News:

Main Menu

Help NASA Name Node 3!

Started by Spookie Monster, February 28, 2009, 12:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

A short time ago I mentioned that the Space Telescope Science Institute needed people -- people like you -- to vote for what the Hubble Space Telescope would next squint at.  Well, now NASA needs your help!

NASA wants your opinion in naming the International Space Station's Node 3 -- a connecting module and its cupola -- before the two segments travel to space and are installed on the orbiting laboratory.  The name should reflect the spirit of exploration and cooperation embodied by the space station, and follow in the tradition set by Node 1 -- Unity -- and Node 2 -- Harmony.

Do you want to learn more?  Do you want to vote?  Great!  Do so here.

Spel

Now it's time to name the module if you dare...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Oniya

Unfortunately, there's no way to see what other people have put down as suggestions for the write-ins - I put down 'Stability', as it takes one object to be unity, at least two to have harmony, and it takes three points to create a stable structure.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Spookie Monster

I imagine that most of you clever maidens and monsters know about this already, but just in case:

Can a Comedian Take Over the Space Station?

NASA's naming contest for a new space station module now faces a fresh challenger in the form of comedian Stephen Colbert.

Colbert urged fans to put his name in the running on Tuesday's episode of his fake-conservative show "The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central, after dismissing the four NASA-chosen names --
Earthrise, Legacy, Serenity and Venture.

A follow-up:

NASA Won't Commit to 'Stephen Colbert' Space Module Yet

Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert has been talking up the International Space Station recently, but NASA is iffy on naming a new module at the outpost after the comedian even if he wins the U.S. space agency's online naming contest.

Hmm...

Spel

The papers tell us all about Colbert...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Will

I actually voted for it, yeah.  Why not?  That's hilarious.  It's just a module on a space station, it's not like it's the whole station itself.  They had better not back out on this!  I'll be so disappointed.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

For an update on this- this is the final voting results-

Earthrise 9%
Legacy 13%
Serenity 70%
Venture 8%

Top 10 Suggestions

COLBERT
MYYEARBOOK
GAIA
XENU
SOCIALVIBE
BUDDY
UBUNTU
TRANQUILITY
SYNERGY
VISION

1190437 users voted or submitted a name

Looks like the Firefly fans got something else with an agressive vote.  ::)

Oniya

Well, it helps that Serenity is a perfectly good English word, that fits well with Harmony and Unity in the whole peaceful cooperation schtick.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on March 29, 2009, 03:40:45 PM
Well, it helps that Serenity is a perfectly good English word, that fits well with Harmony and Unity in the whole peaceful cooperation schtick.

It does fit...I do think Gaia would have been a good pick as well, or at least for a future addition. I think it would lend some gravity to the whole green movement that we all have to retool ourselves into thinking.

For the record, I don't believe a module name should necessarily be 'a perfectly good English word'. I prefer to keep the International in the International Space Station. I believe the ISS is a powerful symbol; if we can work together in space, we can learn to do it down here too.

Oniya

I agree - however when your poll is put up on an English-language site, run by a body based in a largely English-speaking country, you're not likely to get equally appropriate words like 'ananda' (bliss in Sanskrit).

The Overlord

Doktor Sleepless

I think I voted for Serenity. Not as a Firefly fan (I like it, but I'm not a browncoat), but as a general scifi fan.

Quote from: The Overlord on March 29, 2009, 03:51:32 PMFor the record, I don't believe a module name should necessarily be 'a perfectly good English word'. I prefer to keep the International in the International Space Station. I believe the ISS is a powerful symbol; if we can work together in space, we can learn to do it down here too.

Like it or not, the international lingua franca since the end of WWII (and possibly before) has been English, same as French was before, and before that Latin...

The Overlord

Quote from: Doktor Sleepless on March 30, 2009, 01:40:14 AM
I think I voted for Serenity. Not as a Firefly fan (I like it, but I'm not a browncoat), but as a general scifi fan.

I wasn't being serious there, it was just a humorous elbow jab at the Firefly fanbase. Actually I respect anyone that sticks to their guns like that.

Quote from: Doktor Sleepless on March 30, 2009, 01:40:14 AM
ILike it or not, the international lingua franca since the end of WWII (and possibly before) has been English, same as French was before, and before that Latin...

True enough, but here's a case where I think NASA could be a leader again and break with tradition. If they were to take a name from Sanskrit I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Then again, we all know what Shakespeare said about names. If the module bolts onto the station and does its job, they can call it whatever they want...

