Music is a powerful thing!

Started by Brazen Endeavors, April 10, 2012, 11:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen Endeavors

I came across this through another Barbershop buddy.  It's one of those things that you see and you just have to share.

I haven't exactly kept it secret that my job is in a nursing home, where I work frequently with residents diagnosed with Alzheimer's/dementia.  I've always enjoyed singing with (or to) them, because they truly light up when I happen to find a song they remember from their younger days.  I sing "You Made Me Love You" just about every morning, because one particularly violent resident almost always calms down and sings along, allowing me the opportunity to clean her up and prepare her for the day.

Please watch and enjoy.

Old Man In Nursing Home Reacts To Hearing Music From His Era
..I want you.  I have seen you and I already love you.  My muse begs to lie in your arms; just for a moment.  I need you..
...come play with me?...
.:.o/o.:.intro.:.a/a.:.
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)

Xandria

What a wonderful video, thank you so much for sharing!  It brought back a rush of memories of my late grandparents; both of them had a life long love of music, and I fondly recall how happy they were whenever they listened to the songs of their youth.  I always thought of it as a gift because it gave me a little window to their past and a precious glimpse of what they were like so many years ago.     

The residents you care for are lucky indeed, to have someone who cares so much.  Personally, I think the staff in nursing homes are very special people, and don't get nearly enough credit for the amazing work they do. :-)
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. -Oscar Wilde

Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. - Albert Camus

Roleplay Frog

I just wonder if one day one or the other of us will be in the same situation..(and hopefully cared for equally).. if yes I'm in trouble, I'm a kid of the 90's we had no good music ~.~

Brazen Endeavors

Quote from: Xandria on April 11, 2012, 07:59:18 PM
What a wonderful video, thank you so much for sharing!  It brought back a rush of memories of my late grandparents; both of them had a life long love of music, and I fondly recall how happy they were whenever they listened to the songs of their youth.  I always thought of it as a gift because it gave me a little window to their past and a precious glimpse of what they were like so many years ago.     

The residents you care for are lucky indeed, to have someone who cares so much.  Personally, I think the staff in nursing homes are very special people, and don't get nearly enough credit for the amazing work they do. :-)

Thanks.  I find myself equally blessed to have a job I enjoy.

Quote from: Deva on April 11, 2012, 08:07:03 PM
I just wonder if one day one or the other of us will be in the same situation..(and hopefully cared for equally).. if yes I'm in trouble, I'm a kid of the 90's we had no good music ~.~

I'll play some LFO for ya, mwahaha.
..I want you.  I have seen you and I already love you.  My muse begs to lie in your arms; just for a moment.  I need you..
...come play with me?...
.:.o/o.:.intro.:.a/a.:.
(updated o/o - 7.16.12)