News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Need to figure out which lead to get

Started by AmberStarfire, December 11, 2018, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

I have a new iMac (one of the current new models) and I want to connect an old Asus monitor to it, so I have dual screens.

I went into PC World over here and they told me they don't sell the cables, and that my best bet would be online. I'm honestly not sure what kind of connectors I should be looking for.

I could take a couple of pictures with my phone of the different ports. The Asus monitor is getting on in age now a bit (so it's not a recent one) but I've just been storing it the last few years.

AmberStarfire

This is the connector on the lead coming off the monitor. It has a screw thing on each side.

AmberStarfire

The Mac ports look like this:

If anyone could let me know, that would be great. :D

The Green One

You need a VGA to USB cable, Amber, I think that should work ^^

Not available for new stories

Oniya

The cable you've got there is also sometimes called a 'DE-15' (as well as a 'VGA').
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

The Green One

AmberStarfire

I've been looking on Amazon and on the VGA to USB ones, it says Windows only. It looks like I might need to connect it to the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port. I checked online and it has 2 of those.

The Green One

Um, if that's a Mac-only thing then I cannot help any further, but I guess you can find that kind of cable on Amazon, or at least a small adapter.

AmberStarfire

Okay. I'm not sure if I'm right about that or not. It just seemed like the ones I looked at with USB 3.0 said Windows only.

I'm thinking of getting this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARKTEK-Multiport-Converter-Recharging-ChromeBook/dp/B073CJBC9Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544566436&sr=8-3&keywords=vga+to+usb-c+cable+mac

It should work unless I'm missing something.

The Green One

Yes, that's the same I saw when I googled VGA to USB-C cable

AmberStarfire

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 11, 2018, 04:30:05 PM
Okay.  ;D It should work.

Yep that'll just work fine on the latest Macs with USB C ports :)

AmberStarfire