Doktor Sleepless

Oh, I know. They should name it Tesla.

The Overlord

Tesla would make a great name for something, especially anything electrical like a solar array.

Actually, once the Orion class ships start flying that will replace the shuttle, I am curious to see what names will be chosen. Given the Star Trek influence that helped the test orbiter get the name Enterprise, I hope we can draw on sci-fi again. I'd love to see a new manned ships named after battlestars.

Galactica, Pegasus, Atlantia, Acropolis, Triton, Pacifica, Solaria, Prometheus, Valkyrie, Erasmus, Night Flight, Vortex, Mercury, Cerberus, and Rycon are all known battlestar names.

Doktor Sleepless

A shuttle named Galactica would rawk.

Kurzyk

Spookie Monster

Mmm...

NASA Might Name Toilet For Comedian Stephen Colbert

NASA may consider putting Stephen Colbert's name on a space toilet, after the comedian came out on top of the U.S. space agency's online naming poll for a new space module.

Mmm!

Stephen Colbert Challenges NASA Over Node Name

Comedian Stephen Colbert is pulling out all the stops in his campaign to have NASA name a new room of the International Space Station after him.

Mmm?

Spel

Sitting on a tin can...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Oniya

Quote from: Ziggy Speldust on February 28, 2009, 12:21:54 PM
The name should reflect the spirit of exploration and cooperation embodied by the space station, and follow in the tradition set by Node 1 -- Unity -- and Node 2 -- Harmony.

Could someone please explain to me what 'Colbert' has to do with 'Unity' and 'Harmony'?  I'm reminded of that whole 'One of these thing is not like the others' games that they have on the kiddie educational shows.

The Overlord

Yeah, the first thing that popped into my mind was Stephen Colbert, and I was failing to see the connection until I saw Spel's links.

Will

Quote from: Oniya on April 01, 2009, 07:16:59 AM
Could someone please explain to me what 'Colbert' has to do with 'Unity' and 'Harmony'?  I'm reminded of that whole 'One of these thing is not like the others' games that they have on the kiddie educational shows.

There is no connection.  It was just an effort to see if his fans could get his name on the module.  Who cares what the module is named, anyway?  I could see them being iffy about naming the whole station Colbert, but it's just one module.  They really need to stop taking themselves so seriously.  Either name the thing Colbert, or stop letting the public vote on names.

And yes, I voted for Colbert. :P  What can I say?  He's funny as hell.

- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

My point was that the initial criteria for the name included the idea that the three names have something in common.  Harmony, unity and serenity have a cohesive theme.  If - and this is a big if - they were to name it after a person, living or dead, it would be more appropriate to name it after a person influential in promoting 'harmony' and 'unity', not someone as self-serving and divisive as a political comedian.  (He even said 'I don't know what it [the node] is, but I want one.')

Personally, I think Denis Leary is funny as hell, but I wouldn't put his name on the space station either.

In addition, considering the international nature of the space station (as Overlord mentioned earlier), both Harmony and Unity can be translated into every language I can think of.  They are universal concepts.  Serenity also fits into this category.  All three concepts will continue to be relevant long after Stephen Colbert and even Firefly fade into obscurity.

Will

This is what I'm saying.  It's one piece of a space station.  Why are we so concerned with what it's named?  I'm not asking to name the whole thing "The Lewis Black International Space Station."  I'm just saying that if NASA wants the public to be interested in this, then they should name it what we as a majority choose to name it.  And given the economic difficulties going on right now, I would do whatever it took to endear myself to the public to avoid any cuts in my programs.

I just think they're taking themselves way, waaaay too seriously.

- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Will1984 on April 01, 2009, 09:21:24 AM
And given the economic difficulties going on right now, I would do whatever it took to endear myself to the public to avoid any cuts in my programs.

Back in the day, JFK got people looking towards the future by initiating the program to get a man on the moon.  In that light, I find this article oddly appropriate.

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on April 01, 2009, 09:31:14 AM
Back in the day, JFK got people looking towards the future by initiating the program to get a man on the moon.  In that light, I find this article oddly appropriate.

SWEET.  8-)

Oniya

According to the news this morning, the new node is going to be called 'Tranquility'.

Stevie-boy is getting a different honor.  Among the new equipment that is going to be sent up is the Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill.  So when it's time for the astronauts to get some exercise, they're going to be 'jumping on the C.O.L.B.E.R.T. to work out'.

http://www.fox8.com/entertainment/sns-ap-nasa-colbert,0,7955322.story