I am very interested in this but I have two questions:

1) Can we be grey jedi? (Who aren't part of the Jedi order/don't completely embrace the light side, but aren't dark side wielders)

2) What kind of scale are the force powers we're allowed? Because I'm a little apprehensive about Jedi pulling star destroyers out of the sky (you know who I'm talking about)

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on February 17, 2012, 07:53:22 PM
I would be interested in this just wondering since i am in the navy and currently on a ship if my posting is not always the most constant would that pose a major problem? Oh and would we be at least for background purposes keeping cannon in place and changing things in character?

If you were a starship captain, your time at sea could just be you off trading or on your own adventures? Then you meet up with the group at the next starport or pull a Han Solo and save somebody's skin out of nowhere?
O/O - - - - - Requests

Sorry if my replies are coming slowly for the next week or so - I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP though.

Geradine

Quote from: antech on February 17, 2012, 10:10:22 PM
If you were a starship captain, your time at sea could just be you off trading or on your own adventures? Then you meet up with the group at the next starport or pull a Han Solo and save somebody's skin out of nowhere?

She's talking about RL navy.
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

Marie Reynolds

I might have a concept in mind but ill wait for Urban to weigh-in.

antech

Quote from: Geradine on February 17, 2012, 11:27:44 PM
She's talking about RL navy.

I know, I mean that the character spending time in space doing his/her own thing would be a good IC way of explaining long OOC absences. In my opinion...
O/O - - - - - Requests

Sorry if my replies are coming slowly for the next week or so - I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP though.

elfguy

----

Bayushi

I'd be interested, as long as the GM doesn't disappear on us like the last time we had a non-canon Star Wars game running.

I'd even use the same character from said game.

Blobbe

I'm provisionally interested, though I want to know what section the game would be going in befroe I commit. I'm interested in the Dark Jedi and/or Sith apprentice positions, though Bounty Hunter is also appealing (and I'm flexible there)

Rhaegar14

Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Photo

I'm in. I'll be shooting for bounty hunter, going for the ultimate female bad ass in this one.

As much as i was half interested as i read the intro post. I'm legitimately excited now.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Urbanzorro

@Everyone: just wanted to say I'm very glad to see the interest. I'm currently in the process of finishing up my next big informative post which will be everything you guys will need for character creation. That having been said I'd like to address some of the things posted by you guys already with this little mini post.

@Wyrd, I think we can make that character idea work. Depending on how big time you want yo make him he could either be a smuggler or a dissident. It should also be noted that your class selection doesn't need to have too much baring on how you play your character. For example a smuggler could easily fall in with the barely forming Rebellion which you guys will probably shape/effect/even help( or hinder) to form.

@Marie Reynolds: I'm sure we can work something out. I actually think that antech's idea sounds pretty smart. I'm sure we can find an IC reason for your character to go off the grid in accordance with your time when you're not able to post. And to answer your second question. Up until now(in game terms) the Star Wars timeline has proceeded exactly according to cannon, and will so with the exception of the events your characters effect and a very few very minor tweaks to help the story.

@Funguy81: that depends on you guys ooc, if you want to be with someone feel free to plan it. If not it is possible for you to simply play a loner. Though even loners' stories will cross paths with other players'

@antech: You can play your character how ever you like, if you choose to be a Jedi but decide to play him as a grey one. That's your choice ;D And force powers will be regulated/kept from being too over the top (you'll see in the big post)

@Akiko: there will be no disappearing acts from the GM. You might have to redo the character's powers/items but her backstory is still fine.

@ KaylaM: It will probably go into non-con exotic(considering alien races)  just to be on the safe side. Though that doesn't mean that non-con stuff will have to happen. I just think that anything with the potential for possible non-con belongs in non-con. Better to disappoint some than to squick others in my opinion.

@Geradine: Glad to have you aboard.

@Elfguy: Glad to have you as well

@Rhaegar14: Cool, glad to see some interest in the apprentice slot. I was actually worried it wouldn't get any bites.

@Photo: Glad to have you too.

Also, with the exception of the apprentice slot there is to really a limit to how many of each character type there can be. You could all be smugglers or Jedi or dissidents. Though it will probably be more fun with a good mix.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

applesauce

Interested. Very interested.

Han solo style characters look out! A bounty hunter is me!

Rhaegar14

Is it going to throw a wrench in your big fancy post if I want to have a highly-customized lightsaber for my character? Because let me tell you what, the basic design has a fair number of flaws. XP
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

Blobbe

Quote from: Urbanzorro on February 20, 2012, 12:22:33 AM
@ KaylaM: It will probably go into non-con exotic(considering alien races)  just to be on the safe side. Though that doesn't mean that non-con stuff will have to happen. I just think that anything with the potential for possible non-con belongs in non-con. Better to disappoint some than to squick others in my opinion.

Thanks for being up-front with that. Taking that on-board, I'm going to drop out at this stage.

antech

Quote from: KaylaM on February 20, 2012, 05:58:17 AM
Thanks for being up-front with that. Taking that on-board, I'm going to drop out at this stage.

Me too I'm afraid.
O/O - - - - - Requests

Syberfang

dibs on sith apprentice. I have been really looking forward to a star wars rp for a long time

Rhaegar14

Quote from: Syberfang on February 20, 2012, 06:55:08 AM
dibs on sith apprentice. I have been really looking forward to a star wars rp for a long time

I'm afraid I beat you to that a few posts up, but considering our only Jedi just dropped out on account of the roleplay having the potential for non-con, I may switch.

Syberfang

damnit.... Okay if he doesn't switch can I be a sith assassin?

Primarch

Been a while since I played one of your semi-freeform games. I'd be interested in taking on a Special Operations Officer if you'll have me.

Funguy81

Well since someone called up tofr the operative, i'll pick up playing a dissident. someone that believes the ends justify the means.